Any medical technologist out there

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gls5377

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am new to this forum and would first just like to say hello to everyone. Also, I have been out of college a couple years and started a career in medical technology but am unsatisifed. Anyway, I have decieded to pursue my medical interest and am applying to medical school. I was wondering if there are any former medical technologist out there that have applied to medical school and what kind of feedback (positive or negative) did medical schools give you regarding the field?

Members don't see this ad.

hey gls im an MT student myself and i know how you feel. med teching is cool and all but it really isnt that rewarding. ive had a couple of med tech friends that have gotten interviews because of there experience. but also a an adcom member for utsw med school told me that med techs dont get enough patient interaction and that that could be a negative. but an adcom memter at tcom told me that it was better than nothing. thats true, we gotta have more experience that the average 3.8 gpa and 35 mcat applicant, our expeiecne has to count for something. anyway i will send out my texas app in about a month and will be more than happy to post how everything goes. heck the lab accounts for almost 80% of all diagnosis. docs depend on us for alot of things. surely adcoms must know this, its gotta count for something. good luck.

hi
am an MT 3rd grade student
i am enjoing studing its subjects - specially genetics -
i well graduate and then enter the medical field

Members don't see this ad :)
MT Reem said:
hi
am an MT 3rd grade student
i am enjoing studing its subjects - specially genetics -
i well graduate and then enter the medical field
Hey y'all I am also a MT student at ASU trying to get into medicine. I have already interviewed and waiting for a decision from UofA. Anyway concerning our experiences, it is without doubt that we contribute to 80% of medical decision making, but in light of getting in med school, I think it is also helpful to have patient interaction. I volunteered in at 3 differents hospitals( ER, OR, cardiac depart).
Well good luck to us all.

I'm a MT (ASCP). Been working at a laboratory (core-general) for 2 years now at a childrens hospital. The degree has been wonderful. Able to make good money while waiting for medical school. All of my interviewers have been very positive on my choice of majors. Great background for medicine. :thumbup:

I'm an MT too. I was accepted to every school I applied to. Everyone looked on my degree as a positive. The lack of patient contact in our field was one motivating factor for me applying to med school. Good Luck!

jtorres said:
hey gls im an MT student myself and i know how you feel. med teching is cool and all but it really isnt that rewarding. ive had a couple of med tech friends that have gotten interviews because of there experience. but also a an adcom member for utsw med school told me that med techs dont get enough patient interaction and that that could be a negative. but an adcom memter at tcom told me that it was better than nothing. thats true, we gotta have more experience that the average 3.8 gpa and 35 mcat applicant, our expeiecne has to count for something. anyway i will send out my texas app in about a month and will be more than happy to post how everything goes. heck the lab accounts for almost 80% of all diagnosis. docs depend on us for alot of things. surely adcoms must know this, its gotta count for something. good luck.

Hi

This is to anyone on this thread. I'm a foreign trained dentist. I wrote the National Dental Board exam sometime ago, but didn't do well. Planning to do it again. On my last exam, one of the questions was "what is the rule of shift to the left in hematology? I know it's to do with laboratory work because my ex-boyfriend who's an MT mentioned it but I didn't pay much attention to what he said at that time :D and now we've broken up and not speaking to each other. So could anyone please tell me what it is? Your help is greatly appreciated :) . Thanks a lot in advance.

cheer_up said:
Hi

This is to anyone on this thread. I'm a foreign trained dentist. I wrote the National Dental Board exam sometime ago, but didn't do well. Planning to do it again. On my last exam, one of the questions was "what is the rule of shift to the left in hematology? I know it's to do with laboratory work because my ex-boyfriend who's an MT mentioned it but I didn't pay much attention to what he said at that time :D and now we've broken up and not speaking to each other. So could anyone please tell me what it is? Your help is greatly appreciated :) . Thanks a lot in advance.
If you are talking about WBC count, "shift to the left" means that instead of having mature myelocytes, myelobasts are predominant. This is significant for different disorders (chronic myelocytic leukemia or a leukoerythroblastic reaction). Of course you have to see the whole blood picture to know in fact what is going on.
Hope this helps!

gildas said:
If you are talking about WBC count, "shift to the left" means that instead of having mature myelocytes, myelobasts are predominant. This is significant for different disorders (chronic myelocytic leukemia or a leukoerythroblastic reaction). Of course you have to see the whole blood picture to know in fact what is going on.
Hope this helps!

sort of true. but this is just in leukemic instances. for the most part a "shift to the left" means an acute infection. the marrow in spitting up neuts that aren't fully mature (not segmented is the key here) to combat infection. you will mostly have bands. your WBC count will be in the 15-20 range. i have seen many CBC's were the wbc count is with in range but the analyzer flags for immature grans. the slide will show a metamyelocyte or myelocyte and rarely a promyelocyte. but then you do have those instances where you see blasts. hope that helps.

an actual MT (ASCP) now and still trying to get into med school. :laugh:

jtorres said:
sort of true. but this is just in leukemic instances. for the most part a "shift to the left" means an acute infection. the marrow in spitting up neuts that aren't fully mature (not segmented is the key here) to combat infection. you will mostly have bands. your WBC count will be in the 15-20 range. i have seen many CBC's were the wbc count is with in range but the analyzer flags for immature grans. the slide will show a metamyelocyte or myelocyte and rarely a promyelocyte. but then you do have those instances where you see blasts. hope that helps.

an actual MT (ASCP) now and still trying to get into med school.

:laugh:

Hi

Thanks a lot, Gildas and Jtorres, for your answers.

Best of luck to you with getting into med school. :luck: I really wished my ex-boyfriend were as ambitious and motivated about changing his career field as you guys. I tried convincing him to study dentistry or medicine...but absolutely no luck. I guess, he just loves his current job as an MT too much to do anything else....oh well....

cheer_up said:
Hi

Thanks a lot, Gildas and Jtorres, for your answers.

Best of luck to you with getting into med school. :luck: I really wished my ex-boyfriend were as ambitious and motivated about changing his career field as you guys. I tried convincing him to study dentistry or medicine...but absolutely no luck. I guess, he just loves his current job as an MT too much to do anything else....oh well....

thanks, MT can be pretty, i should'nt say fun, convenient. good hours and the pay is actually better than what people perceive it to be. have a good one.

did anyone see this overlake hospital video Bill Crounse Talking hospital tech with CIO Kent Hargrave of Overlake Hospital? it's worth a watch.