Any new grads having trouble finding work??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmend005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i just got accepted to PT school and i remember the faculty members at my school saying how easy it is for students to find work. I don't know if they're just saying that to get us excited for PT school or if it's actually the truth. I know very little about the recent problems in medicare and reimbursements and all that stuff, so i was just wondering:

1. are there any new grads out there who had trouble finding work in an area or setting that they would actually want to work in?

2. do you think future DPT's straight out of school will have trouble finding work?

3. Will average salaries for PT's decrease, increase, or stay the same within the next few years?

Any and all input would be helpful. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are so many PT jobs out there, you shouldn't have trouble finding a job right away. Most of my classmates had jobs before we even graduated. The hard part is finding the "perfect" job...if it even exists. Finding jobs in more well known facilities may be harder to come by too, but is possible.

Salaries will be dependent on what happens with medicare...

There are so many PT jobs out there, you shouldn't have trouble finding a job right away. Most of my classmates had jobs before we even graduated. The hard part is finding the "perfect" job...if it even exists. Finding jobs in more well known facilities may be harder to come by too, but is possible.

Salaries will be dependent on what happens with medicare...
ive also been told that it is difficult to find a job in pediatrics without experience. when i interviewed at one particular program the director of the DPT told me that. not sure why exactly but maybe thats something to consider.

also, when doing volunteer work, i spoke with a CI at one of the clinics i was at who was finishing his third year. he said he put his resume online and had people calling him every day. sounds like there are plenty of jobs out there, but most may be in areas that could be a little depressing/not very glamorous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pediatrics can be harder to get into without experience, but is possible. My program had a strong peds program so most found work from their clinical internships. Working in spinal cord injury units, burn units, wound care, cardiac, and high level sports facilities can be harder to get into, but with good clinicals you can get in right away. Outpatient ortho and general hospital settings are probably the easiest.

In NYC, hospitals can pay well (some start at 70-75K for new grads). Peds a lot less (55-60K). Outpt ortho varies quite a bit (60-70K). Again, insurance caps, especially medicare will limit salaries.

Check out Craigslist in your area to get an idea of jobs in your area.

Majority of my class had jobs within 3 months of graduation. Few had full-time work, but most people had something that made them money and gave experience. But yes it is hard to make ends meet when you are only finding 20-25 hours a week, as I did for the first 3 months.

Majority of my class had jobs within 3 months of graduation. Few had full-time work, but most people had something that made them money and gave experience. But yes it is hard to make ends meet when you are only finding 20-25 hours a week, as I did for the first 3 months.
do you think it was hard to find work because you were a new grad or because of the area you live in?