Any of you planning on living in a medical fraternity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baxt1412

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am touring the medical fraternity (Phi Chi) at my med school that i'll be attending in the fall.

It looks pretty nice on the inside, rent is as low as $200/month which includes everything (cable, internet, water, electricity, etc) and we also have a private chef that puts out simple buffet breakfast food during the week and cooks dinner 4x/week too.

It is coed, cross-class, and apparently they coordinate post-test get togethers, volunteer opportunities, etc.

It is also 0.5 miles from campus, so I wouldn't even necessarily have to park on/drive to campus very often.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds pretty sweet to me, aside from the whole "frat" thing.

Reactions: 10 users
Good clinical experience; lots of pelvic exams at the sorority houses, I expect, in addition to observing your own liver detox rate and coming up with tx options for those less-fortunate.

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. Haven't heard of med school fraternities before

Also congrats on your acceptance!

Reactions: 1 user
of course they have to, but they do market it specifically as not being like UG frats. they market it more as just a way to live cheaply and live in community with the other classes. there isn't a sorority either because it's coed lol.

looks like there are only a handful of active chapters, at least with Phi Chi

http://www.phichimed.org/public/main/chapters.htm

Sounds like an excellent idea to me. Can't get better than fun and cheap

it does seem pretty ideal to me. they said they split up the chores so that each house member (depending on how many move in... it can house 24 I think) does dishes about once per week and cleans one common room once per month or so. pretty good rotating schedule I'm guessing. then whole house deep clean once per semester.

I just think it'd be nice to be constantly in community with your peers

Sounds basically like a residential community that happens to be called a "frat". Not many downsides to a deal like that.

Dinner 4 times a week made by someone else? TAKE IT TAKE IT TAKE IT!!

Reactions: 5 users
Dinner 4 times a week made by someone else? TAKE IT TAKE IT TAKE IT!!

I'm super controlling about my food.. but definitely hard to turn that down lol.

I'm living at home right now in my gap year and my mom joked that the rent at the frat house is cheaper than at home and I get more homecooked meals :p

Reactions: 1 users
There's so little free time the way it is. Not having my own place would really get under my skin. Even with the bonus food!!

Reactions: 3 users
There's so little free time the way it is. Not having my own place would really get under my skin. Even with the bonus food!!

see I actually wanted to have roommates. I was an RA in UG for 3 years so I never had a roommate then, so it's living vicariously for me haha. Plus, I am not a "study at home" person, so I plan on doing most of my studying on campus and then just returning home for light studying, relaxing, eating, etc.

One thing to possibly consider is if it's a dry house. You're going to need beer to get through medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am 99% sure it isn't because they put on class/school/post-exam events at the house they say but I will be sure to ask lol

Wasn't even aware there were such things. Hmm.
Personally I would DEFINITELY do it. Not only the nice price/meals, but I'd love to be around other med students so frequently. Being around others makes me feel more accountable for staying on track study-wise. That'd be the biggest benefit imo.

Wasn't even aware there were such things. Hmm.
Personally I would DEFINITELY do it. Not only the nice price/meals, but I'd love to be around other med students so frequently. Being around others makes me feel more accountable for staying on track study-wise. That'd be the biggest benefit imo.

I was thinking the motivation would be higher that way too... when you go home and have the chance of one of your classmates asking you a question about the day's material, you have to know it well lol. and just on the other hand too, you have the opportunity to ask others as well.

a doctor I know from the same school said he had friends in the frat and they always had the best knowledge about tests and rotations and what not.

unless the place is a dump (doubt it is) I will likely end up there.

That doesn't sound too bad, but I'd be really hesitant to share common spaces with more than 3-4 people (i.e. living rooms). Also, just living in my room all the time sounds pretty awful. How are the common spaces set up?

That doesn't sound too bad, but I'd be really hesitant to share common spaces with more than 3-4 people (i.e. living rooms). Also, just living in my room all the time sounds pretty awful. How are the common spaces set up?

i'll have more info for you tonight. I'm touring in about 4 hours.

I quite enjoyed the tour. Basically what sells me on it is the community. One guy in particular said it was the best decision he thought he had made because he was able to get endless advice from upperclassmen. Thats worth more than any savings in rent, in my opinion.

Also, it is not a dry house. It seems to be a rather wet house lol. (Nothing like typical Hollywood UG frat though)

Didn't know that undergrad fraternities were unpopular here.

But with you situation OP, I'd go with it. Seems like a really nice way to get through medical school. But be careful because $200/month for rent and all those amenities sounds too good to be true. See the living conditions and what's expected from you living there.

Do it, it sounds great and fits your needs. It is cheap, has other med students as resources, low workload, and you enjoy the company of others. The only thing that you will need to shuffle is your dietary concerns which might not be a problem when you tell them.

I enjoyed my tour a lot last night. Yeah the rent for M1s won't be as cheap as $200/month because you're required to be on the house meal plan, but that is only like $40/week I think they said.

They only throw sizeable parties about twice a semester they said, other than that it's just a small group of friends getting together if it's anything.

Lots of study spaces to fit everyone's liking
Rooms are... rooms. I mean it's no Hilton, but like most of them said, you won't be in your room a ton.
It really affirmed my thoughts that this could be great for me.

They used to do first come first serve but have ended up with some... less than stellar roommates before, so they are doing more of an application process now. They basically said that the only qualification is that you're a pretty normal person, and then it's probably mostly first come first serve after that and it's pretty early for UNMC so I have good feelings that I'll be able to get in. They also try to give preference to people who plan on being there more long term instead of just a year which I plan on staying there all four years unless circumstances change (ie family or something). I just don't see a reason not to.

There is a good mix of M1-M4, obviously less M3/M4, but definitely not super heavily dominated by either end of the spectrum.

Nice laundry facilities, entertainment options, etc. Overall just a really nice house and the community seems great there. There were about 10 students all eating dinner together and the food was good.

Is there a per semester cost on top of the 200/month and 40/week?

Jefferson has three med frats. They're great.

Are these all Phi Chi, or are there other frats? Never knew med school frats existed, and I can only seem to find Phi Chi info online.

Is there a per semester cost on top of the 200/month and 40/week?

I think there is a one-time membership fee, a deposit, etc. but other than your rent and meal plan there isn't anything as far as I am aware. Their projected rent number says it includes internet, electricity, heating, etc.

The house is old obviously so they have window A/C units which are I think $10/week to use. At that point, it may be worth buying your own if they'd let you.

I should also clarify that I do not know if I will be paying that $200/month, they advertise it as "rent AS LOW AS $200/month". I'm sure it depends on which room you end up in, what year you are, etc.

see I actually wanted to have roommates. I was an RA in UG for 3 years so I never had a roommate then, so it's living vicariously for me haha. Plus, I am not a "study at home" person, so I plan on doing most of my studying on campus and then just returning home for light studying, relaxing, eating, etc.

I have a SO so the frat life wouldn't go over so well!

I study on campus mainly too, but being introverted I like to get away from everything once in a while.

It would be nice having cheap rent and food though!

I have a SO so the frat life wouldn't go over so well!

I study on campus mainly too, but being introverted I like to get away from everything once in a while.

It would be nice having cheap rent and food though!

yeah not so sure you want to be married in a "frat house" lol. roommates with a SO usually doesn't tend to work out well. I may end up studying mostly on campus too, just because I was never a "study at home" person, but at least I still have people to rely on when I do call the studying quits for the day, etc. they have super smash bros breaks, eat dinner together mostly, etc. so lots of positive mental health

sounds wayyy too good to be true. There has to be a cache! I dont see how a fee of 200 or even higher would cover rent, a private cook, and whatever else.

sounds wayyy too good to be true. There has to be a cache! I dont see how a fee of 200 or even higher would cover rent, a private cook, and whatever else.

the meal plan money covers the food ($40/week or so) * 12 = $1900/month for food and chef's paychecks... I know breakfast is like oatmeal, yogurt, etc so really low cost there. dinner was definitely modest too, it's not like we were having NY strip

$200/month * 20 current residents = $4,000 (for a house w/out a mortgage)

I know when we were walking around everyone was really good about keeping lights off which obviously lowers the electric bill quite a bit.

I don't think it sounds that impossible

It's already enough that you have to spend regular lecture hours with neurotics peeps... but now you want to live with them? lol, I kid.

The benefits seem good. Low rent, volunteer opportunities, and academic focused roomies (likely quiet). It sounds like a real sweet deal.

Now I'm depressed my school doesn't have a co-ed fraternity. Note to self: Start a co-ed fraternity.

haha thanks guys, yeah they used to be a "First come first serve" type of membership/tenant, but now they are essentially doing applications. they basically said they just want to make sure people are normal before they get let in... they've apparently had a few hoarders, complete gunners, etc.

Is this a local fraternity or a national fraternity?? If national, generally you gotta pay dues (if its anything like UG)

Is this a local fraternity or a national fraternity?? If national, generally you gotta pay dues (if its anything like UG)

it's national and they said it was like a $100 lifetime membership

I am a member of the Phi Chi Grand Chapter. Feel free to PM with questions. Most chapters are co-ed except for Omicron (Tulane) and Chi (Jefferson). National dues are $100 for a lifetime membership.

I am a member of the Phi Chi Grand Chapter. Feel free to PM with questions. Most chapters are co-ed except for Omicron (Tulane) and Chi (Jefferson). National dues are $100 for a lifetime membership.
what if you were in a UG frat/sorority...is that a problem?

Thanks @IncognitoGuy. I lived in a Phi Chi house for a year. It was one of the best decisions I made. I only moved out so that I could live with my girlfriend. I'm also here to answer any questions. But Pls PM me. My SDN app is being super funky; so I don't regularly get forum notifications.
what if you were in a UG frat/sorority...is that a problem?
No, that's not a problem at all.