Any older Pharmacy students out there with advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Erbium

1st Year Pharmacy Student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
***EDIT: Thanks for all of the kind responses from everyone!***

Hi all! Long time lurker on SDN hoping for some help.

I'm a P1 and I will be turning 40 this year. The students and instructors at my school really push getting involved in all the clubs and frats. I've been trying, but it has been crazy awkward for me. Some of my classmates have only recently turned 21 and most of them are only a couple of years older than that. The few people who found out my age had to collect their jaws from the ground and then proceeded to treat me like I was a bit weird. I know I'm just a few weeks in, but I worry that I won't be able to connect with people and develop any kind of network that can help me in the job market. I had to move across the state, too, to go to my school so my normal support network is not accessible. Also, because of my age, I was a loner during undergrad (having to work full time and all that) so I don't even have a group I know from there.

Anyone else in a similar situation past or present? How did you deal with it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all! Long time lurker on SDN hoping for some help.

I'm a P1 and I will be turning 40 this year. The students and instructors at my school really push getting involved in all the clubs and frats. I've been trying, but it has been crazy awkward for me. Some of my classmates have only recently turned 21 and most of them are only a couple of years older than that. The few people who found out my age had to collect their jaws from the ground and then proceeded to treat me like I was a bit weird. I know I'm just a few weeks in, but I worry that I won't be able to connect with people and develop any kind of network that can help me in the job market. I had to move across the state, too, to go to my school so my normal support network is not accessible. Also, because of my age, I was a loner during undergrad (having to work full time and all that) so I don't even have a group I know from there.

Anyone else in a similar situation past or present? How did you deal with it?

If it makes you feel any better I'm 24 and generally dislike the majority of my class. Combine that with the fact that I'm very introverted and you can imagine I'm in the same scenario. I just found 2-3 people that I like and talk to them on a daily basis and forget about trying to be friends with everybody.

As far as networking the impressions and connections that you make with preceptors, pharmacy owners, and key professors will carry you much further than being in some club. If you are looking to go the retail path you should get an internship and build a strong reputation with your manager and the district manager. Same thing with hospital if you are looking for a residency, though with residency they are a little more targeted in that they are also looking for specific leadership/volunteer/teaching experience.

Use your first year to two to decide what you want to do and then construct your CV based on that goal. Likely residency will require more extracurricular involvement than retail (or community pharmacy as it's apparently called...)

Reactions: 2 users
If you want a job upon graduation, forget about clubs and frats. Get a job at a chain, prove yourself, etc. We had at least 12 people similar in age to you in my class, plus 20 more international students who joined us in P2. You won't talk to majority of ur classmates after graduation anyways.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there people within your age range in your class? Try to hang out with them but this may be difficult if they or you have a family.

The reality is - everybody needs friends in pharmacy school. You need them to trade notes, to discuss case studies, to study together, to network and to share important information.

You need a support group. This is essential. It is like being a prison for 4 years. You need friends.

I wouldn't join a club or fraternity unless you have a passion for it. Join a service club and volunteer. That helps. If you want to get involved, run for a class position. Age and life experience may actually help you there and it is an easier way to get to know your classmates and for them to know you.

I don't know about you but I feel like I am not as sharp now that I am in my 30s vs 20s. This means I would have to spend more time studying so don't think you are going to have as much time for clubs, fraternities, etc.

Remember to work, work, work. That is the key.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks, Idiot. The residency thing is what gets me since I definitely want to have that path open (residency is so competitive where I am, only 30% of the people who applied for one last year got one). I'll land an intern job eventually (I was a tech for a long time, someone will hire me) and I've got a volunteer position nailed down. But you're right, I probably just need to calm down... can't be friends with everyone. :)

If you want a job upon graduation, forget about clubs and frats. Get a job at a chain, prove yourself, etc. We had at least 12 people similar in age to you in my class, plus 20 more international students who joined us in P2. You won't talk to majority of ur classmates after graduation anyways.
Thanks for the reply! My class has a couple of somewhat older students, but I think I'm in the top for this particular class. I will definitely get a job and work my ass off. I was a tech for a long time so hopefully I'll get that job thing nailed down soon! :)

Thanks, Idiot. The residency thing is what gets me since I definitely want to have that path open (residency is so competitive where I am, only 30% of the people who applied for one last year got one). I'll land an intern job eventually (I was a tech for a long time, someone will hire me) and I've got a volunteer position nailed down. But you're right, I probably just need to calm down... can't be friends with everyone. :)

Yeah I'd just volunteer to be a lab assistant next year for the basic compounding lab... super easy and knocks out the teaching component. Research isn't as necessary but can be knocked out over a summer or you may even be able to take a research elective and check that off your list. You already have volunteer experience and will get an internship. You just need to be in 1-2 clubs on paper and get a leadership role in something... then you target hospitals for your rotations. Really at the end of the day the key is the residency interview... if you can do your rotations at a place that you want a residency (or even work there) then you can really take the opportunity as if it were a job try out. Lots of people build connections this way... a lot better than just sending them a piece of paper and hoping for a call. Much more worth your time and more effective than joining some journal club to talk about obscure and pointless topics.

Thanks for the reply! My class has a couple of somewhat older students, but I think I'm in the top for this particular class. I will definitely get a job and work my ass off. I was a tech for a long time so hopefully I'll get that job thing nailed down soon! :)

You're a 40 year old P1 trying to fit in with the younger crowd??? If I were you, I would concentrate on getting real world experience so that you can get a job when you graduate.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there people within your age range in your class? Try to hang out with them but this may be difficult if they or you have a family.

The reality is - everybody needs friends in pharmacy school. You need them to trade notes, to discuss case studies, to study together, to network and to share important information.

You need a support group. This is essential. It is like being a prison for 4 years. You need friends.

I wouldn't join a club or fraternity unless you have a passion for it. Join a service club and volunteer. That helps. If you want to get involved, run for a class position. Age and life experience may actually help you there and it is an easier way to get to know your classmates and for them to know you.

I don't know about you but I feel like I am not as sharp now that I am in my 30s vs 20s. This means I would have to spend more time studying so don't think you are going to have as much time for clubs, fraternities, etc.

Remember to work, work, work. That is the key.

I'm at the top of the age range for my class, I think. I will work on meeting a more people, but I definitely have to study more than when I was younger and I definitely can't go out to the beer bashes that have already begun. The appeal of clubs is lost on me in the sense that I need to work for a living (can't be 45 with an s***ton of loans) and study a bit more than the others. I will take your advice about volunteering and running for a position. I have noticed that I have an easier time with speaking up in front of people and with having casual conversations with the professors which I will attribute to age and experience!

This is making me feel much better! Not the prison part, mind you, but everyone's responses. :-D

You're a 40 year old P1 trying to fit in with the younger crowd??? If I were you, I would concentrate on getting real world experience so that you can get a job when you graduate.

I wouldn't say that I'm trying to fit in. I'm just trying not to let opportunities pass by, if the clubs and professional frats are good opportunities. The age difference makes that very awkward, which is why I was trying to figure out how I should handle all of the "get involved" pressure. I was a tech for 12 years and working on landing an intern position, so I've got work experience. Thanks!

Yeah I'd just volunteer to be a lab assistant next year for the basic compounding lab... super easy and knocks out the teaching component. Research isn't as necessary but can be knocked out over a summer or you may even be able to take a research elective and check that off your list. You already have volunteer experience and will get an internship. You just need to be in 1-2 clubs on paper and get a leadership role in something... then you target hospitals for your rotations. Really at the end of the day the key is the residency interview... if you can do your rotations at a place that you want a residency (or even work there) then you can really take the opportunity as if it were a job try out. Lots of people build connections this way... a lot better than just sending them a piece of paper and hoping for a call. Much more worth your time and more effective than joining some journal club to talk about obscure and pointless topics.
Nice! Great advice! I will ask about the lab assistant thing; I worked in a compounding pharmacy for 10 years, so that should help.

I was older than most of my class (I was 27 when I was a P1). I recommend joining a pharmacy fraternity like Kappa Psi or Phi Delta Chi. It really helped me make some close friends that became my support group and it made getting notes from missed classes a breeze. It also gets you more interaction with the professors that are active in the frat and that can pay off later. Go to the parties. Use your age and your work history as a strength. Your classmates get to talk to someone who has lots of tech experience (I assume) and is older than them so you've had a chance to experience more life events, like being an adult and living on your own with bills so they can learn a lot from you.

My advice is to withdraw from the program and get as much refunded back ASAP before you're 200k deep.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm at the top of the age range for my class, I think. I will work on meeting a more people, but I definitely have to study more than when I was younger and I definitely can't go out to the beer bashes that have already begun. The appeal of clubs is lost on me in the sense that I need to work for a living (can't be 45 with an s***ton of loans) and study a bit more than the others. I will take your advice about volunteering and running for a position. I have noticed that I have an easier time with speaking up in front of people and with having casual conversations with the professors which I will attribute to age and experience!

This is making me feel much better! Not the prison part, mind you, but everyone's responses. :-D

I don't like student loan debt but if you are going to be 45 when you graduate then I don't see how you are going to pay it off assuming you have > 150 k. So what is the point? Borrow what you need and then get on income based repayment. I don't see the point of you working butt off until you are 65 just to pay it off. You will probably pay 10-15% of your income for the rest of your life, even when you are collecting social security. That sucks but it is still better than being a pharmacy tech right?

Yes, I am telling someone to borrow and get on income based repayment!

My advice is to withdraw from the program and get as much refunded back ASAP before you're 200k deep.

Ok. That's not necessary. I won't be 200K in debt when I'm out. Also, am I supposed to be a tech making minimum wage until I'm dead? I don't think so.

I forgot to tell you...age discrimination is widespread in this profession. I remember when we were going to interview this pharmacist and another interviewer make sure I notice his pharmacy school graduation year. A subtle way of saying, "this guy is old; we will need a lot of time to train him; he will need help". Yeah it sucks.

I don't like student loan debt but if you are going to be 45 when you graduate then I don't see how you are going to pay it off assuming you have > 150 k. So what is the point? Borrow what you need and then get on income based repayment. I don't see the point of you working butt off until you are 65 just to pay it off. You will probably pay 10-15% of your income for the rest of your life, even when you are collecting social security. That sucks but it is still better than being a pharmacy tech right?

Yes, I am telling someone to borrow and get on income based repayment!

Yes. It's better than being a tech. We are trying really hard for me to NOT have a ton of debt. My school is cheap and my partner is a software engineer and he is helping. I didn't want to get into a discussion about money because it does freak me out, but again... I can't be a tech forever. I COULD. But I personally can't. It's a dead end and I don't use my brain.

Ok. That's not necessary. I won't be 200K in debt when I'm out. Also, am I supposed to be a tech making minimum wage until I'm dead? I don't think so.

No one said you have to be a tech, but making minimum wage is better than making $0 with 6 figures of high interest debt. I said it before... there are (young) people in the class of 2013 who are still unemployed. You think you have a better shot than them in 2020 or whenever you graduate? At least they still have time on their side to go into another field.

You're setting yourself up for failure by going to pharmacy school in this market and at your age. The typical PharmD who gets a full time job offer (many only get part time, per diem or contract positions) only gets 30 hours instead of 40. Pharmacists get laid off or get hours cut every year. Look at what happened in the past couple years: CVS bought Omnicare and Target and got rid of 24 hour stores (more to come), Walgreens got rid of 24 hour stores, Walgreens bought Rite Aid and has to sell/close 1000 stores, Wal-Mart closed around 240 stores, etc.

When's the last time you saw a job posted for full time hospital pharmacist? Most of them only offer per diem now. Many residents don't even have a job lined up and fall back on CVS/Walgreens, so there goes another 2 years wasted making only 40k while the juice on the student loans piled up.

Just look at the threads in this forum, like the one with the pharmacy offering pharmacists $38/hr. It's only going to get worse. I know it's not what you want to hear but you asked for advice and this is the most financially sound advice you will get.

No one said you have to be a tech, but making minimum wage is better than making $0 with 6 figures of high interest debt. I said it before... there are (young) people in the class of 2013 who are still unemployed. You think you have a better shot than them in 2020 or whenever you graduate? At least they still have time on their side to go into another field.

You're setting yourself up for failure by going to pharmacy school in this market and at your age. The typical PharmD who gets a full time job offer (many only get part time, per diem or contract positions) only gets 30 hours instead of 40. Pharmacists get laid off or get hours cut every year. Look at what happened in the past couple years: CVS bought Omnicare and Target and got rid of 24 hour stores (more to come), Walgreens got rid of 24 hour stores, Walgreens bought Rite Aid and has to sell/close 1000 stores, Wal-Mart closed around 240 stores, etc.

When's the last time you saw a job posted for full time hospital pharmacist? Most of them only offer per diem now. Many residents don't even have a job lined up and fall back on CVS/Walgreens, so there goes another 2 years wasted making only 40k while the juice on the student loans piled up.

Just look at the threads in this forum, like the one with the pharmacy offering pharmacists $38/hr. It's only going to get worse. I know it's not what you want to hear but you asked for advice and this is the most financially sound advice you will get.

I appreciate that you think you are trying to help. However, I wasn't asking for financial advice nor for an opinion on my choices. With respect, you do not know my life or financial situation. And I do know the state the market is in. It does worry me, but that is not something I wanted to hash out in this thread. Thank you, though.

I was older than most of my class (I was 27 when I was a P1). I recommend joining a pharmacy fraternity like Kappa Psi or Phi Delta Chi. It really helped me make some close friends that became my support group and it made getting notes from missed classes a breeze. It also gets you more interaction with the professors that are active in the frat and that can pay off later. Go to the parties. Use your age and your work history as a strength. Your classmates get to talk to someone who has lots of tech experience (I assume) and is older than them so you've had a chance to experience more life events, like being an adult and living on your own with bills so they can learn a lot from you.

I think there is significant difference being 27 and almost 40, like the original poster. People say age is only a number, but I don't think what you suggest is realistic. Just my opinion.

I am as pessimistic and down on pharmacy as anyone , but guys lay off this poster. If he still wants to do pharmacy after being a tech for 12 years, this means he meant to be an RPh. Hopefully, you've established some connections during ur tech days and you will build on that. I have a feeling you will be successful and happy being an RPh.

Reactions: 3 users
I got the impression that Erbium is a woman.

Yes. It's better than being a tech. We are trying really hard for me to NOT have a ton of debt. My school is cheap and my partner is a software engineer and he is helping. I didn't want to get into a discussion about money because it does freak me out, but again... I can't be a tech forever. I COULD. But I personally can't. It's a dead end and I don't use my brain.
Just wondering, why not go software engineering instead? Job prospects are much better compared to pharmacy, gross pay is often just as good, and you get to use your brain more than in pharmacy all without the astronomical amount of debt and 4 additional years of schooling.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Just wondering, why not go software engineering instead? Job prospects are much better compared to pharmacy, gross pay is often just as good, and you get to use your brain more than in pharmacy all without the astronomical amount of debt and 4 additional years of schooling.

I would have to go to more school to be an engineer. Plus, I'm bad at it. I've taken computer science and coding classes and I suck at it. There is always some piece of logic I miss and my code doesn't work like it should. Makes sense because I also always sucked at logic puzzles. There are enough hack/half-ass software engineers out there without me adding to it. The things I hear from my boyfriend make me fear for our country's technology infrastructure.

Believe me, if I could relive my life I would do things differently as far as timing goes. I can't though, so here I am. I didn't just pick this field out of a hat based on earning potential and how easy I think it might be (I want to slap a few of my fellow students for this). I really do love it. I love it enough that I don't know what else I would do. That's why I was hoping this thread wouldn't turn into a discussion about the market & money. I just needed advice navigating social stuff that I'm not accustomed to. C'est la vie. Thanks for being kind.

We had several people in their late 40s in my class, and one person who must have been 60 years old. I don't know how they did it. I couldn't imagine taking 4-8 years out of my life to learn a new profession at that age. My fear is that we may all face that decision in the next 10-15 years.

I'm not sure if you missed the part where they said they have been a pharmacy technician for TWELVE YEARS. Ease up on the job switching recommendations; if somebody could bear being a technician that long and can get into school and graduate with little debt, more power to them and they deserve this opportunity. They've likely been a tech since before you even considered going to pharmacy school.

Reactions: 2 users
@Erbium, I went back to pharmacy school a little later in life (wasn't yet 40, but still above the mean in terms of age and already married). Honestly, give the clubs and frats another try. I joined a frat and I loved it, and I wasn't the only older student in my chapter either. Find one, maybe two clubs that you like a lot and get really involved with them; it's a lot easier to go to an interview and talk about one thing that you were committed to rather than a bunch of stuff that was half-assed, plus you'll see the same people repeatedly and have more chances to build friendships with them. Again, I found that frat membership was great for that, especially in terms of getting to know people from upper classes. You don't say whether or not you have kids; if you don't, this will be a bit easier.

Also, you're still really early on in school! Chances are the beer blasts will die down a bit after the first exam happens and everyone realizes that pharmacy school is different from undergrad. ;)

@Erbium , I went back to school pretty late as well (just not yet 40). I also knew quite a few in my class who were 40+, married with kids.... Don't worry about your age. In fact, it is a significant advantage. I've seen way too many immature KIDS who aren't fit to be professionals yet.

I was 30 when I graduated. I didn't join any clubs, besides on paper. I worked; a lot. I had a few close friends and everyone else I was just positive with. A few cliques I wasn't completely indoctrinated into but I certainly wasn't excluded. I went out to eat when I was invited, that sort of stuff.

I was on the opposite end (the youngest in my class) and couldn't drink (legally) the entirety of my pharmacy school time. Did I mention that the Dean of Students (Discipline) happened to also be the incumbent Pharmacy State Board President at the time, so if you screwed up, you really screwed up? So, the frat scene was out (by necessity). That didn't turn out to be a big problem for me. A lot of KP and PDX married into each other (it was a matchmaking service during my time). Then as now, I'd be real cautious about dating my classmates (or the non-RPh faculty) in the same way that I would my coworkers.

If you really feel that you want to associate with your classmates, I'd try to find some athletic or some intellectual activity to do with them. I think you're too old to really do the alcohol semi-poisoning thing. However, I found that we were too busy working and having separate lives to really bond more than trivially in most cases.

Also, you're definitely not the oldest student I've seen nor do I think that the generation gap is too far to bridge.

I was older (mentally) than a great majority of my class. It is possible, although age discrimination is a bitch and I've seen it happen. Think outside the box, you've seemed to narrow your choices based off your prior experiences. Don't join a frat, just network your ass off and be friendly. You don't need a frat for either one of those + save your $$ with those dumb ass dues. ASHP/APhA covers all of your extracurricular activities. Find that one solid, reliable classmate who is well connected, so you're in the loop of things and remain friendly. Good Luck

Then as now, I'd be real cautious about dating my classmates (or the non-RPh faculty) in the same way that I would my coworkers.

I doubt that'll be an issue for this person since they mentioned that they have a partner. ;)

As for the frat scene, it varies a lot from school to school and chapter to chapter. Mine had two frats: Frat A was known for community service and good friendships and Frat B was known for alcohol and very little else. I joined Frat A, and it had a huge positive impact on my pharmacy school experience. Most of the people I knew in Frat B didn't even stay in after their first year.

My advice is to be friends with everyone, but don't go out of your way to do so. Use those people for networking and help, and just be generally nice/greet them daily, say whats up and continue on your business. I joined clubs, it helped to network and let others know I was serious about getting involved and just being a good student/future pharmacist. I don't think they mean sh1t on a resume ultimately though. Work ethic and personality/eagerness to learn will always be more important than things like being in APhA during school.

I'm 27 and a P4, but I always enjoyed speaking with the older classmates, the people who are more mature (generally) and more wise. Good luck OP.

I doubt that'll be an issue for this person since they mentioned that they have a partner. ;)

As for the frat scene, it varies a lot from school to school and chapter to chapter. Mine had two frats: Frat A was known for community service and good friendships and Frat B was known for alcohol and very little else. I joined Frat A, and it had a huge positive impact on my pharmacy school experience. Most of the people I knew in Frat B didn't even stay in after their first year.

The frats have been fairly sanitized from their historical roots as being exclusive (in both senses of the word) societies, which is a good thing. There's still a strong anti-PDX prejudice at the upper echelons in civil service still due to PDX's historical affiliation with Antisemitism and anti-Catholicism even though PDX is now co-ed, open to all religious affiliations and races, and has really made it a point to get rid of those roots. Kappa Psi had a fairly well-known misogynist reputation even outside the profession until they went co-ed as well.

Geez, what is it with the software engineering posts on this board lately?? Kind of a different field from pharmacy but anyway...I think everyone starting pharmacy school will find at least a couple of people they can be friends with. It's only mid-September, you have to give yourself time to get to know people. I went to school in my thirties, I guess I was lucky in that my class was fairly diverse as far as age range went. I did end up being friends with people who were at least a little bit older than your "average" pharmacy student. As far as clubs and things like that go, do whatever you enjoy.

The frats have been fairly sanitized from their historical roots as being exclusive (in both senses of the word) societies, which is a good thing. There's still a strong anti-PDX prejudice at the upper echelons in civil service still due to PDX's historical affiliation with Antisemitism and anti-Catholicism even though PDX is now co-ed, open to all religious affiliations and races, and has really made it a point to get rid of those roots. Kappa Psi had a fairly well-known misogynist reputation even outside the profession until they went co-ed as well.

Good info. However, I must point out that there are other pharmacy frats besides KY and PDX. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Good info. However, I must point out that there are other pharmacy frats besides KY and PDX. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Not at my school. Just the two. Sad to hear about the PDX thing, that kind of history can be hard to shake. That's who I am considering because they are the group with the "scholarly" reputation on my campus.

Last edited:
Geez, what is it with the software engineering posts on this board lately?? Kind of a different field from pharmacy but anyway...I think everyone starting pharmacy school will find at least a couple of people they can be friends with. It's only mid-September, you have to give yourself time to get to know people. I went to school in my thirties, I guess I was lucky in that my class was fairly diverse as far as age range went. I did end up being friends with people who were at least a little bit older than your "average" pharmacy student. As far as clubs and things like that go, do whatever you enjoy.

Plus, software engineering has it's own set of problems with sending jobs offshore or bending over backwards to hire H1B people. It's not necessarily a golden ticket either. A lot of engineers I know are grumpy and miserable.

Thanks for the advice, BTW. It is appreciated. Previous classes at my school were more diverse, but I didn't get very lucky and was feeling really out of my element. I think that's why I started freaking out a little bit and posted to SDN.

Last edited:
I want to send out a general thank you to everyone who posted with advice specific to what I was asking about. I will stop letting the situation freak me out, be methodical about what I get involved in, and try to take things in stride. Really... thank you, internet strangers. It was very helpful reading all of this!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the advice, BTW. It is appreciated. Previous classes at my school were more diverse, but I didn't get very lucky and was feeling really out of my element. I think that's why I started freaking out a little bit and posted to SDN.

You shouldn't feel out of your element or out of the loop in pharmacy school. Your class is a lot smaller and all of you are in the same classes together. It's more intimate. My professors would also encourage group discussions and team exercises to help us bond as well. You will make friendships that will last beyond pharmacy school.

Interesting, I had never heard that about PDX or KY. I thought I was old, but I guess they were more sanitized by the time I went to school (or my schools chapters were different.)

It's only mid-September, you have to give yourself time to get to know people.

Most of the friends I made first year, I was no longer hanging out with by 2nd year, and I added in new friends 2nd and 3rd year. Everyone wants to party first year, but people will either flunk out or have to buckle down and study. A good way to make friends is to find a study group before a big exam. Just ask around if anyone would be interested in studying with you....you'll get some people interested, and some might invite you to be a part of their study clique.

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-14_3-48-44.png
    upload_2016-9-14_3-48-44.png
    127.7 KB · Views: 60
Interesting, I had never heard that about PDX or KY. I thought I was old, but I guess they were more sanitized by the time I went to school (or my schools chapters were different.)

Most of the friends I made first year, I was no longer hanging out with by 2nd year, and I added in new friends 2nd and 3rd year. Everyone wants to party first year, but people will either flunk out or have to buckle down and study. A good way to make friends is to find a study group before a big exam. Just ask around if anyone would be interested in studying with you....you'll get some people interested, and some might invite you to be a part of their study clique.

Why'd you attach your FICO? Is that required to get into the best study group? haha

Why'd you attach your FICO? Is that required to get into the best study group? haha

Maybe. It's crazy who wants to do credit checks on you these days. :laugh: Nice score, though.

You shouldn't feel out of your element or out of the loop in pharmacy school. Your class is a lot smaller and all of you are in the same classes together. It's more intimate. My professors would also encourage group discussions and team exercises to help us bond as well. You will make friendships that will last beyond pharmacy school.

That's true, generally speaking, but I did all of my undergrad at a VERY small school. My O-chem class had 12 people in it (we were lucky it was even offered at that point). This is actually the biggest class I've ever been in! In the first few weeks everyone aggregated into cliques so quickly it made my head spin. I'm just going to have to keep putting myself out there. Since I posted this thread I did find a club that I think will work well for me (ACCP) and have signed up for some volunteer opportunities.

Probably a dead thread, but I thought I would throw out my 2 cents.
I am a new grad, and I am MUCH older than you. I wasn't even the oldest in my class. But, the majority of my classmates were my kids age, which was a little weird at times.
I did not join any clubs, although I had a lot of friends in PDX, so I got dragged to a lot of their stuff that wasn't exclusive.
I will say: find your tribe. They are there. You may not recognize them yet, but be open to other students. The previous poster who mentioned the need to share notes etc is right. You need to at least get contact info/facebook friends with other students. Being able to talk to someone else who is studying in the middle of the night is priceless.
It took almost a year to find the folks that helped me most. Keep open to study sessions and working with others. You may find other study modalities which will work well for you.
The networking piece cuts both ways, so do make those connections in school. You will have an advantage later on, when you are licensed, people will just assume you are experienced, lol.
It can be very isolating. I tried to keep to myself for a while because I felt so weird socializing with people my kids age. But I have made some really good friends and we have helped each other on these journeys.
And amazingly enough, it is over.

Congratulations!!

I remember this gentleman who entered pharmacy school around your age. He joined student council, was an overall friendly and enthusiastic guy (couldn't be nicer), and he definitely found a group of close friends with which to study, socialize, etc. I think the age thing was a surprise to people at first, but no one cared after they got to know him.

You'll find close friends. People may be surprised at first by your age, but once they see that you're really there to work hard and learn like everyone else, I think the age thing will disappear as an "issue." You never know, it may be the people you sit next to in class, or maybe you'll find a study group, etc. I think maturity will be an advantage as well.

Good luck!