Any OT students attending University of South Alabama?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babygirl476

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm planning to apply for the OT Master's program at the University of South Alabama this fall to attend for Fall 2010. I wanted to know if anyone is currently in the program or planning to attend the program to find out more information about it. How was the interview? What kind of questions were asked? How is the program? What was your GPA and GRE score? Any info would be great :)

Members don't see this ad.

I just got accepted into the OT program at South for fall 2009.

My GRE was 940 (they ask for only 800) and I had A's in almost all my prerequisite courses with the exception of math (C) and stats (B). I also did 25 observation hours and they asked me to talk about my OT observation in the interview.

Also, you might want to know that the fieldwork at the end of the program is not in Mobile. You have to pay for your own expenses to relocate to wherever they decide to send you. I asked the interviewer, nd she said they have sites all over the country, so be prepared for some major out of pocket expenses (which I'm sure will be worthwhile as soon as you get that degree).

THe interview was overall really easy. It was much more relaxed than expected and was at least 30 minutes long. After the interview, you got to meet with some of the students currently in the program and they seemed to like it, but did admit that the program is stressful. Most of the questions were about ethics. Here are some others I can remember:

How do you define OT?

What do you consider to be "occupations" in your daily life?

If you were planning a cooking activity for an ethnic person, how would you modify this activity?

If you were working with a patient and they had a bowel movement, how wou,d you handle this?

If you overheard a coworker talking about a patient, how would you handle the situation?

If you knew another student stole a paper and turned it in as their own, what would you do?

If you were in a group project and one person didn't pull their load, what would you do?

What are your hobbies/interests besides academic pursuits?

How do you think grad school will differ from undergrad?

Tell us about volunteer experience in OT.

Also wanted to tell you that when I got the acceptance packet, I had to sign a form saying that I agree to be in class 5 days a week from 8-5. You also have to pay for your own background and drug test, show proof of insurance and get a bunch of immunizations. Also found out there is a new building on the main campus for OT. Should be opening this fall and it sounds really nice.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hey Lexi thank you so much for responding because I am stressing myself out. . 8-5, I took a peek at the courses that they have scheduled for the fall and saw that if I wanted to continue working while in the program it would have to be night shift. The information you provided was of great help. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know, it is easier said than done to try not to stress. I stressed for about 14 months about anything and everything from my prerequisites, to the app, to the GRE (took it twice), to the interview! The process SUCKS and there really isn't much you can do, but when you get that acceptance letter, it will all be worth it!

As for working, I don't think you will have time to even work a night shift due to all the work involved in this program. I am saving money now and planning on massive student loans for the rest.....whatever it takes to become an OT!

lexi is WRONG- you pretty much choose where you wanna go for fieldwork... you give them options and they place you as close to those places as they can.. and it is possible to work while you are in school

Hey! I recently applied and got accepted to the OT program at USA for Fall 2010! are you still going to attend??:)

I have an interview at university of south alabama?
Can anyone help me what to prepare who recently got accepted?