Any other accepted students experiencing regret about being accepted/going? Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reading this thread I'm glad that all the MDs I know love there job and have a positive outlook on the future (well except for one)...you have to pursue what you love.

Its prob normal to have this feeling after an acceptance but if you can't see yourself doing anything else but this then go to med school.

If you see yourself being happier going going down road #2 then weigh the pros and cons carefully.

Members don't see this ad.

Long story, but 2 application cycles, kind of overqualified and underqualified (either interviewed at the very top tier or very low tier), got accepted in the 2nd cycle at a top school for one acceptance after a bazillion interviews. Traveled all over the country, dealt with a lot of nonsense from interviewers and adcoms. I have two doctors in my whole family who are miserable at their jobs. Had plenty of time to think to myself. I will only go if offered significant money for a scholarship.
I am genuinely curious about two things:
1.) What makes you think you interview well?
2.) Why would you commit yourself to medicine only if you were offered a scholarship? While you're clearly bright and have plenty to offer, medicine seems like the exact opposite of the right career for you, judging solely by your recent posts here.

Pre-meds saying cute pre-med things... I love medicine, but I ask myself "why did I do this to myself?" at least twice a week. Medicine can be both wonderful and sucky at the same time. You'll all see. The romanticism fades quickly.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am genuinely curious about two things:
1.) What makes you think you interview well?
2.) Why would you commit yourself to medicine only if you were offered a scholarship? While you're clearly bright and have plenty to offer, medicine seems like the exact opposite of the right career for you, judging solely by your recent posts here.

I had no problem interviewing for jobs and internships in the past, interviewing is not particle physics. In fact, as the high school jock/college frat boy type of guy, I am not shy and am pretty social. I could not imagine myself messing up anything in the interview because I know how to coach myself. Money also helps with most decisions in life.

Why would scholarship $ impact such a life-determining decision?
tumblr_static_tumblr_static_cjoom5hmy6o80w0wo8oggckc0_640.gif

You either want to be a doctor, or not...
Because I have some debt but not too much debt now. I kind of want to live my life as free of financial burden as possible. This is just another job for me.

I had no problem interviewing for jobs and internships in the past, interviewing is not particle physics. In fact, as the high school jock/college frat boy type of guy, I am not shy and am pretty social. I could not imagine myself messing up anything in the interview because I know how to coach myself. Money also helps with most decisions in life.
Interviewing is not particle physics, but it is nuanced. Having interviewed candidates for jobs, I was looking for something different from what I think med schools would. For one thing, until you are interviewing for upper management and high-powered careers, most hiring managers just want someone who demonstrates confidence that they can do the job, professionalism, and seems likeable enough that they'll fit in with the staff. I would think interviewing med school candidates is much more challenging, because you're looking for candidates with all the aforementioned qualities, but also a deep passion for medicine that will carry them through some extremely difficult times during a decade of education and training, and beyond into their careers as attending physicians. That's a huge responsibility, and I think experienced interviewers are probably pretty astute about discerning who would be great at medical school but likely jump ship and do something else, or end up a mediocre physicians because their heart really isn't in it.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewing is not particle physics, but it is nuanced. Having interviewed candidates for jobs, I was looking for something different from what I think med schools would. For one thing, until you are interviewing for upper management and high-powered careers, most hiring managers just want someone who demonstrates confidence that they can do the job, professionalism, and seems likeable enough that they'll fit in with the staff. I would think interviewing med school candidates is much more challenging, because you're looking for candidates with all the aforementioned qualities, but also a deep passion for medicine that will carry them through some extremely difficult times during a decade of education and training, and beyond into their careers as attending physicians. That's a huge responsibility, and I think experienced interviewers are probably pretty astute about discerning who would be great at medical school but likely jump ship and do something else, or end up a mediocre physicians because their heart really isn't in it.

I think we give interviewers too much credit for evaluating what is going on in the head of the interviewee. Looking for passion for medicine is so subjective. In the end, this passion they are evaluating is based on how much the interviewer likes you. Unless you blatantly say something crazy, it is pretty hard to have a bad interview. The trick is getting your interviewer to like you, otherwise I don't see how they measure passion?

I think we give interviewers too much credit for evaluating what is going on in the head of the interviewee. Looking for passion for medicine is so subjective. In the end, this passion they are evaluating is based on how much the interviewer likes you. Unless you blatantly say something crazy, it is pretty hard to have a bad interview. The trick is getting your interviewer to like you, otherwise I don't see how they measure passion?
I suppose I just think you don't give them enough credit. I've only been through one cycle, but I've also worked with a lot of physicians in an academic setting, and I think that those who have spent decades working with medical schools and residents can pick up on signals that the average person cannot.

I suppose I just think you don't give them enough credit. I've only been through one cycle, but I've also worked with a lot of physicians in an academic setting, and I think that those who have spent decades working with medical schools and residents can pick up on signals that the average person cannot.

You make them sound like they are all part of the X-men. Special power, reading medical school interviewees minds.

Read your posts and then read someone like Neusu or Mimelim's posts and I think the difference in measuring passion is pretty obvious. Really, like I said in another thread, you probably shouldn't go to medical school no matter how much they offer you. It's not worth for *maybe* being satisfied with the job or lifestyle 10 years down the road after slogging for 4 years to land the cushiest, most lucrative specialty you could. It just isn't worth it. Take the software engineering job. Do that. Don't be another miserable trainee praying to get through the pipeline alive and sane.

Reactions: 4 users
Read your posts and then read someone like Neusu or Mimelim's posts and I think the difference in measuring passion is pretty obvious. Really, like I said in another thread, you probably shouldn't go to medical school no matter how much they offer you. It's not worth for *maybe* being satisfied with the job or lifestyle 10 years down the road after slogging for 4 years to land the cushiest, most lucrative specialty you could. It just isn't worth it. Take the software engineering job. Do that. Don't be another miserable trainee praying to get through the pipeline alive and sane.

You are right, My thoughts were I might as well try to get my money's worth from the school I am accepted to make up for the trouble of interviewing and applying. I feel like I broke the record for most II's attended over one cycle for one acceptance over two cycles.

After all, software engineering or medicine is just a job for me. I just want to let fate decide.

You are right, My thoughts were I might as well try to get my money's worth from the school I am accepted to make up for the trouble of interviewing and applying. I feel like I broke the record for most II's attended over one cycle for one acceptance over two cycles.

After all, software engineering or medicine is just a job for me. I just want to let fate decide.

Don't let something that doesn't exist decide lol. You are very lucky in that you have the skills and credentials to have other opportunities outside of medicine. I feel that most people in your position don't have a way out and either go into medicine anyway or face a lot of professional uncertainty. Fate may be absent but you already decided.

Pre-meds saying cute pre-med things... I love medicine, but I ask myself "why did I do this to myself?" at least twice a week. Medicine can be both wonderful and sucky at the same time. You'll all see. The romanticism fades quickly.

Agree. I love medicine. I worked around physicians for several years. I loved it.

Medical school is not medicine.

No matter what you do, nothing will prepare you for how crappy medical school is. Especially the more social you were in undergrad. Everyone you know will be getting decent-to-great jobs, married, kids, parties/gatherings, going out on the weekends, seeing movies, whatever etc. The very few students on here that say medical school is amazing are just full of it or are trying to lie themselves to sleep. The worst are the attendings who are looking through rose-tinted glasses and can only remember the few good things. Or they're long enough out that crushing the boards was never a priority. The only thing you have to look forward to in medical school is the short evening following an exam. Then the next day, you have another 4+ lectures and the cycle begins again.

You have to be able to handle extreme delayed gratification. Hope you're in the 1/3 that has medical school paid for, or you can add the stress of crushing debt if you fail out.

Good luck.

If you're not passionate about medicine but also aren't passionate about anything else, have you considered finance? I know quite a few people who wanted to go into academia but gave up after several post-docs and went to work for big financial companies using their highly developed skills in engineering/mathematical analysis/programming and they're making a fortune. You'll forget about the money you invested in two application cycles after your first few paychecks...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not passionate about medicine but also aren't passionate about anything else, have you considered finance? I know quite a few people who wanted to go into academia but gave up after several post-docs and went to work for big financial companies using their highly developed skills in engineering/mathematical analysis/programming and they're making a fortune. You'll forget about the money you invested in two application cycles after your first few paychecks...

Don't let something that doesn't exist decide lol. You are very lucky in that you have the skills and credentials to have other opportunities outside of medicine. I feel that most people in your position don't have a way out and either go into medicine anyway or face a lot of professional uncertainty. Fate may be absent but you already decided.

Regarding professional uncertainty for other people, in all my CS classes we sometimes had a few non-degree students (aka postbacs) who were there as career switchers. I feel like if premeds find after graduation they dont like medicine or just cant get in, they certainly always have that option and are not stuck! I mean, the premed postbacs are doing postbacs for a reason to, they want to do something they like! And believe it or not, a lot of non-CS/non-quant majors have had history of entering top programs after taking some non-degree courses to learn and show interest. They are valued like medical schools value postbacs, for adding a new perspective to the class. Compared to a 2-2.5 year premed postbac, these postbacs are for a year or less depending on the person's educational background. I highly recommend premeds check this out as a career path if confused and keep an open mind.

I also considered finance, great field, I will probably need to go back for an MS/PhD degree later if I want to pursue that route since it is super-competitive. However, I want to spend my early 20s working before going back to school if I do not do the medical route. The advantage of having a computational/quant background is that you can be hired across different fields, from Wall Street to major corporations to the technology sector!

Everything will be sorted out if I can get money for medical school, but it is crazy to say, let fate decide!

Last edited:
Hell no, I have no regrets. I am currently working two dead end jobs to make ends meet, and that's with a degree. I can't wait to start med school because it is my way to a better career and life.

I think it is perspective, really. If you want to light a fire under your hide, go get a crap job where you get paid a pittance and have no real contribution to society. It will make you appreciate the seat at the table that you have been given.

Reactions: 5 users
@Officer Farva
Goes through two cycles
gets one acceptance
spends his time spamming a pre-med forum mostly posting about not wanting to be a doctor

If you actually don't have a halfway sincere answer to the question "why medicine" don't be a doctor. I would like to think that even the most jaded doctors started out with a little passion and a general desire "to help people"

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
@Officer Farva
Goes through two cycles
gets one acceptance
spends his time spamming a pre-med forum mostly posting about not wanting to be a doctor

If you actually don't have a halfway sincere answers to the question "why medicine" don't be a doctor. I would like to think that even the most jaded doctors started out with a little passion and a general desire "to help people"
may I add to you tina fey gif?: Goes through spamming premed thread about not wanting to be a doctor but ends up rejecting job offers and interviews so that he can attend medical school. Then spams the medical school forum. :p

Reactions: 1 users
The bolded is what puzzles me the most.
Makes perfect sense, had plenty of time to think.
@Officer Farva
Goes through two cycles
gets one acceptance

If you actually don't have a halfway sincere answer to the question "why medicine" don't be a doctor. I would like to think that even the most jaded doctors started out with a little passion and a general desire "to help people"

Not going to lie, just wasting time since I took my two weeks notice a few weeks ago and killing time until my new job starts in a few weeks or gets a scholarhsip.

Makes perfect sense, had plenty of time to think.

Not going to lie, just wasting time since I took my two weeks notice a few weeks ago and killing time until my new job starts in a few weeks or gets a scholarhsip.
Not exactly my main point but whatevs. Do what you want. It's a free country.
image.gif

The American system has nobel prize winning research, we spend the most on research out of all countries in the world. We need to compete with Europe better!

The problem is how bloated our universities are, which is why we spend the most money. We have all these various deans, vice deans, associate deans, assistant deans, and the countless administrative staff that supports each person. I think patient simulators are humongous wastes of money.

The large amount of admins I believe kind of ruined the system by overcomplicating admissions and other processes that are done by universities.
It's the American way to have over complicated systems like that. How else will they keep the little people down

I am also worried of developments in medicine, such as all the administrative nonsense and changes in healthcare policy. Not to mention, I wanted to enter medicine as a researcher. However, the funding environment is pretty rough and I felt nothing but resistance from my interviewers in discussing a research career with medicine. I am uncertain if the future of medicine will be open to researchers considering how antagonistic of that idea my interviewers have been. I do not want to be your average general IM doctor, that is my worst nightmare.

This was not my experience. I was accepted at a school which is known for its emphasis on primary care; however, in my personal statement and during my interviews, I talked about my passion for research and directly stated that research is one of my primary reasons for wanting to become a physician (indeed, 4/5 of my recommendation letters were from professors whom I had a connection with through research). My opinion is that adcoms are looking for a cohesive, consistent story, and mine happened to center around research, which was A-okay with them. (N=1).

Reactions: 1 users
If i had a choice between a career in software development vs medicine.... i would go with the CS route. Dont go to med school man just make bank now working in CS. You're gonna be struggling in med school/residency and always think wow my life could be so easy right now if i went with that SD offer lol.

You're very cocky. That might have played a role in your less than satisfactory interview to acceptance ratio.

I'm sure if you feel that most of your interviewers weren't very warm with you, that could very well be a reflection of how (not so) warm of a person they correctly perceived you to be.

You're very cocky. That might have played a role in your less than satisfactory interview to acceptance ratio.

I'm sure if you feel that most of your interviewers weren't very warm with you, that could very well be a reflection of how (not so) warm of a person they correctly perceived you to be.

I promise I am not cocky in real life, I am just not afraid of looking like a complete idiot online!

It's the American way to have over complicated systems like that. How else will they keep the little people down

When most of the staff at your university are not professors but random admins and deans, you are going to have a problem!

If i had a choice between a career in software development vs medicine.... i would go with the CS route. Dont go to med school man just make bank now working in CS. You're gonna be struggling in med school/residency and always think wow my life could be so easy right now if i went with that SD offer lol.
Both are great. Would it be smart to leverage my school into saying I got a decent job offer that is not some premed gap year job, money please?

This was not my experience. I was accepted at a school which is known for its emphasis on primary care; however, in my personal statement and during my interviews, I talked about my passion for research and directly stated that research is one of my primary reasons for wanting to become a physician (indeed, 4/5 of my recommendation letters were from professors whom I had a connection with through research). My opinion is that adcoms are looking for a cohesive, consistent story, and mine happened to center around research, which was A-okay with them. (N=1).
I interviewed either at research oriented schools or primary care oriented schools. By luck of the draw, all my interviewers were general internists, EM, OBGYN, and psych. The one place that accepted me I was interviewed by a research-oriented cardiologist. All the EM and general internists guys could not care less about what is going on in the lab or the difference between T and B cells. They wanted to know why I didnt have 10,000 hours of volunteering. Very turned off by a lot of doctors and schools since they embrace a medieval view of science, they honestly should time travel to the middle ages.

Both are great. Would it be smart to leverage my school into saying I got a decent job offer that is not some premed gap year job, money please?.

I really doubt a school will care. They probably have hundreds of applicants who are more than happy to take your spot without additional accommodations. You can try, I just don't think it'll make a difference. Dude just take the CS job. I doubt you'll be making bank in CS and think "wow I kinda wish I was struggling in med school with a sinkhole of debt to pay off in".