Any pharmacists here drive nice cars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But anyway, after I became a pharmacist, I also felt the urge to get a luxury sports sedan, and I bought a Lexus IS 250. It was nice to zip around in because of the RWD and weight balance. But when you're just commuting, the sporty suspension and chassis makes you feel all the bumps and potholes. I also started to get irritated by the road noise coming from the sporty tires and the front ones wore out after 20k mi. Plus it's quite a small car and the back seat is very cramped. I think the BMW 3 series is similar, but I have only test driven them, and have never owned one.

You left out Audi in your list, but that's what I have now (A6), and I'm very happy with it. Big and roomy, feels solid, smooth and quiet. Exterior design is conservative, interior design is modern and cohesive. Also, with similar options levels, Audis come out a few thousand dollars cheaper than BMWs and Benzes.

If you would have just listed to me...but noooooo...nobody ever listens to me.

If I had, like gun to my head had, to get a $40k-ish Euro car, Volvo S80.

Members don't see this ad.

Go Pontiac! I was sad to see them shut down. The G6 is a really nice car. Is yours one of the hardtop convertibles? I've wanted to get one of those.

Just the regular 4 door sedan with V6. I liked the next version the G8, but like you sad to see it go.

Last edited:
I was all thinking about buying nice cars when I was in school... Then after I graduated and saw my techs and other people that are just barely getting by buying BMWs and Mercedes... I just felt it's not even worth it anymore. I'll just keep driving my 2006 Camry.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have two cars - a luxury car that I drive on the weekend and an old car that I drive to work. Of course it saves money driving my old car to work but I also don't want my coworkers to know I am a billionaire investor on the side.

Think about the maintenance cost if you are going to get a luxury car. It really adds up and after a few years, it doesn't have the same feel to it anymore. It is like dating a hot girl. Give her a few years and you won't be taking her out for a ride as often.

Go Pontiac! I was sad to see them shut down.
Me too...but when they started sharing chassis and bodywork with other GM products (namely Chevrolet and Saturn), there was no reason for anyone to buy a Pontiac (outside of brand loyalty) when you could buy essentially the same car as a Chevrolet. I can only think of two unique Pontiac products over the last 15 years: the Aztek and the G8 (the Vibe shared a platform with the Toyota Matrix; the Solstice and the Saturn Sky were nearly identical). The Aztek was a hideous disaster; the G8 was impressive but simply didn't sell.

It is the same thing that did in the Oldsmobile line (prior to GM's bankruptcy), Ford's Mercury line and Chrysler's Plymouth line. There is no place for mid-level luxury in America anymore- there is no middle step between a Ford and a Lincoln.

Me too...but when they started sharing chassis and bodywork with other GM products (namely Chevrolet and Saturn), there was no reason for anyone to buy a Pontiac (outside of brand loyalty) when you could buy essentially the same car as a Chevrolet. I can only think of two unique Pontiac products over the last 15 years: the Aztek and the G8 (the Vibe shared a platform with the Toyota Matrix; the Solstice and the Saturn Sky were nearly identical). The Aztek was a hideous disaster; the G8 was impressive but simply didn't sell.

It is the same thing that did in the Oldsmobile line (prior to GM's bankruptcy), Ford's Mercury line and Chrysler's Plymouth line. There is no place for mid-level luxury in America anymore- there is no middle step between a Ford and a Lincoln.

Well, I'd have to agree with you. It was nice though, when the parts were easily interchangeable and therefore dead cheap.

I borrowed a line from gold digger
-won the superbowl drove off in a Hyundai.
a hyundai with the trunk smashed in because of a hit and run - worth maybe 4k total, but it gets me from point A to B - when I am traveling in a foreign country 4-5 times a year - they don't ask if I own a 60k car or a 2k beater. I would save my money and not dump it into a fancy car.

Members don't see this ad :)
I borrowed a line from gold digger
-won the superbowl drove off in a Hyundai.
a hyundai with the trunk smashed in because of a hit and run - worth maybe 4k total, but it gets me from point A to B - when I am traveling in a foreign country 4-5 times a year - they don't ask if I own a 60k car or a 2k beater. I would save my money and not dump it into a fancy car.

If everyone did I, I would be totally happy driving a Hyundai. Cars are depreciating asset, heck i knew that when i was in high school. Unfortunately, there are certain social expectations and cost to not meeting them. Just like parking a mobilehome in an upscale neighborhood. Pick and choose your fight, don't fight something you can't win.

I can only think of two unique Pontiac products over the last 15 years: the Aztek and the G8 (the Vibe shared a platform with the Toyota Matrix; the Solstice and the Saturn Sky were nearly identical).

There was also the '04-06 GTO. Nit picky I know, given that the G8 was just the next iteration of the same car, but...

And Buick got a copy of the Aztek, as the Rendezvous.

And Buick got a copy of the Aztek, as the Rendezvous.

Well, you learn something new everyday.
The Aztek has a two year head start before the Rendezvous showed up, but you are correct.

However, the G8 was a re-badged Holden Commodore (GM's Australian division), not a GTO (which was a Holden Monaro).

Reactions: 1 user
Well, you learn something new everyday.
The Aztek has a two year head start before the Rendezvous showed up, but you are correct.

However, the G8 was a re-badged Holden Commodore (GM's Australian division), not a GTO (which was a Holden Monaro).

Yup, I just meant that the gto was based on the monaro, being a derivative of the previous commodore platform (and an awesome car for the money - one of the best used performance deals out there, to my mind.)

If everyone did I, I would be totally happy driving a Hyundai. Cars are depreciating asset, heck i knew that when i was in high school. Unfortunately, there are certain social expectations and cost to not meeting them. Just like parking a mobilehome in an upscale neighborhood. Pick and choose your fight, don't fight something you can't win.
this is the single most absurb thing I have heard all day - and this attitude is one of the reasons our economy tanked a few years back. I used to live in a VERY upscale neighborhood - I lived in a 3100 sq foot mcmansion on one acre, and I was on of the smallest homes there. Many were 5000sq ft on 6-8 acres (all built after 2005. Out of the 20 or so neighbors I knew- how many drove luxury cars? 2 - one Mercedes and one lexus. Who gives a rats ass what you drive? I don't and neither do most of your neighbors. To use a car as a social expectation is 100% idiotic. Read the book "Millionaire next door". I will give you one guess on what the most commonly driven car by millionaires in the US is.

this is the single most absurb thing I have heard all day - and this attitude is one of the reasons our economy tanked a few years back. I used to live in a VERY upscale neighborhood - I lived in a 3100 sq foot mcmansion on one acre, and I was on of the smallest homes there. Many were 5000sq ft on 6-8 acres (all built after 2005. Out of the 20 or so neighbors I knew- how many drove luxury cars? 2 - one Mercedes and one lexus. Who gives a rats ass what you drive? I don't and neither do most of your neighbors. To use a car as a social expectation is 100% idiotic. Read the book "Millionaire next door". I will give you one guess on what the most commonly driven car by millionaires in the US is.

I read that book and then some. People on SDN long enough knows i have an examplary record of frugality. Maxing out 401k and Roth IRA, bought a house with $20% down, had 2 babies, bough 3 yr old minivan cash, and still pad off my student loans in under 3 years. You are barking up the wrong tree dude.

However social expectations are real, and there is a real cost to not meeting them. For example, we live in an upper middle class neighborhood. Why not be frugal and live in the poor side of town? Because there is a cost to bad school districts and unsafe neighborhoods. Why does my neighborhood have buttload of rules on how every household must look? There is a cost to neighborhood (and your own) property values when someone goes ghetto style where 1/2 of the cars are luxury ones. Is there a business opportunity cost when my car sticks out in a bad way in the reserved lot or when meeting business partners? Just because we all read a book and agree with the core message doesn't mean you toss real world considerations all out of the window. The old saying, when in Rome...is not 100% correct but certainly isn't 100% idiotic.

Hence I'm looking at 3 yr old luxury cars and Prius, things that can allow me to be frugal without the social cost. Would replacing my beater accord with a new accord be frugal enough? Well, a 3 yr old certified BMW 3 in mint condition cost the same.

I read that book and then some. People on SDN long enough knows i have an examplary record of frugality. Maxing out 401k and Roth IRA, bought a house with $20% down, had 2 babies, bough 3 yr old minivan cash, and still pad off my student loans in under 3 years. You are barking up the wrong tree dude.

However social expectations are real, and there is a real cost to not meeting them. For example, we live in an upper middle class neighborhood. Why not be frugal and live in the poor side of town? Because there is a cost to bad school districts and unsafe neighborhoods. Why does my neighborhood have buttload of rules on how every household must look? There is a cost to neighborhood (and your own) property values when someone goes ghetto style where 1/2 of the cars are luxury ones. Is there a business opportunity cost when my car sticks out in a bad way in the reserved lot or when meeting business partners? Just because we all read a book and agree with the core message doesn't mean you toss real world considerations all out of the window. The old saying, when in Rome...is not 100% correct but certainly isn't 100% idiotic.

Hence I'm looking at 3 yr old luxury cars and Prius, things that can allow me to be frugal without the social cost. Would replacing my beater accord with a new accord be frugal enough? Well, a 3 yr old certified BMW 3 in mint condition cost the same.
still not gonna convince me - comparing owning a house in a nice part of town so your children go to a good school is COMPLETELY different than saying you have to own a BMW/LEXUS/ASTON MARTIN vs a Camry, Sonata, F-150, etc

First - beater cars don't bring down the value of a neighborhood - you ever heard of a frickin garage? I proudly drive my beater, I had a corrolla with 180k miles on it until 3 years ago - and my neighbor envied me because his stuck up wife followed your attitude and insisted on buying the lexus I mentioned. I paid for 2 international vacations for two with the money I saved.

Walk through your physicians lot at a hospital - there are a lot of nice cars, don't get me wrong, I LOVE nice cars but there are also beaters. Do you think they are any less of a physician?

More proof that having children can have ridiculous hidden costs. Apparently things like BMW ownership. Any time I see some idiot in a Euro luxury sedan, my first though is always "there's another sucker."

More proof that having children can have ridiculous hidden costs. Apparently things like BMW ownership. Any time I see some idiot in a Euro luxury sedan, my first though is always "there's another sucker."
yup - funny thing - when my sonata was new - I was parked next to a lexus of same color and was walking to my car and was fiddling with my phone and tried to open the door to the lexus - I stepped back, and laughed at how similar they looked for a less than half the price.

Last edited:
Walk through your physicians lot at a hospital - there are a lot of nice cars, don't get me wrong, I LOVE nice cars but there are also beaters. Do you think they are any less of a physician?

Warren Buffett used to drive a 2001 Lincoln Town Car for the longest time. He sold it on eBay for like $70,000 a few years ago. Then he bough a 2006 Cadillac DTS and still drives it today.

Richest dude in the world.

Kind of funny how that works. If you have all the wealth in the world, its as if you don't need to go around proving it through trinkets. Kind of how I see it. Yeah, show me how rich you are. I don't give a ****. I'm doing just fine in my 2009 Mercury Sable I got for 40% of original MSRP in 2011. I make six figs and so doesn't my wife. I don't need to look like I'm well off. I already am. Why waste money trying to look like something I already am?

My car is a 10-year old, 100,000 mile Nissan, which I bought brand new back in 2004, and I am going to trade in this year just because it's starting to require more work. It was a great value over the years, though, never requiring repairs until last year. And since my back is now 10 years older too, my way of choosing a car was going to the New York Auto Show in April and testing all the cars for the most comfortable seat. The winners were a $200K Maserati and a $30K Nissan. Guess which option I am going to go with? :naughty:

still not gonna convince me - comparing owning a house in a nice part of town so your children go to a good school is COMPLETELY different than saying you have to own a BMW/LEXUS/ASTON MARTIN vs a Camry, Sonata, F-150, etc

First - beater cars don't bring down the value of a neighborhood - you ever heard of a frickin garage? I proudly drive my beater, I had a corrolla with 180k miles on it until 3 years ago - and my neighbor envied me because his stuck up wife followed your attitude and insisted on buying the lexus I mentioned. I paid for 2 international vacations for two with the money I saved.

Nobody is trying to convince you. I don't go for emotional appeals. I'm still driving a car with 4 warning lights on and 150K miles for a reason.

But the math works out: buying a 3 year used BMW 3 vs new Honda accord/Toyota Camry vs Prius ~ the same $. You can go option 2, I can go option 1, 6 vs half a dozen financially. Doing some research might surprise you what some simplified book didn't include. Don't just read one book and think it's the grand unified theory of universe.

New 2014 Toyota Camry SE V6 = $30K.

Certified Preowned 2011 BWM 328i with navigation etc = $28K.

Certified preowned 2011 Lexus IS250 with navigation etc = $30K, probably the most reliable make on the planet.

Luxury cars are expensive when new, but they also depreciate faster initially. Honda and Toyotas are cheaper when new, but slower depreciation makes buying used less of a bargain. You can use that difference to your benefit, and have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:
You can buy a very nicely restored muscle car for around 10-15k; often times with a new or fully built and trimmed engine/trans. If the interior is cloth you have it completely reupholstered in leather for 1k if it's not already.

Restored classics only gain value.

I think anyone that pays 20k+ for a car that's going to depreciate from day one is making... questionable decisions. Just my 2 cents.

I think anyone that pays 20k+ for a car that's going to depreciate from day one is making... questionable decisions. Just my 2 cents.

my best purchase ever was a 93 cavalier (bought in 1999) with 80k miles on it for $3200. Totaled by a hail storm in 2001- got $1500 from the insurance company. Drove it until 2005 - ended up with 160K miles on it - got $50 bucks for trade in. Spent a total of $250 on repairs other than routine maintenance on it. So - drove it for 6 years, total cost of ownership (other than gas, ins, etc that I would have spend on any other car) was $1750 = $24 bucks a month or 2 cents per mile. Hard to beat that

Nobody is trying to convince you. I don't go for emotional appeals. I'm still driving a car with 4 warning lights on and 150K miles for a reason.

But the math works out: buying a 3 year used BMW 3 vs new Honda accord/Toyota Camry vs Prius ~ the same $. You can go option 2, I can go option 1, 6 vs half a dozen financially. Doing some research might surprise you what some simplified book didn't include. Don't just read one book and think it's the grand unified theory of universe.

New 2014 Toyota Camry SE V6 = $30K.

Certified Preowned 2011 BWM 328i with navigation etc = $28K.

Certified preowned 2011 Lexus IS250 with navigation etc = $30K, probably the most reliable make on the planet.

Luxury cars are expensive when new, but they also depreciate faster initially. Honda and Toyotas are cheaper when new, but slower depreciation makes buying used less of a bargain. You can use that difference to your benefit, and have your cake and eat it too.

wasn't basing my comments on one book, just making the statement that saying you HAVE to own a luxury car is idiotic at best. If you want to spend your hard earned money on something nice, go for it, that is why we work. We just choose to spend our money differently, but do not say you have to buy a luxury car because your neighbor does. That is stupid, and always will be

If you have the means, spend your money on whatever makes you happy, whether it be cars, vacations, handbags, stocks, Dave & Busters, whatever. But your mistake was buying something just to keep up with the Joneses. That should not have anything to do with it.

wasn't basing my comments on one book, just making the statement that saying you HAVE to own a luxury car is idiotic at best. If you want to spend your hard earned money on something nice, go for it, that is why we work. We just choose to spend our money differently, but do not say you have to buy a luxury car because your neighbor does. That is stupid, and always will be

Why do you think I listed Prius and Subaru on the list from the very start? If I wanted to keep up with the jones, I would be buying new luxury cars. There is a different between buying a nice car in a frugal way that also fits in socially vs. "keeping up with the jones".

You tried to jump on me without giving me credit from having thought it through from both social and financial angles. Now that you've been shown actual $ numbers, this is your way of a Partian shot?

Comparing the cost of a new car with the cost of a used car in order to make an overpriced car sound like a better deal...I feel like there is a logical fallacy in there somewhere.

Last edited:
Why do you think I listed Prius and Subaru on the list from the very start? If I wanted to keep up with the jones, I would be buying new luxury cars. There is a different between buying a nice car in a frugal way that also fits in socially vs. "keeping up with the jones".

You tried to jump on me without giving me credit from having thought it through from both social and financial angles. Now that you've been shown actual $ numbers, this is your way of a Partian shot?
You are still trying to justify buying car is needed for a social standpoint - that is simply wrong - and justify all you want - you cannot. You keep insisting that you NEED a nice car (new or used or whatever) it doesn't matter

You are still trying to justify buying car is needed for a social standpoint - that is simply wrong - and justify all you want - you cannot. You keep insisting that you NEED a nice car (new or used or whatever) it doesn't matter

It doesn't really matter. It is your money. Do whatever you want with it. Whatever brings enjoyment in your life.

It doesn't really matter. It is your money. Do whatever you want with it. Whatever brings enjoyment in your life.
I agreed with that aspect- just don't agree with xiphoid that you need a new car or else your house value will plummet, your kids will drop out of school, and you will loose your job

I agreed with that aspect- just don't agree with xiphoid that you need a new car or else your house value will plummet, your kids will drop out of school, and you will loose your job

One could make the argument that living as though you were poor would provide a healthier childhood than opulence...

Then leave it at that....don't agree. It sounds like you're taking it personally and attacking him for wanting a nice car for social reasons.

Comparing the cost of a new car with the cost of a used car in order to make an overpriced car sound like a better deal...I feel like there is a logical fallacy in there somewhere.

Did you know 3x more people buy used cars than new cars every year? It's a common sense cost analysis, no fallacy at all. It's a logical consideration when you have $X budget for a car: do you (a) buy a new one with fewer goodies or (b) one with more goodies but used one.

I call BS on what you said. People shape their behavior to what's socially acceptable. You aren't popping tags at the thrift shop or driving a Kia, I'm not short changing tips or church donations to save a buck, and most people under 40 aren't driving old geezer Lincoln/Cadillac/Buick, all for the same reason -- what's socially acceptable. Humans are social animals and by nature wants to fit in with those around them.

Nobody here said they NEED a luxury car, please don't try to pretend I said that. Lying is poor debating form. Then you try to dodge my cost analysis by say "just buy what makes you happy". You know what makes me happy? Getting a good deal on a nice car. You know what would make me unhappy? Not fitting in with neighbors and people I work with. You can go buy a new Toyota if that makes you happy. I'm a pragmatist, a certified use model (or a Prius/Subaru BRZ) for the same money allows me to both avoid any social cost with not fit in and be frugal at once. And being more fun to drive than another Corolla and Accord is a nice bonus too.

Last edited:
Oh, BS. People shape their behavior to what's socially acceptable. You aren't popping tags at the thrift shop or driving a Kia, /QUOTE]

Actually one of my good pharmacist friends buys all of her kids clothes at Good Will to save a buck - I don't have kids but I pop my tags at the local Wally World or Target - and damn I look fine!!!!!

Everything costs money. Any car has residual value, unlike a vacation which has zero. Why is okay to spend 5k on a great vacation for the "memories" and not an extra 5k on an Acura vs a Honda, which you drive EVERY DAY for years?

On the flip side justifying a used luxury car vs a new "standard" car, well you could also buy a 3 year old Accord or Camry and save even more money.

Whatever makes you happy, if whatever "that" is upsets someone else that is their problem. Anyone who isn't living in a $700 apartment in a border down is "wasting money" by definition too. Higher salaries, lower costs of living, etc , but for some reason it is okay to spend money on a house than on a car. Anyone that justifies a house as an appreciating asset doesn't have much experience owning a home.

See that where you and I differ. I shop at Marshalls and TJmaxx, where you can buy last year's quality stuff for the same price as the cheap stuff in Walmart.

See how I think like that with cars? Maybe its me, but scoring big discounts on quality stuff is fun.

Last edited:
..... Anyone that justifies a house as an appreciating asset doesn't have much experience owning a home.

I'm kind of scratching my head here at your last statement. I have consistently made good money off of Real Estate investments. The first purchases I made were in a run down area with a depressed economy. I made excellent rental income off of public housing payments (hud,) until I was able to sell said properties. I bought a triplex for $26,500, made rent for three years, and sold it for $80,000. I bought a run down three bedroom for $16,500, rented it for two years, and sold it for $20,000 (I put such horrible renters in there that the neighbors bought the house and tore it down.) :) Later I bought a condemned house for $21,000 in a nice area, lived in it for a year after repairing it ($10,000,) rented it for a year, and sold it for $80,000. Just last year I helped my mother find a good piece of investment land near a river in a wealthy neighborhood. Property purchased for $75,000, two grandfathered buildable lots with approved septic plans, next to a river, now valued at $130,000.

Real estate *can* be a good investment if you know what you're doing. On the other hand, you can lose you ass if you don't know what to look for (a class on building inspection and real estate law can be incredibly useful in that regard.)

I think the key is to not buy something so expensive that the mortgage interest eats your bottom line.

I meant as your primary residence. We have several rental properties, and done correctly they are profitable.

What I am talking about is the justification for a 500k house over a 150k house or almost any apartment, because it is an "appreciating asset". The interest alone on a 300k mortgage is more that most decent apartment rentals in 95% of the country. Real estate taxes in northern IL on a 500k home are 12-18k per year. Even if real estate increases 3% a year, your property tax alone eats that up every year, not counting maintenance, homeowners insurance vs rental insurance etc, again all on your primary residence. If you live in a townhouse or condo you can add $125-$400 per month for association fees. Also, once you're in a home for 10 years you start having significant maintenance costs that will begin to rear their head, tree trimming, roofs, driveways, mechanical equip, etc.

Added up most people would financially be better off in a luxury apartment than buying a respectable sized home. A 400k home financed for 30 years at the historic low interest rate of 4.25% would pay $708,000 for that home. Another 100-150k in real estate taxes, another 30k in insurance, time value of money, repairs, and you will be close to a million dollars for that home that may be worth 600-800k at the end of the 30yr period.

Now again, I'm not saying not to buy a house, that is why we work, to have nice things. I'm just pointing out what I believe is a hypocrisy with the argument that a luxury car is a waste, but a 500k home is not.

Last edited:
In the garage: 2008 M3, 2013 C63 AMG
The wifey car: 2013 Toyota Camry
The work car: 2013 Ford Focus ST

In the garage: 2008 M3, 2013 C63 AMG
The wifey car: 2013 Toyota Camry
The work car: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Man I got you totally beat, check out these bad boys in my garage!

2010-honda-odyssey-pic-52093.png

418pnGb-6WL.jpg

chicco-chicco-cortina-keyfit-30-travel-system-6079697.jpg

britax-b-agile-47-430-l.jpg

As we all know, red means speed! Yeah!

Last edited:
The Prius option certainly appeals to me financially. It's cheap both to buy and fill up. Not sure about their long term reliability since it's a more complex power-train but it is a Toyota. There are few other Priuses, or is it Prii, in the neighborhood and I've seen at least 1 in the MD/exec lot. A good tool to cover up frugality by diverting car talks to "carbon footprints".

Two main draw backs: (1) not sure my accord can hold on until the new model comes out this fall, and (2) it'll make the accord feel like a racer. >_<

Did you figure out what car to buy?

During my drive down to TX, I managed to get 60mpg while driving through Missouri (granted, there was pretty much no traffic on the road I took), and then it dipped back down to 50mpg in Arkansas & Texas. Locally, I'm getting about 50mpg, lower on the highways, but I think that's cuz the speed limit is like 70.

Did you figure out what car to buy?

During my drive down to TX, I managed to get 60mpg while driving through Missouri (granted, there was pretty much no traffic on the road I took), and then it dipped back down to 50mpg in Arkansas & Texas. Locally, I'm getting about 50mpg, lower on the highways, but I think that's cuz the speed limit is like 70.

Not yet. My wife's student loan got 1 more $7k payment left. :)

But I've been some researching online, like autotempest.com. Lots of certifies Mercedes E350 can be had between $30-$35k. Techs are insane, like self parking, automatic braking, adaptive cruise, and lane departure warning. The thing can almost can drive itself! Will probably take a test drive at least.

The BMW 528i can be had for the same price but doesn't have as much techs in it. Also doesn't seem as reliable as the Mercedes. But will test drive just to compare just if the driving dynamic is that much better. BMW 3's can be had for about $5k less, will look if a good deal pops up.

Still hoping the new Prius is going to come out with the next 2 months before I have to plunk down the money. The Scion FRS is another I have to test drive, it gotten rave reviews across multiple mags and sites.

Anyway, it'll happen in the 2-3 months max. The texas heat is helping me remember that my AC is nothing more than a fan. Yeah, its time to let the old faithful rest in peace.

But I've been some researching online, like autotempest.com. Lots of certifies Mercedes E350 can be had between $30-$35k. Techs are insane, like self parking, automatic braking, adaptive cruise, and lane departure warning. The thing can almost can drive itself! Will probably take a test drive at least.

The BMW 528i can be had for the same price but doesn't have as much techs in it. Also doesn't seem as reliable as the Mercedes. But will test drive just to compare just if the driving dynamic is that much better. BMW 3's can be had for about $5k less, will look if a good deal pops up.

Still hoping the new Prius is going to come out with the next 2 months before I have to plunk down the money. The Scion FRS is another I have to test drive, it gotten rave reviews across multiple mags and sites.

Anyway, it'll happen in the 2-3 months max. The texas heat is helping me remember that my AC is nothing more than a fan. Yeah, its time to let the old faithful rest in peace.

Wait until fall. The new Prius should be revealed and by the interior mule shots the interior looks Lexus-ish. And at 50mpg? Sign me up!

The german cars are nice but as someone who keeps their cars for 10+ years their expensive service turns me off.

Bought this a few months ago... :)
picture_php_pictureid_32996_f773f2b3673be9e284864724bf0ad8eed97d371f.jpg

I did a significant amount of research and in my book reliably ultimately trumped anything BMW, Audi, or Benz had to offer.

I have a Scion FRS. Your opinion of the car is going to be based by the type of driver you are. If you care about straight line power and acceleration and like driving on highways with no curves, forget about it, you will hate this car.

Now if you like drifting every time you turn or are on a curve, if you like making the tires squeal as you turn and traveling on twisty, curvy, mountainous roads, you will love this car.