Any PTs to MDs or PTs to DOs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geoexplorer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been a PT for 7 years and do enjoy my profession but I am planning to apply to MD/DO schools. Any successful converts would like to share their experiences from application process to job satisfaction? I did search on sdn for any previous posts but couldn't find any. If you know of one please direct me. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

take a look at my post history, i'm a PT who is now a 4th year DO student applying to PM&R residencies. if you have specific questions feel free to PM me (and welcome to SDN!)

J

I have been a PT for 7 years and do enjoy my profession but I am planning to apply to MD/DO schools. Any successful converts would like to share their experiences from application process to job satisfaction? I did search on sdn for any previous posts but couldn't find any. If you know of one please direct me. Thank you.

I am a PT turned MD...I am really luvin it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been a PT for 6 years now and working on getting into medical school. Welcome and good luck.

PT that practiced 6 years then went to med school, first year resident in general surgery, can't complain.

What was the reasons for the transition? Do you feel that being older was a large setback as far as beginning a new career?

Thank you for the responses. Well when it comes to age I don't think I can ingnore the fact that I am 30. Besides calculating how much I would make over the next 7-10 years as a PT, vs. how much I would make in my residency (minus the student loans and other miscellaneous costs), I have given much thought to how my decision will affect my family. My spouse is very supportive. Most of all I am doing it for career satisfaction. Despite all the pluses of being a physical therapist I am just not satisfied. My reasons include having the the tools to be an excellent diagnostician, and not worrying about being penalized for it by my state laws or by my referral sources, true professional autonomy, intense curiosity about medicine, and all of its specialties. I mean I don't think I'll continue in the rehab line and become a PM&R, but then I don't think I can make that decision right now. Do you think I need to consider other aspects? I have had this conversation with a few orthopedic surgeons, and internists but I have never had the opportunity to discuss with an MD/DO who was a former PT/OT. Please do indulge the reasons why you chose. Thanks

Thank you for the responses. Well when it comes to age I don't think I can ingnore the fact that I am 30. Besides calculating how much I would make over the next 7-10 years as a PT, vs. how much I would make in my residency (minus the student loans and other miscellaneous costs), I have given much thought to how my decision will affect my family. My spouse is very supportive. Most of all I am doing it for career satisfaction. Despite all the pluses of being a physical therapist I am just not satisfied. My reasons include having the the tools to be an excellent diagnostician, and not worrying about being penalized for it by my state laws or by my referral sources, true professional autonomy, intense curiosity about medicine, and all of its specialties. I mean I don't think I'll continue in the rehab line and become a PM&R, but then I don't think I can make that decision right now. Do you think I need to consider other aspects? I have had this conversation with a few orthopedic surgeons, and internists but I have never had the opportunity to discuss with an MD/DO who was a former PT/OT. Please do indulge the reasons why you chose. Thanks

I'm a PT who went MD, now applying for Radiology, although I was a millimeter away from applying to PM&R. If you are worried about job satisfaction and affects on your family, I'd consider PA school as it is MUCH less time, a good increase in salary, you can practice in any field in medicine after two years, and your PT skills will be VERY valuable to almost any field you choose to go into.

As far as me, I didn't choose MD over PT... I was MD from the beginning and went to PT school as a good bridge to learn about clinical care, the health care continuum, and manual therapy.

I would echo the above posting. I am a PT --> DO. I love being a PT and I don't think that I would have gone to medical school if I had gone the Bio/Chem/Research route. As stated earlier, PT can be limiting in some aspects...it just comes down to if you can't deal with those limitations and want to get back into the game. PA has some advantages in the quick return on your investment, but you are again always under the thumb of a higher up (But aren't we all). Either way the skills of a PT translate very well into PA or DO/MD. Best of luck.

I am the same way except I decided the DDS/DMD route than med school. I have been practicing PT for 4 years and got fed up with the limitations and wanted more freedom...I thought about opening my own PT clinic but with coroporations and HMO's buying out PT practices and MD groups (loss of referrals), I decided it is a good time to explore other alternatives...with dentistry, you still get to use your hands as a surgeon albeit in a small space of the mouth but only need to go through four years of school and you are done compared to med school + residency...plus I am married and do not want to lose more time with my wife especially when we decide to have kids which is most likely soon...and she is a MD and I saw what she went through as a resident...being on-call SUCKS!!! So, if you are worried about your family you should see if dentistry is a fit...some people asked me why the mouth as this could be disgusting...I just tell them stinky feet and hairy, smell butt cracks are much worse!!!

dentistry is a GREAT field, I just couldn't do it because I love the MSK system and would feel like my PT education wasn't being used - guess you could also focus on TMJ D/Os though!

less debt from school and back to making money much quicker than the medicine route and of course NO CALL - definitely a good deal if the mouth is your thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
dentistry is a GREAT field, I just couldn't do it because I love the MSK system and would feel like my PT education wasn't being used - guess you could also focus on TMJ D/Os though!

less debt from school and back to making money much quicker than the medicine route and of course NO CALL - definitely a good deal if the mouth is your thing.

Dentistry is awesome... any premed I talk to now a days, I mention dentistry as a great alternative. Most students in college can't foresee being on call q4, waking up at 4am to be ready for rounds at 6am and then working to 8pm. Those who can conceptualize it, can't foresee meeting the person of their dreams and wanting to start a family. My friend is starting dental school this year. He'll be making 200K before I finish residency, and I've already gone through 3 yrs UG, 3 yrs PT school, 3.5 yrs med school.

I think the use of the hands will have some skill transfer in the field of dentistry. And, yes, I could specialize in treatment of TMJ manually as a dentist. I will miss the MSK system as well, but as long as I get to use my hands, I will be happy. One part of PT that I did dislike was just educating and supervising ther. ex. which can get sooo boring...I do not know how personal trainers spend their days just teaching exercises...too boring.

My friend is starting dental school this year. He'll be making 200K before I finish residency, and I've already gone through 3 yrs UG, 3 yrs PT school, 3.5 yrs med school.

I know....but he'll have to look at TEETH all day. ;)

I too have heard great things about dentistry. I sublet a room to a dentist (just out of training) for a few months, and he made great money, had nice hours, etc. It makes me wonder why I'm slaving along with research and whatnot, when I could be making bank poking people with sharp objects. :(

-t

was going to go to PT school but talking to these guys convinced me to pursue my goal of medical school...so I'm currently applying now!

was going to go to PT school but talking to these guys convinced me to pursue my goal of medical school...so I'm currently applying now!

I hope we did not scare you from PT. One thing I will miss is the patient interaction (and the gifts!!!). My wife gets jealous some times as most patients do not know why they only see their MD/DO for 10-15 minutes. PT's have the luxury to spend up to 45 min - hour with a patient. Again, I will miss it, but for me, it is not the primary factor in my job satisfaction. So if it is patient interaction you like, then you might need to reconsider life as a MD/DO, but if it is not a major factor to you personally, then go for it...become a MD/DO...and good luck!

Too much patient interaction and limited scope and knowlege were big deciding factors for me. I enjoyed helping people, but I am personally drained by people who I have to pull out of their shell every time I see them because I am usually that person. Two quiet reserved people makes for a strained session. Or if there are people who just annoy the crap out of you, you're basically stuck with this person for a lot longer than you'd like. However, time flys by when you have an engaging person. I wanted medicine because the amount of time for a physician is long enough to get to know the person somewhat, hear their complaint, give them options, and then carry out treatment. Done deal. Also, I am fascinated by anatomy and surgery and want to pursue this avenue eventually. Good luck to anyone thinking of making the switch.

Too much patient interaction and limited scope and knowlege were big deciding factors for me.

I hate to admit it sometimes, but this is one of my bigger reasons for making the switch as well. Spending 45-60 minutes with patients was appealing for a few years, but then I realized I really didn't want or need to spend this much time with each patient. If you have great patients it is wonderful. If you have a healthy batch of knuckledraggers (most of us do) you can almost hear the life force being sucked out through your pores.

I love the science of PT, but I want more scope and less interaction with my patients.

Too much patient interaction and limited scope and knowlege were big deciding factors for me. I enjoyed helping people, but I am personally drained by people who I have to pull out of their shell every time I see them because I am usually that person. Two quiet reserved people makes for a strained session. Or if there are people who just annoy the crap out of you, you're basically stuck with this person for a lot longer than you'd like. However, time flys by when you have an engaging person. I wanted medicine because the amount of time for a physician is long enough to get to know the person somewhat, hear their complaint, give them options, and then carry out treatment. Done deal. Also, I am fascinated by anatomy and surgery and want to pursue this avenue eventually. Good luck to anyone thinking of making the switch.

good luck!

Last edited:
Yes I must say I agree with the above comment.

Yes, from my name you can guess that I was/am a PT (graduated with a BS! in PT way back in the good old days, 1990,when PT's only needed an undergrad degree) who made the switch. I thought about getting my master's, but the field was changing over to MPT in the early 90's and I figured why go into huge debt for a degree that wouldn't increase my earning potential significantly. Then thought about the MOMT thing, but again, what physician was going to refer patients for manual therapy (answer: none). I made the switch after much thought and could not be happier:)! PT has helped me tremendously in anatomy ( I'm in radiology residency now). I'm glad I did the PT thing first, but I would NEVER do it now. No way do PT's need a 7 year degree to do what I learned in getting my BS. I could go on for a long time about this. PT was too limiting for me. As a PT I was routinely told that I was only going to get a cost of living increase because I was the highest paid PT in the company. I hated busting my ass for 3% raise every year, if I was lucky. No incentive to work harder. Very difficult to open your own clinic.

Yes, call blows, but overall worth it. My spouse is very supportive. I've also got 2 little ones and will be 40 :eek: this year. I figured out that if I made $70K ( I rounded WAY up here) as a PT, then the 4 years of medical school plus the 5 years of residency and 1 year fellowship put me in the hole $700K. Add a $200K medical school loan, and for good measure another $100K for interest...I am in the hole $1 million dollars for this adventure! But, I can work 'til I'm dead (I'm going to have to). And, you are more valuable the older you get in medicine, unlike PT where you max out quickly.

Overall, yes, It is all worth it. PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck.

Great story. Congrats on your residency as well. I hope to be in your shoes in about 4 years.

Yes, from my name you can guess that I was/am a PT (graduated with a BS! in PT way back in the good old days, 1990,when PT's only needed an undergrad degree) who made the switch. I thought about getting my master's, but the field was changing over to MPT in the early 90's and I figured why go into huge debt for a degree that wouldn't increase my earning potential significantly. Then thought about the MOMT thing, but again, what physician was going to refer patients for manual therapy (answer: none). I made the switch after much thought and could not be happier:)! PT has helped me tremendously in anatomy ( I'm in radiology residency now). I'm glad I did the PT thing first, but I would NEVER do it now. No way do PT's need a 7 year degree to do what I learned in getting my BS. I could go on for a long time about this. PT was too limiting for me. As a PT I was routinely told that I was only going to get a cost of living increase because I was the highest paid PT in the company. I hated busting my ass for 3% raise every year, if I was lucky. No incentive to work harder. Very difficult to open your own clinic.

Yes, call blows, but overall worth it. My spouse is very supportive. I've also got 2 little ones and will be 40 :eek: this year. I figured out that if I made $70K ( I rounded WAY up here) as a PT, then the 4 years of medical school plus the 5 years of residency and 1 year fellowship put me in the hole $700K. Add a $200K medical school loan, and for good measure another $100K for interest...I am in the hole $1 million dollars for this adventure! But, I can work 'til I'm dead (I'm going to have to). And, you are more valuable the older you get in medicine, unlike PT where you max out quickly.

Overall, yes, It is all worth it. PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck.

I'm a PT going into Radiology... where are you at residency? how do you like it? You're story is very inspiring to me... I can't wait to start Rads!

Im not a pt or an ot but i will be applying to OT school next year. I think that if you truly feel that yoou are not satified or that you did not fulfill your aspirations I would say go for it. i decided to going to OT school instead of medical school which I was originally geared towards because it would be a good bridge toward medicine. I also after finishing OT school i am not sure be satisfied as an OT because I feel that is not what I am cut out to do but only time can tell. So follow your aspirations I think you would be a happier person. good luck

Ok, I'm about done with my first semester of med school, and it has been the most stressful time in my life. There are also times that I think, what on earth was I thinking making the switch? Then I think back to all the unsatisfying days working as a PT and realize that I made the right decision. I actually thought med school would be a lot easier having been a therapist first, and for anatomy and OPP class it has been a huge advantage and I'm sure my clinical experience will kick in more come third and fourth years. But people weren't lying when they said the information is like drinking from a fire hydrant. Just an example, we had to learn 40 chapters of biochemistry in two weeks (don't ask, it's the pathway I chose), and I thought I was going to have a mental breakdown from the stress. But I'm still here and not on any antidepressants. My advice now would be do not make the switch unless you are absolutely 100% sure this is what you want. I am and finally have peace that I am doing exactly what I'm supposed to be.

Ok here goes. Im in 2nd year PT school and I am not enjoying myself. To all those who made the switch, would you recommend I finish or just go for it? I know that its good to have PT under my belt just in case but Im wondering if the time and the debt is worth it as well as I get the feeling that once I graduate and can make an ok salary Im gonna jump on it. Any advice?

I might consider hanging in there and finishing out. It would be easier justifying the switch after you've been practicing for a few years vs during school. The adcoms of medical schools may see that differently however.

At the very least, you'll have a fairly well paying job both before and during med school. I am planning on doing some home health on the side in med school. At $60 per hour (before taxes) that's not bad money to live on. :thumbup: Either way, good luck with your decision.

Ok here goes. Im in 2nd year PT school and I am not enjoying myself. To all those who made the switch, would you recommend I finish or just go for it? I know that its good to have PT under my belt just in case but Im wondering if the time and the debt is worth it as well as I get the feeling that once I graduate and can make an ok salary Im gonna jump on it. Any advice?

Finish the degree, it's good to have as many degrees as you can get b4 med school.

I agree with the others. Having your degree will give you options and a good paying job in the end whether you decide to go on or not. If you don't get into med school you don't have much to fall back on, or if you get into medschool afterwards and find out it's not what you want or for some reason can't cut it (just sayin', i'm sure you're a superstar genius), you still have a good profession to practice in.:luck:

Finish the degree. I had the same thoughts during my second year of PT school, but I really would have been in trouble had I quit because I went to school in the time when the 3+3 for MSPT still existed. Had I dropped out, I would have had no degree at all to fall back on.

Thanks Guys Also will being a PT help me get in somewhere?

Also were any PT grades calculated in your science GPA or only cum as graduate work?

I think my grades from PT school counted only as graduate work.

I think my PT degree was very helpful in getting in, especially among the osteopathic schools.

I think my grades from PT school counted only as graduate work.

I think my PT degree was very helpful in getting in, especially among the osteopathic schools.

I'm a PT and I applied to DO schools... I had applied to 9 but completed 2. I got rejected from BOTH DO programs. So, I don't know if my PT degree was a consideration, but I got into 4 allopathic progs. Go figure.

Reading this thread has helped me better think of why PT or MD, so thanks for you guys for writing...

This spring I will begin takign pre-reqs in the sciences leaning towards PT or MD. Although not currently practicing, I am an athletic trainer. I chose to not work as one while taking my courses it is much difficult to have your work schedule around your classes. I love being hands-on and felt PT would satisfy yet I love anatomy and phys to a much greater detail, to include pathophys. I would be afraid that being a PTwould give me more leeway in providing broader care for my patients, but once I got into pathophys, neuroanatomy, etc., etc., I'd be thinking 'I could be doing the same thing in medical school' and be much further along in training and care. Although tempting, I try to keep my eye on the prize of medical school and look at orthopedics as a possibility, and continue my contact with both the athletic and the babyboomer gymrat.

Good luck to you all:luck:

No one mentioned becoming a nurse alternatively? Interesting....
I am a DO to PT convert. For all of the above mentioned reasons, and medical school wasn't for me. Doctoring wasn't for me. Although, full-time PT isn't for me either. I will start a PhD program in PT this summer, and look forward to teaching in a PT program in 4 years. Happiness is my primary concern, and I have yet to meet a professor with valid stressors.
If I could do it all over again, I would become a nurse and retire at 35 ;)

I am a DO to PT convert. For all of the above mentioned reasons, and medical school wasn't for me. Doctoring wasn't for me. Although, full-time PT isn't for me either. I will start a PhD program in PT this summer, and look forward to teaching in a PT program in 4 years. Happiness is my primary concern, and I have yet to meet a professor with valid stressors.

You actually never finished DO school..did you? If u did...i bet you would stay DO.....

Mom's a nurse. No thank you. If you haven't met a professor with "valid stressors" you haven't looked very hard. It is a route I may take as well, but don't kid yourself. The pressure to earn money for the ol'university will definitely be there and the pay isn't stellar. That being said, go for what makes you happy.

hi,PALS! gald to meet u here...In fact for past six months i was searching for a PT turned M.D.thank god i found u guys...i just need few info from u..firstlet me introduce myself..i'm a student doing my bachelor of physicaltherapy degree in India...i wanna pursue M.D. after completing my bachelor's degree...Is it possible to take
M.D. straight away after completing bachelor of physicaltherapy ? if so,where and how ?plz give a info...waiting for ur reply

hi,PALS! gald to meet u here...In fact for past six months i was searching for a PT turned M.D.thank god i found u guys...i just need few info from u..firstlet me introduce myself..i'm a student doing my bachelor of physicaltherapy degree in India...i wanna pursue M.D. after completing my bachelor's degree...Is it possible to take
M.D. straight away after completing bachelor of physicaltherapy ? if so,where and how ?plz give a info...waiting for ur reply

As long as you meet the medical school's admission requirements, you should be able to apply to any school. Medical schools really dont care about what undergrad degree you have as long as all prereqs have been met. Spend some time researching each school to be sure you have all the classes, tests, or other requirements (for example, most schools require or highly suggest volunteer work and research experience). Good Luck!

freddy: Wow, shocked you didn't get DO. Yes, I thought my PT degree, age and work experience definitely helped me get into medical school and radiology. I'm in Michigan and LOVE it. I highly recommend radiology if you like anatomy. PM me with any other questions.

for anyone who is in PT/OT/Pharm/etc. school....STAY PUT and get the degree. There is no way I could complete residency without working as a PT. Hospitals love PT's who want to work weekends/holidays. And, it reminds me why I went to medical school in the first place.:D

I am a PT turned MD...I am really luvin it!
@ Shah_Patel_PT : sir, i understood that u r a PT turned MD...GLAD !!:)
even i'm a PT student,wanna pursue MD after completing my course..i'll b grateful to u if u tell me how u got MD..and the ways to get into it...
looking for ur reply...

Krauser, all the PTs turned physicians (MD or DO) completed medical school just as any other physician must. There is no program that links the two together and absolutley no test that allows to just get an MD after physical therapy school. If you mean pursue medical school after physical therapy degree, then you have to apply just like everyone else and make sure you have the pre requisite courses (year of chem, bio, physics, and organic chem, and calculus for some schools) plus you need to take the MCAT. I don't know if the pre requisite work can be taken out of this country or not. No easy way or shortcuts into medical school in this country.

thaks alot for that reply,myr11...so if i wanna do M.d. i gotta complete medical school..ok fine..so how to get into medical school..how long does it take to complete this M.D.course ?