Any recommendation for schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist32721

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
my stats are
oGPA 3.66
sGPA 3.62
DAT
PAT 21
QR 24
RC 18
BIO 19
GC 26
OC 20
TS 20
AA 21
and I am a NY resident.
I have more than 1000 hours of volunteering (as a teacher)
and 250+ hours of shadowing.
I researched for three semesters, yet did not publish any paper.
I don't think my personal statement will stand out....
It is a decent one, which purely explains why I want to be a dentist.

Schools that I am interested in:
Harvard
Columbia
UCLA
UPenn
University of Pacific
UCSF
Stony Brook
Buffalo
University of Washington
University of Connecticut
NYU
University of Michigan
University of Maryland
VCU
Temple
Tufts
BU
University of Pittsburgh
USC
Western
Nova
Rutgers
Case Western
Lecom
University of NewEngland
Howard

Is my list too long or too short?
What do you think about it?
Should I add/ remove some schools?

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Remove Harvard, UCLA, UCSF, and UW. If you aren't black, remove Howard as well. I would add UDM.

Harvard and Columbia is a pretty far reach since you only have a 21 AA. For those schools I would say to have all sciences and RC A 20+. Also, are you a URM? If not take Howard off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard and Columbia is a pretty far reach since you only have a 21 AA. For those schools I would say to have all sciences and RC A 20+. Also, are you a URM? If not take Howard off.

nope I am an Asian.
so, do you recommend to take off Harvard, Columbia, and Howard off?

Thanks

Take of USC (Only IS pretty much), Harvard, Columbia, Howard, Washington and UCLA. UCSF will be a stretch. Everything else I think you have a fair shot.

Also this list is pretty long, if money isn't an issue keep it but here you're looking at like $3,000 in primaries and secondaries alone.

Take of USC (Only IS pretty much), Harvard, Columbia, Howard, Washington and UCLA. UCSF will be a stretch. Everything else I think you have a fair shot.

Also this list is pretty long, if money isn't an issue keep it but here you're looking at like $3,000 in primaries and secondaries alone.

Oh, I thought UCLA has IS preference, not USC.
Thank you!

Oh, I thought UCLA has IS preference, not USC.
Thank you!

Oh I'm sorry I for some reason thought you meant south carolina, Yes UCLA has IS preference, not sure about USC!

with your stats, I wouldn't go more than 15. Add OSU, their tuition is quite cheap compared to private schools. Why not Buffalo?
And remove some private schools.

nope I am an Asian.
so, do you recommend to take off Harvard, Columbia, and Howard off?

Thanks
Definitely take off Howard and Harvard. If you have the money, you could possibly keep Columbia since your DAT scores are good, but on the lower spectrum for that specific school. Good luck this cycle!

Also, I would keep USC because they're private and OOS friendly, BUT you need to ask yourself this. "If USC is the only school I'm accepted to, will I actually go there?" Too many people don't ask this question and when reality hits and that's the only school they're accepted to they end up declining their offer because they either don't like the school, or (in USCs case) it's too expensive. I'm not saying you're only going to be accepted into one school, you just want to make sure to keep your costs low during this application cycle because the money you spend adds up!

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on the extent of research experience, I would keep UCSF. Great school and I got an interview there with kind of similar stats. I applied to mostly the same schools as you and interviewed at stony brook, NYU, and UCSF, and got a scholarship offer from BU. I think you have a good chance at those. Take off ucla. Dat is too low. I would re consider western and USC. As the above said, would you actually go there? That's something I really didn't consider as weird as it seems... And I regret it. Haha

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely take off Howard and Harvard. If you have the money, you could possibly keep Columbia since your DAT scores are good, but on the lower spectrum for that specific school. Good luck this cycle!

Thanks!

Also, I would keep USC because they're private and OOS friendly, BUT you need to ask yourself this. "If USC is the only school I'm accepted to, will I actually go there?" Too many people don't ask this question and when reality hits and that's the only school they're accepted to they end up declining their offer because they either don't like the school, or (in USCs case) it's too expensive. I'm not saying you're only going to be accepted into one school, you just want to make sure to keep your costs low during this application cycle because the money you spend adds up!

I always wish to live in California, so if I get in, I will definitely go to USC. Do you have any specific reason why some people hesitate to go USC except the tuition?

Depending on the extent of research experience, I would keep UCSF. Great school and I got an interview there with kind of similar stats. I applied to mostly the same schools as you and interviewed at stony brook, NYU, and UCSF, and got a scholarship offer from BU. I think you have a good chance at those. Take off ucla. Dat is too low. I would re consider western and USC. As the above said, would you actually go there? That's something I really didn't consider as weird as it seems... And I regret it. Haha

Wow!
What kind of research experience did you have? I really want to go NYU, BU, UCSF because they are all located in big cities.

Nothing that I can't think of besides it being PBL, which some people can't do because it's quite different. USC is an awesome school! If it weren't for the tuition, I would totally have gone there! Also, if you want to practice in Cali USC gives some weight when you practice because they're all about their alumni network and that might give you "some" patients