Any recommendations for an impatient med/psych morning report topic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carlosc1dbz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to do a morning report as I am currently rotating through the CL service. I was curious if anyone could recommend a good topic to present to the medicine team. I am used to presenting to psychiatry and there are a wide variety of good topics for psychiatry, but when presenting to medicine, I feel somewhat stuck. I want to present something that will have some clinical usefulness for the medicine team on the ward. The topic has to be psych patient related. Has anyone given, attended, or just have any good topic ideas? I can't present benzo/alcohol withdrawal, delirium ddx and work up, or or capacity evaluations.

Members don't see this ad.

I have to do a morning report as I am currently rotating through the CL service. I was curious if anyone could recommend a good topic to present to the medicine team. I am used to presenting to psychiatry and there are a wide variety of good topics for psychiatry, but when presenting to medicine, I feel somewhat stuck. I want to present something that will have some clinical usefulness for the medicine team on the ward. The topic has to be psych patient related. Has anyone given, attended, or just have any good topic ideas? I can't present benzo/alcohol withdrawal, delirium ddx and work up, or or capacity evaluations.

Will refer you to a list of great papers that splik put up a while ago:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/100-papers-in-clinical-psychiatry.1059514/

Recommend you skip to the psychosomatic part, take a look at qtc prolongation in psychmeds or maybe how to assess malingering. Thats pretty medicine related. Just read a quick review article and make it into a ppt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A few presentations I've done:
  • Differentiating Delirium from Dementia in the geriatric patient
  • Anticholinergic Delirium vs. psychosis. There are many anticholinergic drugs that are not primarily psychiatric.
  • Substance induced psychosis vs. schizophrenia
  • Differentiating Malignant Catatonia from NMS
  • Common medication interactions that can precipitate serotonin syndrome
  • Guidelines in the treatment of patients with agitation / aggression. Primary care in the hospital see this a lot sometimes lack the psychiatrist's expertise with medications, resulting in a psychiatry consult.
  • Malingering, evaluation and treatment. IM sees this as much as we do, probably more.

Reactions: 1 users
Managing demented patients on the inpatient medicine wards. These folks are their bread and butter, but some services do a pretty awful job of managing them with medications and behavioral interventions.

Reactions: 1 users
My personal favorite remains the classic 'IT'S NOT THE $*&$ING HALDOL!!!!-Why your meds are more likely to be causing QTc prolongation than my meds'

I'd love to see MOM's presentation, but I think I can guess what's on the last slide.

These are all wonderful ideas! Thank you so much . I am going to put together a list and pass it by my attending. Someone did Catatonia earlier this year, so I cannot do it, but I think its a great topic. Depression and heart disease is a good topic, so I will add this to the list. I think that the malingering patient is a good one, as well as the management of the agitated patient as well. I spent I do not know how much time looking at the 100 clinical papers in psychiatry, that is an amazing post! I have readings for the rest of the year.

I think I saw the, Its not the %^&*ing Haldol!!! many years ago. I am going to look for it online. Overall I am looking forward to this presentation. I'll keep you guys updated.