any residents from UTHSCSA on here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

100YardDash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Soon to be PGY-1 here. Just wanted to know how the hours are during intern year and if there is enough time to get my daily exercise fix? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not there (or going to be there), but I wanted to throw out a suggestion since I see you bumped up another thread about exercising in residency. Right before 3rd year started I switched over to home-based workouts, which have been fantastic for getting this done while busy. You really have no excuse not to workout when you have the stuff sitting in front of you (mine's next to the tv - lift while watching whatever show you like). Once I switched to home only, I quickly realized how much time I was wasting socializing, waiting for other people, just sitting around, etc. at the gyms.

You don't need to get a ton of stuff immediately for a good workout. If you'll be in Texas, then you should have good weather to run year round if you like that for cardio. I get so freaking bored running so I've been doing a lot of in home things like the plyo/circuit training in Insanity and P90X.

For weights - If you look around you can find dumbbells bars with plates from any sporting goods store for cheap (or Amazon, but only do it with free shipping) and people are constantly selling this stuff on Craigslist. You can lay on the floor instead of getting a bench (obviously different, but very good modification for home use) or use a stability ball. I rarely bench because I do a lot of pushup variations and have still gotten good pec development. Over time I've bought resistance bands with a door jam, a pull-up bar, three medicine balls, and my stability ball.

If you don't want to buy weights, you can do a lot of different body weight exercises at home to get some resistance training in and do a bunch of core work in addition to whatever cardio you want.

None of this stuff takes up that much space and costs little if you buy it over time (how much would you spend on a gym?). There's tons of at home workouts you can find online or you can go with the Beachbody ones (Insanity and the P90Xs have been awesome for me). You could probably find used copies for cheap on ebay.

Hope that's helpful even though not exactly your original question. It's my plan to be able to do at least something at home 4-5 days a week. I figure if I ever find myself not having time to do it but I turn the tv on, I'll crank out push-ups and core work during every commercial.

I'm gonna throw in my two cents on the exercise part too. First of all, nice to hear that you're thinking about it. So many of my fellow med student classmates just said "I'd better work out 4th year because I won't be able to work out for __ years after it." Not only is that the wrong attitude to have, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. In PM&R (as opposed to other, more time-intensive fields), I really believe that just about everyone should have the ability to stay in shape, even during residency.

For me, I find that working out in the morning is the only way I can do it. I get up early, do as much of a workout as I have time for, then go to work. I never have the situation arise where I get stuck late at work and miss my workout. I do get stuck at work a lot, and it rarely bothers me (as much) if I've already done my workout.

I also have a family, and find I end up leaving the house before my wife and kid wake up anyway, so it's not like there is any "missed time." The hardest part to get used to is going to bed earlier as it's the only way that you can get up early every day.

My intern year had nowhere near the volume I was able to do during medical school, but I am much more focused in my workouts and was even able to set some PRs that year because I worked out more efficiently. PGY2 year has been even longer hours, but I've got a good system down now and I'm enjoying it much more. The habits you make during your intern year (how much TV you watch, how much exercise you do, how much sleep you get, etc.) will continue long after it's over...

Members don't see this ad :)
I exercise 5-7 days a week. I tend to do better with evening workouts for whatever reason, so always go after day shifts before heading home. For night shifts, I'd go to bed when I got home, got up by 3:30, and then went to the gym and then go to work. It kinda sucks that most days I didn't have time for much else besides work, gym, shower, eat, sleep...but it's worth it to me to keep an exercise schedule. Luckily, my husband is the same way (also an intern). It's all about routine...

Gotta workout in the morning or it doesn't happen for me. Love the early spin classes. When I finish my day I want to go home. Gets me to work early as well.

When I move I'll be looking into getting a simple bench and powerblocks.

Gotta workout in the morning or it doesn't happen for me. Love the early spin classes. When I finish my day I want to go home. Gets me to work early as well.

When I move I'll be looking into getting a simple bench and powerblocks.

Those are totally on my wish list for whenever I have money, they are just so expensive. I was able to buy my whole plates with dumbbell bar set for under $100. One day...

Soon to be PGY-1 here. Just wanted to know how the hours are during intern year and if there is enough time to get my daily exercise fix? Thanks!

Former UTHSCSA med student. Don't know the specific hours for PM&R internship but the new duty hours for all interns kicked in last year. There is a Spectrum (chain) gym on campus and a Gold's down the street. There's a track on campus as well, and plenty of people run in the area. I think you will make time if you're motivated (since you posted you probably are).

Thanks for the replies. I am really into cross-fit and was looking into joining a local gym close to the med center. The only reason i ask is because of the way crossfit is set up.. the classes are set at certain times during the day... for example you can do the M-W-F classes from 5:30-6:30 am etc. So, I know the rotations change up during intern year and thus the hours vary.. just wanted to see which rotation is the most demanding.

But yes, I'm sure you can find time to exercise during residency... it all about making sacrifices. Of course, I am single and would imagine it can be harder to find time once you have a family. Thanks for the replies

Former UTHSCSA med student. Don't know the specific hours for PM&R internship but the new duty hours for all interns kicked in last year. There is a Spectrum (chain) gym on campus and a Gold's down the street. There's a track on campus as well, and plenty of people run in the area. I think you will make time if you're motivated (since you posted you probably are).

Do residents get a free membership at the spectrum on campus? Thanks

Do residents get a free membership at the spectrum on campus? Thanks

Apparently so.

The Spectrum Fitness Center is located by the recreational sports complex on the west side of Central Campus. Generally, most students are automatic members through their Fitness Center fee. Contact the Office of Student Life if you have any questions.

http://studentservices.uthscsa.edu/SL_WellnessRecSports.aspx

Surprising because it's usually a pricey club.

Oh you'll get your exercise. Running for codes. Ha Ha

Seriously I did alot of jogging on my evenings after work (I am not a morning person) and our hospital had a little workout dungeon populated with workout equipment from prior residents.

Exercise will help burn off the excessive adrenaline from all your rookie mistakes. I highly recommend making time for it.

Oh you'll get your exercise. Running for codes. Ha Ha

Seriously I did alot of jogging on my evenings after work (I am not a morning person) and our hospital had a little workout dungeon populated with workout equipment from prior residents.

Exercise will help burn off the excessive adrenaline from all your rookie mistakes. I highly recommend making time for it.

good point. Thanks. I guess the answer is if you really want to exercise, you'll make time for it