Any RNs currently on here applying for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoingForward1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a RN wanting to pursue medical school. I thought for a long time about NP school. The NP programs are too inconsistent from one to the next, some are still master's level, some are only doctorate level. It doesn't really appeal to me. Medical school is straight forward.
I have a background in cardiology, though I am currently working in med-surg to expand my knowledge about other disease processes. I like the diagnostic process and I strongly believe I would feel "at home" in the physician role.
I'm wondering if there are any RNs currently on here? The medical school I want to apply to is a state school and the minimum they require is the typical 8 hours ochem, 8 hours reg chem, 8 hours physics, etc. I have a BSN in nursing and have been told by some that pursing a full biology degree at this point would be unnecessary and that I should take the classes I need + MCAT and apply. Any insight on that?

Members don't see this ad.

The advice you got was good. There is no reason to take more classes than you need + MCAT, and you already have the clinical experience to show you know what you're getting into.

The only reason you would need to take more classes than you need to meet the application requirements is to raise your GPA by getting a bunch of A's. Competitive applicants typically have at least a 3.6, preferably a 3.7 in their cumulative and science GPAs. If your GPA is already in that range, then just take the additional requirements you haven't taken yet, get A's in them, study for and take the MCAT, and apply!

Also, do not just apply to one medical school. If you need to stay in your area, apply to all the medical schools within 75 or 100 miles or something like that. Any one medical school can be very unpredictable in terms of who they will take and who they won't (once things like MCAT and GPA are equal among candidates being considered), so you want to apply to at least 10 schools to hopefully get into 1 school. And that's if your MCAT is >30 (preferably 33+) and your GPAs are both solid (>3.6).

If you're willing to relocate for medical school, then definitely apply to all your state schools and then private schools where you fit within their MCAT and GPA range. You can purchase the MSAR, an official publication with accepted applicant statistics for each school, for $30 from the aamc.org website.

There are many other RN to MD threads on this forum.. you can find them via the search feature. Best of luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks! My cumulative GPA is a 3.75, the average for the school I want is 3.7 and the average MCAT is 29-30. There are only 2 schools I can consider unless we move. I feel really good about my chances with my top choice though. They do say they want well rounded candidates.

I need to finish ochem and physics, I can take more undergrad biology classes to up my GPA. Another concern I have is that I want to finish these classes while working FT, which means my course load will be less than a full time undergrad. I hear a lot on here about course loads being evaluated by admissions and I don't want that to count against me though I don't have much of a choice.

I did search and see some RNs on here discussing med school, but haven't found much on if we should pursue extra classes or if our background is enough to say we know why we are doing this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a BSN nurse as well on the journey to applying to medical school. Finishing up the prereqs this May and MCAT in August. Yeah, I've thought about getting a Bio degree, only for BCPM increase purposes, but really I'm just taking extra classes. You dont "need" another degree. I agree with your advice. I live in glorious Texas, so we have quite a bit of medical schools, but I'm also applying out of state, and to DO programs.

If you are working fulltime, schools will understand that you have a lot on your hands already. Taking class part time wouldn't look so bad. Agree that you should apply to as many schools as possible. Even though you are within the schools' ranges, things can still be unpredictable. I also recommend working part time when studying for MCAT. I worked full time during my MCAT and it was tough (I started working on my med schools application about 2 after graduation)

You need to keep in that you're not a traditional applicant and that much of the advice in this forum is aimed at traditional students (or at least those that are full-time students). For example, you don't need to worry about the perceived "rigor" of your post-bacc work - it's apparent that you can handle the rigor of med school if you graduated with a BSN with a decent GPA and do well in the pre-reqs you're taking now. Adcoms understand that you are only human and will recognize that you can only do so much while working full-time. Most people in this forum aren't in that situation, thus a higher degree of rigor is expected in their coursework. That's all they're doing.

I might suggest heading over to the non-trad forum. You will likely get more helpful and relevant information there than here.

Reactions: 1 user
prettyNURSEtoMD - thanks! I'm pregnant, expecting our first in October, so that limits our desire to want to move away from the helps of family. I'm considering taking 1-2 classes this summer. I won't be able to in the fall, I'll have to resume classes in 2015. I have at least 6 classes I need to take before I can take the MCAT. It won't be a quick journey to applying but I'm happy to have decided to begin the path.

amy1209 - the good thing about nursing is it three 12's a week. Especially with a baby coming, I would love to go PRN eventually but that will depend on finances when the time comes. I already have a chunk of loans from nursing school.

NickNaylor - I really appreciate that input. I was just thinking that before I logged back in today. I started out college pre-med though was never quite in a position to fully pursue it. I don't mind nursing, I wouldn't be were I am today without it, but it does leave a lot to be desired. I will look into the non-trad forum.

Good luck on everyone's application. I am also an RN with by BSN and graduated from nursing school in 2012. I would like to be matriculated into an MD program in the Fall of 2015. I currently have a 4.0 science GPA and 3.9 cum GPA. I have completed all of my pre reqs except for ochem 2 which i will be finished with in May 2014. Let us continue this thread. I would like to see everyones progress in the upcoming application cycles :).

Question for you RN's pursuing med school...

I am starting nursing school this January and getting my BSN and starting to feel like I may want to go to med school. I've really always wanted to, but was intimidated and didn't think I could do it. I do want to finish nursing school, though.

Should I start taking some of the prerequisites now before school starts and during summers? Is that allowed to spread classes out like that (do they expire years later when I'd be applying for medical school?)

Also, when students say "a year's worth of biology...a year's worth of chemistry...etc" are part of med-school prerequisites, do they mean an actual year, or amount of credits, or what? Very confused because I've done my homework looking at MD schools around the country but it seems like they require different courses? Any help would be appreciated!

I've always taken it to mean gen physics 1&2, gen bio 1&2, Orgo 1&2, gen chem 1&2. I think, mind you I don't know, that a year just means spring and fall terms; as in you take bio 1 in the spring then you take bio 2 in the fall while skipping summer. Idk.

As far as your degree goes a lot of people say that it doesn't matter so long as you 1. Get good grades, and 2. Make sure to have your pre-req's completed.

However, I was once told that getting a degree in nursing, passing the NCLEX, etc and THEN applying to med school would look odd. I don't know if this is true. Both are respectable professions, obviously, but they have different approaches to healthcare. That is- their scope of focus can synergise, but they also branch away from one another at times. Nursing seems to be more holistic while medicine, the MD approach, is allopathic. I adore the combination of the two, but you won't really get that if all you do is use the degree and complete the pre requisites.

This probably didn't help at all and is based almost purely on subjectivity.

I've always taken it to mean gen physics 1&2, gen bio 1&2, Orgo 1&2, gen chem 1&2. I think, mind you I don't know, that a year just means spring and fall terms; as in you take bio 1 in the spring then you take bio 2 in the fall while skipping summer. Idk.

As far as your degree goes a lot of people say that it doesn't matter so long as you 1. Get good grades, and 2. Make sure to have your pre-req's completed.

However, I was once told that getting a degree in nursing, passing the NCLEX, etc and THEN applying to med school would look odd. I don't know if this is true. Both are respectable professions, obviously, but they have different approaches to healthcare. That is- their scope of focus can synergise, but they also branch away from one another at times. Nursing seems to be more holistic while medicine, the MD approach, is allopathic. I adore the combination of the two, but you won't really get that if all you do is use the degree and complete the pre requisites.

This probably didn't help at all and is based almost purely on subjectivity.

Right. Nurses and physicians are trained quite differently and that will probably be brought up in your interview. Nurses are more responsible for continuity of care, whereas physicians play a more direct role in the patient's health. This is very, very general and you should look into this.

You'll probably have to articulate why you decided to switch career pathways.

Question for you RN's pursuing med school...

I am starting nursing school this January and getting my BSN and starting to feel like I may want to go to med school. I've really always wanted to, but was intimidated and didn't think I could do it. I do want to finish nursing school, though.

Should I start taking some of the prerequisites now before school starts and during summers? Is that allowed to spread classes out like that (do they expire years later when I'd be applying for medical school?)

Also, when students say "a year's worth of biology...a year's worth of chemistry...etc" are part of med-school prerequisites, do they mean an actual year, or amount of credits, or what? Very confused because I've done my homework looking at MD schools around the country but it seems like they require different courses? Any help would be appreciated!

So I took prereqs over the summer while in nursing school. I took a year off and didn't take any prereqs and did an internship in the emergency department. Once I completed that I went back to school to finish up. I have 3 years experience now in the ER, and it's beneficial. I wouldn't just graduate and then apply to medical school. I would utilize my degree and get some real experience. You only need Bio 1/2, Gen Chem 1/2, Physics 1/2 and Organic 1/2, then depending on which school you apply to, you'll either need biochemistry and calculus or statistics. Some recommend biochemistry, some require, as goes for calculus. You'll have to search each school for that. If there are any other questions about my transition, or anything else, PM me.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, I'm currently an RN applying to medical school this cycle. I graduated in 2015 and worked full time while being enrolled in premed courses. It took me three years to complete all the necessary pre-medical course for US medical schools. I switched to PRN and worked once a week while studying for MCAT. I would not take more than 1-2 premed courses per semester as a full time RN to prevent burnout. MCAT is a beast unlike any exam I have taken and it should never be underestimated. I know an RN who is about graduate as a DO, so I know it is a doable path!

@Medicello9 Cool story bro.

Note, I have a dislike for people who feel the need to qualify I am a pre-med with another qualifier e.g. I am a nurse with real experience and am not like other pre-meds because #nurses forever. There are so many, many, many cases where nurses feel obligated to throw it out there that they are the bees knees to the point where it's suffocating, but then they state that they have 0 interest in nursing. Pray, why attempt to build nursing solidarity around the point of leaving nursing? Am I the only one who doesn't understand this trending pattern from 2014?

Note, I have a dislike for people who feel the need to qualify I am a pre-med with another qualifier e.g. I am a nurse with real experience and am not like other pre-meds because #nurses forever. There are so many, many, many cases where nurses feel obligated to throw it out there that they are the bees knees to the point where it's suffocating, but then they state that they have 0 interest in nursing. Pray, why attempt to build nursing solidarity around the point of leaving nursing? Am I the only one who doesn't understand this trending pattern from 2014?
You’re reaching dude. Let him live and calm down.

Reactions: 5 users

Eh I didn’t get that vibe from him at all.

@Pina Colada

Are you an RN by any chance?

Hello, I'm currently an RN applying to medical school this cycle. I graduated in 2015 and worked full time while being enrolled in premed courses. It took me three years to complete all the necessary pre-medical course for US medical schools. I switched to PRN and worked once a week while studying for MCAT. I would not take more than 1-2 premed courses per semester as a full time RN to prevent burnout. MCAT is a beast unlike any exam I have taken and it should never be underestimated. I know an RN who is about graduate as a DO, so I know it is a doable path!
I know an RN about to graduate as DO too. Names david.