Any ROTC cadets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ObstetricsMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im starting college and Air Force ROTC this fall and I'm just curious how beneficial it is for a pre-med student. Does this look good on med school apps? will it give me a better shot at USUHS?
I understand if i dont get into a med school i'll get stuck doing something else but thats cool with me.
any info would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You could be stuck doing something else anyways, if whatever job/degree you have is in high demand. There's no guarantee that they will allow you to attend medical school even if you are accepted. Be careful.

after college, prior to med school

I did Army ROTC during my undergrad. & served four years active duty prior to applying to medical school.

ROTC requires an extremely disciplined person in order to do well both academically & militarily. ROTC consumes ENORMOUS amounts of time during the week and kills your weekend study plans, esp. during your 3rd/4th years b/c of all the Field Training Exercises.

If you are certain you want to do undergrad & immediately go to medical school, I recommend NOT doing ROTC. However, if you want great life experience & to do great things for God & Country prior to medical school, DO ROTC.

Good Luck........................................