Any significant difference between 3.9 and 4.0 sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ditritium monoxide

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year Chemistry major. I'm just gonna be blunt here. At this point in the semester, it's looking like I'm going to lose my 4.0 c/s GPA due to courseload and out-of-class commitments getting difficult, so my goal is to minimize the damage (am ORM at a decently ranked state school). But honestly, are there diminishing returns once one's c/s GPA is higher than 3.9 when applying to schools of all ranks (top, mid, and low tier)? At this point, shooting for a 3.9 would make everything much less stressful, but is keeping a 4.0 worth it?

Also, this is a serious question. Not one seeking sympathy or validation of any kind.

Members don't see this ad.

No. A 4.0 is just an exhausting task. If you can keep one great but a 3.9 won't harm in any way.

Members don't see this ad :)
About 0.1, but I was never that good at math.

Reactions: 18 users
What matters more is which class you're going to miss that A on. If it's an elective it won't matter as much as a pre-req like organic chemistry.

What matters more is which class you're going to miss that A on. If it's an elective it won't matter as much as a pre-req like organic chemistry.

Unfortunately, its the second semester of biology. I've gotten through the other prereqs like orgo, bio 1, and physics with As though.

IMO, just try not to show a big grade trend decrease before you graduate.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, its the second semester of biology. I've gotten through the other prereqs like orgo, bio 1, and physics with As though.
deff take some more advanced bios next semester to show a higher level of understanding. Microbiology is a good one, also Genetics.

There is absolutely no difference between a 3.9 and 4.0 GPA in the eyes of admissions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
3.9 is for chumps. 4.0 is for mega chumps.

I've seen a 43 but I can't recall ever seeing >43. I think I've seen a 521 but I'm not sure what "perfect" is.
My friend just got a 526. I'm glad he's applying next cycle :p

My friend just got a 526. I'm glad he's applying next cycle :p
:)
6668228.jpg

A 4.0 is like virginity. There usually comes an appropriate time to lose it.
I, too, lost my 4.0 in the backseat of a 1990 Honda Civic parked behind the Taco Bell off of 16th street with what could have either been a very small man or a very large child watching.

Wait **** I may be mixing things up

Reactions: 8 users
It's the difference in Harvard (3.9) and Wash U (4.0)

3.9 is better. 4.0 is boring. Seriously. If your GPA is preventing you from doing really cool interesting ECs, that'd be very unfortunate, because those are what will get you in. Not your GPA. THAT will get you an interview.

Reactions: 2 users
It could be argued that GPA's are a somewhat flawed metric. A 3.9 at Ole Miss is not even close to the same thing as even a 3.7 at an Ivy. Plus, some schools that aren't well known, say maybe a random small LA college, can deflate or inflate grades well beyond the norm and they may not have a known reputation for doing so compared to a school like Cornell. Of course GPA is of upmost importance to one's application, but there are so many variables that can go into it that the difference between a 3.9 and 4.0 is minuscule at best. Different professors, curriculums, and schools play a very large role in influencing someones GPA.

On the other hand, the AAMC is the only entity that gets to write the MCAT. Even though there is some variance between forms, they go to great lengths to ensure validity and reliability of their scores. It is somewhat the only "level playing field" on med school applications... You and I are taking the exact same test (more or less). The difference between getting a 28 and 30 is probably much more important to one's application than the difference between a 3.8 and 4.0, for example. Anything like 3.7+ shows that you understand what it takes to achieve good grades and are capable of handling tough academic course loads. But it definitely doesn't mean that you learned very much, which is probably why the MCAT is rated as the #1 most important part of your application per the AAMC survey of adcoms.

Again, take that as you will, but that's just my own completely novice opinion of the matter.

I actually had an interviewer this cycle say in my interview that I was lucky I had a 3.9 instead of a 4.0 because the admissions committee had used that in the past to throw out applications. Apparently it was a red flag indicating the student was too intense. Not sure how much he was joking but I'm a lot less annoyed by that lost .1 now!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
does that mean 3.8 is perceived better than 3.9? :D

One of the most SDN posts I've ever seen.

Reactions: 2 users
3rd year Chemistry major. I'm just gonna be blunt here. At this point in the semester, it's looking like I'm going to lose my 4.0 c/s GPA due to courseload and out-of-class commitments getting difficult, so my goal is to minimize the damage (am ORM at a decently ranked state school). But honestly, are there diminishing returns once one's c/s GPA is higher than 3.9 when applying to schools of all ranks (top, mid, and low tier)? At this point, shooting for a 3.9 would make everything much less stressful, but is keeping a 4.0 worth it?

Also, this is a serious question. Not one seeking sympathy or validation of any kind.

Legitimately I think that it can hurt you. If you have a 4.0 and Adcoms see that there really isn't much else to your application, they really have no reason to be interested (who cares if you do well in school, there are plenty of other people who do *well enough* in school and do amazing things outside of school, are an amazing person, etc etc..). Also, striving for perfection is a dangerous game. While it's great to be smart, many times in medicine you will have to make decisions on incomplete information, and if you get paralyzed by that uncertainty, you will be in big trouble.