Any Success with Textbooks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharkbyte

Take me to the top
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm retaking my exam in January. I've noticed when I do practice sections from TPR or GS that I'm not quite understanding some of the material even though I have read the prep books for TBR and TPR.

I'm thinking I'm going to just take some time to read the textbooks that I used in my general biology and general chemistry classes. Even though the chapters are going to be really detailed, I feel like it will give me a deeper understanding that can help me when I do practice sets.

Have any of you guys experienced success with using textbooks to study for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm retaking my exam in January. I've noticed when I do practice sections from TPR or GS that I'm not quite understanding some of the material even though I have read the prep books for TBR and TPR.

I'm thinking I'm going to just take some time to read the textbooks that I used in my general biology and general chemistry classes. Even though the chapters are going to be really detailed, I feel like it will give me a deeper understanding that can help me when I do practice sets.

Have any of you guys experienced success with using textbooks to study for the MCAT?

You're aiming to gain the knowledge passively; active learning comes from constantly asking yourself questions while you read. Also, you should already have read these textbooks thoroughly in pre-reqs.
Since you are taking it in Jan, keep doing primarily passages and a daily heavy dose of free-standing questions (from TPRH SW or EK1001 books); thoroughly question everything you get wrong or guess on. Use textbooks as supplement.
IMO, TBR is just as detailed (and conveniently MCAT-oriented) as any basic science textbook; redo TBR chapters where you need