Any successfully-matched MD/PhDs out there? any advice...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scutmaster

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all, i'm currently a third year who wants to apply to rad onc next yr, but am a bit worried/skeptical about my chances....cos i'm a mudphud, maybe other md/phd's (any other rad onc ppl!!) out there can shed some light on what it takes to get matched...

here's the lowdown: my grades third yr are not "honors" level, but have been a cut below, like A-/B+/high pass whatever your school equivalent is. my step 1 board scores from way back when (seriously, they were like from the stone age, disappointed something from way back can still count today!) is like national avg. btw, what IS the national average? is it like 200? or 220? anyway, my score was nothing to celebrate about...but again, i took some time off to do that phd, although nothing really related to cancer and oncology per se, but maybe i can stretch it out a bit and it can be cancer/oncology-related, and then of course, the several papers and presentations at national conferences along with it.

so just wondering what those of you who got in or were on the interview circuit, etc....should i even consider rad onc?

thanks a lot for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that the PhD helps alot in RadOnc. It seems to be that there is alot of interest in taking residents that are likely to stay in academics. Also, many rad onc programs have a period of time dedicated to research so that makes applicants with PhDs extra appealing.

I think that you should definatly apply if you are interested. I would just do all the other things that help your application - like away rotations and getting letters of recommendation from people well known in the field.

Good Luck!

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The PhD thing makes you so much more attractive than any other thing on your resume. It shows how dedicated and serious you are to research which is huge in this field, and it shows that you are pretty experienced and knowledgeable on how to do independent research and more importantly, know how to secure research grants. Cha-ching. As long as you're a nice and friendly person, I really think you have an excellent chance at matching at a very good program.

I've heard so much already from people who've interviewed how many Md/PhD's they met on the trail. Of course do your best with your grades and boards and securing letters and connections, but given that you've acquired this huge advantage, don't at all feel discouraged from applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only slightly related question:

What is the most common field that the MD/PhD candidates earned their PhD in? Immuno? Physics? Cancer bio?

I was curious as to what PhD types tended to get the most traction as being most relevant to RadOnc...

Originally posted by phd2b
Only slightly related question:

What is the most common field that the MD/PhD candidates earned their PhD in? Immuno? Physics? Cancer bio?

I was curious as to what PhD types tended to get the most traction as being most relevant to RadOnc...

Actually I think biomedical engineering is probably the best PhD field for rad onc.

Rad onc is a very tech heavy field. Most MD/PhD programs dont let you get a PhD in a field like physics; however BME grad programs have the most mathematically intensive curriculum of any biomedical PhD.

PhD research related to cancer is probably very highly represented also.