Any suggestions for genetics textbooks that emphasize problem sets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrbitalOverload

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

I was wondering if anyone who has formerly taken genetics might be able to suggest useful genetics textbooks or materials that emphasize problem sets in genetics. My professor claims that the tests will focus on problem solving, and suggested that we find textbooks with the best problem sets to prepare for the exams. Does anyone know of any good online or paper resources to address this?

Thanks!

Orbital.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Y'all,

I was wondering if anyone who has formerly taken genetics might be able to suggest useful genetics textbooks or materials that emphasize problem sets in genetics. My professor claims that the tests will focus on problem solving, and suggested that we find textbooks with the best problem sets to prepare for the exams. Does anyone know of any good online or paper resources to address this?

Thanks!

Orbital.
Wait... so your professor didn't even give you a book recommendation in the syllabus? @_@

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a horrible professor. Did you ask him directly what book(s) he recommends? Honestly if he's not willing to give you that, I would drop the class and find a different genetics prof and potentially report him to the department head. Professors aren't required to hold your hand, but they should give you book suggestions, especially since you have no idea what qualifies as the "best problem sets." He's being a lazy jerk and you're the one paying his salary.

Maybe go to his office hours and see if he could give you at least a list? Very weird. This is the book we used in my genetics class and the problems after each chapter were outstanding. They were challenging but also interesting. There is a separate solutions manual as well. The book is pretty expensive though. To save money, you could look through your library catalog and see if there are any genetics textbooks on reserve.

Genetics: From Genes to Genomes (Hartwell et al): http://www.amazon.com/Genetics-From...r=8-1&keywords=genetics+from+genes+to+genomes

Reactions: 1 user
^ One more vote for Genes to Genome by Hartwell. I thought it's really good at explaining the problems.
Honestly any genetics book you get, make sure to get the solution manual. Genetics is all about practice.