Any suggestions on where to apply this late in the cycle? 36 MCAT, 3.6GPA (w/ up trend)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hygienist38

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As the title says I'm looking for some schools to apply to. Basically, the highest ranked schools that I'd be considered a good chance for this late in the cycle.
  • Year: Graduated May 2013
  • State of Residence: Georgia
  • cGPA: 3.6*
  • sGPA: 3.5* (upward trend detailed at bottom)
  • MCAT: 36 (14 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS)
  • Research: None
  • Volunteering: 40 hrs @ Hospital
  • Shadowing: 60 hrs w/ Pulmonologist, 40 hrs surgery @ Tanzania
  • Non-clinical volunteering: 75hrs from frat philanthropy chair (Boys & Girls club, homeless shelter, etc), add 100hrs if you count national philanthropy chair
  • Extracurriculars: 3 Term Philanthropy Chair, 1 Term Academic Chair, 1 Yr long term National Philanthropy Chair
  • Employment: None
GPA has a significant upward trend. First two years by themselves are cGPA 3.3. Last two years by themselves are cGPA 3.9, sGPA 3.95.

Aside from the long shots I'm not going to mention, the only realistic possibilities I think I've applied to are Emory and MCG, and I'm thinking Emory is probably a long shot anyway this late and with no research. No research is hurting me, I'm hoping my leadership experience will make up for it a little. Any suggestions where I should apply this late? I know I'm supposed to apply to schools with a lower LizzyM score than mine, but I'm not sure exactly how much lower I'm supposed to go.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Now? Its almost November.

Most schools have already given out half or more of their interviews already.

To be brutally honest, your chances at "high ranked" schools (top 50) this late in the cycle with a 3.6 and no research are low.

If you really want to go to a top ranked research school instead of MCG, apply next cycle in June.

Do you explicitly need to apply this cycle? You would be much better off waiting a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please don't apply this cycle. You have a decently solid app with a good shot at MD if you wait another year. Applying this cycle would be hurting your future chances (by being a reapplicant) with only a very small chance of an acceptance this cycle.

Hey guys,

As the title says I'm looking for some schools to apply to. Basically, the highest ranked schools that I'd be considered a good chance for this late in the cycle.
  • Non-clinical volunteering: 75hrs from frat philanthropy chair (Boys & Girls club, homeless shelter, etc), add 100hrs if you count national philanthropy chair
  • Extracurriculars: 3 Term Philanthropy Chair, 1 Term Academic Chair, 1 Yr long term National Philanthropy Chair
GPA has a significant upward trend. First two years by themselves are cGPA 3.3. Last two years by themselves are cGPA 3.9, sGPA 3.95.

Aside from the long shots I'm not going to mention, the only realistic possibilities I think I've applied to are Emory and MCG, and I'm thinking Emory is probably a long shot anyway this late and with no research. No research is hurting me, I'm hoping my leadership experience will make up for it a little. Any suggestions where I should apply this late? I know I'm supposed to apply to schools with a lower LizzyM score than mine, but I'm not sure exactly how much lower I'm supposed to go.

Thanks guys!
Please beef up your active clinical experience before applying as forty hours is really sparse. And if you haven't shadowed a US doc, get that in also.

STRONGLY suggest waiting for next cycle!

Hey guys,

Thanks guys!

I think you would have a decent shot at low tier or mid tier MD schools.

Last edited:
Don't act stupid, I say act because clearly you're a sharp kid with that 36. Don't ruin all that hard work by not waiting 7 months or so to apply next cycle. I suggest rackingn up tons of volunteer hours (clinical/non clinical), rack up 100+ hours of shadowing, and find some arbitrary but interesting hobby to talk about on your app. With all off that, you'd have a shot at schools like Vandy even, whom really admire reinvention and weigh MCAT over GPA greatly.

WeRunThis

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with all of the posts so far. Definitely wait a year. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, it will be a significant uphill battle to get into a "top tier" school without research experience, being as that "top tier" commonly refers to schools ranked highest on USNWR's research list. So, naturally, research powerhouses attract students who are passionate about and have experiences in research. The problem is that you don't have too terribly much clinical experience either, so some more primary care/service oriented schools may take issue with that.

I think you need this next year to really improve your ECs anyway, so you'd really be doing the right thing by holding off until next cycle. I think with some more experiences and an early submission date, though, you'll be in good shape.