Any thoughts/advice on attending a foreign Vet School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

landis792

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Please bear with me, I acknowledge that I have asked a similar question before) I'm considering attending Massey University in New Zealand next year and competing for a position to get accepted into vet school as a foreign student. I'm an older non-traditional student who is just finishing a MS degree in Biology. I applied to Davis (my in-state school) for two application cycles, also once at AVC, Murdoch and Massey. I get it that I am uncompetitive, however, I have also gotten some pretty negative feedback about alternatives such as the Caribbean schools and Western U from some vets at an ER clinic I volunteer for, as well as, from several vets at my job. I accept that I may have placed too much weight on some opinions, but I am concerned about my ability to obtain a job after graduation. I welcome anyone's advice and I am open to contrary opinions. Thank you in advance for responding. My intention is to ask an honest question not to offend you if you have chosen to attend vet school in the Caribbean or at Western U.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a great deal of discussion re: Caribbean schools in this forum and I encourage you to read those threads.

The bottom line is, it will not affect your chance at getting a job. There are certainly people out there that look down on those who graduate from Caribbean schools but they are dwindling as the schools have become accredited and graduates have proven to be just as good as graduates from other US schools.

(Please bear with me, I acknowledge that I have asked a similar question before) I'm considering attending Massey University in New Zealand next year and competing for a position to get accepted into vet school as a foreign student. I'm an older non-traditional student who is just finishing a MS degree in Biology. I applied to Davis (my in-state school) for two application cycles, also once at AVC, Murdoch and Massey. I get it that I am uncompetitive, however, I have also gotten some pretty negative feedback about alternatives such as the Caribbean schools and Western U from some vets at an ER clinic I volunteer for, as well as, from several vets at my job. I accept that I may have placed too much weight on some opinions, but I am concerned about my ability to obtain a job after graduation. I welcome anyone's advice and I am open to contrary opinions. Thank you in advance for responding. My intention is to ask an honest question not to offend you if you have chosen to attend vet school in the Caribbean or at Western U.

Starting a thread with essentially the same question every few months isn't very helpful as the majority of people on here are here quite frequently and long term, so those that see this thread likely saw the last few as well.
If you're looking for advice on your application or what schools to apply to you might want to try the "What are my chances" thread and post the specifics of your application so people can give you more than just vague feedback. If you're looking for information just on different schools, there should be plenty available to you through the search function.

The generally consensus however is that a DVM = DVM regardless of where it came from.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been asked on occasion why I chose to go to school in Canada rather than the States. I just explain that I didn't want to wait through another year of applications, and that's enough for most people. The stigma associated with SGU and Ross was largely because they were unaccredited, not because they were foreign. Now that both schools are accredited that sentiment is dissipating.

I'm not sure why you think the answer to this question is going to change from month to month. It seems like you're looking for someone to tell you that all those schools are terrible. If you're not comfortable going to a foreign school, then don't go. You don't need a bunch of internet strangers to validate your decision for you.

Reactions: 1 users
I have been asked on occasion why I chose to go to school in Canada rather than the States. I just explain that I didn't want to wait through another year of applications, and that's enough for most people. The stigma associated with SGU and Ross was largely because they were unaccredited, not because they were foreign. Now that both schools are accredited that sentiment is dissipating.

I'm not sure why you think the answer to this question is going to change from month to month. It seems like you're looking for someone to tell you that all those schools are terrible. If you're not comfortable going to a foreign school, then don't go. You don't need a bunch of internet strangers to validate your decision for you.

Sorry, but I was not looking for validation. I was simply looking for other opinions. Actually, it was not the stigma of the accreditation but the quality of the education and experiences from former graduates that concerned me.

Sorry, but I was not looking for validation. I was simply looking for other opinions. Actually, it was not the stigma of the accreditation but the quality of the education and experiences from former graduates that concerned me.

They are accredited now, which means the education they provide is on par with every other accredited veterinary school.

After having been to some overpriced (I mean it), uncaring, rude vets in nyc, I finally found the one - a practice perfect in every way possible with two great vets. I found out both of the vets graduated from Ross. They have good review from every single person that has been to them. She found the wrong dosage that was given to us by another vet, corrected it and healed my dog.

Of course this is one anecdotal story. But moral of story: I think vet school is what you make of it. It depends on you to learn whatever is your weakness and strengthen it. It's on you to keep up to date with veterinary progresses and trends. It's on you to care for your patient.

In my opinion, any accredited school with give you the foundation and DVM degree that you need to become a good vet. I would apply and attend to any of these schools if I could, especially if I have gone through a cycle already.

I'm an undergrad at Colorado State and the small animal ER I work at consistently hires interns from Ross, and they're more than qualified to work there. The Ross grads I've worked with are definitely well prepared, and clearly are at the same level as the CSU grads if they're competing with and beating out other applicants for our intern spots. We also have externs come in from several international schools - and they're very competent as well.

I'm attending Ross in the fall and am SOOO very excited to begin my island adventure! :D:cool: I chose Ross over applying to/potentially attending a newer school in the US because I know it's an established program (although relatively recently accredited) and the grads that I've met from there have been very well prepared.

Everyone else here has it right - it doesn't matter where you go, a DVM is a DVM, and there are good and bad vets from EVERY school. Go where you get in and get on with being a DVM!:)

I personally chose to attend Ross, and it was the only school I applied to for this application cycle, because I believe that the way the courses are presented and the support I've heard about from classmates and even professors will help me learn and retain the information best. Besides that I consider the way the Ross community (8-10 semester students) have been open, supportive, and friendly to me since they found out I was interested in Ross (I hadn't even applied) speak highly of the program, and the graduates that I have met and worked with are highly competent not only in their knowledge base but in what it takes to be a working veterinarian dealing with clients and stress.

But it sounds like to me that you have 1 foreign vet school in mind, so I'm confused about why you would want opinions on them in general. I would look for blogs and student stories from that school if you can't find a wide community on SDN or trying to contact someone from the school and if they can put you in touch with some current students from the US so you can get a better knowledge base for your decision.

A DVM is a DVM and as long as you complete any and all requirements (if there are any extra for the school of your choice) so you can practice in the states it all depends on you to make the most out of the program. But knowledge outside of the program, location, culture shock, distractions that students from your school of choice can provide you is much more helpful to you than just a basic general question about any of the numerous foreign schools out there.

At Penn's graduation, the dean of the vet school mentioned that in Lebanon, you can get your veterinary degree in SIX weeks. Hmmm.

Maybe not ALL foreign veterinary graduates are afforded the same respect.

I applied to massey awhile ago because I was told I was not competitive enough here (bad advice).

Applying to massey was probably one of the more frustrating experiences. Unlike schools here and probably other foreign schools, they don't answer or respond to email ever. This could have changed.

Also I'm sure they get a lot of email from foreigners wanting to study there and nothing happens.

Honestly stop listening to what others have to say, do what's best for you. If you can get into ross or sgu then go there.

Also didn't you start a thread about massey a few months ago?

Did you end up applying to murdoch? Curious because I'm thinking of doing so and had some questions.