Any thoughts on choosing between med school or vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait, really? Wow. :laugh:
yup. Usually in a not very nice way. Something something "why don't the vets go to the vet forum instead of raining on our parade"

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't even imagine. It's scary enough when you're full body abled in this profession, with a fair number of hazardous working conditions, knowing you are always one accident away from a career ending injury... Sucks.
Very off-topic but do you (or any of the other vets commenting here) have disability insurance?

Yes. Definitely. I highly recommend it. What would you do if you got into a car accident 1-2 years out of school?
Okay that's what I assumed but the post above made me wonder if maybe it wasn't as common as I had thought. Thanks for responding! :)

Okay that's what I assumed but the post above made me wonder if maybe it wasn't as common as I had thought. Thanks for responding! :)
I have disability insurance. However, disability insurance requires a few things depending on the policy. And the coverage can be spotty. Unlike health insurance, they can decline pre-existing conditions. Even with it, they usually don't give full pay. So you're stuck with smaller payments to loans.

Very off-topic but do you (or any of the other vets commenting here) have disability insurance?
Yes, and it is hellza expensive. I have one through my employer, but I still pay out of pocket over $100/month because cost of premium goes up the older you are when you sign up, and does not cover preexisting conditions... So if I leave my current job let's say in 7 years, I would be so screwed if my next job didn't offer disability insurance.

I made sure to have a good policy that has own occupation/job clause (that's the expensive part), meaning a hand injury that would not allow me to do surgery/dentistry or any other major part of my job description will allow the policy to kick in. You have to be careful because unless you have a specific rider for this, they won't pay if you are still able to get a cubicle job or work as a Walmart greeter. My policy is kinda cool in that it's specific to my job and not just the occupation, so I could even continue to work as a veterinarian (become an industry rep, etc...) and still have it pay out, given that my disability doesn't allow me to do my current job. I also have riders that adjusts how much they pay out monthly based on inflation/cost of living increases. Cause if I get disabled today and get paid let's say $40-50k per year from my policy... in 30 years, that money won't be worth nearly as much.

I need to talk to my insurance people once I get my tax forms this year to see how they're going to calculate my income now that I'm on a production-salary system. My work one pays 60% of my salary only (I think that's likely what my private carrier might do too). Well... 20% of my income comes from my production bonus. So effectively, that means I'll get only 60% of 80% of my current income... So 48% of my current income if I get disabled. That blows. Waaay better than nothing, but that's a huge pay cut. I'll just have to hope that whatever disability I have will allow me to get another job because I'll need it.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, and it is hellza expensive. I have one through my employer, but I still pay out of pocket over $100/month because cost of premium goes up the older you are when you sign up, and does not cover preexisting conditions... So if I leave my current job let's say in 7 years, I would be so screwed if my next job didn't offer disability insurance.

I made sure to have a good policy that has own occupation/job clause (that's the expensive part), meaning a hand injury that would not allow me to do surgery/dentistry or any other major part of my job description will allow the policy to kick in. You have to be careful because unless you have a specific rider for this, they won't pay if you are still able to get a cubicle job or work as a Walmart greeter. My policy is kinda cool in that it's specific to my job and not just the occupation, so I could even continue to work as a veterinarian (become an industry rep, etc...) and still have it pay out, given that my disability doesn't allow me to do my current job. I also have riders that adjusts how much they pay out monthly based on inflation/cost of living increases. Cause if I get disabled today and get paid let's say $40-50k per year from my policy... in 30 years, that money won't be worth nearly as much.

I need to talk to my insurance people once I get my tax forms this year to see how they're going to calculate my income now that I'm on a production-salary system. My work one pays 60% of my salary only (I think that's likely what my private carrier might do too). Well... 20% of my income comes from my production bonus. So effectively, that means I'll get only 60% of 80% of my current income... So 48% of my current income if I get disabled. That blows. Waaay better than nothing, but that's a huge pay cut. I'll just have to hope that whatever disability I have will allow me to get another job because I'll need it.
Yeah, make sure the riders are there. Also, you may be able to get a cheaper option if you allow more time to lapse before payment starts (14 days v. 7 days, etc.). Depends on what you can afford.

Reactions: 1 user
I was 34 years old, still driving an eleven year old Honda Civic, had a 1 year old and couldn't pay for diapers never mind childcare).
Still driving an 11 year old Honda with almost 200k miles. Runs like a charm. Childcare on the other hand is outrageous. That's one of the big reasons in this economy we are seeing so many woman leave the work force. It costs more to put a kid in daycare than what some women can make. I have also heard that the lower incomes of vet med is one reason (not the only reason, don't freak out people) that the field flipped from male/female. Men felt like they couldn't support a family on a vet med salary.

...I later figured out it took me over 20 years to catch up financially to my cousin (he was an engineer and started with a good income the day after he graduated with his bachelors). Each of you that is thinking on taking on this amount of debt needs to really think about this before you go forward.
I am one of many engineers who have left the field for something else. That paycheck is nice, but the field isn't rewarding. I do worry about the lower income (vet med is a pay cut from engineering) and the long hours preventing me from being able to value time with friends, family, etc. There needs to be a work/life balance. Crippling debt makes that near impossible. I worry about all the students on this forum choosing OOS schools over IS and not looking at the finances. It seems like many vets like their jobs, just not their debt...which is totally understandable. Is there a forum out there discussing ways to potentially fix the debt/income ratio for the field?

Human medicine is highly regulated and there are issues that you have to deal with in human medicine that do not exist (or play less of a role) in vet med. Insurance issues, malpractice, hospital regulations all often serve to decrease physician satisfaction.
Yes...after having some health issues where I had to deal with the human medical system I wanted no part of it. I liked the idea of being able to help people, but the system is so broken. My family continues to ask me if I'd rather do PA school....better pay, better hours, less school. Same broken system. I wanted the potential for more freedom and more variety. I have an empathy for animals that I lack for most humans. I'm also older, so not having to do 4 more years of residency was a factor for me too. I'm working a job now and putting away huge amounts of my salary toward retirement to make up for the time I won't be contributing while I'm in school. I want to be a vet. End of sentence. I don't want to be a vet with crippling debt eating ramen every night. The reality will likely be something in between, but anything I can do to push it more toward the former rather than the latter, I'm going to do.

Is there a forum out there discussing ways to potentially fix the debt/income ratio for the field?

VIN is trying to keep it in the forefront. Just have to slap the AVMA around a bit and make sure they know we expect them to address it, and now. Even just acknowledge it, which was hard to get them to do.

Reactions: 1 users
VIN is trying to keep it in the forefront. Just have to slap the AVMA around a bit and make sure they know we expect them to address it, and now. Even just acknowledge it, which was hard to get them to do.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but it seems (from the outside looking in) that the public doesn't realize:
1. How expensive it is to become a vet (many are shocked to hear its 4 years of school and similar costs to med school)
2. How little vets get paid relative to their human counterparts (so many think vets get paid 6 figures...)
3. How expensive it is to do the tests, procedures, etc. and that they are being charged only a fraction of what it costs in human med.

Maybe I'll start one in the vet forum and ask how they'd fix it if they had the chance? It's not going to change over night...educating the public is a monster task. We gotta start somewhere so we can create a society willing to shell out enough cash for the services to pay for the service we provide AND pay for us to put food on the table.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but it seems (from the outside looking in) that the public doesn't realize:
1. How expensive it is to become a vet (many are shocked to hear its 4 years of school and similar costs to med school)
2. How little vets get paid relative to their human counterparts (so many think vets get paid 6 figures...)
3. How expensive it is to do the tests, procedures, etc. and that they are being charged only a fraction of what it costs in human med.

Maybe I'll start one in the vet forum and ask how they'd fix it if they had the chance? It's not going to change over night...educating the public is a monster task. We gotta start somewhere so we can create a society willing to shell out enough cash for the services to pay for the service we provide AND pay for us to put food on the table.
We've tried educating the public. The public that doesn't already get it, probably isn't going to. Some people just literally don't have the money for vet care - you can't get blood from a stone. Many people just perceive vet care as a need not a want. They can afford it, they just don't want to. Lots of clients come in talking on the latest cell phone and driving a nice car, but scream about their $500 vet bill. They could afford it, but they don't want to. They find money for things they want but not for obligations.

The change needs to come from within the industry, and stopping schools from adding seats and accrediting new schools would go a long way towards capping the number of vets working and subsequently increasing salaries.

We've tried educating the public. The public that doesn't already get it, probably isn't going to. Some people just literally don't have the money for vet care - you can't get blood from a stone. Many people just perceive vet care as a need not a want. They can afford it, they just don't want to. Lots of clients come in talking on the latest cell phone and driving a nice car, but scream about their $500 vet bill. They could afford it, but they don't want to. They find money for things they want but not for obligations.

The change needs to come from within the industry, and stopping schools from adding seats and accrediting new schools would go a long way towards capping the number of vets working and subsequently increasing salaries.

Yup, when you have people complaining that getting health care for themselves isn't worth it even if it only costs $100 or less, you aren't convincing these people to spend $ on veterinary care for their pets.

Recently had a friend bitch on FB that she had to go to the doctor for a sinus infection and how that is ridiculous because it is almost Christmas and she wants to buy presents. Apparently presents and material objects>>>>>>>being healthy and feeling well.

There has to be some internal regulation if we want to make things work for the veterinary industry.

It doesn't matter how much you educate the public. It's human nature to be happy about money you wanted to spend, but bitter and angry about money you had to spend even though you didn't want to.

A campaign to make it chic and trendy, and some sort of awesome social status symbol to spend a lot of money on vet care might help. Just like it's cool to spend money on a groomer and random boutique dog food of questionable quality.

But aside from that, it's just human nature. We all resent the plumber, electrician, mechanic, and medical bills.

Recently had a friend bitch on FB that she had to go to the doctor for a sinus infection and how that is ridiculous because it is almost Christmas and she wants to buy presents. Apparently presents and material objects>>>>>>>being healthy and feeling well.

Same thing happened to me with a client. Like it was my fault that her pet was sick around the holidays and my fault it needed a lot of treatment/work up. I mean, I understand the people who wanted to delay a couple of vaccines for a month, but this? Ugh.