Any Unfriendly Fellow Interviewee Stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T3ckFr3s

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just seeing if there are any stories out there. On my first interview day, I met a really good group of people except for this one guy. While everyone was introducing themselves to each other and smiling this dude just had a really intense look on his face. I approached him and held out my hand and introduced myself, and he literally, just looked at me and walked away. Totally just left me hanging haha

Members don't see this ad.

Just seeing if there are any stories out there. On my first interview day, I met a really good group of people except for this one guy. While everyone was introducing themselves to each other and smiling this dude just had a really intense look on his face. I approached him and held out my hand and introduced myself, and he literally, just looked at me and walked away. Totally just left me hanging haha

At one interview, I was making casual conversation with another interviewee, and I said, "so where else have you interviewed?" He got kind of mad and was super shady about it. I was like ok....

:eyebrow:

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? You have no idea why he did that?

No, I don't...

It's a fairly common topic that interviewees discuss amongst each other. I have been asked this many times and never took the slightest bit of offense to it. It's just a way to make conversation.

Sigh. Imagine you're at your first and only interview, and someone who's already been on more than a handful asks you where else you've interviewed. How would you expect someone in that situation to react?

Maybe this was a little bit different because this guy actually goes to my school (I know him through acquaintances) and I know for a fact he has been on many interviews. I think it was more that he's super gunner and wants to be secretive about it for some reason.

No, I don't...

It's a fairly common topic that interviewees discuss amongst each other. I have been asked this many times and never took the slightest bit of offense to it. It's just a way to make conversation.

Thats like the one thing I would NEVER ask or bring up. What if this is the only interview the applicant got and for you its your 10th. What if its the other way around. I mean, it can be an uncomfortable topic and I think its pretty easy to avoid.

QuinnTheEskimo: Hey!
OtherApplicant: Hey! blah blabh bah I'm a biochemistry major and senior from a college in the northeast
QuinnTheEskimo: blah blah blah...me too, but I majored in biomedical engineering!
OtherApplicant: Oh cool!
QuinnTheEskimo: So how many interviews have you had?
OtherApplicant: This is my first and only one.
QuinnTheEskimo: ...
QuinnTheEskimo: thats not a lot.
OtherApplicant: ...

I personally prefer to make some kind of lighter small talk.

Maybe this was a little bit different because this guy actually goes to my school (I know him through acquaintances) and I know for a fact he has been on many interviews. I think it was more that he's super gunner and wants to be secretive about it for some reason.

If you know he's actually been to several then it's obviously a different story. Still, it seems more likely from that kind of response that he isn't exactly happy about where he has or hasn't interviewed and/or what the outcomes have been thus far.

I remember most people I interviewed with being friendly. I'm actually close friends with someone I interviewed with at another school (we both ended up in the same place and remembered our conversation from the interview). There were a few people that rubbed me the wrong way though. I actually had more of a problem with faculty interviewers than with fellow interviewees, although I think I was kind of unlucky in that regard.

Aside from the situation noted above, I've noticed that there is a direct positive correlation between school rank and interviewee annoyingness/toolishness/competitiveness

Reactions: 4 users
At one interview, I was making casual conversation with another interviewee, and I said, "so where else have you interviewed?" He got kind of mad and was super shady about it. I was like ok....

:eyebrow:

I would be upset if someone asked me this too. I keep things to myself for different reasons. I don't like to talk about things until I know I'm in for sure I think it's bad luck. It's similar to asking someone how much money he makes. Some people will tell you and not care but others like to keep it personal.

Maybe he felt you had negative energy or the wrong reason for asking. You already admitted that you think he is a supper gunner and wants to be secretive about it for some reason. Maybe the reason is that he just doesn't like you and doesn't want to give you more info so you can wish bad things on him? You seem a little weird.

I would be upset if someone asked me this too. I keep things to myself for different reasons. I don't like to talk about things until I know I'm in for sure I think it's bad luck. It's similar to asking someone how much money he makes. Some people will tell you and not care but others like to keep it personal.

Maybe he felt you had negative energy or the wrong reason for asking. You already admitted that you think he is a supper gunner and wants to be secretive about it for some reason. Maybe the reason is that he just doesn't like you and doesn't want to give you more info so you can wish bad things on him? You seem a little weird.

No, that's not it at all. I barely know the guy, but I know he has had a lot of interviews because I've heard it through the grapevine. Looking back, I probably felt comfortable asking him because 1) I know for a fact he has gone on many interviews, and 2) he is a much more competitive applicant than me, so it's not like I'm lording my interviews over him, I am sure he has interviews at top 10 schools and such. I wasn't expecting such a negative reaction at all.

You seem a little weird for engaging in magical thinking about medical school admissions...talking about it is not going to change the outcome.

Reactions: 2 users
There was one interview where someone mocked me for where I went to college because he said only Ivy grads were worthy of interviews at the top20s. :eek: I started to distance myself from him after he said that...

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was asked the interview question...and hated it

Me: Undergrad?
Other: Berkeley. You?
Me: Statey.
Other: What other schools have you interviewed at?
Me: Well, this is actually my first one. How about you?
Other: Oh...uh...this is my 6th interview
Me: Oh wow....blah blah blah
My head: I suck. I suck. I suck.

But I understand OP wasn't being a jerk and gunnerz b gunnin'

Reactions: 3 users
No, that's not it at all. I barely know the guy, but I know he has had a lot of interviews because I've heard it through the grapevine. Looking back, I probably felt comfortable asking him because 1) I know for a fact he has gone on many interviews, and 2) he is a much more competitive applicant than me, so it's not like I'm lording my interviews over him, I am sure he has interviews at top 10 schools and such. I wasn't expecting such a negative reaction at all.

You seem a little weird for engaging in magical thinking about medical school admissions...talking about it is not going to change the outcome.

Ok I'm a little weird but my weird habits stay in my head. You're a little weird but you make others feel uncomfortable with your weirdness. Asking him how many interviews he has isn't going to change your outcome either. And I was correct, you didn't ask him because you actually care about him and want him to succeed. You asked him for your own selfish reasons so you could feel better about your app or whatever. It's none of your business how many interviews a friend of an acquaintance received

edit: I do positive thinking and others pray. I really don't care what you think about my methods for keeping myself motivated

At a couple of my interviews I've gotten really bad vibes from MD/PhD candidates. A few in particular wouldn't stop mentioning their undergrad institution (i.e. "when I was at Harvard/Yale/Princeton/..."), and made somewhat snide remarks about me going to a small state school that's unknown to people not from the area. I think a lot of it might be nerves, and thinking that their job is to outperform the other applicants at all times.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok I'm a little weird but my weird habits stay in my head. You're a little weird but you make others feel uncomfortable with your weirdness. Asking him how many interviews he has isn't going to change your outcome either. And I was correct, you didn't ask him because you actually care about him and want him to succeed. You asked him for your own selfish reasons so you could feel better about your app or whatever. It's none of your business how many interviews a friend of an acquaintance received

edit: I do positive thinking and others pray. I really don't care what you think about my methods for keeping myself motivated

Uh...where are you getting all this from? I asked him simply in the interest of making conversation. I didn't put much thought into it and I don't actually care at all. I was simply trying to find some common ground to talk about.

Small talk topics:

1. The Weather
2. The Traffic
3. The headline from the days paper
4. The headline from whatever news you heard of yesterday if you don't read the morning paper
5. The School's athletics
6. Where are you from?
7. Black Labradors
8. Yellow Labradors
9. Chocolate Labradors

Reactions: 10 users
There was one interview where someone mocked me for where I went to college because he said only Ivy grads were worthy of interviews at the top20s. :eek: I started to distance myself from him after he said that...

Woah.

Reactions: 1 user
Thats like the one thing I would NEVER ask or bring up. What if this is the only interview the applicant got and for you its your 10th. What if its the other way around. I mean, it can be an uncomfortable topic and I think its pretty easy to avoid.

OtherApplicant: Hey! blah blabh bah I'm a biochemistry major and senior from a college in the northeast
QuinnTheEskimo: blah blah blah...me too, but I majored in biomedical engineering!

Whatever, if this kind of talk bothers you guys so much, you need to be thicker skinned. People don't necessarily mean anything malicious by it, it's just a way to make conversation since we are all in the same boat.

At one of my interviews, a candidate flat out asked me, "So did you get invited to interview at _____ school? I had mine there last week and it was great!"

Me: No.

I didn't go home and cry about how he made me feel uncomfortable, however.

Small talk topics:

1. The Weather
2. The Traffic
3. The headline from the days paper
4. The headline from whatever news you heard of yesterday if you don't read the morning paper
5. The School's athletics
6. Where are you from?
7. Cats
8. Cats
9. More cats

ftfy

Reactions: 7 users
Whatever, if this kind of talk bothers you guys so much, you need to be thicker skinned. People don't necessarily mean anything malicious by it, it's just a way to make conversation since we are all in the same boat.

At one of my interviews, a candidate flat out asked me, "So did you get invited to interview at _____ school? I had mine there last week and it was great!"

Me: No.

I didn't go home and cry about how he made me feel uncomfortable, however.
When literally every other person is telling you you're wrong, maybe it's time to step back and reevaluate.

Go back 2 lerking bro

Reactions: 5 users
I normally don't hit on the subject of interviews unless I'm talking at length about schools that we are applying to, and it's a natural follow-up question. It seems rather forward to bring it up from the get go.

This thread sucks because you two keep bickering.

Reactions: 11 users
"Other places you've interviewed" was a topic at every single interview I had, whether people were comparing past interviews they had at the same place or offering advice about upcoming interviews. This may be because I interviewed pretty much only in my state (and interviewees were talking about other schools in the state) or a nearby out-of-state big city (and interviewees were talking about other schools in that city). It seemed like just another topic to kill time talking about.

Never had any really bad people, but some were just weird in that they were surprisingly un-outgoing. Like looking at the floor when talking to you or sitting by themselves while everyone else was talking together.

My experience with other interviewees has generally been positive, just one bad experience. At my only top 20 interview, I was having a conversation with the guy sitting next to me, and I mentioned that I was a reapplicant... he said something like "Well it's nice that [school] allows reapplicants to interview". I felt like he was being patronizing, although I'm not necessarily sure if he intended it to sound that way.

Aside from the situation noted above, I've noticed that there is a direct positive correlation between school rank and interviewee annoyingness/toolishness/competitiveness

lolwut. Completely false.

I was at an interview lately.....

Guy #1 (to a room of 16): so.....where has everyone been accepted so far?
Awesome girl #1: yeah, you're not likely to get a lot of answers to that kind of question
(Silence for a few seconds)
Awesome guy #2 (to awesome girl): so how cold was it in (city she's from)

(whole room abandons silence and talks weather)

Reactions: 12 users
my story:

I accidentally gave a guy the wrong directions to the bathroom and apologies weren't enough. He thought I was actively trying to sabotage him, got really aggressive, almost physical not just on that one occasion but several times for the rest of the day.

Reactions: 15 users
The worst I've experience was at an unranked state school.

Interviewee to the group of 10: "Has anyone interviewed at Harvard? Got any tips? How was the school"

Group: *awkward silence* "Uh no???"

Interviewee: "Oh I was just curious because I have an interview there next week."

Reactions: 6 users
my story:

I accidentally gave a guy the wrong directions to the bathroom and apologies weren't enough. He thought I was actively trying to sabotage him, got really aggressive, almost physical not just on that one occasion but several times for the rest of the day.
That's crazy, you have to elaborate on the altercations

The worst I've experience was at an unranked state school.

Interviewee to the group of 10: "Has anyone interviewed at Harvard? Got any tips? How was the school"

Group: *awkward silence* "Uh no???"

Interviewee: "Oh I was just curious because I have an interview there next week."

That would have been a perfect CSB moment there.

When I was on the interview trail we were pretty open about it. We were all sharing tips for the places we'd been to, offering ideas for where to stay and eat in the area, etc. Then again, I'm super laid back. I'd give my fellow interviewees tips on the guy who just finished interviewing me and tell them what questions I was asked so they could be better prepared.

There would be one gunner at every interview though. That awkward guy in the nice suit that wasn't great at small talk but when he did open his mouth it was to talk a big game. Those guys freaked me out.

at my state school interview, when we were going around saying where we were all from, one guy stated he went to "Columbia University in the City of New York." killed me.

please tell me this didn't happen at my school...

"Other places you've interviewed" was a topic at every single interview I had, whether people were comparing past interviews they had at the same place or offering advice about upcoming interviews. This may be because I interviewed pretty much only in my state (and interviewees were talking about other schools in the state) or a nearby out-of-state big city (and interviewees were talking about other schools in that city). It seemed like just another topic to kill time talking about.

I agree that this is an incredibly common topic... I've been asked at literally all of my interviews and never found it odd or inappropriate.

at my state school interview, when we were going around saying where we were all from, one guy stated he went to "Columbia University in the City of New York." killed me.

lulz, because there is some other Columbia University that warrants this distinction?

For residency applications - I will be graduating from Cornell University's Weill Cornell Medical College at New York Presbyterian Hospital in New York, NY, or CUWCMC@NyPHiNYNY, for short.

Reactions: 8 users
lulz, because there is some other Columbia University that warrants this distinction?

For residency applications - I will be graduating from Cornell University's Weill Cornell Medical College at New York Presbyterian Hospital in New York, NY, or CUWCMC@NyPHiNYNY, for short.
he was a class A d-bag in every way

(Small group of 3)
Me: Yeah! I love Hmong food!
Student: I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to miss the most about moving to a school in the Midwest haha
Student2: ...
Me: have you all ever tried pho? It's a Vietnamese soup.
Student2: -under breath- Well, I know when I'm not welcome here! -walks away-

If we were to throw appearances into this, our group was me + asian girl and s2 was blonde/blue eyed -_-

At one of my interviews, an applicant went around and asked everyone where they went to school. When I gave my answer (not a particularly prestigious school, but fairly well known), he asked "is that a community college?" He then let us all know that we had the great pleasure of interviewing with a current senior at THE University of Pennsylvania.

:asshat:

Reactions: 5 users
(Small group of 3)
Me: Yeah! I love Hmong food!
Student: I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to miss the most about moving to a school in the Midwest haha
Student2: ...
Me: have you all ever tried pho? It's a Vietnamese soup.
Student2: -under breath- Well, I know when I'm not welcome here! -walks away-

If we were to throw appearances into this, our group was me + asian girl and s2 was blonde/blue eyed -_-

This is silly of her, there are always ways to get involved in a conversation even if you're not really familiar with the topic. Anyway, I am blond/blue eyed and my reaction would have been: :heckyeah::love: I eat pho like once a week...

Haha, I don't know if it was in the Midwest, but sometimes if you just say "Columbia" around here when talking about schools, people think of Columbia College in Chicago

At one of my interviews, an applicant went around and asked everyone where they went to school. When I gave my answer (not a particularly prestigious school, but fairly well known), he asked "is that a community college?" He then let us all know that we had the great pleasure of interviewing with a current senior at THE University of Pennsylvania.

:asshat:

As far as I am concerned, attending an Ivy league university is a wonderful privilege - and as such, should underscore someons humility - not inflate their ego. I realize that I am definitely in the minority regarding this viewpoint, but as an Ivy alumnus thats how I conduct myself - regard yourself as a representation of your university, and don't bring shame to the name.

As far as I am concerned, attending an Ivy league university is a wonderful privilege - and as such, should underscore someons humility - not inflate their ego. I realize that I am definitely in the minority regarding this viewpoint, but as an Ivy alumnus thats how I conduct myself - regard yourself as a representation of your university, and don't bring shame to the name.

I was just about to say...does this only happen in interview groups where said dingus is the only Ivy Leaguer around? And if so, could y'all tag them somehow for easy identification later? Someone trying to pull this bull**** around most of the Ivy (+ equivalent) graduates I know would be immediately cut down to size...

Yeah, most of the ivy leaguers I've met have been great. I suppose the interviews are good for weeding out people like that.

crazy-laughter.jpg

Oh man, we had this guy at my first interview... He wasn't a jerk by any means, but here's an awkward story for you... He was the first person to be asked "Tell us something interesting about yourself" in front of the group. Guy went on for a solid FIVE MINUTES about some dry research while the person who asked the question and the whole class just stared at him blankly like wtf, dude, this isn't the interview man. The staff member was like, "Ooookay... How about you Mr. Second Interviewee, what's something interesting about yourself?" Second guy was like, "I play the flute!"

And then it dawned on first guy what a horrible thing he'd done.

Reactions: 13 users