MD & DO Any way I get in with a low MCAT but all these other things?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doccp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Any help would be great.
I took the new mcat in April and would say that my studying wasn't as intense as it is for the retake.

Bio 124
Cars 123
Chen/phys 124
Soc/psych 124
Total 495

Took it in April while working full time. Signed up for July 17th test date.

8000 clinical hours in cardiac OR
5000 shadowing hours
3000 volunteer hours. Community and hospital combined
Great LORs from doctors and teachers

3.9 masters degree GPA for a biomedical sciences masters as a cardiovascular perfusionist
3.0 science UGPA. No excuses. Just didn't apply myself because I was an idiot.

Non-trad student living in PR.

I am retaking it and I really don't care where I get it as long as it is a med school in the states or PR. MD or DO. Clearly I need to retake but what do I need to even be considered??? Any help would be appreciated.

**i posted before without the scores. Just wanted to get your opinions now that my poor grades are in.

Members don't see this ad.

Well let's see how this new MCAT attempt goes. A 35th percentile won't cut it anywhere or come close to. You're realistically going to aim for 60th percentile at least on this new attempt to start the discussion of getting into DO programs. Statistically that is has been shown it's unlikely to make such a jump. But if in fact you do, repeat all classes you got C's or lower in. Do this over a year combined with a number of upper level science classes. Do well in them and ace the re-takes and get your GPA up to around 3.2

Doing these two things should get you looks at DO programs. But there's alot to do before you can start thinking about DO's, mainly really doing much much better on this MCAT this weekend.

I don't know much about the Puerto Rico system for MD's and what the standards are for their in land residents. ADCOM input will help with that.

Thanks @GrapesofRath

I did take upper class courses. I'm not sure what my amcas and aacomas gpas are but I did retake UG courses and my masters was all upper tier classes biomedical sciences classes both with all A's

I took 2 of the practice TPR exams and am averaging around a 505-508.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @GrapesofRath

I did take upper class courses. I'm not sure what my amcas and aacomas gpas are but I did retake UG courses and my masters was all upper tier classes biomedical sciences classes both with all A's

I took 2 of the practice TPR exams and am averaging around a 505-508.

Master's classes won't count for much. You still need a solid year of post-bacc work with some upper level science classes at the undergraduate level to raise that GPA to closer to a 3.2, especially with an MCAT Score like that on your record already.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @GrapesofRath guess it's not even worth sending any applications with that outlook.

Off topic but would being an immigrant and getting help from the government due to low family income and having to work to support my family during high school and even now make me a disadvantaged student?

If so, what exactly does that mean for me as an applicant.

Thanks @GrapesofRath guess it's not even worth sending any applications with that outlook.

Off topic but would being an immigrant and getting help from the government due to low family income and having to work to support my family during high school and even now make me a disadvantaged student?

Worry about vastly improving your MCAT. None of this means jack squat until then(if it matters at all).

You are off the charts below estimates (give yourself a 22 MCAT):
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-who-applied-with-your-cgpa-and-mcat.888650/

Hey @GrapesofRath and @gyngyn, thanks for your reply. I had sent in the application to AMCAS for one school and just received from AMCAS that I have 3.42cGPA and 3.22sGPA. Do my chances inprove any for DO schools with ECs/clinical experience and LORs?

Thanks again

Hey @GrapesofRath and @gyngyn, thanks for your reply. I had sent in the application to AMCAS for one school and just received from AMCAS that I have 3.42cGPA and 3.22sGPA. Do my chances inprove any for DO schools with ECs/clinical experience and LORs?

Thanks again

You could have a 4.0 and first author papers in nature. If you have a 15 MCAT you will not get into a medical school in the US allopathic or osteopathic regardless. Period

Your only focus needs to be on the mcat and mcat only. You need to do at least 10 points better this time around and that's a pretty rare occurence

3.0 undergrad science and a terrible MCAT. This tells me the masters is just nice grade inflation. Is say your chances are close to none. Perhaps LUCOM will take you.