Any word on DO Pain Management?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NK1Positive

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2nd year DO student here who is taking the USMLE in June and interested in Pain Medicine.. As per the anesthesia forum of SDN, osteopathic anesthesiology residencies are basically considered taboo. I was just wondering if this was the general consensus for pain management fellowships as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
2nd year DO student here who is taking the USMLE in June and interested in Pain Medicine.. As per the anesthesia forum of SDN, osteopathic anesthesiology residencies are basically considered taboo. I was just wondering if this was the general consensus for pain management fellowships as well?

I do not believe there are any AOA Pain fellowships

Would rec ACGME/MD residency/fellowship training

osteopathic.opportunities.org lists 3 and it looks like two are opening this July and the other one was in 2010 so I guess maybe one almost two graduates? so much for that I guess..

Members don't see this ad :)
osteopathic.opportunities.org lists 3 and it looks like two are opening this July and the other one was in 2010 so I guess maybe one almost two graduates? so much for that I guess..

go acgme. you wont be sorry. It may not help, but it will not hurt. AOA, may help, but it MAY HURT, and its not worth it...take the USMLE like you are doing and do anesthesia or PMR (if your crazy:smuggrin:) in an "MD" residency. you have way more options, and that cant be a bad thing

My error above, cool to see DO Pain fellowships. The DO world has been slacking when it comes to developing our own graduate ed.

There is a lot of active work and discussion going on through the AOCPM&R (DO PM&R organization) to develop AOA accreditation in pain. I don't know the details, but there was talk of this becoming a reality within the next couple years.

I understand that there already is already Certification of Added Qualifications (CAQ) for pain medicine for Osteopathic Anesthesia. http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...ges/specialty-subspecialty-certification.aspx

I have a friend on one of the AOCPM&R committees. I don't know all the details but seems like they are currently preparing the board examination questions etc. Basically any D.O PM&R(must have completed an osteopathic internship) will be able to sit for this exam. There is a strict inclusion criteria (number of procedures, number of years in practice, fellowship for recent grads) but again I don't know all the details. I suppose a similar thing happened with the ABPMR in 2000-2001 as far as I know. I am sure that AOBPM&R pain certification will be comparable to the pain subspecialty certification offered by the ABPMR.

This was the last update on the AOCPMR.
http://aocpmr.org/2012/02/from-the-executive-director/

Any new news about Osteopathic PM&R Pain management CAQ? I am hoping to do an non accredited interventional spine fellowship next July. Was wondering if I could get the CAQ?

go acgme. you wont be sorry. It may not help, but it will not hurt. AOA, may help, but it MAY HURT, and its not worth it...take the USMLE like you are doing and do anesthesia or PMR (if your crazy:smuggrin:) in an "MD" residency. you have way more options, and that cant be a bad thing

Is pain management easier to get as an anesthesiologist versus PM&R?