About the ads

Any word on DO Pain Management?

Discussion in 'Pain Medicine' started by NK1Positive, May 7, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. NK1Positive

NK1Positive

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    2nd year DO student here who is taking the USMLE in June and interested in Pain Medicine.. As per the anesthesia forum of SDN, osteopathic anesthesiology residencies are basically considered taboo. I was just wondering if this was the general consensus for pain management fellowships as well?
  2. specepic

specepic

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I do not believe there are any AOA Pain fellowships

Would rec ACGME/MD residency/fellowship training
  3. NK1Positive

NK1Positive

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    osteopathic.opportunities.org lists 3 and it looks like two are opening this July and the other one was in 2010 so I guess maybe one almost two graduates? so much for that I guess..
  4. Jcm800

Jcm800

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    go acgme. you wont be sorry. It may not help, but it will not hurt. AOA, may help, but it MAY HURT, and its not worth it...take the USMLE like you are doing and do anesthesia or PMR (if your crazy:smuggrin:) in an "MD" residency. you have way more options, and that cant be a bad thing
  5. specepic

specepic

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    My error above, cool to see DO Pain fellowships. The DO world has been slacking when it comes to developing our own graduate ed.
  6. Taus

Taus . Moderator

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    There is a lot of active work and discussion going on through the AOCPM&R (DO PM&R organization) to develop AOA accreditation in pain. I don't know the details, but there was talk of this becoming a reality within the next couple years.
  7. PMR2008

PMR2008 PM&R

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I understand that there already is already Certification of Added Qualifications (CAQ) for pain medicine for Osteopathic Anesthesia. http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...ges/specialty-subspecialty-certification.aspx

I have a friend on one of the AOCPM&R committees. I don't know all the details but seems like they are currently preparing the board examination questions etc. Basically any D.O PM&R(must have completed an osteopathic internship) will be able to sit for this exam. There is a strict inclusion criteria (number of procedures, number of years in practice, fellowship for recent grads) but again I don't know all the details. I suppose a similar thing happened with the ABPMR in 2000-2001 as far as I know. I am sure that AOBPM&R pain certification will be comparable to the pain subspecialty certification offered by the ABPMR.

This was the last update on the AOCPMR.
    http://aocpmr.org/2012/02/from-the-executive-director/
  8. gboom22

gboom22 Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Any new news about Osteopathic PM&R Pain management CAQ? I am hoping to do an non accredited interventional spine fellowship next July. Was wondering if I could get the CAQ?
  9. PMR2008

PMR2008 PM&R

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    They are still working on it.Last I heard it will be available starting next year. You can follow any updates here http://aocpmr.org/news/
  10. apevo8

apevo8

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Is pain management easier to get as an anesthesiologist versus PM&R?
  11. bedrock

bedrock Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    yes. This has been discussed hundreds of times.
  12. Taus

Taus . Moderator

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Yes