anybody familiar with ucsd extension?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exoinsanity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from my 4 yr college and am applying this cycle. Now I have med schools telling me that I only have 1 semester of English, though i APtested out of my undergraduate degree english requirement. I'm looking at taking Creative writing 1 at UCSD extension this Fall. Do you think med schools will acknowledge this course towards my english prereq? I asked the ucsd extension office and they told me the course is for "continuing education credit," not "university credit" therefore it will not be calculated into my UG GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated from my 4 yr college and am applying this cycle. Now I have med schools telling me that I only have 1 semester of English, though i APtested out of my undergraduate degree english requirement. I'm looking at taking Creative writing 1 at UCSD extension this Fall. Do you think med schools will acknowledge this course towards my english prereq? I asked the ucsd extension office and they told me the course is for "continuing education credit," not "university credit" therefore it will not be calculated into my UG GPA.

which college were u in? I am in the same situation, if you were in Muir

Just because it won't be counted toward your uGPA doesn't mean med schools won't take it. I am concerned about it only being 1 credit, though. I would call the schools and ask. (Maybe just a sample -- 5 of your favorites).

Members don't see this ad :)
I've done UCI Extension, and it didn't go into my overall UG GPA, but it counts to fulfill prereqs and such. I would call schools to double check, but it should be fine.

I've done UCI Extension, and it didn't go into my overall UG GPA, but it counts to fulfill prereqs and such. I would call schools to double check, but it should be fine.

Hi CougarMD,

I was planning on doing UCI Extension to raise my UG GPA but your comment about it not factoring into your UG GPA alarms me now. Did you take classes with other undergraduate students via Access UCI (part of UCI Extension) or just regular UCI Extension classes? My plan is to take UCI Extension: Access UCI classes for the sake of raising my uGPA but input from your experience will allow me to see if my plan is worthwhile.

Thanks!