Anybody have any opinions on Auburn vs Illinois for vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KathleenHadds31245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I recently got accepted to Illinois's veterinary school, and I still have to interview and hear back from my contract in-state school (Auburn, which I applied to as a Kentucky resident). In no way do I assume or even think I have a chance of getting accepted at Auburn as well, but if I do, I'm worried about how difficult the decision will be. Everybody tells me not to pass up in-state tuition, but I'm not sure how I feel about how isolated Auburn seems, the fact that you have to wear clothes in accordance with a professional dress code everyday just to go to class, or the conservative, southern culture shock that I would face coming from Michigan as an undergrad. Also, Illinois allows you to start clinicals right away, which I would love, and Auburn does not start until fourth year. But I don't know if I want another four years of cold weather at Illinois haha. And I think Auburn is slightly higher ranked than Illinois. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Rank doesn't matter. Especially not when rank is slightly higher. I wouldn't personally pass up in-state tuition, but if you think that you wouldn't fit well with the school culture (and wouldn't be happy as a result), I also wouldn't force yourself. I'm not sure how Auburn is, but is definitely get to know some students before assuming what the school culture will be like. Maybe it is that way, maybe the students at the vet school and people in the surrounding area is different. I don't *personally* mind the dress code myself--I'm a grad TA and need to dress semi-professional on school days. I got used to it, and I'm sure the dress code like that is similar. Weird at first, then you grow accustomed.

I like the way Illinois has its clinical a broken up personally, but there's plenty of ways to get involved if the school doesn't do rotations until fourth year. I'd ask some current students and see what they've experienced.

That said, if you DO get in, I'd take some serious thought as to why you don't want to go to Auburn. I wholeheartedly believe in going where it's cheapest. If you'd really be unhappy there, yeah, you shouldn't go. But, you might also end up really enjoying it there. Nobody can tell the future, but I'd first see what's up with Auburn and develop a good opinion on the pros and cons of the school.

Hey guys!

I recently got accepted to Illinois's veterinary school, and I still have to interview and hear back from my contract in-state school (Auburn, which I applied to as a Kentucky resident). In no way do I assume or even think I have a chance of getting accepted at Auburn as well, but if I do, I'm worried about how difficult the decision will be. Everybody tells me not to pass up in-state tuition, but I'm not sure how I feel about how isolated Auburn seems, the fact that you have to wear clothes in accordance with a professional dress code everyday just to go to class, or the conservative, southern culture shock that I would face coming from Michigan as an undergrad. Also, Illinois allows you to start clinicals right away, which I would love, and Auburn does not start until fourth year. But I don't know if I want another four years of cold weather at Illinois haha. And I think Auburn is slightly higher ranked than Illinois. What do you guys think?

Going to be honest, I hate dressing up. Hate it. I am a jeans, t-shirt and hoodie type of person and throw hair into pony tail. However, I have gotten used to the professional dress days required here... it really isn't that bad and is something you can easily adjust to. Heck, I don't even have to spend any extra time getting ready on professional dress days anymore than any normal day.

Not sure how bad the "culture shock" will be. I don't go to Auburn, but maybe you should see if you can get in contact with some current students and can discuss that with them to see if that is even an issue or not.

My idea on the clinics right away: So what? Seriously. The only benefit I see is that you get to know your way around the hospital a bit perhaps. But do you really think that as a first year student among a bunch of 4th years, interns, residents and clinicians that you are going to really pick up a whole lot? Especially if you have no previous schooling or teaching that you can correlate anything to? Maybe a current Illinois student can chime in on this, since they would know better. I always found going to clinics for 8 weeks without being taught anything to just be odd and I would just be confused. Heck, even as a third year in some of the mini-rotations I am confused and I have had all the lectures. I don't really see how it is of any benefit to be in the hospital with no background or prior context.... other than to maybe get a feel for the flow of the hospital and where things are. I could be wrong though.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about this too much until you hear back from Auburn. No point in stressing yourself over something that may not even be an issue.

If you do get accepted to Auburn, think hard about the tuition difference. Unless you think you will be downright miserable at Auburn and won't be able to succeed in vet school, then I wouldn't pass up the IS tuition. Tuition is going to be for life whereas vet school is only 4 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My idea on the clinics right away: So what? Seriously. The only benefit I see is that you get to know your way around the hospital a bit perhaps. But do you really think that as a first year student among a bunch of 4th years, interns, residents and clinicians that you are going to really pick up a whole lot? Especially if you have no previous schooling or teaching that you can correlate anything to? Maybe a current Illinois student can chime in on this, since they would know better. I always found going to clinics for 8 weeks without being taught anything to just be odd and I would just be confused. Heck, even as a third year in some of the mini-rotations I am confused and I have had all the lectures. I don't really see how it is of any benefit to be in the hospital with no background or prior context.... other than to maybe get a feel for the flow of the hospital and where things are. I could be wrong though.

So the rotations 1st and 2nd year are heavily supplemented with clinical skill labs. Essentially practical hands on experience with learning how to gown, suture, ultrasound, take rads, administer medications in various routes, blood draws, castrations, rectal palpation, aseptic technique, etc. which in my opinion does set the Illinois student above others, at least from what I have observed when I am on externships.

So the rotations 1st and 2nd year are heavily supplemented with clinical skill labs. Essentially practical hands on experience with learning how to gown, suture, ultrasound, take rads, administer medications in various routes, blood draws, castrations, rectal palpation, aseptic technique, etc. which in my opinion does set the Illinois student above others, at least from what I have observed when I am on externships.

I see. I guess I have just seen and heard of this occurring at every school at some point in the curriculum, so I don't know if it is worth the difference in IS vs. OOS tuition. Guess it really depends on the person. I am sure Auburn teaches all the above at some point in their curriculum... really up to the OP if they want to spend the extra in tuition.

Although, I wouldn't be worrying about it now if I were the OP, I'd be waiting to see if I actually got into Auburn first before worrying about it. :)

All the snow outside right now, makes this a very important distinction.
it does, except a friend of mine in alabama just posted a very snowy picture of his house. like much more than a dusty. :dead:

but yes, this is how i make life decisions ;) cold? no.