Anybody have any tips on improving in science classes?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarainbow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In college, assigned homework isn't sufficient reinforcement. You will have to create your own homework.

Chemistry requires a lot of practice problems. Treat it like a math course and do the practice problems in the back of the book. Getting the ACS study guide is also a good source of practice problems.

Biology depends on the instructor. Near the beginning of the course, ask the professor if the content of the exam can be effectively covered by just focusing on the lecture material. If it is lecture heavy (tends to be), you will need to improve your note-taking abilities in class. Sadly, some of us aren't talented like that and have to resort to audio recording professors and transcribing it on paper for easy reading. If it relies heavily on the book, I'm afraid you have to read it. In this instance, you're going to have to paraphrase the content of the chapters in your own words and streamline/rewrite it for easy reading. This is active learning. Nowadays, I see all these freshman highlighting everything in the book and failing exams... it's because highlighting doesn't ensure it sticks to your head buddy. At least, not well enough to answer complex questions.

Both chemistry and biology will have diagrams. Cell/molec biology has an extraordinary amount of diagrams/processes you have to remember. A good way to remember these intricate steps is to draw everything out on paper again and again and again. Incidentally, this is the method employed by students who have to remember thousands of chinese calligraphy symbols. And trust me, those symbols can be more complex than your average joe kreb cycle.

TLDR: Focus on active learning. Don't just read the information. Do something with it. Transcribe it, draw it out, practice problems, teach it to an invisible friend, etc.

Need additional help? There are free services at school. :p

Reactions: 1 users
In college, assigned homework isn't sufficient reinforcement. You will have to create your own homework.

Chemistry requires a lot of practice problems. Treat it like a math course and do the practice problems in the back of the book. Getting the ACS study guide is also a good source of practice problems.

Biology depends on the instructor. Near the beginning of the course, ask the professor if the content of the exam can be effectively covered by just focusing on the lecture material. If it is lecture heavy (tends to be), you will need to improve your note-taking abilities in class. Sadly, some of us aren't talented like that and have to resort to audio recording professors and transcribing it on paper for easy reading. If it relies heavily on the book, I'm afraid you have to read it. In this instance, you're going to have to paraphrase the content of the chapters in your own words and streamline/rewrite it for easy reading. This is active learning. Nowadays, I see all these freshman highlighting everything in the book and failing exams... it's because highlighting doesn't ensure it sticks to your head buddy. At least, not well enough to answer complex questions.

Both chemistry and biology will have diagrams. Cell/molec biology has an extraordinary amount of diagrams/processes you have to remember. The only way to remember these intricate steps is to draw everything out on paper again and again and again. Incidentally, this is the method employed by students who have to remember thousands of chinese calligraphy symbols. And trust me, those symbols can be more complex than your average joe kreb cycle.

TLDR: Focus on active learning. Don't just read the information. Do something with it. Transcribe it, draw it out, practice problems, teach it to an invisible friend, etc.

/thread

That was fast. :p