Anybody interview at NS-LIJ or any current Residents there now, have a few questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Durrsauce

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, anybody here interview at NS-LIJ. Just wondering how the interview went and what questions they asked? any advice from any current residents would be awesome as well. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

ive only heard bad things becv they are run by non-academics.

I know the area, and I've only heard negative things as well. Run by non-academics/AMC. The program is also new and unproven. Pt. population not the best to work with especially as a trainee

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually turned my IV down from there. Its run by a private group that probably isn't all that interested in teaching. Patient population, given the area, tends to be "not sick" as stated above, so not ideal for training purposes. Plus its a pretty new program which matters for jobs and fellowship pursuits.

Best friend's wife is a CA-2 there. As with any newer program with fewer residents, you will have a higher workload, but you will also see more cases and therefore probably will emerge a superb physician. You will however work hard. Also the director is an extremely well know CT anesthesiologist. Her word goes very far if you're interested in CT. They have a decent subsidized housing program. Pay is excellent although cost of living in the area is also high. PM me with any specific questions and I will try to get the answers for you.

Last edited:
Best friend's wife is a CA-2 there. As with any newer program with fewer residents, you will have a higher workload, but you will also see more cases and therefore probably will emerge a superb physician. You will however work hard. Also the director is an extremely well know CT anesthesioligist. Her word goes very far if you're interested in CT. They have a decent subsidized housing program. Pay is excellent although cost of living in the area is also high. PM me with any specific questions and I will try to get the answers for you.

TeslaCoil, Thank you for the reply. Really appreciate it. I actually am looking forward to my interview at this program. Being that it is a new program I want to be apart of something and help to create it and hopefully turn it into something reputable. The fact that the PD is a known CT anesthesiologist is also a plus as that is something I have looked into as well. I don't mind the part about working hard at all, I want to be involved in as many cases as possible, while I rotated through my clerkships, one attending made an important point of how you need to really pick up cases so that when you are placed in the real world and you don't have anybody to depend on you are highly skilled and able to handle any situation on your own. Thanks again I will definitely PM you for any upcoming questions I may have.

Would you want to go to a program that has it's roots in an AMC? NAPA the king of AMCS in NY/Long island was started at NS-LIJ. They probably started this residency to encourage the higherups to leave them be. The admin is getting tired of NAPA and their ways. I don't care who the PD is. She is probably there to make the residency seem more respectable etc... I thought it was illegal to have a residency where this is an AMC? Students I would stay away from this program and I originally grew up on L.I. and like it there.