Anybody know what path I need to take to be a sex psychologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueblackhair

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently in undergrad at a public university and recently changed my major from bio to psychology and i'm interested in being a sex psychologist (perhaps a marriage counselor/relationship therapist even). What steps do I need to take to reach this goal...i'm new to the department (I just switched majors at the end of the semester so I haven't talked to anyone yet) so I don't really have any ideas about graduate school or anything either and for this profession and do I really need a phd or doctorate?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need a solid foundation in Clinical/Counseling Psychology and then you need to pursue additional training and mentorship in the area.

You'd be a clinical psychologist or counseling psychologist who works in the area of intimacy (or however you want to describe it), as there isn't a specialized title for it.

Reactions: 1 user
You could become licensed as a master level clinician and then become certified as a sex therapist AASECT. The certification process can be challenging however as you will need supervision from a certified sex therapist and there aren't many around.

Some states have specific "sex" therapist/psychologist requirements. The first step is get a doctorate in clinical or counseling psychology and take related elective courses.