Anybody using E-prescribing for CS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOSfan

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to see if anyone is currently using a e-prescribing system for controlled substances.

If so, specifically, which 2 authentication factors are you using? And, any positive/negative feedback would be greatly appreciated.

EPCS --> the wave of the future ;>)

Members don't see this ad.

State of NM is not setup for it yet, It would make my life much easier

Members don't see this ad :)
It is fully legal according to the DEA. Not one bit of software supports it as of yet. Says there are 702 pharmacies ready, we are unaware of how to transmit to them.

There are a number of EMR that support EPCS: including Greenway, EPIC, Chart Logic and almost 100 others that will allow for EPCS.

Here is a list from the GDNA website (http://gdna.georgia.gov/press-relea...tions-controlled-substances-updated-5-27-2014)

You may want to have your IT people look in to it as you can likely get a third party vendor to 'add' the feature to your current EMR.

Most of the large pharmacies can already accept them (Walgreens, CVS); however, for whatever reason, Walmart can not in my region.

Electronic prescribing of CS will be mandatory as of March 25, 2015 in NYS. Currently I print out CS scripts using EMR (epic), and patient picks up script.

There are a number of EMR that support EPCS: including Greenway, EPIC, Chart Logic and almost 100 others that will allow for EPCS.

Here is a list from the GDNA website (http://gdna.georgia.gov/press-relea...tions-controlled-substances-updated-5-27-2014)

You may want to have your IT people look in to it as you can likely get a third party vendor to 'add' the feature to your current EMR.

Most of the large pharmacies can already accept them (Walgreens, CVS); however, for whatever reason, Walmart can not in my region.

Thx. Will have IT look into pathway. Misys or whatever it is (Allscripts) blocks it.

I have been doing it for several months now in the Northeast. Has been so helpful for me. One time, I actually drove 45 minutes from home to meet my medical assistant to give her some scripts for patients to pick up from our office on a day that we closed for a snow storm...now I can just send in a refill from home if that ever happens. It does feel like quite a responsibility though. I do not let my patients know I have the ability to send electronically right away. Only after we have established a relationship and I feel that I can reasonably trust them. I don't want them to think that they don't have to come in for pill counts and urine screens if I can just send it in by e-Rx. For EPCS, I got set up through Dr.First which is an e-Rx site, which I think I have membership for through an IPA. I was given an authenticator type device that generates random 6 digit codes for verification. I get paranoid about losing it, but so far has been ok (knock on wood).

Great. It would prevent many dogs from frequently eating their owners narc scripts...

My dog hacked tbe system. Can you re erx?

That's great!

Well, I guess it is not entirely foolproof. One time a patient called to say that they never received an opioid eRx. I called the pharmacy and sure enough they never received it in their system. So I just resent the Rx. Although I guess you never know if the patient worked out some sort of deal with the pharmacist...