Anyone applied to NIH Intramural Research Training? What is your application like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunAngel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pre-med student graduating in May. I'm taking the MCAT after graduation and taking the year off to do research. I have done research for about a year and a half now. I just heard about NIH Intramural Research Training and it looks like something I would love to do since I'm very passionate about research.
However, my GPA is not that great (2.9). Do you think I have a chance of getting in?

Also, if you got into one of these programs, which one did you get into, and what was your GPA like, and did it help you get into an MD medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

lol i also threw in application in, graduating this may, havent gotten in yet but hoping for the best. best to you as well.

lol i also threw in application in, graduating this may, havent gotten in yet but hoping for the best. best to you as well.
Thank you. Just heard about it last night, and was like that might be better than a master that puts me in more debts. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied last week. I've heard great things. Still waiting on LORs though. I'm also in the process of contacting some PIs.

I applied last week. I've heard great things. Still waiting on LORs though. I'm also in the process of contacting some PIs.
That is awesome. Will you be able to share more info about your application as in how much research, how good is your GPA, an whether you had any other experience? Also, do I need to contact PI's myself? Maybe I haven't quite comprehended how these program is like. I thought you apply and share your interest then they match you with one. That would have been easier lol

That is awesome. Will you be able to share more info about your application as in how much research, how good is your GPA, an whether you had any other experience? Also, do I need to contact PI's myself? Maybe I haven't quite comprehended how these program is like. I thought you apply and share your interest then they match you with one. That would have been easier lol

It a an extremely decentralized process. After you submit your app, you can wait for PIs to search the database and hope they find you. However, it is highly recommended you be proactive and contact PIs yourself.

You do not need any prior research for the NIH IRTA program, although it can help. I will let you know how it goes for me after I get some responses from PIs.

I am currently working as an NIH IRTA. You have to be proactive and contact PIs yourself. They may find you in the database, but all of the people I have met here contacted their PIs before getting a position. My GPA was fairly high (3.7+) and I did have other research experience. Two of my letter writers were past PIs. However, GPA and prior research are important, but not a defining factor. They look for students that are interested in the lab, have good letters and are a good fit for their labs. When you individually contact the PIs, write a cover letter explaining your interest in their research. Read their past publications and show that you are knowledgeable about their work--that way, they will know you are motivated. Good luck and PM me if you want any more information about the program.

Reactions: 1 user
Current IRTA here as well. Dancingmate's post is spot on - I'll add that some PIs are only willing to take on post bacs for two year commitments. Something to keep in mind.

Very helpful...I will be applying to the IRTA program as well...Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

A 2.9 GPA will make it incredibly difficult to land a spot as an IRTA. PIs can search the database and nearly all will put in some rough screens. You'll be screened out of most searches. Be proactive and contact PIs. However, if you're goal is MD/DO, I think your time would be better spent doing an SMP to raise that GPA to an acceptable level.

I'm submitting my app soon and all my LORs will be in this weekend, hopefully. I am contacting PIs this weekend as well. Hopefully it's not too late!

3.9+, ~2 years research experience, my PI is a graduate of the program, etc...

Current IRTA. Dancingmate is exactly correct. I also have two friends from college that work at the NIH and we all found spots by emailing PIs. I think I probably emailed close to 30, including a full cover letter and references to their work. Most of them didn't even look at my application. Be proactive, and follow-up with people.

Some PIs will accept IRTAs for just one year, but take the time to seriously consider how helpful that will be. I was planning on working only one year but could only find a two year position and ended up being glad that I did. I will now have substantive research experience by the time that I apply as well as a very strong letter from my PI. The IRTAs that I know who are doing one year have had a tough time balancing interviews and a brand new job. PIs are flexible with interviews since it's expected that we will go to med/grad school after, but they will start questioning why someone they hired a month ago is taking off every other week for a few days at a time. It makes it hard to run big experiments.

Be very careful with choosing a PI if/when you accept a job. All three of us have had wildly different experiences. One of us has no pubs and works close to 70 hours a week on many different projects with many people she doesn't get along with, another has a PI that tends to micromanage and has a stressful lab environment but works about 40 hours a week and is looking at 2-3 pubs by the end of the year, and another works in a close knit lab and has no major complaints or tradeoffs. I would say that to some extent, each of us had a good idea of what our labs would be like before we accepted since we talked to former postbacs from the labs. You need to find one that will be a good fit for your working habits and goals.

Feel free to contact me with specific questions.

I'm a pre-med student graduating in May. I'm taking the MCAT after graduation and taking the year off to do research. I have done research for about a year and a half now. I just heard about NIH Intramural Research Training and it looks like something I would love to do since I'm very passionate about research.
However, my GPA is not that great (2.9). Do you think I have a chance of getting in?

Also, if you got into one of these programs, which one did you get into, and what was your GPA like, and did it help you get into an MD medical school?
A 2.9 GPA will make it incredibly difficult to land a spot as an IRTA. PIs can search the database and nearly all will put in some rough screens. You'll be screened out of most searches. Be proactive and contact PIs. However, if you're goal is MD/DO, I think your time would be better spent doing an SMP to raise that GPA to an acceptable level.

I'm a current IRTA and histidine is completely right. The program is very variable between different labs and PIs, so I can't say it's impossible to get a position with a 2.9 GPA. But just being honest, there are a lot of qualified candidates (I think about 10 for each available spot), and with a 2.9 GPA you don't have much of a chance. It's one of the easiest things to screen for and PIs are busy. But even if you did land an IRTA position, in terms of your med school application you would be much better off trying to get that GPA up rather than beefing your research credentials.

Current IRTA. Dancingmate is exactly correct. I also have two friends from college that work at the NIH and we all found spots by emailing PIs. I think I probably emailed close to 30, including a full cover letter and references to their work. Most of them didn't even look at my application. Be proactive, and follow-up with people.

Some PIs will accept IRTAs for just one year, but take the time to seriously consider how helpful that will be. I was planning on working only one year but could only find a two year position and ended up being glad that I did. I will now have substantive research experience by the time that I apply as well as a very strong letter from my PI. The IRTAs that I know who are doing one year have had a tough time balancing interviews and a brand new job. PIs are flexible with interviews since it's expected that we will go to med/grad school after, but they will start questioning why someone they hired a month ago is taking off every other week for a few days at a time. It makes it hard to run big experiments.

Be very careful with choosing a PI if/when you accept a job. All three of us have had wildly different experiences. One of us has no pubs and works close to 70 hours a week on many different projects with many people she doesn't get along with, another has a PI that tends to micromanage and has a stressful lab environment but works about 40 hours a week and is looking at 2-3 pubs by the end of the year, and another works in a close knit lab and has no major complaints or tradeoffs. I would say that to some extent, each of us had a good idea of what our labs would be like before we accepted since we talked to former postbacs from the labs. You need to find one that will be a good fit for your working habits and goals.

Feel free to contact me with specific questions.
How do find who were former postbacs in the labs? would you just ask the PI for the contact information or is there a directory?

How do find who were former postbacs in the labs? would you just ask the PI for the contact information or is there a directory?
Ask the PI. You should always ask them before contacting their lab members anyway, so it shouldn't be a big deal to ask for contact info as well. Some of them might also have info for past lab members on their website.

Hi, applicant here as well, does anybody here have any tips more than contacting random PIs and hoping to get a position? I have contacted 70+ and only 12 replied with rejections. I graduated with a 3.6, year of research experience and 4 months worth of being a full time technical lab assistant. Do you just name drop papers and why they fascinate you?