Program-Specific Info / Q's Anyone apply to MUSC early decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think they offer half of the spots available during early admission. So roughly 23 spots or something like that. I was told less people apply to early admission vs regular admission. So think of it this way.... MUSC gets 200 applications for early admission. They give out 23 slots. That leaves 177 applications to either be dropped or rolled over to regular add. Ok, now it's time for regular admission. They get another 200 application. Now your looking at the possibility of competing for the other 23 spots against 250-350 applications vs. just the 200 or so at early application. I hope this makes sense. And they could get more than 200 for regular admission too. Say they get 600.... That's a lot of competition.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That is a lot of competition. I remember Dr. Bowman also told me that they average around 470ish applicants each year or something like that. However, he also said that quite of a few of those applications were not even completed; the number just includes the amount of people who paid the fee. Regardless, that's still a LOT of competition. I'm glad it's not part of the OTCAS system or that applicant number would be even higher.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah exactly. Half of the problem is all of the stress it is causing me! I am so anxious lol. I wonder what the odds are of finding out today!

Members don't see this ad :)
YES I am going insane! Seriously, every time my email alert goes off I freak out and scramble to read it. The fact that they're taking longer to send out decisions that they previously implied is making me even more nervous!

Exactly! I def. Thought we would have heard back by now! I also never submitted the personal statement but I mailed it instead... I'm hoping they realized that lol I keep freaking out over little stuff in my app now lol

Exactly! I def. Thought we would have heard back by now! I also never submitted the personal statement but I mailed it instead... I'm hoping they realized that lol I keep freaking out over little stuff in my app now lol

Oh god now I'm freaking out because I never even submitted a personal statement! Was it on the online part of the application?! Ahhh my hair is going to turn white before this whole process is over with!!!

Oh god now I'm freaking out because I never even submitted a personal statement! Was it on the online part of the application?! Ahhh my hair is going to turn white before this whole process is over with!!!
Kwsmiley, you're not alone. I don't remember doing a personal statement either. However, I emailed admissions about a month ago and they said that they had received everything that they needed to make a decision.

Kwsmiley, you're not alone. I don't remember doing a personal statement either. However, I emailed admissions about a month ago and they said that they had received everything that they needed to make a decision.

Oh my gosh you have no idea how comforting that is. Haha I just saw my graduate school career flash before my eyes. Thank you bhansen2! Hopefully it won't negatively affect our chances in any way.

The personal statement was an optional slot on the resume page of the online application. I was told it was not necessary, and everything they needed had been received.

Seriously though... This whole process has been quite the intense lesson in patience... Haha

Reactions: 2 users
Well... at least we know it will be tomorrow :)

Reactions: 3 users
I hope so! If we have to wait another week, I'm going to be pretty upset :(

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to scare you! Yes in SC you don't need one! I wasn't going too and decided last minute but I'm nervous they won't use it in my packet because it isn't updated online that I have one

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we will be notified via email or regular mail? I was originally under the impression that it would be email but now I'm questioning everything I thought I knew! Lol.

I'm pretty sure that the website where you check you application status says that you will be notified via email.

Friends. Read through your thread last night and so glad I've found people in the same boat. I'm so tempted to call or email them and ask but I'm sure they have a million people doing that already. I just want to know!

The application progress page definitely says that we will be notified via email, but it also said that we would receive that email during November... Which we all know too well didn't happen! anshe2768, I'm questioning everything I thought I knew too haha

Someone said this week but idk what the odds are. The days almost over

Has anyone called/emailed them today? I'm just confused (and disappointed) about why they would directly tell students that it would be this week and then not follow through.

Has anyone called/emailed them today? I'm just confused (and disappointed) about why they would directly tell students that it would be this week and then not follow through.
I have not called or emailed. I figured that they're going to send them out when they are ready. It would be nice to know the exact day that we will be notified but I don't believe calling or emailing is going to expedite the process.

I'm also disappointed. Tori Scott told me they "should be sent out sometime this week" and that was on Monday. *sigh* Another weekend of waiting :(

I have not called or emailed. I figured that they're going to send them out when they are ready. It would be nice to know the exact day that we will be notified but I don't believe calling or emailing is going to expedite the process.

I don't believe it will expedite the process either, but I do believe that confirming a definitive time frame for the emails to be sent out will help to soothe some of the nervousness that many of us are feeling.

It's honestly alittle frustrating. I was also specifically told it would be today.
I have received other acceptances already and can't make a choice until I hear from them.
I guess we can only hope it will be soon.

Just got an email. Deferred to regular admission. Definetly a day killer.

Just got the acceptance email! Good luck to everyone!!

Just got my acceptance letter!!! Looking forward to meeting you kwsmiley, and good luck to everyone else!

I just got an e-mail saying that I was pushed back to regular admission (I definitely didn't even apply for early decision!!!) so hopefully all of you that ACTUALLY applied for early decision will hear soon!!! Good luck!

I, too, got rolled to the regular cycle. Keep your heads up, though! At least we still have another chance. It's better than a deferral notice! I'm just disappointed about having to wait even longer now.

I was accepted also! Congrats friends and good luck to everyone else!

Would those of you who were accepted mind posting your stats?

Sure...
Undergraduate Degree: Liberal Studies with a focus in Leadership from Thomas Edison State College
Georgia Resident
GPA/Prereq GPA: 4.0/4.0
GRE: Verbal - 161, Quantitative - 157, Analytical Writing - 4.0
Shadowing Hours: 100 in pediatrics and 20 in geriatrics
Volunteer/Work experience: 1000+ hours as a volunteer at our local tennis association (mostly with children with disabilities, and inner city kids), 100 hours volunteering at a Speech and Hearing Clinic (assisted with patients and developing resources), Babysitter/Nanny for family with special needs child, Tutored several children (1 with dyslexia),
Worked as a Tennis coach and tournament director for several years, and worked as a part-time sales associate in a gift shop for 3 years. Then various missions projects, a mission trip, and other volunteer and leadership roles within my church.

Undergrad: University of Alabama at Birmingham, BS in Psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.85
GRE: 160 verbal, 155 quant, 4.0 AW (ugh)
OT observation/volunteer hours: 133 hours total in various settings (pediatric outpatient clinic, school system, 2 different rehab facilities)
Research experience: Constraint Induced Therapy research via UAB
Internship: CampFire Alabama (also spent a few years volunteering with this organization)
Work experience: 4 years in a child care facility, day camp counselor and family events planning/coordination at a local country club, currently employed at the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

I had various other work/volunteer experiences unrelated to OT as well; I'd rather not type them all out (on mobile) but am willing to if anyone asks.

Keep your heads up guys! Good luck!

We should make a Facebook page for all those accepted!

I also received my acceptance on Monday! Congratulations to those who made it and good luck to those still waiting!

I posted this on the other MUSC forum, but I thought I'd put it here also. I'm filling out my supplemental packet right now and I'm a bit confused as to what to do about the observation hours log form. In the box for "Description of Work Performed" do we just put something like "observed..." and then list one thing? All of the detailed info about my observation hours is on my resume, so I'm not sure what they expect for the form. And there's hardly any room to type anything!! What did ya'll do for it?

Just made a Facebook group called MUSC OT Class of 2017, go join if you have been accepted!

And good luck to all else waiting!

I can't seem to find the group. Are you sure it is visible to everyone?

QUESTION. So do you think it looks bad if these are my pre-req grades.
A&P 1- A
A&P 2- C+
Statistics-A
Lifespan Human Development-A
Abnormal Psychology- B+
Sociology/Anthropology- A

I took A&P 1 and 2 combined and received an A but it doesn't count. I am so nervous now the C+ makes me look bad. I got an A in Lab and a C+ in lecture because my professor treated it like a nursing course... SO NERVOUS IT LOOKS BAD NOW.

QUESTION. So do you think it looks bad if these are my pre-req grades.
A&P 1- A
A&P 2- C+
Statistics-A
Lifespan Human Development-A
Abnormal Psychology- B+
Sociology/Anthropology- A

I took A&P 1 and 2 combined and received an A but it doesn't count. I am so nervous now the C+ makes me look bad. I got an A in Lab and a C+ in lecture because my professor treated it like a nursing course... SO NERVOUS IT LOOKS BAD NOW.
It really depends on the school. Some said a 3.0 on prereqs, and some did not specify. I would contact the school and ask someone. :)

I called earlier this week and was told that they would be starting to look at applications at the end of this week and applicants would be notified first week of March. I think that might be a tentative date though, so maybe we'll hear back earlier than that! I could be wrong, but I think it will be at least a couple more weeks!

Does MUSC actually reject any students for ED? Or does everyone get deffered?

Has anyone heard anything yet? I know someone stated the first week in March--just checking!

I really hope they send out letters soon! MUSC is my first choice and I am super anxious to find out!!!