Anyone applying for 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foody

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just submitted for UQ, Sydney and Melbourne (my reach schools)? Anyone submit and hear back yet? I asked UQ about the timeline but theyre being kinda vague...

Members don't see this ad.

Nice! Did they say how long it will take? The website says 6-8 weeks but was wondering if it's different from that. These threads seem kind of dead which is surprising, I thought a lot of people apply to Oz..thanks for the response!

Members don't see this ad :)
The website does say 6-8 weeks but I've read some posts from people who have been accepted in the past saying that they were notified in less than 2 weeks (I'm hoping this is generally the case). I think that it might take longer this year since they have more applications and half the seats are already filled. Anyway, no problem and best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
The website does say 6-8 weeks but I've read some posts from people who have been accepted in the past saying that they were notified in less than 2 weeks (I'm hoping this is generally the case). I think that it might take longer this year since they have more applications and half the seats are already filled. Anyway, no problem and best of luck to you!

Half the seats are filled? How is this so and how did you learn this?

Hey guys! I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm currently applying for January 2015 entry into the UQ Ochsner program. My application went in with the first round of applicants and they sent an update yesterday on the status of the applications. The email stated that there will be a meeting today at UQ to determine the flow of offers for 2015 entry and they would update us with specific information by the end of next week. Got my fingers crossed for good news!

I've been in contact with mededpath since last year, I was gonna go in for the January 2014 but decided to hold off for another year, and they said that, although they're still doing rolling admissions this year, they expect the class to fill up rather quickly this year.

I've been in contact with mededpath since last year, I was gonna go in for the January 2014 but decided to hold off for another year, and they said that, although they're still doing rolling admissions this year, they expect the class to fill up rather quickly this year.

I'm in the same situation. I have been in contact with the program since last year and considered Jan. 2014 as well , but I decided to hold off for a year because I should be getting a few nice publications from my job this year. I had my entire application in the first week they released the new application for 2015. Hopefully we should hear something soon.

Have you hear anything about the class being half filled already, like studentoflife mentioned?

I'm in the same situation. I have been in contact with the program since last year and considered Jan. 2014 as well , but I decided to hold off for a year because I should be getting a few nice publications from my job this year. I had my entire application in the first week they released the new application for 2015. Hopefully we should hear something soon.

Have you hear anything about the class being half filled already, like studentoflife mentioned?

I haven't heard anything about it already being half filled. To my knowledge, there were around 40 applications going in for the first batch sent to UQ and that those would be the first ones considered for admission for 2015. I'd be surprised if it was already half filled!

Did you receive the update email from mededpath yesterday regarding the updated timeline?

I haven't heard anything about it already being half filled. To my knowledge, there were around 40 applications going in for the first batch sent to UQ and that those would be the first ones considered for admission for 2015. I'd be surprised if it was already half filled!

Did you receive the update email from mededpath yesterday regarding the updated timeline?

Yes, I received that email as well. I'm assuming that means we are part of the first batch, which is reassuring.

The mededpath website mentions, "Seats are offered on a first-come, first-served basis to students who meet the requirements for admission." Do you have any idea how strictly they adhere to the part I italicized and underlined? If there are available seats in the class and you meet the requirements stated on the website, you are accepted? Is there no direct competition between candidates?

I am not 100% sure but I think we are still ranked in terms of mcat. From what I've read, GPA is just a minimum requirement to submit but MCAT is the determining factor. I've also read in old threads of people being rejected with minimum stats. So not sure how it work. Asking mededpath is like pulling teeth. I'll have to check my email for that update, I think it'd be awesome if we all got in.

Also, we've applied early so that helps. Whereas, I think if we applied late with min stats it'd be more difficult if we are ranked against a higher applicant.

Yes, I received that email as well. I'm assuming that means we are part of the first batch, which is reassuring.

The mededpath website mentions, "Seats are offered on a first-come, first-served basis to students who meet the requirements for admission." Do you have any idea how strictly they adhere to the part I italicized and underlined? If there are available seats in the class and you meet the requirements stated on the website, you are accepted? Is there no direct competition between candidates?

That's actually something I'm not 100% sure about. I've asked both Whitney and Toby that exact question and they've never directly said yes. They've both told me that it is first-come, first-served and that once the applications are in they go through the admisions commitee that then reviews the applications. They've also said that mededpath wouldn't send applicants that didn't meet the requirements for UQ admission over to them. So I think that's sorta a round about way of saying yes?

I've heard from other threads that they have denied acceptance to people before, but on what basis, I'm not sure of. I'm a little nervous about that. The applications manager from mededpath said that with a batch this size it may take longer that 6-8 weeks to get word back and it may take up to 12 weeks. Hoping that's not the case!

Well, I hope everyone gets good news and sooner rather than later!

Reactions: 1 users
@Xenophon Mz. Volpe at mededpath told me in person that about half the seats were filled. This could also be completely erroneous considering the information you guys have just provided.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Xenophon Mz. Volpe at mededpath told me in person that about half the seats were filled. This could also be completely erroneous considering the information you guys have just provided.

Perhaps they are qualified applicants who applied too late last year and were offered spots in the following class (2015)?

Xenophon that might be quite possible as applicants from last year would have much more information and pre-knowledge about the program. I didn't hear about this program until 2 weeks ago. I feel that in 2 or 3 years this program will be just as difficult as US med schools to get into o.o

I certainly agree that admission will become much more competitive with each year, especially as more match data becomes available.

I have heard that they over enrolled last year. So maybe they did just bump some students to 2015? Don't quote me on that though, I can't remember where I heard that. Haha

I have heard that they over enrolled last year. So maybe they did just bump some students to 2015? Don't quote me on that though, I can't remember where I heard that. Haha

Weird, that must have been for the St. Lucia campus only, because I received an email toward the end of NOVEMBER (!!) last year that said they still had a few openings to begin in Jan. 2014 at the Ipswich campus. Imagine that - apply to med school in early December at start at the end of January. Quick turn around!

Hey everyone! My application was also sent with the first batch. I received the email from mededpath today as well regarding the updated timeline for acceptances. When I talked to Thea on the phone a week or two ago, she said the initial round of acceptances should be sent out no later than late May. I am hoping this is true. I've been accepted into a few DO programs and will need to make some quick decisions come June.

What are your guys' opinions on UQ Ochsner vs. Western U COMP? These are currently my top programs but they are so different from one another. In terms of quality of education and future residency placements (I'm thinking PM&R, maybe Ortho) what program do you think is more promising?

Hey everyone! My application was also sent with the first batch. I received the email from mededpath today as well regarding the updated timeline for acceptances. When I talked to Thea on the phone a week or two ago, she said the initial round of acceptances should be sent out no later than late May. I am hoping this is true. I've been accepted into a few DO programs and will need to make some quick decisions come June.

What are your guys' opinions on UQ Ochsner vs. Western U COMP? These are currently my top programs but they are so different from one another. In terms of quality of education and future residency placements (I'm thinking PM&R, maybe Ortho) what program do you think is more promising?

Hey there. If it was me I would go to western and run. Its a really good school and you wont deal with the difficulties of being an img. Im not sure about residency chances but everyone who Ive talked about med school say us med schools trumps any foreign program if your goal is to practice in the usa. If you have the opportunity why not take it. Unless you really want to live in Oz lol. Or just practice abroad. Its not a bad second option but to me itd be crazy to turn down a us med school offer if you plan on living here in the future.

Thanks @foody, I really like that UQ Ochsner integrates global health into their curriculum.. something I'm very interested in. The thought of living in Brisbane for two years is also quite appealing :) as is having until January to get my life in order before school. I have an appointment with my premed advisor in a couple of weeks and am going to ask her opinion on the two programs. Because of the quality of both UQ and Ochsner, it doesn't seem that students have had as hard of a time with the IMG label, granted only two (small) classes have gone through the match..

What the hell is global health?

@qldking, This is a description of one of the courses:

Global & Community Medicine: Global Health
This course addresses key global issues that affect the health, access to and delivery models of health services for citizens of the world, in developed and developing countries; rural and urban settings; indigenous, refugee and migrant communities; as part of routine as well as disaster responses. The principles of the Millennium Development Goals, the Health Systems Building Blocks, a Rights based approach, ecosystem health and social determinants of health are reinforced through various health issues, challenges and emerging conditions for global health. The UNMDGs are used as one of the primary organising themes for the course content, for both developed and developing country discussions of global health.

This is horrendous. I'm going to end up checking this forum multiple times everyday, wondering if other people have heard anything. I feel a little neurotic.

Reactions: 2 users
Same here lol. I wish the updates were more often and more detailed. If they had the meeting already, I dont see why mededpath cant get any more information through emails with UQ

If they had the meeting already, I dont see why mededpath cant get any more information through emails with UQ

I feel the same way. I have to send off a huge deposit to another school tomorrow, if I don't hear anything from UQ-Ochsner. Since I prefer the UQ-Ochsner program, it would be nice to know my status so that I could avoid losing that money if possible... :(

:nailbiting: The wait is driving me crazy too. I'm resisting the urge to contact mededpath for an update, instead I've been checking my email nonstop!

DO any of you guys mind sharing your stats?

*cue insane optimism*
I believe that Brisbane is 14 hours ahead of EST, so theoretically the UQ people should be starting their workday soon. Maybe if they meet in the morning, we might hear something late today...
*attempt to return to realistic thought processes*

I feel the same way. I have to send off a huge deposit to another school tomorrow, if I don't hear anything from UQ-Ochsner. Since I prefer the UQ-Ochsner program, it would be nice to know my status so that I could avoid losing that money if possible... :(

@Xenophon, just curious, what school do you have to put down the deposit for if you don't mind me asking. Why do you prefer UQ Ochsner?

I think the email said they would let us know later next week when the first round of offers would be sent out.

@Xenophon, just curious, what school do you have to put down the deposit for if you don't mind me asking. Why do you prefer UQ Ochsner?

I think the email said they would let us know later next week when the first round of offers would be sent out.

Yeah, I know we likely won't hear anything until the end of next week, but I'm just hoping that I won't have to send off a substantial, non-refundable deposit tomorrow. It's going to kill my bank account.

I've been accepted to a school in Ireland. It's actually a very nice university with an excellent teaching hospital. I prefer UQ-Ochsner, however, due to the clinical years spent at Ochsner. As an IMG, it is essential to have some of your year 3/4 rotations in the US if you want to practice in the US. It is near - if not entirely - impossible to gain acceptance to a residency program without rotations in the US. To be able to have all your rotations (with exception of the 8 weeks you must spend back in AUS) in the US and a majority of them at very reputable hospital is a gigantic advantage over most other IMGs. I am almost certain that this is why over 90% of this year's UQ-Ochsner class matched and why roughly 50% of Irish students who apply to the match actually match.

I will send off my massive deposit tomorrow. If I am then accepted to Ochsner at a later date, I will withdraw my acceptance to Ireland in a heartbeat, lose my deposit, and happily attend UQ.

Yeah, I know we likely won't hear anything until the end of next week, but I'm just hoping that I won't have to send off a substantial, non-refundable deposit tomorrow. It's going to kill my bank account.

I've been accepted to a school in Ireland. It's actually a very nice university with an excellent teaching hospital. I prefer UQ-Ochsner, however, due to the clinical years spent at Ochsner. As an IMG, it is essential to have some of your year 3/4 rotations in the US if you want to practice in the US. It is near - if not entirely - impossible to gain acceptance to a residency program without rotations in the US. To be able to have all your rotations (with exception of the 8 weeks you must spend back in AUS) in the US and a majority of them at very reputable hospital is a gigantic advantage over most other IMGs. I am almost certain that this is why over 90% of this year's UQ-Ochsner class matched and why roughly 50% of Irish students who apply to the match actually match.

I will send off my massive deposit tomorrow. If I am then accepted to Ochsner at a later date, I will withdraw my acceptance to Ireland in a heartbeat, lose my deposit, and happily attend UQ.

Irish is actually around 70% not 50%, but yes I agree with your general point. Having 2 full years of US clinical experience basically eliminates the "US experience red flag" IMGs usually have. Yes, Ireland is a first world country and has the facilities, procedures and patient population that is similar to the US, but there is no substitute for the real thing and as long as its not some crappy community hospital in a high crime area its better to take the US clinical option.

Irish is actually around 70% not 50%, but yes I agree with your general point.

I was basing my estimate on the 2013 match data compiled by UCD. It can be found near the bottom of the page here:

https://sites.google.com/site/nimsaucd/useful-files

It looks like the match percentages from the Irish schools for 2013 NRMP are 43%, 47%, 57%, 70%, and 60% (no students must have applied from one of the universities). To be sure, this is data from only one year, but some of those numbers are not comforting.

I was basing my estimate on the 2013 match data compiled by UCD. It can be found near the bottom of the page here:

https://sites.google.com/site/nimsaucd/useful-files

It looks like the match percentages from the Irish schools for 2013 NRMP are 43%, 47%, 57%, 70%, and 60% (no students must have applied from one of the universities). To be sure, this is data from only one year, but some of those numbers are not comforting.

I had data from all the irish schools and averaged it to around 70%, but yeah. Its hard to really calculate because of the number of Canadians who apply to both Canada and the US. Canada's match happens first so anyone matched to Canada is automatically withdrawn from the US match.

It is near - if not entirely - impossible to gain acceptance to a residency program without rotations in the US.

I matched at my #1 choice without any US experience and no US letters of recommendation (UQ (non-Ochsner) program, class 2012).

Perform well in medical school, have great interpersonal skills, and score high on the USMLE, you'll be fine.

Study to be a better doctor, not to match.

Study to be a better doctor, not to match.

I don't disagree with this. I believe it is possible to get a great medical education just about anywhere. The bias against IMGs, however, cannot be ignored. If presented with the option to perform the majority of my rotations in the US or not, I will do them in the States without a second thought.

I don't disagree with this. I believe it is possible to get a great medical education just about anywhere. The bias against IMGs, however, cannot be ignored. If presented with the option to perform the majority of my rotations in the US or not, I will do them in the States without a second thought.

I'd have to agree with you. What do you think about US DO vs. a program like UQ-Ochsner in terms of residency placements and practicing in the states? Some residency programs will obviously be more biased against DOs while some against IMGs. I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. I think there are pros and cons to both..

Just got an email from mededpath! They said they would hear back before the end of April! Great and nerve wracking news!!! Good luck everyone!

Thanks @sidefx, are you in the UQ-Ochsner program? If so, how are you liking it? Pros/Cons?

You're a freaking first year student not even 3 months into the program... Wait until you even pass the first mid semester exam before you go off talking about people who have actually completed the program.

The overwhelming majority of UQ MBBS graduates want absolutely nothing to do with the school, and there's a reason why.

Really, qldking? Like, you polled them? You really want to make claim as to what actual grads as I believe? In your special status as...what, a troll?

Are you not the same qldking who just above asked what 'global health' is (something pretty obvious to any UQ med student), and who in recent threads got spanked for making up 99% of his claims?

I completed the 4-year UQ program in Brisbane in 2012.

I very much enjoyed my time in Australia, both in my personal life and in a professional capacity. The education and training I received there was comparable, if not better, than training I would have received here in the states (in my opinion). To me, this is evidenced by my USMLE scores (standardized to other US and Canadian medical school examinees, with the SD and mean given on the score report), calibre of institutions offering me interviews, and my performance and outcome in the Match. I received offers and interviewed at places such as Dartmouth, Brown, NIH, University of Pittsburgh, University of Minnesota, University of Maryland; in the end I received a total of 17 interviews. I did not complete any rotations in the US.

The UQ program also afforded many opportunities for research. During medical school in Brisbane I published first author in genetics, presented at an Australian conference, received a scholarship in my area of interest, and was successful in passing a Royal College registrar exam (this particular exam is offered to final year medical students, if they choose). Additionally, many of my colleagues in my year were very successful in securing a training spot in either Australia, Canada, or the United States in the specialty of their choice.

Anyone's application was put on hold for being more than two years old? :( This is extremely frustrating as I thought the requirements were already panned out. I even asked Mededpath if they will change it and the answer was no. How can they change requirements AFTER you apply? Or I guess to be more accurate, how can they say we are re-confirming that MCAT scores taken more than two years ago will be accepted. It is all so up in the air??!? I'm super sad. If I had known about this I would have started studying months ago to retake the mcat. Anyone in the same situation as me? Thanks.

Anyone's application was put on hold for being more than two years old? :( This is extremely frustrating as I thought the requirements were already panned out. I even asked Mededpath if they will change it and the answer was no. How can they change requirements AFTER you apply? Or I guess to be more accurate, how can they say we are re-confirming that MCAT scores taken more than two years ago will be accepted. It is all so up in the air??!? I'm super sad. If I had known about this I would have started studying months ago to retake the mcat. Anyone in the same situation as me? Thanks.

I am in the same boat. It is insanely frustrating that they would change the requirements after releasing the application for this cycle. Heck, my MCAT is not even two years old as of now, but will be slightly more than two years old by the time of matriculation (I wrote the test in September 2012). I'm just hoping that they won't have received too many applications by the time they reconfirm - if they reconfirm - the timing for MCAT scores.

I'd have to agree with you. What do you think about US DO vs. a program like UQ-Ochsner in terms of residency placements and practicing in the states? Some residency programs will obviously be more biased against DOs while some against IMGs. I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. I think there are pros and cons to both..

As I said, I think you can get a great education just about anywhere (remember the education you receive in the classroom is by and large identical everywhere). I think if you work hard and do everything you can to put yourself in a position to succeed, you'll be just fine. That said, I think staying in the US and attending a DO school will probably make the journey a little easier. I agree that there is still a bias against DOs, but I believe it is disappearing much more quickly. As an anecdote, the last time I went to an ophthalmologist, it was a DO.

If I were you, I'd stay in the US and attend the DO program. You won't have the IMG status and you'll be attending a much more established program. I think the UQ-Ochsner program is great, but if I attend I also expect to explain it to many people in the future due to its recent inception.

@Xenophon Thanks for the response! I wrote the test Jan 2012 so mine will be three years old come 2015. My thinking is that if they're even debating changing the requirement, then they will? I mean, how difficult is it to decide a requirement like that, do they really need three months to figure it out? I'm just so frustrated with this right now. And they are being so vague as to when to the decision will be made. I'm going to try to talk to UQ directly as I'm not getting the answers I want from mededpath. I will post the info I find out.

Also @jntbco take the admission at Western. I'm reiterating this again because CA itself is hard to get into medical school. People would kill to get that spot. Also with the residencies for DO and MD converging, you should have no trouble getting the residency you want. UQ-O might be an exciting option, but at the end of the day it is a foreign school. Just do some research on residencies and IMGs and you will see the difficulties you face if you decide to go foreign.

@Xenophon, after some time on google I found this posted on April 1, 2014:

"A B average and MCATs of 8, 8, 8 taken in one testing sitting since January 2012 is the minimum requirement to be considered for entry."

From here: http://blogs.prehealth.buffalo.edu/bulletin/category/international-medical-schools/

Soooo....I don't see the problem. But, alas we are in the same boat. Just signed up to re-take it *sobs* Hopefully they decide soon whether or not to change the requirement.

@Xenophon Thanks for the response! I wrote the test Jan 2012 so mine will be three years old come 2015. My thinking is that if they're even debating changing the requirement, then they will? I mean, how difficult is it to decide a requirement like that, do they really need three months to figure it out? I'm just so frustrated with this right now. And they are being so vague as to when to the decision will be made. I'm going to try to talk to UQ directly as I'm not getting the answers I want from mededpath. I will post the info I find out.

I have no way of confirming this, but I think they are changing the MCAT time frame so that it is identical to that of the Graduate Australian Medical School Admissions Test (GAMSAT), the scores for which are only valid for two years. You can see this on the following link, which is for (non-Ochsner) admissions to med school at UQ:

http://www.uq.edu.au/study/?page=189904&pid=189901

I have no idea what they will choose to do, but I hope they retain the three year limit for MCAT scores, since we weren't informed of this before they released the applications. If they choose to keep the three year limit, I wouldn't be surprised if it is changed to two years in next year's application cycle, so that it is in line with the GAMSAT.