Anyone applying for 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the reply. This is my third consecutive cycle applying for med school. A few days after I wrote the above I got an interview invite from the school I did the SMP at but that doesn't guarantee I'll get in (plus it's all the way in November). I'm kind of tired of the rejection and know I can do well enough to land some residency even as an IMG. I'm not so picky with the specialty but it looks like from UQ's match lists so far that a couple of students have gotten some nice residency spots including gen surg and ortho so not totally impossible. Again a non issue because I'll probably be happy in any practice setting. Just keeping my options open, really have to get on with life at this point.

Posted using SDN Mobile

UQ is a good option actually, I would apply.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered DO programs?

UQ is a good option actually, I would apply.

Applied to DOs as well, but don't have a letter from a DO. They're being notoriously hard to get a hold of for some reason. Have 9 other recommendations though from physicians, employees and varying faculty. Already started the app for UQ and just waiting on transcripts to get in. Maybe I'll see you guys there!

Applied to DOs as well, but don't have a letter from a DO. They're being notoriously hard to get a hold of for some reason. Have 9 other recommendations though from physicians, employees and varying faculty. Already started the app for UQ and just waiting on transcripts to get in. Maybe I'll see you guys there!

Nine recommendations? Uh uq doesn't care about letters of rec. And usa schools don't accept that many do they? Jeez...lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Nine recommendations? Uh uq doesn't care about letters of rec. And usa schools don't accept that many do they? Jeez...lol

AMCAS accepts up to 10 separate ones. One of the nice things about an SMP is they write you a composite letter combining all your previous letters and more from the program into on big one. So technically it only counted as one.. UQ might not care but still doesn't hurt to send em one ;)

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Whatever you do, don't apply to UQ unless it's for Ochsner

The audit of internships was conducted by the National Medical Intern Data Management Working Group, which concluded that some 240 Australian graduates will not be offered a state or territory position.

More than 3676 medical students applied for 3210 internships and up to 100 Commonwealth-funded intern positions this year.

Among the applicants, 3004 were domestic students, 480 were full-fee-paying international students and 192 fell into other categories.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/heal...tage-looms-20140930-10o806.html#ixzz3FVyjjykV

'Interesting' article that starts out alarming (for a headline, apparently) before fleshing out some mild reality -- it becomes apparent immediately that "240" merely serves up the furphy, with 160 a more honest number (240 minus those who fail their final year or who do internship in a private hospital -- seems very strange to even mention the higher number first, until one considers the motivation for the article).

Yet even the 160 does not account for those int'ls who wouldn't stay but would be returning overseas for training (usu. in the middle of their internship here), and thus as is implied later in the article, is as meaningless to report as the 53 who supposedly "missed out" last year, when many spots went unfilled (i.e., the 53 chose not to continue training here).

Unfortunately, the reporting is so convoluted with the issues (not enough training spots? not enough public hospital training spots? not everyone staying? not enough domestic students?...), it misses an opportunity to flesh out any that *are* supported by the numbers, like...is it a bad thing that many int'ls come here to train and then choose to go home after graduating? That wouldn't be alarmist enough to interest the journalist who was fed the story, though.

Last edited:
Anyone else surprised the applications are closed so quickly?!

Anyone else surprised the applications are closed so quickly?!

I mentioned this ages ago in this thread, but I received an email at the end of November 2013 saying that spots were still open at Ipswitch to start January 2014.

Apparently, word about the program has spread.

Are you going? There's so much paperwork to do!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who were accepted or currently attend, do you know if there are possible research opportunities available?

For those of you who were accepted or currently attend, do you know if there are possible research opportunities available?
Just from speaking with Dr. Volpe, I know there are many opportunities to research, but you have to reach out. They aren't presented in a platter.

Just from speaking with Dr. Volpe, I know there are many opportunities to research, but you have to reach out. They aren't presented in a platter.

haha as with everything, I wasn't expecting to be fed with a silver spoon. Just was unsure if the research opportunities were restricted to the UQ domestic students. Good to know though since UQ is a research powerhouse. thanks

So, since UQ went from MBBS to MD starting in 2015, does that mean that it is considered masters level and not bachelors now, thus removing the work restriction for SO's?

Okay so I literally JUST found out about this program and am dying to apply. Here's my problem: applications are closed for 2016, which I realize starts in like 2 weeks, but my MCAT scores are from August 2012, so they would be too old for the next application cycle. I already have a DO acceptance for next year, but I LOVE to travel and have lived abroad multiple times and for this reason (which might sound crazy to some of you), this would be my top medical school choice. I saw some people have good luck with old MCAT scores; what do you guys think?

Okay so I literally JUST found out about this program and am dying to apply. Here's my problem: applications are closed for 2016, which I realize starts in like 2 weeks, but my MCAT scores are from August 2012, so they would be too old for the next application cycle. I already have a DO acceptance for next year, but I LOVE to travel and have lived abroad multiple times and for this reason (which might sound crazy to some of you), this would be my top medical school choice. I saw some people have good luck with old MCAT scores; what do you guys think?

I think they are firm about accepting MCATs three years old or less from when you want to matriculate. They already spent a couple months debating the issue and decided that. I don't think they're going to debate it again. So if you want to go in for 2016, you most likely have to take the mcat again.

If I was you, I'd take the D.O. acceptance. Why waste a year? You can go to Australia on vacation.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok. So, why do people still say there is a work restriction for spouses when it specifically says on the website that if you are pursuing a graduate degree there is no restriction.

This is directly from https://www.immi.gov.au/students/students/working_while_studying/conditions.htm

Dependent family members.
  • can work up to 40 hours per fortnight at all times
  • must not start work until the primary visa holder has commenced the course in Australia
  • have unlimited work rights if the primary visa holder has commenced a course towards a masters or doctorate degree and hold a subclass 573 (Higher education sector), 574 (Postgraduate research sector) or 576 (AusAID/Defence sector) student visa.

Last edited:
Guess you're right. Within Australia then it's considered a masters. But if you were to bring it back to the states though, it's definitely not a masters and would be recognized as a doctorate, same as the MBBS.

Actually in the US it's considered a professional degree, equivalent to a JD or a masters, not a PhD. But again, it is irrelevant to what I was getting at. Why do people keep saying that spouses have a work limitation if it's considered graduate work.

Actually in the US it's considered a professional degree, equivalent to a JD or a masters, not a PhD.
The MD in the US, like the JD, is also a 'professional doctorate'.

But again, it is irrelevant to what I was getting at. Why do people keep saying that spouses have a work limitation if it's considered graduate work.
Maybe because the MD degree is new, and the hearsay/bureaucratic-speak simply hasn't caught up.

Last edited:
So then there is no actual hourly limitation then? I would think that is the case since it says right on the visa form there isn't but I keep getting the opposite information which makes no sense.

So then there is no actual hourly limitation then? I would think that is the case since it says right on the visa form there isn't but I keep getting the opposite information which makes no sense.
For spouses, no. For you, yes.