Anyone applying for 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Xenophon, after some time on google I found this posted on April 1, 2014:

"A B average and MCATs of 8, 8, 8 taken in one testing sitting since January 2012 is the minimum requirement to be considered for entry."

I remember that was the requirement on the mededpath website as well. They must have changed the website since receiving the news from UQ - although their website currently does not list any time frame at all for the test.

I'm impressed that you are taking the MCAT again! How soon are you taking it and did you inform mededpath?

Members don't see this ad.

@Xenophon I signed up for June 21, hopefully two and a half months is enough time to study for it. I haven't informed mededpath yet. Just waiting to call UQ directly once Oz wakes up haha.

@Xenophon I signed up for June 21, hopefully two and a half months is enough time to study for it. I haven't informed mededpath yet. Just waiting to call UQ directly once Oz wakes up haha.

Good luck! I probably won't take it again, but I wish all the best to you. If we are really lucky, perhaps we'll hear good news from UQ well before your test, so you won't have to take it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an actual graduate as well.

Global health is an initiative for the privileged. Who can sit in a coffee shop and talk about saving the world. For the rest of us with loans it's more valuable to learn about actual medicine.

I would strongly encourage him to go to his hospital during CC or CCS and ask some registrars what they thought of UQs self directed learning

@foody and all, thanks for the insight. I actually haven't been accepted to Western yet.. my interview is next week (the last group to be interviewed this cycle) and I'm not even sure any seats are left. I might be interviewing for the waitlist. If I am accepted into Western for this year, that is where I'll go, I think it is an awesome school and OMM could be useful if I go into PM&R.. If not, however, I'll have some choices to make. I've been accepted to LECOM-Seton Hill and ATSU-SOMA, but I'm not really feeling those programs.. and could see myself being happier at UQ-Ochsner and again I like that global health is addressed in the curriculum and I would be studying with students from around the world. The IMG issues do concern me though.. as does the increasing tuition. I guess I should stop stressing over it until I know about Western.

It's very disconcerting that they would change the requirement after the first round of apps went in. Kinda makes me nervous that they could potentially change other requirements too. Was this an email you recieved from mededpath?

It's very disconcerting that they would change the requirement after the first round of apps went in. Kinda makes me nervous that they could potentially change other requirements too. Was this an email you recieved from mededpath?

Yeah the email was from mededpath. They said they are re-confirming the requirement. Not sure what the outcome will be. I would be kinda surprised if the other reqs changed, I think this just might be the one unfortunately.

I would be kinda surprised if the other reqs changed, I think this just might be the one unfortunately.

I agree. I don't think they will change any other requirements, primarily because they other applicants are supposed to receive decisions within the next three weeks. They would have heard something by now.

Foody, did you ever contact UQ directly about reconfirmation?

Yeah the email was from mededpath. They said they are re-confirming the requirement. Not sure what the outcome will be. I would be kinda surprised if the other reqs changed, I think this just might be the one unfortunately.

That really sucks. I really hope they keep they requirements the same for the MCAT at least for this cycle or at the very least make an exception for the applications that were submitted before the change.

Reactions: 1 users
That really sucks. I really hope they keep they requirements the same for the MCAT at least for this cycle or at the very least make an exception for the applications that were submitted before the change.

You and me both. You and me both.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey @Xenophon yeah I forgot to post what happened. UQ basically said the same thing as mededpath. But the timeline seemed shorter, the lady I spoke said it could possibly be a couple of weeks but it depends. She also wanted a quick decision made as there are 18 of us on hold. So basically sit tight :-/

Thanks for the update @foody. Did she by chance give any indication as to what they are probably going to decide?

@Xenophon she said she didn't know what they were going to decide, as they review things all the time< her words. I obviously made a joke about how they shouldn't change the requirement haha but it's not up to us as this point. I'm just guessing that if they've been reviewing it for some time, then it will happen. I'd be surprised if they didn't change it tbh. But mededpath's email seemed more positive and hopeful so I'm really not sure. I'm just rooting that it stays the same.

Members don't see this ad :)

Also [USER=607455]@jntbco
take the admission at Western. I'm reiterating this again because CA itself is hard to get into medical school. People would kill to get that spot. Also with the residencies for DO and MD converging, you should have no trouble getting the residency you want. UQ-O might be an exciting option, but at the end of the day it is a foreign school. Just do some research on residencies and IMGs and you will see the difficulties you face if you decide to go foreign.[/USER]

I would broaden your research on residencies a bit more and [B]see the equal difficulties you may face going DO[/B]. There's pros and cons to both.

So basically are we doomed to waiting for a month and a half until the UQ SoM makes a decision about whether they're going to take MCAT scores taken more than 2 years ago? (Possible run on sentence lol)

So basically are we doomed to waiting for a month and a half until the UQ SoM makes a decision about whether they're going to take MCAT scores taken more than 2 years ago? (Possible run on sentence lol)

Haha. Yeah basically. But I signed up to take it again because I don't want to miss this opportunity. I really wish all 18 of us on hold could make a fuss and bug them about possibly changing the requirement AFTER we submitted. I tried complaining to mededpath and UQ but I dont think Im talking to the people who make the decisions if you get what I mean. Will you retake it?

I tried complaining to mededpath and UQ but I dont think Im talking to the people who make the decisions if you get what I mean. Will you retake it?

I was told by mededpath that it is the faculty at UQ who will make the ultimate decision. Since you (or anyone who calls) were probably speaking with an administrator, I can't imagine that we could have much influence in the process.

I've decided that I'll likely sign up for the MCAT again as a safe measure and I'll probably schedule a seat for late June. Although the thought of studying for it again makes me want to punch myself in the face. Repeatedly.

I've emailed UQ directly yesterday, but haven't back as of yet. I am also most likely going to take the MCAT again in early July. I know the feels Xenophon...

I am going to keep checking my email with hope that they send out an update soon, and in the positive light. Good luck studying for the mcat friends. I cracked open a chemistry book today and it wasn't pretty.

Yeah, I am not looking forward to opening my books again. Alas.

As of now, neither mededpath nor UQ has listed any updated requirements. In case you haven't seen them, here are the UQ webpages for the old MBBS program and the new MD program:

MBBS
http://www.uq.edu.au/study/program.html?acad_prog=2332

MD
https://www.uq.edu.au/study/program.html?acad_prog=5579&year=2015#international

The MBBS page doesn't mention anything about time frame for the MCAT, although they do write, "The University is investigating structural changes to the medical program. It is anticipated that these changes will come into effect from 2015." The MD page doesn't list any requirement for the MCAT other than a score of 8/8/8.

I'm not sure if anyone finds these helpful or informative, but I thought I'd post them in case anyone is interested.

Last edited:
11 more days until the end of April! The wait is killing me. Hoping they won't wait until 4/30 to send out offers. Gahhhhhhhh

Best of luck!

@foody Hoping for good news for your guys' MCAT requirement also! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello~

First time SDN user here; glad I found this forum. I sent my UQ-Ochsner app 4/15, but seems I've missed the first batch send-off. Hope you all hear some good news soon!

Question: Has anyone here applied to any SMP's in the states? I've been offered admission to Georgetown and Loyola Chicago, but am being forced to quickly accept/deny my spot in the program with a significant deposit. I'm really hoping to get into UQ (for a whole lot of reasons), and obviously spending another year completing a medical master's, then applying to US med schools is not ideal....but Georgetown's reputation is also quite enticing. I was just wondering if anyone else is caught in a similar situation. Any thoughts? Thanks!

@nuggette, I've heard Georgetown's smp is an excellent program. With that said though, I do know a person in the program who mentioned some of his friends didn't get into medical school. But it's all heresay, it depends on the actual stats of the program. But I'd rather take it at Georgetown and try again in the US. If you don't get positive responses then you can always head to Oz a year later. In the long run a year of your life is not a big deal. At least you could try your best to make it in the US. I'm just trying to get into medical school as soon as I can because I have already invested two years trying to get into the US. So Oz is a good option for me personally.

@evangeline47 Well, it's after 5pm on Friday afternoon in NYC. I doubt they will be sending out any information later today or over the weekend. Looks like you might be agonizing until at least the 28th! Sorry, that sucks!

As for those of us waiting on the MCAT decision - they still haven't changed the instructions on the actual application from mededpath, which explicitly states that scores from January 2012 onward are acceptable. So that is somewhat encouraging... right?

@Xenophon, haha your optimism is encouraging. Ozztrekk, a service for Canadians to apply internationally and to UQ also doesn't say that the mcat requirement is changing. This makes me quite hopeful. I literally am going to pray to the Norse gods, Allah, Jesus, Buddha, the flying spaghetti monster whoever to keep this mcat requirement the same. With that said though, I don't think they are super vigilant about changing the application to reflect requirements. An example I give is although the program is being changed to MD, it still says MBBS on UQ and Mededpath's website in random places lol. So it's not like they go through their materials with a fine-tooth comb. I guess my hopefullness gets torn down when I realize they have been debating this issue for the last couple months. It could've been an easy conversation like, no lets not change it but it's being dragged out. Which makes me think they will change it to the reflect the gamsat expiration date. :-( BUTTT I'm just going to keep believing it won't get changed and also go nuts studying for the mcat. Good luck to you. And @studentoflife, if you hear anything yet by email from UQ, it would be awesome if you could update this forum. Or maybe I should just email them and drive them crazy haha :) Sounds like a plan right? We should get all 18 on hold to email the school about the requirement. 18 annoying emails.

Anyone heard anything yet? I thought they were going to let everyone in the first batch know by the end of April.

Anyone heard anything yet? I thought they were going to let everyone in the first batch know by the end of April.

I haven't heard anything, but I am in the group awaiting the MCAT decision.

Mmk, hopefully we'll hear back sometime next week!

My application was officially received by UQ on April 15 and I've yet to hear any results as well. I know it hasn't been long at all, but the wait is absolutely killing me. I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything. By the way did you guys send any recommendation letters or a personal statement? I didn't, even though I really wanted to. My admissions counselor said she didn't need any. Hopefully we hear something this week. Good luck everyone!

Got an email this morning saying applications are still being processed and the first offers will be made within the next few weeks :/ Could be looking at the end of May until we hear anything.

Another email from this morning said that UQ-Ochsner was unanimously approved for inclusion on California's list of recognized international schools. Good news! So UQ-Ochsner grads are now eligible for residencies and licensure in California.

Just got the acceptance email! Looks like we'll be classmates!
Congratulations to the both of you!! Best of luck and I hope we'll all be classmates! You both submitted your application on April 1st right?

Congratulations to the both of you!! Best of luck and I hope we'll all be classmates! You both submitted your application on April 1st right?
I submitted in march, immediately after the app was available

Congrats to both of you! Would the accepted students mind sharing their stats for those of us still waiting to hear back?

Congrats to both of you! Would the accepted students mind sharing their stats for those of us still waiting to hear back?
3.09 undergrad 3.77 post bacc
36 MCAT

Wow great job on your post bac and MCAT! I really hope they'll take the 3 year MCAT scores...