Anyone applying for 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Again, you're commenting in a UQ-Ochsner thread, no one cares about Australian internships.
But regardless, apart from the three most popular hospitals in the state (and, strangely, Bundaberg?), everything looks great! Logan and Ipswich are both half an hour driving distance from central Brisbane and have hardly any applicants.

Expect an onslaught of applications within the next 24 hours though...as in 300-500 more applications.

Members don't see this ad.

Expect an onslaught of applications within the next 24 hours though...as in 300-500 more applications.
qldking, we have been asked nicely to stop. Make comments that are relevant to the thread's OP, that aren't a barely concealed anti-Australian med rant, or back off.

Reactions: 1 user
@pitman, I have a 2.7 and 26 mcat..applied right when the app opened...got put on hold due to old mcat score (2012)...do you think I could still get in? Planning to retake it in July but only because they might change the requirement for when we can take the MCAT (three years old might not be accepted).
Whether they'll in the end accept an 'old' MCAT score is a process question more than anything, and I wouldn't know the answer (and I'm a bit bewildered as to why the change in process was considered necessary). The scores themselves seem reasonable, but absent a breakdown of recent years' entry scores, it's impossible to say your odds, and they will also depend on when in the admissions cycle (the ideal time not knowable to you) you applied.

Really the only more informed answer you could get is if there is a current 1st or 2nd year Ochsner student on the forum who knows a lot of his peers' scores (as a representative breakdown of that class as a whole). Don't listen to anyone who claims to know the answer with confidence though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just wondering what the basis of acceptance is. I have heard rumors that it is strictly MCAT-based and then I've heard that it's strictly when you get your application in - the sooner, the better. I have yet to hear of anyone getting rejected, so that's something hopeful, I suppose. :/

I've heard that its a combo of MCAT, Cumulative GPA, and how strong your essays are. The recommendations and CVs are used for finding internships and networking more than anything else. Best of luck!

This wait is brutal! It's been almost two months now since I've completed my application. Does anyone know how often they send out acceptances? I called and asked them a week ago and have also tried finding out from older threads but no luck. It's been two weeks since the last batch of acceptances. I hope we all hear something soon.

This wait is brutal! It's been almost two months now since I've completed my application. Does anyone know how often they send out acceptances? I called and asked them a week ago and have also tried finding out from older threads but no luck. It's been two weeks since the last batch of acceptances. I hope we all hear something soon.

It seems like acceptances come out when the admissions committee has time to meet. I don't believe they necessarily follow a strict schedule.

Just came across this forum. After applying this past January for the 2015 cycle, I finally got my acceptance email in May! Good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear back.

@Madi123, you applied in january....how if the app opened in March....and heard back now? Congrats your acceptance

@foody, thanks! I originally applied in January hoping they had spots for the 2014 cycle. Since that was full, they put my application into the 2015 cycle. So technically, MededPath had it as early as January but I don't think they sent it to UQ for review until March anyway. Hope that makes sense!

Just to add, a good resource is the paging dr forum. Highly recommended for those considering Australia for med. Much more reasonable conversation there without the pettiness that is prevalent here. General consensus tends to fall in line with what I've been saying.

Just to add, a good resource is the paging dr forum. Highly recommended for those considering Australia for med. Much more reasonable conversation there without the pettiness that is prevalent here. General consensus tends to fall in line with what I've been saying.

Nah man, pretty much every single consultant/registrar/house officer will tell you the tsunami is legit and a legitimate disaster and ruining the profession but a dude named pitman knows better than us all.

And now you're acting like a troll. Take your rant elsewhere.

There have been several concerns raised about thread and attacking other members. The OP was interested in the application process and advice for next year. I'd suggest we try to confine the answers to that question.

I realise that there are concerns about profit at some schools and revenue generation. At the end of the day, people realise the cost before attending. I have worked with both US and Australian graduates in both countries and it is the individual's interest in learning that sets them apart - not the school which they attended. Yes costs are more expensive as an international student in Australia, but this is a known issue before applying and indeed before matriculating.

Similarly, yes, there has been a substantial increase in medical school graduates in recent years. But the government has historically increased internship position to accommodate for this. While there is talk that these positions may be limited in the future, it is just that, talk. Any international student attending medical school here in Australia knows that an internship is not guaranteed with medical school admission, just as it is not guaranteed for an international student with a student visa in the USA to get a US residency. In Australia's defence, they have made many, many adjustments to ensure that internationals are given the opportunity for an internship - something that is not mandated, but, I believe, comes from the Australian value of giving each person "a fair go".

Perhaps new threads addressing these areas would be better than continuing it in this thread. If the bantering back and forth continues the thread may need to be closed.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with one of the admission officers for University of Queensland (SOM only, not UQ-Ochsner), and she said that as long you have the requirements, you are definitely considered for UQ-Ochsner, as the admissions process is very similar to UQ SOM (4 year MD in Australia). I expressed some worry that I may not get in, but she said that if anyone meets the requirements, they should be fine. It just depends on how fast it fills up, according to her. :/

@luckyely91

It sounds like you should be okay. You got your application in early, your uGPA is very strong, and you meet the MCAT requirement. In previous UQ-Ochsner threads, users have said that they knew of students at UQ who scored 24. If the admissions committee didn't want to consider applicants who scored 24, they would have set the limit higher.

Reactions: 1 users
@luckyely9 this is a long shot...but did she say anything about the mcat date?...also ive heard the same thing about admissions..keep positive!

@luckyely9 this is a long shot...but did she say anything about the mcat date?...also ive heard the same thing about admissions..keep positive!

She didn't say anything about the MCAT unfortunately. :( She just said that you need to have above an 8 in each section in one sitting, you should be good (hopefully). Let's stay positive!

Last edited by a moderator:
i thought you are allowed to have one 7 as long as the other sections are 8+ and above 24 total...

Reactions: 1 users
i thought you are allowed to have one 7 as long as the other sections are 8+ and above 24 total...
I was just about to write that lol, I asked my representative when I first applied (finished March 15) and she said the same....I got a 7 in verbal .

I was just about to write that lol, I asked my representative when I first applied (finished March 15) and she said the same....I got a 7 in verbal .

Lol, no you're right - it's what is indicated in the UQ-Ochsner requirements. Do you guys think a lot of people applied to this program?

Do you guys think a lot of people applied to this program?

It's hard to know for certain, but back on April 2, evangeline47 commented that about 40 applications were sent from mededpath as the first batch to UQ; however, on April 10, foody mentioned that 18 of us were on hold due to the MCAT decision.

That said, I received an email from mededpath on Nov. 26 of last year that stated that there were still openings at the Ipswich campus for a Jan. 2014 start. I would guess, however, that the program is becoming more popular each year, so I think it is hard to know at this point how many (qualified) people have applied.

When my application was confirmed almost three weeks ago, I was told 116 applications were under review (and that the class size is 120), so it seems to be filling significantly faster this year, but I can't be certain.

It made me nervous, too. I guess the only thing to do is wait and work on finishing the applications for the US schools.

Add me to the list of people who are nervous now. :( But why keep advertising that they are still accepting applications? They are having a webinar soon, and that will only attract more applicants... causing more people to apply. :(

Add me to the list of people who are nervous now. :( But why keep advertising that they are still accepting applications?

They will keep accepting applications until UQ tells them to stop, as not everyone who applies will be accepted and not everyone who is accepted will matriculate.

116 applications doesn't necessarily mean 116 spots are filled! Chin up!

Yes, what Xenophon said. Just because 116 are in doesn't mean they are all accepted.

But what if they all meet the requirements for admission? I suppose the fact that they want you to make a decision within 30 days may cause students to have cold feet and deny their offer? I'm not too sure. That's what made me kind of worry, because I am still interested in U.S. medical schools.

@luckyely91

Like I said, not everyone who is accepted will matriculate. They may decide that they don't want to live halfway around the world and choose not to accept the offer of admission. Or, someone may accept admission and pay the deposit only to receive admission to a US school later in the summer. If they choose to go to school in the US, they forfeit their deposit and their seat opens for another person to accept.

At this point, I think it is best to realize that you've done all you can (get good grades, take the MCAT, compose a strong essay, etc.) and that it now out of your hands. It sucks, but all you can do is sit back and try to relax.

@luckyely91

Like I said, not everyone who is accepted will matriculate. They may decide that they don't want to live halfway around the world and choose not to accept the offer of admission. Or, someone may accept admission and pay the deposit only to receive admission to a US school later in the summer. If they choose to go to school in the US, they forfeit their deposit and their seat opens for another person to accept.

At this point, I think it is best to realize that you've done all you can (get good grades, take the MCAT, compose a strong essay, etc.) and that it now out of your hands. It sucks, but all you can do is sit back and try to relax.
What essay? You're freaking me out. I never wrote an essay and was never asked for one (I even asked if we needed one). I just looked back at the application form I was asked to fill out and there was no mention of an essay there.

@panda532 if i remember correctly youre applying internationally right? The essay is only for uq-ochsner program applicants...

@panda532

I downloaded my application from the mededpath website here:

http://www.mededpath.org/admissions.html

On the last page, it asks for a statement of purpose and two short answer responses.
Great, now I have to call UQ. The form that my UQ representative attached did not have the first and last two pages. I even asked her several times if we needed essays since the application didn't seem comprehensive at all, at least I have all the e-mails as record. Did anyone else not submit essays or was told there were none?

@panda532 if i remember correctly youre applying internationally right? The essay is only for uq-ochsner program applicants...
I applied for the ochsner program, but yes I'm international and reside in the US. This makes no sense at all. I got an email on April 15 saying my application was complete. I even called to ask if they needed anything else. Has anyone that applied internationally to the UQ program written any essays?

I applied for the ochsner program, but yes I'm international and reside in the US. This makes no sense at all. I got an email on April 15 saying my application was complete. I even called to ask if they needed anything else. Has anyone that applied internationally to the UQ program written any essays?

Are you a us citizen or permanent resident? Just trying to figure out why they didn't send you the last two pages...if you are not then maybe thats why...essays only for us citizens/pr's....unless the international app has more..not sure...from what i know international app only consists of sending in mcat scores and transcripts..i could be wrong tho...hope you find your answer...

Do all applicants to Ochsner now go through Mededpath? If not, that could explain the use of two applications (one might be out-dated, or essays considered unnecessarily distracting to applicants if not used for admission but only for later placements...)

Do all applicants to Ochsner now go through Mededpath? If not, that could explain the use of two applications (one might be out-dated, or essays considered unnecessarily distracting to applicants if not used for admission but only for later placements...)

If you are a US citizen and permanent resident wanting to do the UQ-Ochsner program yes you only go through the mededpath. Recently mededpath has offered an application for internationals for the 4 year program in Australia. The essay are included in the UQ-Ochsner program application and they are not on the international application. There are international UQ representatives for almost every country and they have apps without essays so maybe someone can get confused as a US citizen and apply for the 4 year program instead of 2/2 in oz/usa. So I guess for @panda532 it depends what program they want to do, 4 years in oz or 2/2 oz/usa. I'm not sure how ozztrekk (for canadians) puts out the app with or without essays..? From my understanding all US citizens and PR's must go through mededpath in order to apply to UQ-Ochsner program. But this doesn't stop Us citizens from applying to the four year program in Oz as an international. Which could've happend to @panda532? The only other way someone could get rotations at ochsner is by applying as an 4 years in oz med student...not sure how long they get it for though. I know what I wrote was kind of confusing but maybe that clarifies things a little. By waiting so long for whether I get into the school or not, I have learned a lot about how to apply...lol

I stumbled across some information about the selection factor for UQ. This information is for the four year program at UQ (i.e. not UQ-Ochsner), but I imagine the selection factors are similar. Their website says that admission is based on the applicant's GAMSAT or MCAT score ("Applications will be selected on the basis of the GAMSAT (or MCAT) result."). You can find this information under the heading, "Entry Requirements for International Applicants" here:

http://www.som.uq.edu.au/about/organisation/doctor-of-medicine-degree-(md)-at-uq.aspx#What will the entry requirements be for the UQ MD Program?

Just thought I'd share some more info directly from UQ.

Edit: not sure why the link isn't working perfectly but you can find the info under the entry requirements topic at the top of the page

I just received an e-mail saying my application will be reviewed in September, for some reason? Anyone got the same e-mail?

I just received an e-mail saying my application will be reviewed in September, for some reason? Anyone got the same e-mail?

What?????? September????? I check my email like a madman and haven't heard anything. But now I will call Mededpath tomorrow and report back. Are you applying as an international student or UQ-Ochsner program student? That is such a long wait :-( At least they have given some information about your app to you. Good luck and thank you for the information.

If you are a US citizen and permanent resident wanting to do the UQ-Ochsner program yes you only go through the mededpath. Recently mededpath has offered an application for internationals for the 4 year program in Australia. The essay are included in the UQ-Ochsner program application and they are not on the international application. There are international UQ representatives for almost every country and they have apps without essays so maybe someone can get confused as a US citizen and apply for the 4 year program instead of 2/2 in oz/usa. So I guess for @panda532 it depends what program they want to do, 4 years in oz or 2/2 oz/usa. I'm not sure how ozztrekk (for canadians) puts out the app with or without essays..? From my understanding all US citizens and PR's must go through mededpath in order to apply to UQ-Ochsner program. But this doesn't stop Us citizens from applying to the four year program in Oz as an international. Which could've happend to @panda532? The only other way someone could get rotations at ochsner is by applying as an 4 years in oz med student...not sure how long they get it for though. I know what I wrote was kind of confusing but maybe that clarifies things a little. By waiting so long for whether I get into the school or not, I have learned a lot about how to apply...lol
I just got off the phone with UQ and the lady looked at my application for the ochsner program and she said everything is fine and I'm not missing anything which is a HUGE relief . It makes no sense to me as to why I don't have to submit essays, but whatever I'm glad. I also asked when I might get an answer (I can only vouch for my application) and she said my application is in the final stage and I'll probably hear back soon....maybe they'll send offers sometime next week?

I just got off the phone with UQ and the lady looked at my application for the ochsner program and she said everything is fine and I'm not missing anything which is a HUGE relief . It makes no sense to me as to why I don't have to submit essays, but whatever I'm glad. I also asked when I might get an answer (I can only vouch for my application) and she said my application is in the final stage and I'll probably hear back soon....maybe they'll send offers sometime next week?

When did you submit your application? I think I'm too antsy, but it would be a relief to know either way

Wasn't the waiting period supposed to be 6-8 weeks? Has it been longer than that for any of you?

Just sent in my application to Ochsner yesterday because... heck why not? It's free.
I'd prefer USyd but with the US Direct Loan on hold, I don't really know...

I've been to both Brisbane and Sydney and they are both fairly nice place, with Sydney's climate being slightly more tolerable.
I feel like I got here a bit late though... Oh well.

@nina.10.1992
@foody

I'm in the same boat as food, waiting for the MCAT decision.
As for the wait, well, today marks the completion of week 14 for me.