Anyone applying for 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I got an e-mail from Alex. When asked why my application has been set aside for review in September, she didn't answer my question - she just said, "there is a group of application decisions that have been held". So... I don't even know what that means. I guess my MCAT score wasn't good enough, though I got an 8 in all sections. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Alex. :/ See my above post. Anyone got a similar e-mail?
I'm trying to get in contact with Alex but haven't been able to... I wish that they can tell us, reject or accept so that we can go on with our applications to other schools...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, sorry I'm new to the forums but I've been skimming through all of the threads on UQ Oschner, and I have a few questions!

I am a reapplicant, with MCAT 11/11/11 and GPA 3.8 and good research/extracurriculars, and I'm wondering if this program is right for me. I've had people tell me that I shouldn't apply international with my stats, but I really don't have confidence that I can get into a US MD this cycle (or next cycle) for many, many reasons, and I don't want to go to DO.

I'd like to know more about the supposed stigma on international medical schools, and how will this affect my chances for a good residency? I'd ideally like a residency in California, and I don't know if they'd look unfavorably on UQO. I've had the worst time trying to locate the match lists for 2013 and 2014 grads of UQ Oschner, as well, so does anyone happen to have a link to those?

I've heard that the program involves a lot of independent study, which is fine with me, but have the UQO grads done reasonably well on the USMLE in spite of that?

Thanks in advance.

Alex. :/ See my above post. Anyone got a similar e-mail?
Did Alex tell you that your application was completed and will be sent to UQ before she sent you another email saying that your app will be reviewed in Sept?
I just got an email saying that my app was completed.

Hi, sorry I'm new to the forums but I've been skimming through all of the threads on UQ Oschner, and I have a few questions!

I am a reapplicant, with MCAT 11/11/11 and GPA 3.8 and good research/extracurriculars, and I'm wondering if this program is right for me. I've had people tell me that I shouldn't apply international with my stats, but I really don't have confidence that I can get into a US MD this cycle (or next cycle) for many, many reasons, and I don't want to go to DO.

I'd like to know more about the supposed stigma on international medical schools, and how will this affect my chances for a good residency? I'd ideally like a residency in California, and I don't know if they'd look unfavorably on UQO. I've had the worst time trying to locate the match lists for 2013 and 2014 grads of UQ Oschner, as well, so does anyone happen to have a link to those?

I've heard that the program involves a lot of independent study, which is fine with me, but have the UQO grads done reasonably well on the USMLE in spite of that?

Thanks in advance.

I mean you have amazing stats. Unless you have committed some felony I don't see why you wouldn't get in. Those are stellar stellar stats. It would be a waste if you went international. No reason why you wouldn't be accepted. Maybe you applied too late? You should elaborate friend.

Also in the group with the old mcats. Heard back that indeed there are no updates...haha..surprise surprise. I asked for a date for an response but have yet to hear back

I mean you have amazing stats. Unless you have committed some felony I don't see why you wouldn't get in. Those are stellar stellar stats. It would be a waste if you went international. No reason why you wouldn't be accepted. Maybe you applied too late? You should elaborate friend.

Hi, thanks for replying. No felonies, lol. I didn't apply late this year or last, but I am rather young if that makes a difference (20 years old), and this cycle will be my third application cycle. THIRD! To be fair, I applied way too narrowly my first time, and got no interviews. I then got interviews at only 10% of the schools I applied to last year and was waitlisted or rejected by every single one, which is disheartening to say the least.

Let's just say I'm another frustrated pre-med and I have lost confidence altogether in my abilities to get into medical school in the US.

I don't know if this applies to the uqo program, but I read that for the regular uq program, they accept based on mcat and decide between applicants with the same mcat based on gpa. This may not be why they said yours was held, just speculation.
Yeah, I got an e-mail from Alex. When asked why my application has been set aside for review in September, she didn't answer my question - she just said, "there is a group of application decisions that have been held". So... I don't even know what that means. I guess my MCAT score wasn't good enough, though I got an 8 in all sections. :(
I

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Bump to what @BubblegumPop linked to. You can also view the first class stats on the links to the right.

@lucina I think as far as international schools go...I'm sure there are some with better reputation for you. Not saying UQ isn't good or carbs aren't good but you have some amazing stats and that needs to be fully used to your advantage. Why not apply to some of the top medical schools in the world? Maybe oxford..cambridge..you know..? Unless you are Gung ho about coming back to California I would say sure why not Carib or uq. Both are good except I think uq is more respectful as its newer and hasn't had a chance to be looked down upon in a while.

On another note if I was you I would apply to all the md schools in the usa. Don't be choosy. You will get in somewhere if you've been waitlisted before. I have friends who have way lower stats and end up at good schools on the east coast. It could be you're not that strong in interviewing. What have the admissions told you to improve?

Did Alex tell you that your application was completed and will be sent to UQ before she sent you another email saying that your app will be reviewed in Sept?
I just got an email saying that my app was completed.

She notified me that my application was complete in early May, and then sent me that e-mail a few days ago.

It is summer break for them, it might be some time before anyone hears.

Actually, we're in finals week so next week will be the start of summer break. I can't say when anyone will hear anything back from UQ, but just to ease your minds, school starts again on the 7th of July for the SoM.

Thanks in advance.

The great thing about physiology, pharmacology, biochemistry, histology, anatomy, microbiology, pathology, etc... is it doesn't change regardless what continent you are on. The EKG for MI is the same, fetal circulation runs round the same tubes, and the pancreas makes the same exact stuff here as it does in the USA. Lots of students do use STEP1 material to study for UQ material.

I don't know if there is any stigma, maybe there is some but I have heard stories about PDs calling American medical students princesses compared to their Australian counterparts.

Last edited:
Has anyone received any updates recently? I haven't heard anything in weeks.

Hi guys,

Just joined the SDN here.. I've applied to several Australian universities. I was wondering though for UQ, whether anyone knows of someone who's been accepted in September/October? Is it common (seeing as a lot of students don't get their MCAT scores back until the fall after studying over the summer)? How many spots are there for internationals this year?

I'm completing my degree at the end of July so my final couple of marks wont be in until mid-late August- at which point i'll be able to apply.. What are my chances of getting in? My GAMSAT was a balanced 60 and my GPA on the Australian scale I think is around 6.4 (so it meets the hurdle). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Has anyone received any updates recently? I haven't heard anything in weeks.
Nope nothing. I also don't expect us hearing anything for like a month because of the summer break.

Hi guys,

Just joined the SDN here.. I've applied to several Australian universities. I was wondering though for UQ, whether anyone knows of someone who's been accepted in September/October? Is it common (seeing as a lot of students don't get their MCAT scores back until the fall after studying over the summer)? How many spots are there for internationals this year?

I'm completing my degree at the end of July so my final couple of marks wont be in until mid-late August- at which point i'll be able to apply.. What are my chances of getting in? My GAMSAT was a balanced 60 and my GPA on the Australian scale I think is around 6.4 (so it meets the hurdle). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
I do know one person who applied in October and got accepted after just ten days. Her scores were below average too. However, this was when the program first started and not many people knew about it. I think they already have more applicants than seats so it's really hard to say.

Has anyone accepted into the program and completed the forms/paid the deposits received their CoE? I received my receipt of ARO on June 4th and have yet to receive my CoE. Just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat.

Has anyone accepted into the program and completed the forms/paid the deposits received their CoE? I received my receipt of ARO on June 4th and have yet to receive my CoE. Just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat.

I also received my ARO around the same time and have not received my CoE yet either. I know of at least 2 others that have not received theirs either. Hopefully soon!

@green giraffe....Since I don't plan to join the FB group till accepted *hopefully*...can you give us non-fb people an idea of how many are planning to attend UQ? Did everyone in the group say yes and send the deposit?

Also, you guys prb haven't gotten the COE because the SOM is on vacation technically...I think they're back on july 7

I just got an acceptance letter, so we might hear other things before summer break is over

@green giraffe....Since I don't plan to join the FB group till accepted *hopefully*...can you give us non-fb people an idea of how many are planning to attend UQ? Did everyone in the group say yes and send the deposit?

Also, you guys prb haven't gotten the COE because the SOM is on vacation technically...I think they're back on july 7

I don't know how many people sent their deposit in, but there are about 25 people in the group right now....

Congrats to all those accepted! Anyone who is in the hold list for mcat date hear any news yet?

Also those accepted...want to chime in on what mcat score you have? Would be appreciated

How many total are they looking to take into the program?

I was accepted yesterday. Stats: 32 MCAT, 3.6 GPA.

3.0, 33 mcat... Maybe I messed up in college, but new start now

Whitney Bennett said they're taking 120

Reactions: 1 users
3.4 GPA and 29 MCAT. Also just received the CoE for those waiting for that. I sent my ARO June 4th so it took 4 weeks to get the CoE back to me. Best of luck to those still waiting.

My application was complete in early June, and I just got my offer today. So it was a lot faster than I expected, and the admission advisor was very nice. Good Luck, guys!

Are you guys referring to the MD program for the 2015 year at Queensland University Australia? I had my consultation in the beginning of June and they said I would hear back by the end of the month. But I have not heard anything as of yet! Anyone else in the same situation? For the same program?

Answers would be greatly appreciated since I am freaking out lol.

Are you guys referring to the MD program for the 2015 year at Queensland University Australia? I had my consultation in the beginning of June and they said I would hear back by the end of the month. But I have not heard anything as of yet! Anyone else in the same situation? For the same program?

Answers would be greatly appreciated since I am freaking out lol.

We are talking about the uq - ochsner program. For us there is no consultation. what are your stats like?

@Xenophon and others with the mcat date hold.....just spoke to UQ and they said a decision has been made. What the decision is I have no idea, the lady I spoke said she isn't allowed to say as of yet. She said she had to make a couple of phonecalls regarding communicating the issue to mededpath. She said we will find out SOON what the decision is. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND ALL OF YOU ON HOLD FOR THE MCAT DATE requirement TO CALL IN AND INQUIRE ABOUT IT. The more people making noise will get the information out sooner. I forgot to ask her what did soon mean in my excitement...so if someone could also ask how many weeks or days it will be that would be fantastic. Lets work together to figure this out!!!!! The lady I spoke to was very nice. Call International Admissions RIGHT NOW as it's afternoon in Australia. And say you're an UQ-Ochsner applicant, they will help you out. PLEASE HELP WITH MOVING THIS FORWARD. TAKE ACTION...DONT JUST READ THIS PASSIVELY. Lets all help each other!!!

Number: 61 3 8676 7004
Dial 011 before you make this call. Use skype or google voice. It's cheap!!!

Last edited:
Accepted!! Finished my app in April 15, 3.4 gpa, 27 (10,10,7V) mcat.

JUST ACCEPTED!!!!!!

3.1 GPA
26 MCAT (had a 7 in bio)

Also those accepted...want to chime in on what mcat score you have? Would be appreciated
Congrats! when was your application verified?

Yes, this is truly a miracle. I'm in shock. Especially since I found out that they make decisions primarily based on stats and that the NY office doesn't send our resumes, essays, or personal statement to the school until 3rd year....

My app was verified complete June 26

Yes, this is truly a miracle. I'm in shock. Especially since I found out that they make decisions primarily based on stats and that the NY office doesn't send our resumes, essays, or personal statement to the school until 3rd year....

My app was verified complete June 26
Wow congrats! Just made it by the minimums! When did you take the mcat?

Last June

I have been studying to take it August 1....Don't know what to do!!!!!

I would still take it if you've put in all that effort studying. And apply to D.O. schools. With a good MCAT score you could make it in the USA. Or a good postbacc program. But it is all up to you. Are you planning to apply to any other international schools?

I would still take it if you've put in all that effort studying. And apply to D.O. schools. With a good MCAT score you could make it in the USA. Or a good postbacc program. But it is all up to you. Are you planning to apply to any other international schools?

Not applying for any other international schools...I really am interested in this program because of the split. The program would work for me personally for many reasons. I've done a post bacc and I have already submitted many MD and DO secondaries this summer, but I feel like I won't hear back from most of them within the 6 week period I have to accept my UQ offer...