Anyone applying for 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been following this post on and off for a while, and am planning on applying to the program next year. It's my number one choice (I have my reasons), and would really like to optimize my chances of getting accepted.
But does anyone have any advice based off of what they have experienced this year during the application process?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been following this post on and off for a while, and am planning on applying to the program next year. It's my number one choice (I have my reasons), and would really like to optimize my chances of getting accepted.
But does anyone have any advice based off of what they have experienced this year during the application process?

Have as high a GPA and MCAT score as you can. From what I gathered from the webinars they put on, they are far more important than LOR, resume, etc.

Have as high a GPA and MCAT score as you can. From what I gathered from the webinars they put on, they are far more important than LOR, resume, etc.
What webinars are you referring to?

Members don't see this ad :)

As a current student, just get an 8/8/8 on the mcat and around 3.3 GPA and you're pretty much in. There's no LOR and the essays are easy to submit

As a current student, just get an 8/8/8 on the mcat and around 3.3 GPA and you're pretty much in. There's no LOR and the essays are easy to submit

Cool cool... I graduated with a 3.6 so that's not a worry. My MCAT is next Friday, and on the practice tests I've been scoring P9-10/V-5-7/B10-11. I mean I know those are just practice and anything could happen on the real test, but I struggle with verbal. I'll probably retake it if I don't go at least 8/8/8, but I've read some people who have gotten a 24 but with a 7 and have still been accepted. Do you know if they are all that strict about the 8/8/8 rule? Or if they would accept one 7?

Cool cool... I graduated with a 3.6 so that's not a worry. My MCAT is next Friday, and on the practice tests I've been scoring P9-10/V-5-7/B10-11. I mean I know those are just practice and anything could happen on the real test, but I struggle with verbal. I'll probably retake it if I don't go at least 8/8/8, but I've read some people who have gotten a 24 but with a 7 and have still been accepted. Do you know if they are all that strict about the 8/8/8 rule? Or if they would accept one 7?

You can't predict the MCAT at all. I was pulling off a 30+ average on Kaplan and official AAMC practice tests and ended up only getting a 26 (9/8/9) on actually sitting the exam. I would recommend taking it again if you don't get at a 8/8/8 at bare minimum, but try for better on your first try. You do not want to take it twice.

If you think in the future you will be able to look back and say, "I wish I would have studied a little harder/longer/better," then you should put out a little more effort or find more time to study. I can't stress how much you will not want to take the test twice. (I guess that advice is a little late for you considering you take it so soon.)

At least that's the way I felt. I knew I couldn't have studied any better for the exam. I don't know what happened on test day considering I was doing so well on practice exams (I actually just got a job offer from Kaplan a few days ago because my practice exams were so good).

Reactions: 1 user
You can't predict the MCAT at all. I was pulling off a 30+ average on Kaplan and official AAMC practice tests and ended up only getting a 26 (9/8/9) on actually sitting the exam. I would recommend taking it again if you don't get at a 8/8/8 at bare minimum, but try for better on your first try. You do not want to take it twice.

If you think in the future you will be able to look back and say, "I wish I would have studied a little harder/longer/better," then you should put out a little more effort or find more time to study. I can't stress how much you will not want to take the test twice. (I guess that advice is a little late for you considering you take it so soon.)

At least that's the way I felt. I knew I couldn't have studied any better for the exam. I don't know what happened on test day considering I was doing so well on practice exams (I actually just got a job offer from Kaplan a few days ago because my practice exams were so good).

Awesome thanks for the great advice!

As Steele mentioned definitely try to get as high of a score if you can on the MCAT.

As for the scores to get into UQ, a lot of students have scores around 8/8/8. I don't know how strict UQ is regarding the rule, but I would imagine getting one 7 is ok, but if you have two 7s it would be nice to have the third score at least a 9. Like all other "chance me" threads we can only speculate what is going on in admissions, but one thing for sure is that they are quite lenient on your MCAT scores (at least for SDN standards) for admisions.

I don't know how strict UQ is regarding the rule, but I would imagine getting one 7 is ok, but if you have two 7s it would be nice to have the third score at least a 9. Like all other "chance me" threads we can only speculate what is going on in admissions, but one thing for sure is that they are quite lenient on your MCAT scores (at least for SDN standards) for admisions.
Be careful with specifics here, Struvite -- there's no reason to believe that you can have two 7s, let alone how they could be "countered" by GPA. While all else being equal it's going to be better to have a higher GPA than the stated cutoff if you have a mere 24 on the MCAT, there is no known rule of thumb wrt what GPA is needed, as the samples are self-selected and too small.

Again, keep in mind that UQ uses rolling admissions. That means it is NOT a sure thing to get in with an 8/8/8 MCAT. It will additionally depend on when you apply in the season relative to the other pending applicants and the number of spots remaining when you apply. From anecdotes, many 24s do indeed get in, but there are those with reasonable GPAs that haven't.

Be careful with specifics here, Struvite -- there's no reason to believe that you can have two 7s, let alone how they could be "countered" by GPA. While all else being equal it's going to be better to have a higher GPA than the stated cutoff if you have a mere 24 on the MCAT, there is no known rule of thumb wrt what GPA is needed, as the samples are self-selected and too small.

Again, keep in mind that UQ uses rolling admissions. That means it is NOT a sure thing to get in with an 8/8/8 MCAT. It will additionally depend on when you apply in the season relative to the other pending applicants and the number of spots remaining when you apply. From anecdotes, many 24s do indeed get in, but there are those with reasonable GPAs that haven't.

point taken. I was basing the reasoning off info that was on the medpath website when I initially applied a couple years ago that if you have one 7, the adcoms will look into other factors that will overlook your score. Not sure if the statement still exists on their website.

I say the best way to find out is just apply; after all there arent any primary/secondary application fees to apply to the program

I got accepted with a 7 in one section (overall 26)

Just got accepted today! Really psyched, but I won't be able to see if I got into any US schools...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted today! Really psyched, but I won't be able to see if I got into any US schools...

Who knows, you might hear from somebody in time. Seems like it's easy to get most of your tuition deposit back if you let them know a few weeks in advanced that you won't be attending.

I'm going to join in the good news crowd here [Accepted].
Although USyd is preferable for me, it is good to know I will have something to do in the coming year.
We'll see what happens to USyd's Direct Loan debacle.

For those accepted what are your gpas?

@derpina
I only have about a month and a half to respond to the acceptance, which is wayy earlier than I would be hearing back for potential interviews.

@Legloom
So could I enroll and then back out it'd I hear something from a US med school in time?

@foody
I had a 3.25 cGPA

@derpina
I only have about a month and a half to respond to the acceptance, which is wayy earlier than I would be hearing back for potential interviews.

@Legloom
So could I enroll and then back out it'd I hear something from a US med school in time?

@foody
I had a 3.25 cGPA

You can enrol then back out of UQ if you found out if you got into a US med school anytime. I know a couple people backed out in March this way because they found about they got admitted to somewhere in the States.

@derpina
Of course, I wouldn't risk it, but I remember that time-frame being how long they will try to hold your seat, as in, if there are 100 seats and 100 acceptances, they will wait until 45 days to send out another acceptance, at which point whoever sends in the confirmation first gets the seat.

Again, wouldn't risk it, but fully understand. Struvite is right also in what you can do.

You can enrol then back out of UQ if you found out if you got into a US med school anytime. I know a couple people backed out in March this way because they found about they got admitted to somewhere in the States.

Don't classes start in February? So they were already in Aus when they backed out?

There are people who have left and restarted med school at a US school as late as a few weeks into second year second semester (after doing over a year and a half of classes).

There are people who have left and restarted med school at a US school as late as a few weeks into second year second semester (after doing over a year and a half of classes).

well that's reassuring....

well that's reassuring....

I think I actually know the person you're talking about who left after a year and a half haha.
The program is whatever you want to make it out to be. Different people will give you different reason and/or excuses as to why we are all here ranging from "I like the global aspect" to "it's a safety school and there's no where else I got in." I think the best "general" advise given (I'm assuming) that you guys haven't been to australia before--much less studied a pre-professional major outside of the U.S.-- is that:

You need to stay focused, be prepared for an educational system that is different really caters to Australians (<--You should always keep this thought in mind), be prepared for a lot of independent studying, and be confident in your communications skills not only in how you talk with people one-on-one but also to Australians who may understand common phrases and words differently and evenly offensively (I personally got dinged on this part a couple of times haha).

I don't think we have the same stigma as a carib school, but at the same time, at least a carib school will tend to focus more on the USMLE.

Last edited:
I think I actually know the person you're talking about who left after a year and a half haha.
The program is whatever you want to make it out to be. Different people will give you different reason and/or excuses as to why we are all here ranging from "I like the global aspect" to "it's a safety school and there's no where else I got in." I think the best "general" advise given (I'm assuming) that you guys haven't been to australia before--much less studied a pre-professional major outside of the U.S.-- is that:

You need to stay focused, be prepared for an educational system that is different really caters to Australians (<--You should always keep this thought in mind), be prepared for a lot of independent studying, and be confident in your communications skills not only in how you talk with people one-on-one but also to Australians who may understand common phrases and words differently and evenly offensively (I personally got dinged on this part a couple of times haha).

I don't think we have the same stigma as a carib school, but at the same time, at least a carib school will tend to focus more on the USMLE.

Honestly the way I see, it sounds like the curriculum, as I've read, isn't catered to the USMLE, however, regardless of where one ends up going he/she is going to have to work their a** off anyways. Sure it may take some extra independentt work than other people at other schools, but nothing ever comes to anyone lazy.

I'm also kinda stoked their figuring out a way to make it more research based since I'm kinda interested in that as well.

what are some aspects that make studying medicine in Australia better than doing so in Canada?

what are some aspects that make studying medicine in Australia better than doing so in Canada?

The educations are the same, the basic difference is that if you want to be in Australia then go to Australia, and if you want to be in Canada, then study in Canada. But education is the same everywhere-e.g. it's a scam

The weather in Australia is probably better. More beaches. If you're from North America, Canada is probably a little cheaper to attend (lower flight costs, etc.)

Anybody from the "old" MCAT group hear anything yet?

I did. I got accepted a few days ago. I took the mcat august 2012

I got in. Took it in Jan 2012. Good luck to all those waiting...I have a feeling UQ does acceptances in small batches.

Reactions: 1 users
I got in. Took it in Jan 2012. Good luck to all those waiting...I have a feeling UQ does acceptances in small batches.
When were you accepted, and what were your stats?

Applied in March and sent my application two days after it opened. Accepted Monday (July). undergraduate gpa 2.6, graduate gpa 3.3 mcat 26 and waiting on my new score which should be out in three weeks. They only used my graduate gpa for admissions as undergraduate wasn't high enough.

I also recommend asking mededpath where you rank in terms of priority. For mcat and time you applied. Both these determine how fast you get an offer I think.

Another edit. Haha. I really believe that as long as you meet the minimums to apply (2.67 gpa and 24 mcat) and you apply early enough you will get in. Also how many spots are available as well. Ask mededpath how many have decided to matriculate and how many have been sent an offer. Don't let they approximate the numbers or say a lot...they have the exact numbers it just takes them a while to find them. Otherwise be patient and most likely you will get in unless spots are filling up fast. I know Thea advised me to take my new mcat by the end of July in time for a spot in the program. This would imply that by August sometime spots will be filling fast. I wish everyone the best of luck the waiting sucks as hell but once you're in you don't even care. I have stalked these forums way too much for info but now can be done with it all haha. Also don't feel bad calling mededpath all the time or even UQ directly. Be polite but aggressive. They will help you as its their job. Good luck to all. Hope to see everyone down unda'

Another another edit. Then I'll go :). I read somewhere online that Oz schools rank those with masters higher on the admissions list. This also could have been a reason why I heard earlier than other waiting with just undergraduate gpas but merely my speculation.

Last edited:
Congrats @foody, the one who started it all (as far as this thread goes anyway lol). For those of you who were accepted, what is the likelihood of y'all going?

congrats @foody ! just got my mcat scores back and scored 21 :( . I really took it way before I was ready. Need to retake and hopefully see you down there at some point. I'm not giving up, just hoping I can get a decent score before the whole MCAT changes next year. I have another year in my MPH program anyway so I have time before trying for australia again.

Congrats @foody, the one who started it all (as far as this thread goes anyway lol). For those of you who were accepted, what is the likelihood of y'all going?

99%! Just having a hard time getting the money for the deposit together after spending my savings for other applications :(

@mcat_taker no not yet. I don't think I'll have a chance at either bc my mcat isn't high enough. But I'm planning to attend UQ even if I somehow get into the others. It's a lucky opportunity to go back to the US.

Accepted. 27 MCAT (10/10/7Bio). GPA was kind of weird. Overall it was 3.067 with a BCPM of 3.398. But I also had 194 credits from post-bacc stuff and my initial college career being undecided (and 12 credits/entire 2nd semester failed). My last 55 credits, which most of the credits were BCPM, my BCPM was 3.671 and my overall was a 3.693.

Accepted. 27 MCAT (10/10/7Bio). GPA was kind of weird. Overall it was 3.067 with a BCPM of 3.398. But I also had 194 credits from post-bacc stuff and my initial college career being undecided (and 12 credits/entire 2nd semester failed). My last 55 credits, which most of the credits were BCPM, my BCPM was 3.671 and my overall was a 3.693.
Congratulations! I'm so jealous! Can I ask when you were accepted? I called and they said they haven't received any acceptances today.

Hello,

I plan to apply for UQ-Ochsner- January 2016 matriculation. What is the application timeline like? I plan to apply as early as possible. Does the application open in February 2015 for January 2016 start? When do acceptances begin to be released?

Ideally I'd like to apply ASAP after January 2015 and know of acceptance or rejection ASAP. Was anyone acceptance before April?

Last edited:
Hello,

I plan to apply for UQ-Ochsner- January 2016 matriculation. What is the application timeline like? I plan to apply as early as possible. Does the application open in February 2015 for January 2016 start? When do acceptances begin to be released?

Ideally I'd like to apply ASAP after January 2015 and know of acceptance or rejection ASAP. Was anyone acceptance before April?

+1 this :D

Hello,

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that applications opened in late March. After submitting transcripts/scores and a filled out application, you may hear back as soon as May (I believe that's when people started to hear back this year, maybe early June). I don't think the essays have changed much, so you can check them out on the website if you want to apply early.