Anyone applying to D.O, M.D, and D.P.M Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlleghenyPOD

1st Year MD-bound
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just wanted to know if there were any other pre-podiatry students were were applying to other schools of medicine such as allopathic, and osteopathic schools aside from the podiatry schools? I know that I have some friends who are pre-podiatry students like myself who are getting ready to apply to DO, MD schools as well as DPM schools.

What do you guys think about that? Anyone in the same boat as us?

Here are the Osteopathic Schools that I'm currently looking into:
1. Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
2. Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
3. Michigan State University: College of Osteopathic Medicine
4. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
5. Nova Southeastern
6. UMDNJ: SOM
7. Touro College of Osteopathi Medicine

Some Allopathic Schools that ive considered so far:
1. Temple University
2. Drexel University
3. UMDNJ
4. Penn State
5. SUNY

DPM Schools that I've strongly considered (want to get into)
1. Temple University College of Podiatric Medicine
2. Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine
3. Barry University
4. Scholl College
5. AZPod
6. DMU
7. New York College of Podiatric Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Jesus H
I only looked at and applied to two schools when I got out of undergrad.:D

Jesus H
I only looked at and applied to two schools when I got out of undergrad.:D
Yep... same here^ ... well, 3 schools, I guess.
I sure didn't have that unlimited budget to jet-set around and apply to tons of schools and programs. I got waitlisted for MD, accepted for DPM, and accepted to a MS perfusion tech program.

Then again, if you go to Allegheny, I'm fairly sure you have more $ for apps and travel than I do lol. Just out of curiousity, is Dr. Persichini (o-chem) still there? He was doing an internship as an associate prof at my undergrad when I first started, and then he left to Allegheny...

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings Feli,

Yes Dr. Persichini is an assistant Professor of Organic Chemistry here in Allegheny and is currently doing research on synthetic methodology, organoboron chemistry, and the synthesis of natural and unnatural products. To that end we are currently involved in two major areas; the synthesis of boron-containing heterocycles (1) for use in tandem coupling-cyclizations that result in isoquinolines (2) (Scheme 1), and enantioselective C-C bond formation via intramolecular boron-mediated transfer reactions. We are currently in the process of utilizing the aspects highlighted in Scheme 1 for the synthesis of PD-0183783 a potent anti-hypertensive compound, and using a 1,3-Boron mediated intramolecular transfer for the synthesis of propargylic alcohols (3) (Scheme 2). I've taken both of his Organic classes as well as one of his upper level chem class for independent study. He's really good because he challenges students to 'learn' for themselves yet he's always around if you ever have questions..which he will explain whole-heartedly.

You took o-chem with him as well?

On the comment of Allegheny; yea its a great school but the amount of money we pay for an Allegheny education is too much...39k a year is too much for undergrad, methinks. :eek:

Where did you go undergrad, mate?

Regards,

PJ is the man

...You took o-chem with him as well?...

Where did you go undergrad, mate?...
No, I took Intro to Gen, Org, and Biochem I & II with him as a freshman back in 2000 (had to take those chem classes first because I had never taken chemistry in high school - just physics and anat). I went to UMD for undergrad like it says in my profile; Persichini was just out of school and working there for a couple years. I got "A"s in his classes and felt pretty well prepared for higher level chem classes after that (except quant and p-chem judging from my transcript lol).

39k per year for undergrad? Wow... I'm pretty sure that all of my ~130 undergrad credits at my state school cost less than that combined. I hope you have scholarships/grants, or you will be at the student loan cap before you even get to grad school :eek: . I guess it might be worth it for small class sizes and accessible professors if you have the money; everyone's situation is different.

Hi guys,

I just wanted to know if there were any other pre-podiatry students were were applying to other schools of medicine such as allopathic, and osteopathic schools aside from the podiatry schools? I know that I have some friends who are pre-podiatry students like myself who are getting ready to apply to DO, MD schools as well as DPM schools.

5. Nova Southeastern

1. Temple University
2. Drexel University
3. UMDNJ
4. Penn State
5. SUNY

3. Barry University
4. Scholl College
5. AZPod
6. DMU

Wow, you are considering a lot of schools. I noticed that you are applying to almost all of the MD/DO schools in the NJ and PA except for Jefferson, Univ of Penn and Univ of Pittsburgh. You also listed SUNY in your list. Are you a resident of New York? SUNY takes significant amount of students from New York since the four SUNY medical schools are state funded.

Hi guys,

5. Nova Southeastern

1. Temple University
2. Drexel University
3. UMDNJ
4. Penn State
5. SUNY

3. Barry University
4. Scholl College
5. AZPod
6. DMU

It seems from your lists that you are not sure what you want to do. I would do some soul searching before interviewing. If you want to be a pod then apply only to pod schools because since the acceptance rate is high you will not need to worry about a fall back into MD or DO, that is if you truely want to be a pod.

If you are unsure of what field of medicine you want to do then aim for MD or DO and choose as you go what you want to specialize in.

It seems like over kill to apply to so many schools. If you have the MCAT scores and GPA for the MD and DO schools that you are applying to then you will get into a pod school.

I do not understand your thought process of speding so much money in application expenses?

These are only schools that I would consider applying to, I'm not going to actually apply to all of them, I dont have that much money to send apps to all of them, lol.

First of all, I am strong pre-podiatric based, but I just want to see if I can get into osteo and allo schools. When it comes down to application process, i will apply to all pod schools and probaby 3 osteo schools and probably 3 allo schools. If I had to choose between an acceptance letter from a DPM school, DO school or MD school; I would pick the DPM school.

Tho I know people in my college who plan to apply to over 25+ med schools. I know a guy who's graduating this year who applied to 32 medical schools (allo, osteo) and was given 18 acceptance letters. He's currently waitlisted to U Penn School of Medicine--but is in the upper tier of the wait list group. Talked to him today and said that if he cant get into UPenn's seat, then he'll accept the offer to Georgetown School of Medicine and reject the other 17 medical school offers.

Talk about 'choosing the best egg' eh? :rolleyes:

On the comment of Allegheny; yea its a great school but the amount of money we pay for an Allegheny education is too much...39k a year is too much for undergrad, methinks. :eek:

Where did you go undergrad, mate?

Regards,

This will probably make me some enemies, but I pay about 3000-3500 a year for undergrad :laugh: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a full tuition academic scholarship, recieve 1950 per semester as a pell grant and 2000 per semester as a SMART grant. looks like I pay -7900 per year and win.:laugh:

Well if you judge things by you get what you pay for then you guys lose and the overpriced universities produce much better students. So that means War Eagle got a negative education. So who wins now?:laugh: :laugh:

well, say what you want but saving 90k makes me feel good when im about to throw down 100k+ for pod school

I have a full tuition academic scholarship, recieve 1950 per semester as a pell grant and 2000 per semester as a SMART grant. looks like I pay -7900 per year and win.:laugh:

You win. I didn't receive any grants but lets compare total finanical aid. I got $~18000 for the full ride scholarship and $500 athletic scholarship. So I was about 18500/yr. What about you?

i got 23k a year in tuition monies

You win. I didn't receive any grants but lets compare total finanical aid. I got $~18000 for the full ride scholarship and $500 athletic scholarship. So I was about 18500/yr. What about you?

ok, so in that regard I'd have to give you the upper hand.:thumbup:

Well if you judge things by you get what you pay for then you guys lose and the overpriced universities produce much better students. So that means War Eagle got a negative education. So who wins now?:laugh: :laugh:

Well I scored in the 100th percentile on the ACS Organic Chemistry National Exam. If a negative education can produce those results, I'll take it anyday.

Well I scored in the 100th percentile on the ACS Organic Chemistry National Exam. If a negative education can produce those results, I'll take it anyday.

That is awesome. I scored in the mid 90s. What was great about it is I had to talk to the professor b/c he was mad. I got a C+/B- in the class and he wanted to know why. I told him that I didn't like doing homework in college; losing those points is what put me in the C range. He said he never had a student waste more smarts than me. :thumbup:

As you can gather, there weren't too many bars/parties I missed in college.

Well I was emperor of the whole universe and gave myself free undergrad plus an extra 5k/month, so actually-I win.

I got 120 grand in medical school paid for.

Well, O-chem is a negative subject for most anyways except for me because I liked it, so good job. You have proved that brains mixed with any education can come out on top.:laugh: :laugh: (I hope everyone knows I have been joking the whole time)

How did you pull that?
There's always $ for you if your grades are good enough and/or you do research.

You - and other top pod students - should be going after some PICA, FPME, APMSA, and whatever other pod and other scholarships are out there for you (home state, gender, race, religion, etc scholly funds). Try fastweb.com too if you're bored... all kinds of general scholarships.

I still cant believe some of you paid for a 3500 a year education. What schools where they, if you dont mind me asking?:idea:

i got 23k a year in tuition monies

Very nice. I didnt take that much loans, parents are paying for most of the tuition. What really sucks is that both my sister and I go to Allegheny, LOL. So my parents are paying a good 40k+ a year for both of us.

Btw, did you get any loans for OCPM?

Wow, you are considering a lot of schools. I noticed that you are applying to almost all of the MD/DO schools in the NJ and PA except for Jefferson, Univ of Penn and Univ of Pittsburgh. You also listed SUNY in your list. Are you a resident of New York? SUNY takes significant amount of students from New York since the four SUNY medical schools are state funded.

No good sir, I am not a resident of New York. However, I am a resident of the great state of New Jersey yet attend undergrad in Pennsylvania. Thanks for the keen advice, btw. :thumbup:

Just out of curiousity, is your school preference MD->DO->DPM or something else? Have you wittled down your app. list any?

Good luck!!

PS. Is that 40k you pay tuition, fees, room and board, or just tuition and fees? I pay 5k, including room and board (gotta love merit scholarships!).

I agree with what Biogirl just said. You should make a list of all the reasons you want to enter medicine. Think about/make a list of shadowing experiences, volunteering, personal experiences in your life and see what that leaves you with. Does any of it have anything to do with working with feet for the rest of your life? (elderly population, diabetics, have you had severe foot problems yourself) Or does it show you that you have a desire to treat patients on a personal level, as a 'whole patient', rather than treating just their problem or organ in pain (the D.O. philosophy). Or maybe your personal experiences, etc. show you that you are neither podiatry nor D.O. and you just want to be an M.D. Really though, don't just apply to every type of school 'just to see if you can get in'. When it comes to interviewing, you're going to want to have some passion and personal desire to show your interviewers why you want to enter their aspect of the medical profession. If you're not sure after writing all of this down, then I suggest you shadow many types of docs and see which fits your goals and beliefs the best. Good Luck!:D

Just out of curiousity, is your school preference MD->DO->DPM or something else? Have you wittled down your app. list any?

Good luck!!

PS. Is that 40k you pay tuition, fees, room and board, or just tuition and fees? I pay 5k, including room and board (gotta love merit scholarships!).

Yes I have listed down the schools I will be applying to and from the look of things I will be applying to about 20 schools. As I said before I identify myself as a pre-podiatry student and if I had to choose between a school of podiatry, osteopathy or allopathy, then I would initially go for the podiatry school. However, some factors that I've been considering since early this year was the aspect of lower extremity orthopedics in the allopathy/osteopathy schools. The reasons why I'm really why im considering this is that most of the podiatric surgeons who i've talked to did the same things when they were in undergrad and told me to 'feel everything out' and 'apply to schools that you want to as well as schools as a 'net' just in case". My pre-health advisor also told me that changes take place in medical student's interests and ive taken into consideration not only podiatric medicine proper and surgery, but also lower extremity orthopedic specialty in allo/osteo schools. And believe me ive had vast experiences in volunteering, externing, preceptorship ranging from pulmonology, family practice, geriatrics, gastroenterology-internal medicine and orthopedics/podiatry. From my experiences so far, I have a rather strong interest in lower extremity care, either it be in the field of allo/osteo or podiatry, i will find out in a couple of months during post application process.

Oh yea on tuition, check this page:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/directory/brief/drglance_3230_brief.php

Our tuition this year was at ~$28,000 and books for me was around ~1000, room and board was around $8000. Then add in taxes and food costs etc. It is expected to 'rise' for next year from what I've heard, to the 40k range.

Yes I have listed down the schools I will be applying to and from the look of things I will be applying to about 20 schools. As I said before I identify myself as a pre-podiatry student and if I had to choose between a school of podiatry, osteopathy or allopathy, then I would initially go for the podiatry school.

So your applying to all of those schools hoping to get into an MD or DO program to do Ortho? Right?

And if you don't get into anywhere then you'll chose podiatry?

No not at all. Depends on the school.

I am also need of some advice. I am currently an incoming student to DMU (CPMS). For the last year I was "sure" I wanted to be a podiatrist but know I am having some doubts. On the other hand, I fear I am only looking for more prestige or that I just believe the grass is greener on the other side. As of right now, my plan is to apply to D0 and MD schools in the midwest and make my decision before interviewing or after acceptance while going to school. Would continuing pod school look bad to other schools?

I know many of you have suggested before for students not to "waste" 30,000 dollars and take a year off to consider things. However, then i would be reapplying to Pod schools and md/do school. This would mean wasting a year that I would have spent learning useful 1st year material to make my future 1st year GPA better and a chance for me to mingle with other students in DPM and DO programs.

I have tons of exposure to MD DO and DPM as I work at Broadlawns hospital as CNA on the medical, surgical, and pediatrics floor.

Any thoughts of what I should do? I like podiatry but I can't really know that I will like it more than many other specialties unless I actually doing it. I do know that the medical field is for me (I've been working in it for 2yrs and love it).

I am also need of some advice. I am currently an incoming student to DMU (CPMS). For the last year I was "sure" I wanted to be a podiatrist but know I am having some doubts. On the other hand, I fear I am only looking for more prestige or that I just believe the grass is greener on the other side. As of right now, my plan is to apply to D0 and MD schools in the midwest and make my decision before interviewing or after acceptance while going to school. Would continuing pod school look bad to other schools?

I know many of you have suggested before for students not to "waste" 30,000 dollars and take a year off to consider things. However, then i would be reapplying to Pod schools and md/do school. This would mean wasting a year that I would have spent learning useful 1st year material to make my future 1st year GPA better and a chance for me to mingle with other students in DPM and DO programs.

I have tons of exposure to MD DO and DPM as I work at Broadlawns hospital as CNA on the medical, surgical, and pediatrics floor.

Any thoughts of what I should do? I like podiatry but I can't really know that I will like it more than many other specialties unless I actually doing it. I do know that the medical field is for me (I've been working in it for 2yrs and love it).

Yea, the whole "grass is always greener" one is a tough one. You've got to be careful though. I don't think that podiatry is the ONLY thing I could have done in medicine that would have made me happy. I had many options but this one just seemed to make the most sense. Now that I graduate in 2 weeks (from yesterday, not that I'm counting), I can honestly say that I regret nothing. I am very happy with my decision and look forward to phenominal surgical training over the next 3 years.

I'm sure you could do a lot of things career-wise that would make you happy so there is no point in second guessing yourself because it is probably true. Pick something that you enjoy and go for it. If it is podiatry, great. If not, go for something else.

If you're worried about prestige, don't be. That is largely a pre-med and med student thing. Though it does exist in the medical realm, you don't see it a lot. The bottom line is that the other doctor is there because he can do what you cannot AND you are there because you can do what he cannot. Podiatrists are well-respected members of medical staff. In fact, at Broadlawns, he is the Chief Medical Officer. Maybe I'll see ya there tomorrow!

I totally understand how you are feeling, mate. I too am in the same position, yet not so severe as I used to be. I will admit that initially I was a pre-med student with a rather strong interest to go into the osteopathic program, as I had extensive experience with osteopathic physicians. I shadowed and volunteered for pulmonologists, family practicioners, gastroenterologists/general internists, ERdocs, however early in my junior year I was exposed to podiatry (and i will admit that i always had an interest in podiatry earlier on) and was exposed to podiatric surgery/general podiatric medicine etc. And i realized how much i enjoyed the field and asked more questions when i was volunteering in the podiatrist's office.

I guess the reason why I'm applying to D.O and M.D schools is to keep the option of the possibility of going into orthopedic surgery with a possibility to go into lower extremity specialty. Just as an option. If you are really having some doubts in going into DPM schools for MD/DO schools, then I strongly encourage you to apply to MD/DO schools as well as DPM schools and then decide whe you do get acceptance letters. In the end you'll be the one to make the decision--just ask yourself...do you see yourself as being a podiatrist? podiatric surgeon? or do you see yourself as any of the subspecialized MD/DO physicians? I do wish you luck in this decision-making process, all the best to you, mate!

Regards,:thumbup:

If you are really having some doubts in going into DPM schools for MD/DO schools, then I strongly encourage you to apply to MD/DO schools as well as DPM schools and then decide whe you do get acceptance letters. In the end you'll be the one to make the decision--just ask yourself...do you see yourself as being a podiatrist? podiatric surgeon? or do you see yourself as any of the subspecialized MD/DO physicians? I do wish you luck in this decision-making process, all the best to you, mate!

Regards,:thumbup:

I strongly disagree. Make the decision BEFORE you apply to all the different types of schools. Ask the questions menitioned (i.e. do I see myself as a pod) BEFORE. If you are going to make the decision anyway at some point, why waste so much money on admissions.
To me, this strategy sounds like one in which you are hoping for md/do, and using pod as a back up. Save yourself some money.

Yea I definitely agree with you Dr. Gangrene. It's ideal for one to make up their mind on a profession before the application process. You should really ask yourself all of these questions now, not later. I understand podiatry school makes it more difficult because there are not as many options for specializing as DO/MD school. However, if you go to pod school, you at least know you will graduate as a foot and ankle (most states) specialist. With MD/DO you are gonna have a lot more variables when wanting to match with a particular speciality.

Anywho, isn't there a box you must check on the applications that says

"Have you applied or will you apply to other health professional schools?"

(dental, medicine, podiatry, chiropractic, etc). If you are applying to pod schools as well as MD/DO schools, then I'm sure it can come up during an interview (both at the "regular" medical schools and the pod medical schools). They might not think you are totally sincere/set on the profession since you are applying to two different programs. I think it would be a bigger blow for the DO/MD applications rather than the podiatry one.

The application/interview process is a pain in the @ss and difficult for allopathic/osteopathic medical schools already and applying to podiatry schools at the same time will probably hurt your application and chance of acceptance.

You seem to really want podiatry but considering MD/DO to become a foot and ankle or lower extremity orthopedic surgeon. Would you like to go to allopathic/osteopathic school and really bust @ss to land a 5 year orthopedic surgery residency, then complete a 6 month/1 year fellowship in foot and ankle surgery? Again there is a lot of variability including USMLE Step 1 scores, letters of recommendation, clerkship grades, etc to get into one of those orthopedic programs.

Or go to podiatry school knowing you will come out as a foot and ankle specialist? You can work very hard to land a good 3 year residency and train in forefoot, rearfoot, and ankle surgery and podiatric medicine. You could even do a fellowship after this to become further trained in advanced surgical techniques/trauma/sports med/etc if you desire.

You said yourself on here before that you would pick the podiatry acceptance letter over the DO/MD. It seems like you kind of know what you want already. Good luck to you man in whatever you choose.

If I had to choose between an acceptance letter from a DPM school, DO school or MD school; I would pick the DPM school.

I mean no disrespect, and I know motivations can be complex and multi-factored, but your reasoning just doesn't make sense to me, at least logically. If you would choose C over A or B, then why appy to A and/or B in the first place? It seems like a waste of time, effort, and money. Do you know that the AMCAS and AACOMAS processes and secondary applications are no walk in the park? Since your reasoning doesn't add up, I think you need to get clear about what you really want, to become a physician in the sense of an MD/DO with all the options that are available to them, or a podiatrist. It'll make your work easier, smoother, and less expensive, I think. But that's just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Yea I definitely agree with you Dr. Gangrene. It's ideal for one to make up their mind on a profession before the application process. You should really ask yourself all of these questions now, not later. I understand podiatry school makes it more difficult because there are not as many options for specializing as DO/MD school. However, if you go to pod school, you at least know you will graduate as a foot and ankle (most states) specialist. With MD/DO you are gonna have a lot more variables when wanting to match with a particular speciality.

Anywho, isn't there a box you must check on the applications that says

"Have you applied or will you apply to other health professional schools?"

(dental, medicine, podiatry, chiropractic, etc). If you are applying to pod schools as well as MD/DO schools, then I'm sure it can come up during an interview (both at the "regular" medical schools and the pod medical schools). They might not think you are totally sincere/set on the profession since you are applying to two different programs. I think it would be a bigger blow for the DO/MD applications rather than the podiatry one.

The application/interview process is a pain in the @ss and difficult for allopathic/osteopathic medical schools already and applying to podiatry schools at the same time will probably hurt your application and chance of acceptance.

You seem to really want podiatry but considering MD/DO to become a foot and ankle or lower extremity orthopedic surgeon. Would you like to go to allopathic/osteopathic school and really bust @ss to land a 5 year orthopedic surgery residency, then complete a 6 month/1 year fellowship in foot and ankle surgery? Again there is a lot of variability including USMLE Step 1 scores, letters of recommendation, clerkship grades, etc to get into one of those orthopedic programs.

Or go to podiatry school knowing you will come out as a foot and ankle specialist? You can work very hard to land a good 3 year residency and train in forefoot, rearfoot, and ankle surgery and podiatric medicine. You could even do a fellowship after this to become further trained in advanced surgical techniques/trauma/sports med/etc if you desire.

You said yourself on here before that you would pick the podiatry acceptance letter over the DO/MD. It seems like you kind of know what you want already. Good luck to you man in whatever you choose.

In addition to "busting _ss" to get an ortho program you will have to learn on your own basically everything about orthopedics including procedures, musculoskeletal pain, trauma classifications... These things are not taught in med school. And when you get out of residency and your 6month-1year fellowship it is unlikely that you will be able to practice exclusively foot and ankle. Even if you join a group as the foot and ankle guy you'll need to take call.

I'd rather be the pod at the ortho group and not have to take call except for foot and ankle even if it does not pay quite as well. Better life = better happiness.

"Better life = better happiness." A persons happiness is invaluable!!! I was originally going the DO route, but shadowed several pods and am starting OCPM this Fall...I am sooo glad/ excited about my decision. With the way the profession has improved (i.e.- more regulated residencies, respect etc.) and continues to improve, I feel it's a GREAT way to go!!!:thumbup:

Well, yeah it is ideal to decide before but this is no easy decision I just need to take a few more hours to consider...

Podiatry is not a back up. My grades, MCAT, experiences, LORs, and interview would get me into a DO school and some MD schools (I believe although there is no way of actually knowing).

Additionally, I have planned on attending pod school next year. There are a lot of things that have been planned for such as Health insurance, housing, income, etc. Dropping out just because I think I might like another specialty seems a little rash.

I am torn between multiple lifestyles that I may desire years down the road. I watch some MD and DO residents frustrated enough to warn me not to become a doctor and then later that same day I'll be helping a patient who I see the resident treat recover from an otherwise terminal path and I become inspired to be a MD/DO. Then there is all the damn paper work that they do. Its just a never ending give and take of positive and negatives.

My point is that this is not a decision that I will just come to in days/weeks or maybe even months or years. When was the last time you were correct in determining what you would what in 10 years? Frankly, I don't know that I have ever correctly predicted my desires that far in advance (then again I was only a teenager).

If I would have done the application process over again I would have applied to all three.

Understandable reasons and points of view, mate. Whatever you do decide to apply to, I wish you the best of luck. And good luck on the MCAT reviews etc.

My regards,