About the ads

Anyone applying to MCPHS-DPT?

Discussion in 'Pre-Physical Therapy' started by PTattention, Dec 1, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. PTattention

PTattention

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    It's a newly formed DPT program of MCPHS-Worcester, and I just notice that they have not been accredited by APTA yet.
  2. predpt2189

predpt2189

Pre-Rehab Sci [AuD/DPT/OTD]
    Yeah I applied and am interviewing there December 8th. I did not know they were not accredited yet. Where did you find this out?
  3. PTattention

PTattention

Hi Predpt2189,

I saw this on there PTCAS page:

"Massachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences has been granted Candidate for Accreditation status by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, VA, 22314; phone: 703.706.3245; email: [email protected]). Candidacy is not an accreditation status nor does it assure eventual accreditation. Candidate for Accreditation is a pre-accreditation status of affiliation with the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education that indicates the program is progressing toward accreditation. (This is the statement suggested by CAPTE for use in all published materials.)'

I haven't heard anything from them yet. Good luck on your interview!
  4. shahhar

shahhar

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Would you mind telling ur stats like your gpa, observation hours, and gre score

thanks.

Do u guys know if its a new prog or not? because I havent heard it that much !
  5. Jaug15

Jaug15

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I applied to MCPHS-Worcester as well. I didn't know that they didn't have accredidation yet so that is definitely good to know. Even if i get an interview im not sure if I will even go now since it just seems to risky to take a chance with 3 years of your education with a school who has yet to be accredited, just my 2 cents
  6. Osqueal

Osqueal

I was accepted at MCPHS and thus far have no other acceptances (I have been placed on the interview waitlist at one other school). I'm hesitant to attend an unaccredited DPT program, and I am trying to decide if I don't get in anywhere else if I should attend or wait another year and improve my application in hopes of gaining acceptance into a different program next year. I was told at the interview that if the program was not accredited I could gain entrance into another program in the area, but was not told what program. I was wondering if anyone was in a similar situation or had any insight? Any input would be greatly appreciated :)
  7. ptresearcher

ptresearcher

SDN 2+ Year Member
    New PT programs do not receive accreditation decisions from CAPTE until just before the first class graduates, which in the case of MCPHS is May, 2014. Therefore you would be in the program for 2 years before you know whether they receive accreditation, and without that you can't be become a licensed PT. So it's not something to take lightly, which is why it can be easier to get accepted at these programs than accredited ones. However, while I know that some programs in the past did not receive accreditation I still believe that this is pretty rare for PT programs (maybe more common for PTA), and many new programs work out teach-out options with other accredited schools in case the worst comes to pass. I wouldn't shy away from a new program, just consider another factor, like cost.
  8. meredithpd

meredithpd Meredith Drake, PT/s

From Austin, TX, living in Somerville, MA
    Physical Therapy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I got in to MCPHS, toured the campus, and met professors and students. Honestly, I think it is ok. I asked the professor I interviewed with, and she went into great detail explaining the accreditation process. They have been granted "Candidate for Accreditation status" which basically means they're in. CAPTE makes the pre-accreditation process so difficult, that once a school receives candidacy, they're probably good. They will get accredited unless they deviate from the submitted curriculum (which, why would they do that?).

Also, like ptreseacher said, they have that teach-out option with Simmons (I think it was Simmons... can't remember for sure, though), which is like insurance for their students. You'll be ok if worst comes to worst.

It has a reputable PA program, and is accredited in everything else. The PT program is just new. I doubt they'll be denied. Plus, you don't go through all the trouble of spending millions building a facility, hiring professors, and formulating a curriculum unless you are SURE you're going to get the ok.

The facilities were really nice, I loved the professors and staff I met, and the students were all really cool. The classes were small, and the gross anat lab was supposed to be small, too. I also liked the curriculum, just not as much as another school I got into.

I chose another school because it was a better fit, but I wouldn't have been worried about accreditation if I had decided with MCPHS.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  9. Osqueal

Osqueal

Thanks to both of you for your input!
  10. MdLilI

MdLilI

SDN 5+ Year Member
    What was your STATS ? ..and How was your interview?Please share:)
  11. failureisnotfatal

failureisnotfatal

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    MCPHS is a candidate for accreditation. They are pretty far along in the process. At that stage, unless something goes horribly wrong, they will be accredited. CAPTE is not out to trick students into wasting three years. They would not have let them admit a class unless there was a very good chance they would be accredited.
  12. schwartzy55

schwartzy55

are you in the MCPHS dpt prgram now? if so, how do you like it? i've been waitlisted for a while now and was wondering when I would hear back..
  13. rmp.

rmp.

Hey Schwartzy55,
    Have you heard from MCPHS yet? Do you mind sharing your stats, i have applied in February and haven't heard anything from them yet.