Anyone been accepted into dental school with a misdemeanor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalguy23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here been accepted to dental school with an expunged/dismissed misdemeanor...and did you disclose it on your application? I know this should be in the pre-dental section but no one in pre-dental has made it into the program yet therefore I was just wondering. Please PM me if you're not comfortable to share it out here. Thank you a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes and yes. Honesty is the best policy.

Reactions: 1 users
Got in, finished, licensed, work, and soon to own my own practice.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone here been accepted to dental school with an expunged/dismissed misdemeanor...and did you disclose it on your application? I know this should be in the pre-dental section but no one in pre-dental has made it into the program yet therefore I was just wondering. Please PM me if you're not comfortable to share it out here. Thank you a lot.

If the misdemeaner was dismissed or expunged why would you have to disclose it?

I'm doing this dental volunteer program at UCLA and it asks "Have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor (including a conviction for which the record has been sealed, expunged, or judicially dismissed?"

UCLA also likes to know what bottled water brand you drink.

Reactions: 1 users
I had my record sealed, I did not disclose it, it did not come up on my background check. They usually require disclosure of felonies, misdemeanors not so much.. but I guess each school is different

If you're concerned you can do a background check on yourself, costs like ~$25 IIRC..

I had my record sealed, I did not disclose it, it did not come up on my background check. They usually require disclosure of felonies, misdemeanors not so much.. but I guess each school is different

If you're concerned you can do a background check on yourself, costs like ~$25 IIRC..

what school or schools did you get into?

as with the ucla question above, answer any question only as specifically as you need to. if it breaks you, it breaks you...though it might not.

what definitely will break you: lying on application materials and getting caught in that later

Reactions: 1 user

If dismissed, ask a lawyer buddy to look up the case number (if asked for. I know some state boards ask, schools maybe not so much) and write a few sentences briefly describing the incident and why it was dismissed (eg "the DA voluntarily dismissed the case, dismissed due to lack of evidence, etc)

If it was expunged, no need to mention it. It's been expunged.

Caveat: I'd have your aforementioned lawyer buddy do the background check to make sure the incident has indeed been expunged before turning in the application.

If dismissed, ask a lawyer buddy to look up the case number (if asked for. I know some state boards ask, schools maybe not so much) and write a few sentences briefly describing the incident and why it was dismissed (eg "the DA voluntarily dismissed the case, dismissed due to lack of evidence, etc)

If it was expunged, no need to mention it. It's been expunged.

Caveat: I'd have your aforementioned lawyer buddy do the background check to make sure the incident has indeed been expunged before turning in the application.
forgot to mention california doesn't have a true expungement...just a dismissal, which is also called expungement, according to penal code 1203.4

I will say this, for my experience.

I was accused of a misdemeanor, while during my interview process. It was related to car registration so nothing in particular too bad. I elected not to tell them as I already had applied and submitted my materials, and interviewed at a few schools. Later the charge was dropped. If they ask specifically, I would have told them, but since everything was submitted and the fact that I wasn't guilty I didn't feel the need to tell them that. Either way, I got in. Honesty is the best policy, many people have made mistakes, it's those who learn from them that turn on the best. I'd suggest just being open about it and show that you've grown in retrospect to it all.