Anyone close to family and had to move away for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faux

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanting to hear people's experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

I moved from WA to CT away from my family. I will likely be moving back afterwards to be closer to them. Its tough, but I Skype with them every other weekend to catch up and whatnot. Its not fun, nor easy, but very doable.

I would feel worse if I lived in the same town as my family. Because if I went to school in the same town, I'd feel the need to eat with my parents or whatever. But now, I have no obligations to do so since they live 5 hours away. My classmates get calls from their parents to go eat and they have to tell them no all the time because they need to study. That would suck more. And it would cut into your free time too. So if you want to go decompress after finals, do you go hang out and watch TV or visit your parents?

Members don't see this ad :)
My future school is about 2 hours away. Just far enough that they cant be bothered to make the drive.

But close enough to borrow moneys :hardy:

Reactions: 3 users
My school is 2 hours away from my hometown, so that's pretty convenient. I visit about once every month.

I haven't lived near family in almost 10 years. It's not bad - you get used to it.

I won't be applying till this summer, but I just had a sad realization the other day. My dog, who will be left at home, will probably be dead before I'm finished

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

But family, srsyl who the f*** cares.

I'm going to be about a 1.5 hour drive from my home starting next year and I cannot wait. I think it helps having a strong support system so close to home, but at the same time, I do think you'll get used to it. Just call home every night for 5 minutes for a quick catch-up, I doubt you'll have time to really feel upset or nostalgic with so much of a dense workload on your shoulders. Good luck! :)

I moved from California to kentucky and haven't seen my family for 6 months. It sucks but hey you're in dental school! All the out if staters in my class are close and we do support each other a lot. Some people in my class have gotten super home sick and have gone home 3 times already. So it is allllll up to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm 500 miles from home. It's not nearly as bad as I thought. I do suggest taping a spare key under your car bumper, though. Nobody is bringing you your spare set. You're also really busy, so you don't have too much time to get homesick. And make sure you sit next to good people in lab, because if you don't, people like Coffeeisamust can make for a long semester.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm very close with my family and in love with my home in the Pacific NW. I've been in Arizona for four years now and I have been incredibly homesick the entire time. However, I absolutely love my school and I can't imagine being at any other dental school. You should choose based on the school because as everyone is saying - the majority of your time is spent in school and with your classmates. But I am counting the days until I'm home again.

You have to mature sometime. People do it everyday.