Anyone do a LOT worse on the real test compared to their practice tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baratheonfire

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I averaged 511 on NS 1-6 ( no test below 510), got a 520 on the scored, and a 91% on the sample.

But I feel like I bombed that test on Friday. I really think I did poorly.

How often do people do worse on the real test compared to their practice scores?

Members don't see this ad.

You can probably find the spreadsheet around here somewhere but not feeling good after the MCAT is not uncommon among test takers. If you felt really good, you probably just got an easy test and the curve is tough. If you felt really bad, you probably got a tough test and so the curve is easier. There's also the possibility of doing bad, of course, but if you look around on here, that's not too common given your performance on the AAMC materials. Personally, I scored right around that range for the AAMC and also felt bad after the exam. The best thing to do now is to stop second guessing yourself and just take your mind off it for a month (I know, that's way harder than it sounds!).

@aldol16 j/w did you feel bad as in you felt rushed? or just that your exam seemed hard? I think I've seen you mention that you had a difficult version. Tough in your opinion must have been killer for the majority

Reactions: 1 user
@aldol16 j/w did you feel bad as in you felt rushed? or just that your exam seemed hard? I think I've seen you mention that you had a difficult version. Tough in your opinion must have been killer for the majority

I mean that my exam (B/BC and P/S in particular) seemed hard. I didn't feel particularly rushed in any section, as I always had 10-15 minutes I think left at the end of each section. In P/S, I had like 30 minutes left but then again, I didn't really try hard to answer the ones in P/S that I had marked because I was just over it by that point.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I averaged 511 on NS 1-6 ( no test below 510), got a 520 on the scored, and a 91% on the sample.

But I feel like I bombed that test on Friday. I really think I did poorly.

How often do people do worse on the real test compared to their practice scores?

Dude. We are literally the same person. Averaged 510 on NS, 91% sample, 520 on scored. Did not feel as great as I wanted to about the real deal.

Dude. We are literally the same person. Averaged 510 on NS, 91% sample, 520 on scored. Did not feel as great as I wanted to about the real deal.
Damn we pretty much are

And a lot of people from April are doing worse than their practice tests, which is not encouraging

About 518 scored and ~same perecentage unscored....about 510 on kaplan......504 on real.
50% on cars 68% on P/S. 78% bio, 87% C/P

Ummm....fatigue i feel like was a factor. P/S answer choices contained words that id never seen, and like two passages with terms/concepts id never seen so it makes if diff to correctly answer, and CARS...idk. maybe i took bait answers bc i felt good abou . But in general its my weakest section but im usually ~70% on cars. And the two days before and practice cars sections i was about 80-85%

many people feel like they failed, yet most of the time, their score reflects what they averaged on practice tests (especially those by AAMC), so I would not worry about it too much.

I felt like I failed my MCAT and I ended up scoring just 2 points below my average.

Ummm....fatigue i feel like was a factor. P/S answer choices contained words that id never seen, and like two passages with terms/concepts id never seen so it makes if diff to correctly answer, and CARS...idk. maybe i took bait answers bc i felt good abou . But in general its my weakest section but im usually ~70% on cars. And the two days before and practice cars sections i was about 80-85%
Did you have time to review on the test?

many people feel like they failed, yet most of the time, their score reflects what they averaged on practice tests (especially those by AAMC), so I would not worry about it too much.

I felt like I failed my MCAT and I ended up scoring just 2 points below my average.
Your average on AAMC?

5 points lower on real test vs. practice AAMC FL. FWIW the 5 points came entirely from CARS. Ironically, I thought I bombed the C/P and B/B but rocked CARS (felt "meh" about P/S). Turns out C/P was fine, B/B and P/S were amazing, and CARS was way lower than my usual.