Anyone done the Hampton Univ. Master of Medical Science Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

favored

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a postbacc type program. Anyone completed it? Got into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got accepted into the program and would be interested to know this as well!

I was just accepted as well! Are you starting in the summer or in the fall??

Members don't see this ad :)
you should try posting this in the post-bac forum so that you can get a better response....

I was accepted for fall 2008! I called up there today since I'm trying to decide between schools and they said their acceptance rate was around 75%. They only accept 20 students as well so it seems pretty competitive. Not only that, but we would receive a lot of personal attention and have access to several resources. I was also told that the director sticks his neck out very far for his students! It is for these reason that I'm leaning toward this choice! Anyone else???? :):)

There is an opportunity to start in the summer!?!?!?

Yeah I've heard some really great things about the program. Can you start in the summer even if you applied for the Fall 2008???

I am almost positive that this program only has a fall start. Since there are only 20 students we are all in classes together. Do you know anyone that graduated from the program and got into medical school? What good things have you heard!?!? Are you planning to apply to medical school next summer?

DChris, Yes I know someone that got into med school after doing the program. They attend Virginia Commonwealth Med school. They said that it is very possible to do well as long as you put in hard work...so basically you get out what you put in. They did it a while ago so they couldn't tell me too much but they said that they really enjoyed it. What other postbaccs did you apply to?

Some years ago, I did a summer program with a bunch of folks that completed the program and they all seemed generally happy. I lost contact with all of them so not really sure if any were able to get into med school since then, but from what I remember there seemed to be alot of MCAT prep. If the program still has the same director they had back then, I can personally say he's GREAT!!! He was the director of my undergrad scholarship program for a year and I'm still bummed they didn't keep him around! He works HARD for his students and can find all sorts of programs and opportunities you can't find on your own.

Good Luck.

CJ80, that's really good to know! I think over the years the director switched but I'm sure the current director is just as good!

Favored, I applied to:

Drexel MSP - waiting
Barry University - accepted
UMDNJ - waiting
UConn - waiting
Hampton - accepted

To the person you know that completed the program, that's awesome! Do you know if they applied after the first year of the program or the second? I really want to apply after the first year! How about you? Where else have you applied?? Are you choosing Hampton?

DChris,

I will definately be at Hampton in the fall. I didn't apply to any other postbaccs. The person that I knew applied after the first year, and I'm planing on doing the same! I don't want that extra lag year so I plan on applying next summer.

I know several ppl who completed the HU post-bacc and were accepted into med school. It is one of those things where you get out of it what you put into it though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know what med schools they were accepted into?

I will be there this fall. I know several people from my undergrad who went thru the program and are in med school: VCOM, PCOM, VCU, Meharry. From what they tell me, it really matters how hard you work and how much effort you put in. I have only heard positive things so far.

I was recently accepted too, wow, school starts in a month, I've been out of undergrad for a year now, I hope I can still cut it!!!

I'm sure you'll be fine. I've been out of school going on 3 years. Has anybody turned their packet in? Also, have ya'll gotten a financial aid package?

I was recently accepted too, wow, school starts in a month, I've been out of undergrad for a year now, I hope I can still cut it!!!

Hey guys! Where are you all living? I am trying to get my living situation in order. Have you all found any reasonably priced housing? I think we should start a facebook group, but I don't know any of your names! Send me a pm with your names so I can add you all as friends.

I haven't heard ANYTHING about f.aid either , I'm beginning to get a bit worried. Do any of you know how soon they send out info?

Since I didn't hear from financial aid, I called and spoke to Marc Elliott (even though he's not my fin.aid advisor). He wanted my acct info, which was my SS#, and I wasn't okay with giving that via e-mail or leaving it on a voicemail. So I went to the financial aid office (which wasn't an easy task considering I currently live 6.5 hours away) and talked to him face to face. It literally took him 2 minutes to process my financial aid and get it posted on the HamptonYou! website. My advice, if you don't know the status of your financial aid, stop by the office.
I haven't heard ANYTHING about f.aid either , I'm beginning to get a bit worried. Do any of you know how soon they send out info?

I used to live in Hampton and have a homegirl who went to HU. She used to stay across the street from the Coliseum mall in a one bedroom apt for around $700 per month.
Hey guys! Where are you all living? I am trying to get my living situation in order. Have you all found any reasonably priced housing? I think we should start a facebook group, but I don't know any of your names! Send me a pm with your names so I can add you all as friends.

Hey anyone applying for fall 2009 admission? I am. Just wanted to see if 1 was really the loneliest number? :)

Yea I think you need a score of a 20 or higher. It's a Ms in Medical Sciences.

your right Lele. I mixed up how many in the program for the score. It just says that you need the MCAT or DAT scores, but doesn't say a specific score. My bad. Is there anyone out there that is in there know and can talk about how the program is?

No prob. I'm in the program right now. There really isn't a minimum MCAT/ DAT/ GRE score. The first year is review of Bio, Chemistry, O. Chem, and Physics. You take Bio, G. Chem, Physics, and a class called Health Professions (which is pretty much Verbal Reasoning/ Writing Section) the first semester. The second semester you take all of the same classes except for o chem, not g chem (but you have the same professors). Our tests for Bio are MCAT based (meaning nothing but MCAT passages). For physics, they are part MCAT passages and part short answer. For chemistry/ o. chem, they are passages and multiple choice. For health professions, you do some passages and timed writings. The second year of the program is supposed to mimic the first year of med school with physiology, immunology, virology, biochem, and histology (I think those are all of the classes). Outside of the class we have what are called "Academic Drills" which are supposed to be more MCAT prep. Right now those are not required, however, whoever attends the most gets a prize. Also, a lot of med and dental schools come and visit (Meharry, VCU/MCV, EVMS, Creighton, Case Western, UMD Dental, all of the osteopathic schools, podiatric schools, etc). I don't have the % of applicants accepted to med school. You have to call and talk to Mr. Druitt about that. The year before last, a lot of students went to Virginica College of Osteopathic Medicine. As far as MCAT scores, I heard that students go up about 6 points overall. You have to look at the other programs out there and determine which program is best for you. I went to a PWI (predominately white institution) so coming to Hampton was a shock for me as far as dealing with the administration, which tends to operate at a sloooooooower pace than a PWI.
Some other programs that are out there include:
Drexel
Barry University
Wake Forest
Georgetown
Southern Illinois University (which I highly recommend because of the fact that they have direct linkage to their med school, plus it is a great program).
VCU/MCV

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.
your right Lele. I mixed up how many in the program for the score. It just says that you need the MCAT or DAT scores, but doesn't say a specific score. My bad. Is there anyone out there that is in there know and can talk about how the program is?

Thanks LeLe that helped a lot. I am probably going to apply there and some other ones. But just trying to find out which one is going to be the best for me. Especially having to deal with moving expenses and stuff. So far, do you like it? Do you think that the program efficiently help to get into medical and dental schools? I know what you are saying about the diff in the schools. I went to a PWI and took classes at an HBCU and things are done differently, as far as fiscal and admin affairs are concerened.

I think that the Hampton program is straight. In the year before last, a lot of students went to the Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine. I know a girl that is at VCU/ SOM, another is at the Medical University of South Carolina. Some of the second years students have interviewed at UNC SOM, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Morehouse SOM, Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine, etc. With the program, I feel like whatever you put in is what you get out. But also understand that the program has not been around as long as other programs. So there are kinks that need to be worked out. And Mr. Druitt is a straight advisor, but he is also stretched very thin. The bio class in my opinion prepares you the most for the MCAT because we take tests every other week. Since September, we've pretty much gone through all of the topics on the MCAT. Also the professors are helpful, and if you're having problems, they help you outside of class.
Thanks LeLe that helped a lot. I am probably going to apply there and some other ones. But just trying to find out which one is going to be the best for me. Especially having to deal with moving expenses and stuff. So far, do you like it? Do you think that the program efficiently help to get into medical and dental schools? I know what you are saying about the diff in the schools. I went to a PWI and took classes at an HBCU and things are done differently, as far as fiscal and admin affairs are concerened.

I think that the Hampton program is straight. In the year before last, a lot of students went to the Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine. I know a girl that is at VCU/ SOM, another is at the Medical University of South Carolina. Some of the second years students have interviewed at UNC SOM, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Morehouse SOM, Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine, etc. With the program, I feel like whatever you put in is what you get out. But also understand that the program has not been around as long as other programs. So there are kinks that need to be worked out. And Mr. Druitt is a straight advisor, but he is also stretched very thin. The bio class in my opinion prepares you the most for the MCAT because we take tests every other week. Since September, we've pretty much gone through all of the topics on the MCAT. Also the professors are helpful, and if you're having problems, they help you outside of class.

Hi Lele,
If you don't mind me asking, did you finish all of your pre-med requirements before applying to the program? I saw on the website that although this is not required, preference is given to applicants who have completed their pre-reqs. Also, is there an interview for this program?

Thanks!

Hey guys! I'm doing the Hampton program as well, so if you have any questions please email me, because I hardly get on here (lol). [email protected]

I am an undergrad at Hampton University and honestly I would not reccommend our Master of MS program. The director, Mr. Druitt, I do not find to be very trustworthy nor knowledgable about med school-this is just from how he handled our pre-health club for undergraduate. Also, Virginia College of Ostetheopathic Medicine is not a very good school-they accepted applicants from Hampton who had MCATS in their teens. Yes, like 18, 19. I know, because a boy I worked with was in the MS program. He went to Meharry. How people took the MS program and still got MCATS below 20 I do not know but I do know it was multiple people, that was last year.

For the price of HU, I would say go to a majority school and take their premed/masters program.

I am not in the program, so I know I am not the most trustworthy, but I have worked with Mr. Druitt and I am attending UNC Medical School this fall. I cannot say Mr. Druitt has helped me at all throughout my application process and in one case he actually hindered my friend by forgetting to send out her LORs, even though he swore he sent them twice. She didn't realize he never sent them until she was rejected from every school she applied to for having an incomplete application but one.

If you have any questions PM me becaue I probably will not follow this thread...yes like 98% of the people do move on to medical schools but I do not think they are strong medical schools. Not academic but sidenote, the graduate population at HU is horribly low as well. Your only friends will probably be your classmates.

I am in the program. So I can comment on some of the comments that Lauren made. I didn't go to HU in undergrad (went to a PWI). So as far as the administration, things are slower. In some cases, your only friends might be your classmates. I know people who aren't from here who have friends outside of the program. It depends on the type of person you are. But if you're in the program, let's keep it real, you're here to a) get your grades up and b) perform well on the MCAT. So you're not necessarily here to make friends. You're supposed to be on your grind doing what you have to do to get where you want to be.

As far as Mr. Druitt, like I've said before he is straight. As far as him doing LORs, I'm sorry that he didn't do it for Lauren's friend. As far as MY LORs, I'm going to ask him to do one for me, then I'm going to have him submit it to my undergrad institution because they have a file already started for me in the premed office. Understand that he's not only our advisor ("facilitator") but he's assistant to the Dean as well as a professor. What Druitt doesn't know about med school, he tries to bring in others to help. We've had visits from administrators from Meharry, Case Western, VCU, EVMS. Plus with some things you have to be self motivated. If you don't know about the application to med school, it's not that hard to figure it out. Plus, if you are entering the program in 2009, I'll be a second year student. Ask me or ask somebody else who has done an application. You have to have more than one resource that you can use.

As far as schools that folks have gotten into...There are current second year students who have gotten into UNC, EVMS, Meharry, Morehouse, and Ohio (for Podiatry). I know students who have gotten into VCU and EVMS in prior years. This year's class has a lot of promising students with entering MCAT scores already in the 20s. As far as people not getting into strong medical schools, that could be a personal thing. You have to question how strong that person's MCAT was or how low their GPA was, etc. So I don't think that that is necessarily a program issue. That could just be an individual issue. Did they put in the work? With any program, you can't just rely on the program to get you in. You still have to shadow, volunteer, and study, study, study. Plus with some med schools, who you know is an important factor. So you have to be able to network. As far as VCOM not being a good school, I think that that is a matter of opinion. What's good for one person may not be good for another person.

If you're thinking about applying to postbac/ master's programs, I would not just apply to Hampton. SIU has a success rate of about 80% (probably higher because they have direct linkage to their med school). Georgetown, VCU, EVMS, Wake Forest, etc, have programs. So you have to do the research and apply to these programs. No matter what program you do, you have to work super hard to overcome whatever it is that is holding you back from med school.

I am an undergrad at Hampton University and honestly I would not reccommend our Master of MS program. The director, Mr. Druitt, I do not find to be very trustworthy nor knowledgable about med school-this is just from how he handled our pre-health club for undergraduate. Also, Virginia College of Ostetheopathic Medicine is not a very good school-they accepted applicants from Hampton who had MCATS in their teens. Yes, like 18, 19. I know, because a boy I worked with was in the MS program. He went to Meharry. How people took the MS program and still got MCATS below 20 I do not know but I do know it was multiple people, that was last year.

For the price of HU, I would say go to a majority school and take their premed/masters program.

I am not in the program, so I know I am not the most trustworthy, but I have worked with Mr. Druitt and I am attending UNC Medical School this fall. I cannot say Mr. Druitt has helped me at all throughout my application process and in one case he actually hindered my friend by forgetting to send out her LORs, even though he swore he sent them twice. She didn't realize he never sent them until she was rejected from every school she applied to for having an incomplete application but one.

If you have any questions PM me becaue I probably will not follow this thread...yes like 98% of the people do move on to medical schools but I do not think they are strong medical schools. Not academic but sidenote, the graduate population at HU is horribly low as well. Your only friends will probably be your classmates.

Lele makes a lot of good points and the program is what you make it. I am sure some students come in, slack off, and don't take advantage of what the program has to offer which is why they ended up with low MCAT scores or not getting into the school of their choice. Also, in comparison to some majority schools, my friend pointed out some majority schools required things such as minimum MCAT scores, basically screening out applicants and already promising that they would have impressive matriculate stats. But I do believe some majority school's programs are more rigorous and would not put up with the results/grades/scores some people from the MS program recieve. I do not know if they push the students harder or reject them from the start though. I do know Mr. Druitt made us feel like an MCAT score around 24, 25 was good, actually I'm sure he described as something along the lines of "great" and I feel that it is not great nor even good and it makes us not competitive applicants at many schools we apply to. I do not want to feel like the only reason I made it into a school was because of the color of my skin, you know?

Mr. Druitt is very good at getting a lot of medical schools to come visit. I just struggle to praise other things he does...I have certain, basic, non-demanding expectations of what a medical school advisor should do and I do not think Mr. Druitt meets them. The good things he does do, I would expect from any school or program. Although I have heard, believe he puts more effort into his M.S. program students than undergrad, so you may be good. Sorry I didn't mean for my first post to sound so depressing, but it is my opinion.

Last edited:
I think it's a good thing that Lauren put her comments out there!! When looking into programs, you want to talk to students and get their opinion on the program. That's one of the things that I did before I got into this program. I have heard that there are programs that are rigorous, like VCU and SIU. Lauren is right as far as other programs screening their applicants. I know with VCU, you have to have an MCAT around a 20 or 22. I believe that Hampton does not have a minimum MCAT score. I believe it is a combination of pushing students harder and rejecting them from the start. And I totally agree with you Lauren about the MCAT scores in the mid twenties. Competitive applicants nowadays have MCAT scores higher than that. In my opinion you don't want to aim for the minimum score for a black student, you want to aim for the competitive score of A student period. Thanks to Lauren for putting her opinion out there. It is something that applicants should take into consideration when applying to the HU Master's program. Like I've said before, do your research and apply to other schools too. Also, if they say that their min. score is whatever and their min GPA is whatever and you don't meet that, still apply anyways. All they can say is no.

Lele makes a lot of good points and the program is what you make it. I am sure some students come in, slack off, and don't take advantage of what the program has to offer which is why they ended up with low MCAT scores or not getting into the school of their choice. Also, in comparison to some majority schools, my friend pointed out some majority schools required things such as minimum MCAT scores, basically screening out applicants and already promising that they would have impressive matriculate stats. But I do believe some majority school's programs are more rigorous and would not put up with the results/grades/scores some people from the MS program recieve. I do not know if they push the students harder or reject them from the start though. I do know Mr. Druitt made us feel like an MCAT score around 24, 25 was good, actually I'm sure he described as something along the lines of "great" and I feel that it is not great nor even good and it makes us not competitive applicants at many schools we apply to. I do not want to feel like the only reason I made it into a school was because of the color of my skin, you know?

Mr. Druitt is very good at getting a lot of medical schools to come visit. I just struggle to praise other things he does...I have certain, basic, non-demanding expectations of what a medical school advisor should do and I do not think Mr. Druitt meets them. The good things he does do, I would expect from any school or program. Although I have heard, believe he puts more effort into his M.S. program students than undergrad, so you may be good. Sorry I didn't mean for my first post to sound so depressing, but it is my opinion.

Does anyone know if you HAVE TO stay 2 years for the program or can you leave after one year?

Does anyone know if you HAVE TO stay 2 years for the program or can you leave after one year?
You do not have to stay the entire two years. I do know of one person who did the first year at Hampton and did summer research at another institution. That institution then offered him a position in its postbacc program where he completed a year of that program. Currently, he is a first year med student at that school. One thing that you have to consider is what are you going to do during that time period? If you don't don't do the second year are you going to apply to med school during the first year? I don't think you receive anything (like a certificate) if you just do the first year. If you're just looking for MCAT prep, then why not take Kaplan or Princeton Review on your own? If you're just looking to get credit for classes, why not take classes at a community college or something because in the end the med schools (mainly the ones in VA) are looking to see how you do during the SECOND year (first semester of second year). If you have any other questions, let me know!

I just received my acceptance into this program and wanted to know if anyone else was accepted??

thanks!

I just recieved my acceptance letter to Hampton's Medical Science Program, also!

Did anyone else get accepted???

P.S. -- I need to find some great off campus housing information. Any sugguestions???

There are several options for housing. I do know graduate students who live(d) on campus.

For off-campus housing, I would suggest apartmentfinder or apartmentguide. But here are some places:

Addison-2 Wyndham Drive, Hampton, VA 23666
Township-260 Marcella Rd
Northampton Village-103 A Kathann Dr (if you're a guy, maybe you're okay here, but it's kind of shady)
Bridgewater-probably the best option on this list
Hampton Harbors-think there is a waitlist
Hampton Woods

For more questions, check out this link...
http://www.hamptonu.edu/mcgrewtowerscc/OCHPage.htm

In the past, folks that were local (NC, MD, DC) came up here and had to do an apartment search.

Last edited:
When did you all complete your applications?

I am still awaiting my letter

Hey,

I am applying for Hampton's medical science program, with hopes of getting accepted to the fall 2011 class! Anyone else applying?

Bump! I plan on applying next summer after I finish physics and the DAT :)

Hey,

Wait are you applying in the summer 2011 (like in June) with hopes of matriculating in fall 2011?

Hey!
I am also applying for the Fall of 2011. I don't think there is a summer start date... Does anyone know if there are linkage agreements associated with the program?

No, there is no linkage agreement with any schools, but i guess the medical schools within Virginia may give hampton students preference?( evms or vcm)
I plan on applying as soon as I am able to take my mcats, have you taken the dat yet or sent in your app?

also, there is no summer date to matriculate, but i think the admission cycle ends in June to apply.

I've taken the Dat already, and I sent in my app last week. I still have to send my recommendation letters and official DAT scores.

I've taken the Dat already, and I sent in my app last week. I still have to send my recommendation letters and official DAT scores.

Let us know how it goes!

@plzhelpme I have to take physics over the summer so im not entirely sure that I would be able to gain entry. I will however, try to apply before June 1. If I lose $25 (the application fee) by not gaining entry it would be okay. I will still try though :thumbup: