Anyone double check their mcat exam???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geldrop

Crushed Pepper Rules
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here checked their MCAT. I heard you can go to IOWA or whatever and actually check it and go through it. Is this true? It still gnaws at me what answers i got incorrect and how exactly they graded my writing sample.

Someone on here posted that he petitioned to get his writing score raised. How can you do that?

Members don't see this ad.

You have to file a protest within a certain period of time (30 days?) of recieving your scores, pay a fee, and you can sit in as they regrade your test by hand. It may a chance to see the inner-workings of the MCAT program office but the chances of having a score changed is low. Even if you have a sort of 'frameshift mutation' in bubbling they really won't care nad you'll be stuck with that score. Personally I would like to see what raw scores lead to what MCAT scores. Peace.

Originally posted by NE_Cornhusker1
Even if you have a sort of 'frameshift mutation' in bubbling

HAHA spoken like a true pre-med/doctor to be

Members don't see this ad :)
HAHA spoken like a true pre-med/doctor to be

:laugh: :laugh:
I know! Even with my basic biology background I cracked up at that one. I say nerdy things like that daily.:)

Someone who took the MCAT around the same time as me said they knew someone who got their MCAT rescored because they were unhappy with the 8 verbal and wanted to double check it. After the rescore, it became a 7 :(

Originally posted by Mike59
Someone who took the MCAT around the same time as me said they knew someone who got their MCAT rescored because they were unhappy with the 8 verbal and wanted to double check it. After the rescore, it became a 7 :(

I have heard similar stories.

Having it rescored is a crock, in my opinion. You have to give them something like 35 dollars and I would bet that they don't do anything. I had my writing sample rescored and it came back exactly the same. It's a conspiracy....A CONSPIRACY!!!! (can you tell I am still bitter two years later?)

from what i've heard, they have NEVER raised a score in the VR, PS or BS....they either lower it or keep it the same (most likely)........the WS is possible to raise or lower, but who cares about this one.............

nero

What would result in a lower score? The machine misreading and marking something correct when it isn't? Wonder what would make the machine do that. Hrmm maybe if you did it on all the questions...

I was just really surprised I did better on the biology than the physics section. Never on any practice tests did it work out that way. And not only that I only took 1 biology course and 1 biochem course prior to taking the exam yet i took a ton of engineering type courses.

Originally posted by Mike59

NO F*CKING WAY!!!!.....I can't believe that. Even my most anal professors in undergrad who absolutely despised pre-meds would never lower a score after it was graded; but, the MCAT website does say this is a possibility.

I did submit for a regrade of my verbal, I paid about fifty dollars and it took about two weeks...they said it can take up to six weeks. Well, the grade stayed the same unfortunately.

I would have loved to actually see them grade it and I would love to know the raw score conversions. Why don't they post that information?

Oh yeah, I wonder if they actually have some sort of policy that states they will never raise a grade? Because if stories circulated that they did raise grades then everyone not happy with their scores would resubmit...totally backlogging an already congested system.

My premed advisor told me she never has had a score raised and her friend, pre-med adivsor at another school, never had a score raised in 30 years of advising premeds....Consipiracy?!?!?