Anyone else applying to programs in Florida?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hector82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to see who else is out there in the same boat as me.

I'm applying to/or already have applied to:

USF(applied)
UF (working on the essay)
UM (applied)
Nova (Working on essay)
FIU (applied)
UCF (still in the planning phase)

Man oh man... am I sick of writing admissions essays!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to UF, UCF and USF. I'm fairly confident I'll get into UF and UCF. I've heard USF does rolling admissions but the site indicates it doesn't so I emailed them and have gotten no response yet. I need to know if I should apply to USF now or wait like I am the other schools so I can get more volunteer hours.

I dropped of my application to USF on Monday.

I know a couple of people that are currently in the program at USF..their remark to me about rolling admissions/early acceptance was to get your application in as early as possible. I'm not sure exactly what they were insinuating, either way I don't want to take any chances.

Yea, I'm not sure about the volunteer hours thing either. I'm surprised they haven't emailed you back yet. USF is usually pretty good about returning emails..

I will say this though...make sure when you get those hours...that the PT puts the license number and the state of licensure. USF Admissions had to mail mine back to the clinic where i did my hours, since 2/3 of my hours forms didn't have license numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im currently a student at Nova's DPT program and got in to both Nova and UCF. If you guys have any questions about the application process, admissions, or anything about the programs themselves, go ahead and PM me. My friend is currently at UCF and not really liking it (I went their for undergrad and didn't like it too much myself), but I could tell you I am at Nova right now and absolutely LOVE how professional the setting is, as well as the top notch professors here.

So I found out that USF does NOT do rolling admissions anymore as the website now indicates. They select 36 students and have a 50 student waiting list. The applicants will be notified no later than Feb 1, 2010 which is good. Also, I made sure to tell the PT to put his license number on the sheets and the state. I'll have to remember that for the other forms as well. I also found out that the clinical sheets don't have to be mailed directly from the PT and can be mailed by me as long as the signature is on the flap of the envelope... any other tidbits I need to be aware of? I need to contact UCF about observation forms. They don't have an actual form to fill out which is weird.

UCF doesn't have observation forms? Weird.

My letters didn't have the signatures over the envelope flap. Oh well.

To be honest, im starting to feel worse and worse asking the PT's for letters,signatures, and other admissions items. I feel like schools put the applicant in compromising positions with the PT's. I mean if you apply to 3 schools, that's a lot of annoying little forms for the PT's to fill out. How are you showing gratitude? I was thinking of buying them something, perhaps flowers or Gift cards? I just don't want to sour the relationships I've built by asking for an overload of favors.

Hector82 - don't feel bad about asking for the letters from the PTs - believe me, they have all been through the process too.

I have written reference letters as a professional prior to returning to PT school, and if it's someone I truly think is deserving of a new job, or a spot in school, I'm more than happy to assist. What goes around, comes around!

Hey Hector, if your PT sent the clinical letters to USF directly and didn't sign the flap then it's ok. If you sent them from your address then it's not ok and you have to get them to sign the flap of the envelope which is what I'm doing. I know it sounds kinda confusing. I'm starting to get nervous about getting into school. I think I've got a really good shot. What do ya guys think?

My first choice is UF. But I'm applying to UCF and USF as well.
Major: Biochemistry
Pre-req GPA: 3.75
Upper-division GPA: 3.59 (it's biochem...) hopefully theyll take that into ac.
GRE: 480 V 620 A 4.5 AW

Was in the college marching band for a year. Did a DIS research project for a semester. Worked at Publix for 4 years and counting... Was part of a few clubs.

4 LOR's from people I've know for awhile...
Volunteer (so far trying to get to 200 hours):
Inpatient: 25 hours
Outpatient:62 hours
Specialty: Nursing home: 51 hours Orthopedics: 19 hours
Total: 157 hours so far...

I wrote my essays and I think they separate myself from the crowd by providing a unique exp. on why I want to be a PT but thats my opinion. We will have to see. :D

anyone submitted any apps already? im close to sending mine for UF and UCF. i still have some work to do on the USF essay. i will have 225 hours soon and then i will submit. i know, call me crazy but i don't want to wait another year. :)

I guess I'm the only one who still looks at this topic lol. I'm sending in my app to UF tomorrow!! I got 225 hours total which is awesome. I'm super pumped about it but the wait is going to kill me towards December. I don't find out until February which is a ways a way...

I'm getting the UCF app in soon. USF will be done sometime soon I've been procrastinating the essay section.

How about anyone else?

I guess I'm the only one who still looks at this topic lol. I'm sending in my app to UF tomorrow!! I got 225 hours total which is awesome. I'm super pumped about it but the wait is going to kill me towards December. I don't find out until February which is a ways a way...

I'm getting the UCF app in soon. USF will be done sometime soon I've been procrastinating the essay section.

How about anyone else?

I'm checking out the topic. I just finished sending in all my applications throughout FL. Good luck to you and me! I hate the anxious wait also

Last edited:
Hey guys, not sure if anyone still looks at this topic, but if so, I just wanted to give you all an update and find out whats going on with you guys. I already posted a new thread in regards to this, but I figured I'd pose here too.

I have a phone scheduled interview this saturday with Nova, pretty pumped!
However, I still haven't heard anything from, (USF UF UM UCF FIU), but ill keep you guys posted if/when I do.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
You won't hear from UF UCF or USF until January at the earliest. Those are the only three schools I applied to so it keeps it simple right now. All I have to do is wait...

Hey guys, not sure if anyone still looks at this topic, but if so, I just wanted to give you all an update and find out whats going on with you guys. I already posted a new thread in regards to this, but I figured I'd pose here too.

I have a phone scheduled interview this saturday with Nova, pretty pumped!
However, I still haven't heard anything from, (USF UF UM UCF FIU), but ill keep you guys posted if/when I do.

Good luck.

How did the interview with Nova go?

I just got an email with an acceptance to the University of Florida! YES!!!!! And I just sent in my USF app and was about to send in my UCF app....haha! My acceptance was REALLY early I found out bc they normally don't accept until January-March. btw, my stats are above in this thread. only thing that is different is volunteer hours. i had 225 total in the end. it was a good balance of inpatient, outpatient, nursing home, and ortho. good luck to the rest of you!

The Nova interview went very well. I looked up a bunch of sample interview questions before hand and it definitely helped a lot. There were about 6 questions or so.. and the interview went for about 35 min...She gave me some positive feedback mentioning that "I had done my research" and "sounded prepared" But, yea the interview went excellent.

Here are my stats by the way:

Pre-req GPA: 3.5
Upper-division GPA: 3.67
GRE: 510 V 580 A 4.0 AW

3 Great LOR
210 Volunteer hours

My first choice is Miami

I applied to UF back in Oct havent heard anything yet? anyone get accepted???

My GPA 3.95
pre req 3.91
GRE 400v 620Q 5 W
5 LOR
155+ volunteer hours

Last edited:
i was accepted a month ago, DPT4me. ^^^read posts above for stats. i ended up with 225 hours total in 4 areas. i went to the UF open house too which im pretty sure helped since i mentioned it in my essay... dont be worried though. the majority of their admission decisions occur between Jan-March. Amy should've told you that when you applied. if you have any questions just PM me.

P.S. im looking for a roommate (if you're a guy) if you get in def need to get your contact info.

I went to the Open house also last Feb. Appled in Oct, when did you apply? UF was one of my top choices also I like Emory also applied to UM, FIU, Duke and Columbia, VCU. Been to quite a few open houses. I did my undergrad in 3 years in Exercise Science. Even though I have a high GPA I worried about my GRE's didnt do as well as I thought!
Was worried about the PTCAS sending out my applications so late and missing some deadlines.
I will keep you posted, hopefully I get in!

ha hopefully ill keep a tab on this thread so i dont completely forget about it. i visit this thread about once a month since it began awhilllee ago. make sure you keep me posted. it would funny if you got in and i met you not knowing you were dpt4me on SDN. what is your top choice btw? i liked Duke of the few you mentioned but tuition is a top priority for me. ive always wanted to go to UF in the first place despite growing up in tallahassee as a diehard Nole fan. my stats aren't as good as yours even when it comes to pre-reqs so i would say you should get in. my GRE was 1100...they barely factor that in they told me.

it may have been the essay then for me. i made it very personal; it was really an experience/story i had with a PT and some crazy events that occurred that probably would be intriguing for any admissions committee.

anyways, keep me POSTED! still looking for a potential roommate.

I could see how you think it's about "partying" but I'm sure it's better than FSU in that regard lol. Which is where I went. I haven't actually been through the DPT program but from going to the open house and actually personally knowing some of the students in the program it is VERY professional. Don't diss it too much. No beach= I stayed focused. I might take a beach once I'm in that great job.

What are tuition rates in other FL schools? Correct me if I'm wrong but they are extremely comparable except for St. Aug which is about 30k a year.

The UF DPT program also has awesome clinical sites around the country for internships over 250 sites. You actually have more internships and time than St. Aug...have you actually looked into the specific program or discredited it because of your view on the university as a whole?

What are the pass rates for all of the schools? Just about everyone passes the lincensure exam...

Anyways, if UF is not good then where are you going?

Okay FLsurferDPT, I just learned a few things about FGCU... it's about 30k a year there instead of 57k at UF. that is VERY nice. i thought i was getting a deal by not going to St. Aug where they are paying about 90k a year! i could see why you would want to go there... I'm tempted to apply there. prob can't now because of the deadline but dang. you prob got a good deal! you will have a much higher cost of living though...that will def take the difference down betw 57k and 30k. i would guess it's about 20k difference (w/COL factored in) which is still nice! anything i missed?

Ah I'm looking to take up a traveling PT job right out of grad school. They pay a pretty penny I found out about a month ago. When I was shadowing I told them I was guessing I would make 50-60k starting out and they laughed at me. This was a inpatient rehab center though, and they said no you'll be making 20k more than that. I find it hard to believe but with nursing homes I don't at all...not after what I've heard from real PTs. Also, if you take up a traveling job you can make from 90-120k. And if you don't, and you decided to do home health on the side....that's another 20k added to your base 60k. It could be nice. The options are out there you just have to find them... i hope you get in! Where else are you applying?

I just found this website and love it! Wish I would have found it sooner...

I'm accepted at UNF and UF. I live in Jacksonville so UNF would be convenient but I did undergrad at UF and would love to get back to Gainesville. We'll see!

I went to UNF's open house and liked it. The current DPT students were very friendly and it seemed like at least half of them did undergrad at UF. Has anyone else heard anything positive or negative about their program?

I know, DPTgirl13, you've been snoozing on the same websites for way too long. every once in awhile you gotta branch out! This website is very informative and interesting. If tuition is cheaper at UNF it would be a tough decision but I assume it is hard for you bc you want to live with your parents? That would save A LOT of money so I understand that. I've heard so much negativity about Gainesville it's good to see someone who may actually like it over there...lol. I didn't even apply to UNF and don't really know much about the program.

I think I may take my avatar off as it is even getting annoying to me since I did my undergrad at FSU. I like this logo better than the fat gator head that's for sure.

I just found this website and love it! Wish I would have found it sooner...

I'm accepted at UNF and UF. I live in Jacksonville so UNF would be convenient but I did undergrad at UF and would love to get back to Gainesville. We'll see!

I went to UNF's open house and liked it. The current DPT students were very friendly and it seemed like at least half of them did undergrad at UF. Has anyone else heard anything positive or negative about their program?

DPTgirl13, when did u hear back from UF?