Anyone else excited to quit their job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

packersfans

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was flipping through some existing threads and I saw plenty on quitting your job to start the premed journey (prereqs, mcat, etc), anyone excited to be quitting their job to end the premed journey?

I know that I am extremely excited to be starting med school this fall and cannot wait to quit my job for a myriad of reasons. Looking to give my two weeks notice in the next several weeks ( feeling nervous/excited). For me, hoping/knowing that I will be leaving to return to school has been tough over the last 2 years and I'm excited to be so close to my goal. Anyone else feeling similar?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Cannot wait for that day.

Reactions: 3 users
The day I officially no longer have to work in this miserable field will be the best ever. Unfortunately, that's another two years out for me, at best. Might be able to look for something else once I finish my prereqs in December since I only do this job because it mostly allows me to study when I need to. I've had people tell me the worst part about med school is it becomes your job, and I'm just kind of like, "New job? YES PLEASE "

Members don't see this ad :)
While I am looking forward to starting medical school I cannot claim that I am super excited about quitting my job. I like the unit and the people I work with. They have known for months that I am gonna leave, so there is minimal suspense there. And I am certainly not doing this just to 'stick it' to any of them. In fact, the only reason I have a DO letter is cause of my job, and I am grateful for that.

I am excited about taking my game up to the next level for medical school though. Its gonna be something else, and hard as heck. But just like after a hards day work, I usually feel great when I get home, knowing that I kicked some butt. Looking forward to that feeling after the first semester.

Reactions: 1 user
I quit temporarily to finish my pre-reqs and was absolutely loving life. I started working as a scribe to pad my applications a bit, but I absolutely cannot wait to be able to quit again for med school. I enjoy school and studying (too bad that wasn't the case 10 years ago in high school) so despite the intensity I think life as a med student will be much better than life with a dead end job.

I turned in my laptop, ID and corporate credit cards on December 12th and that was definitely one of the best days I've had in a long time.

Reactions: 2 users
Goodbye Retail, Forever!

While the temporary loss of a large paycheck will be tough, having the freedom to actually pursue what I want when I quit my job this summer will be absolutely priceless.

56 days left. I count each and everyday. If i didnt need the $$$, i would have walked away but you gotta do what you gotta do.

However, each time I am in between school and i work a job that is has nothing to do with my career choice and annoys me. I am reminded each and everyday what I am working towards.

I kept extending my end date because I'm such a nice guy and then they pulled the per diem and I was done.

56 days left. I count each and everyday. If i didnt need the $$$, i would have walked away but you gotta do what you gotta do.

However, each time I am in between school and i work a job that is has nothing to do with my career choice and annoys me. I am reminded each and everyday what I am working towards.
Eyes on the prize.

I'll be joining the club in about half a year and I'm literally counting down the days. Earning money is nice but I really don't enjoy what I do anymore and look forward to being able to spend more time getting clinical exposure!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a high paying job but missing a calling. I am contributing but I feel I can give more meaning. I'm working on my application for post bacc premed. I only target 3 schools to get in by spring. Is that enough for post bacc application? Any advise from here would be appreciated.
I am going to volunteer in hospital by June for 6 months while waiting.
Life gave me a reason to pursue this. I knew it as a kid. But somehow I chose the hard part which is the non-trad. I'm drafting my personal statement. I will be 40 though by Spring. However, I have a passion to do this. Once I decide, there is no turning back. All the schools that I am applying for are in East coast. What's the chances if I only have 3 applications for post bacc pre med. I really want to know so I can prepare more application if needed for other schools. Right now, the three are NYU, Columbia and Harvard Extension.
I don't mind living in simple means to go back to school and pursue my dream. It will be a fun ride.

Got out at the end of April and start taking summer classes in May. I admit I feel much happier. Treat it like a band-aid, OP, with no hesitation.

I am sooooooooo excited to quit in less than a month. I have already cut back on my hours which I'm so happy about. Starting med school in August. But first, a solid amount of time off to travel and hang out with family. I spend my days looking at the calendar and counting down the weeks. Wish I could quit sooner.

Enjoy the journey, you wont be able to get that time back.

Just finished first year. I still start each day the same way, by walking down the hall to my classes thinking, "Holy crap I can't believe I am here instead of that god forsaken corporate hellhole." It never gets old, man I love med school.

Reactions: 4 users
Wanted to follow up on this.

Quitting went really well. Most people were bummed I was leaving, because they said they enjoyed working with me, but overall people were generally excited for my next step. Even some of the company die-hards stopped by to say some nice things.

Keeping my exit interview friendly with lots of compliments for others probably helped my exit as well.

Gave plenty of notice about a week ago and this morning they asked to extend to 8 weeks... omg, I might not make it.

Left my 150K/year job, sold the house, sold my brand new pickup, packed it all up and moved from ND to AZ.....life couldn't be better. Many new opportunities on the horizon!

I'm so jealous of you all! I probably won't be able to quit until I matriculate since the kids like to eat and such.

In the same boat, have a mortgage and can't quit until accepted - I wrote out a long post about how excited I am, but decided it would probably be better to not say. Let's just say my job hasn't exactly been the most pleasurable experience. I am the person in the middle of a two department fight that has nothing to do with me, and started as a consultant that had to implement changes after a state audit found some issues. Medical staff don't like people coming in and changing things they've been doing for years a certain way, no mater if the change is right or not. :bang::welcome:

Saw this thread while working my last shift as a Respiratory therapist! Very excited to leave and move on to bigger and better things.

Last day is this Friday! Ill miss some of the people but the corporation and management are awful, overall I couldn't be happier to be leaving.

I have to turn in my company car Friday too...haven't paid for gas in over four years, i think I'm more stressed about that then med school.

I was always the person who said "If you do what you love for a living, you will never work a day in your life."

There are definitely a lot of things I am going to miss especially since I was running my own business doing things I liked for the most part. No job to quit really. Wouldn't surprise me if the hours were just cut way back in medical school and I just do a few hours as the work comes in. I am raising all my prices though and severely limiting my hours. If they want to compete with medical school, they can pay a premium and I know some of my clients will pay it.

Say no?!?!
Seriously. I originally wanted to be done in October, but got talked into one more trip to China Lake and ended up not getting free until just before Christmas.

So done with jet noise....

I still have three more weeks of my contract. Can't wait to be done, of course I will miss the income and lifestyle, but I'm excited to get started on this next phase!'

1 month left for me.... Overall it's been a good experience and this research position ultimately guided me into pursuing medical school. I really like (pretty much) everyone I work with, and it will suck to watch all the money I've earned and saved up get Criss Angel'ed and disappear. But I've known for years that I desperately want to become a physician and would never feel complete doing only research. So I'm nostalgic, but definitely glad to move out of here and start a new, difficult, and exciting chapter. Some are going to call me crazy but I think I'll be a lot happier in medical school than I've been working here the past 4.5 years.