Anyone else feeling really depressed about this process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really didn't want to post this, and I've kept it to myself for a long time now, but heck i am really getting depressed. Maybe i've just been having a bad day, bad week....i've got a couple major things going on but that's irrelevant. I'm really happy for everyone's acceptances (even if i don't know you!) and for everyone's interview invites..I think it's great!! And I really mean it, but i guess it just makes it so much more apparent that i have heard NOTHING!!! I've been trying to ignore it, and to avoid posting it or even thinking about it...but it's REALLY getting to me now!!

ok sorry about that...i just REALLY needed to vent.

Members don't see this ad.

Psycho Doctor said:
I really didn't want to post this, and I've kept it to myself for a long time now, but heck i am really getting depressed. Maybe i've just been having a bad day, bad week....i've got a couple major things going on but that's irrelevant. I'm really happy for everyone's acceptances (even if i don't know you!) and for everyone's interview invites..I think it's great!! And I really mean it, but i guess it just makes it so much more apparent that i have heard NOTHING!!! I've been trying to ignore it, and to avoid posting it or even thinking about it...but it's REALLY getting to me now!!

Yeah, I know exactly how you feel...I have heard from only one school and that was about a month ago. It emotionally exhausting. It's been really tough for me because I am in a serious relationship, but I don't know where I will be next year (if I get in somewhere). I bet a lot of applicants feel the same way we do. I guess I will just try to focus my nervous energy on trying to do something positive like I guess studying for the August MCAT. It really sucks, because I think my stats are ok and it makes me wonder if there is a black mark by my name or something!

studying for the August MCAT?

am i missing something here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho Doctor said:

Psycho, you've said that you took the August MCAT for the first time, right. Thus you probably wont hear that much until the scores come back. Most of the other people who have received secondaries or interviews HAVE MCAT scores. Don't take it personally or let it get to you, it's just how the process works. October is right around the corner so hang in there.

Psycho Doctor said:
studying for the August MCAT?

am i missing something here?

Oops... I meant April 2005 MCAT. I was trying to talk on the phone, type and eat at the same time.

It's early in the season. Don't be so hard on yourself. :)

doctors orders for psycho:

LAY OFF OF SDN FOR A WEEK.

call me the next morning.

Psycho Doctor said:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=149362&highlight=secret

Maybe you can give up your anonymity and thus generate an intense and exciting discussion which could lift your mood!

(scroll to the middle of the thread to see the comment by psycho about his 'secret')

Psycho Doctor said:

Dear Psychodoctor,
I hear you.
I think one thing that I have learnt in the past is that it is okay to feel badly when things in your life is NOT going as you planned or wanted to. Don't try to ignore it, but accept it and be patient... It is really hard to, but heck- what else do we have left to do anyway?

J

Psycho Doctor said:

Hey Psycho Doctor,
I can understand your feelings - I've been almost depressed myself at times during the pre-med tunnel. The stress can really do that to you. You just have to try to keep yourself grounded and remind yourself of all the really important things in life, like family and friends. I realized that there are tons of terrible things that can happen in life, that happen every day to people. And when it comes down to it, not getting into medical school, or not getting the MCAT score or grade you want, isn't really one of them. It's hard to maintain that mindset when you're in the thick of the process, but it's true. Good luck with your apps (and if you took the Aug MCATs, you really shouldn't be worrying - way too early for you August folks to be getting interviews. Don't worry, they'll come in droves in a month or two).

dr_stinky said:

This is probably the best advice given. :thumbup:

Yeah I feel you Psycho. School, work, volunteering, and secondaries are totally stressing me out. I have this cycle going for myself. I am so busy that I need coffee to keep myself going, but I end up drinking ~3 cups a day and realize I need to cut back. However to stop drinking coffee is suicide. I get killer headaches that render me useless for about 2 days. However I can't afford to be "off" for 2 consecutive days so I simply quell this pain with more coffee - anyways you're SO not the only one waiting on interviews while having to do ****loads of other stuff. Hang in there

SitraAchra said:
Yeah I feel you Psycho. School, work, volunteering, and secondaries are totally stressing me out. I have this cycle going for myself. I am so busy that I need coffee to keep myself going, but I end up drinking ~3 cups a day and realize I need to cut back. However to stop drinking coffee is suicide. I get killer headaches that render me useless for about 2 days. However I can't afford to be "off" for 2 consecutive days so I simply quell this pain with more coffee - anyways you're SO not the only one waiting on interviews while having to do ****loads of other stuff. Hang in there

so apparently this is a stressful process that could make you psycho or even worse make you psycho AND addicted to drugs.

can't you all just chill out a little bit? geez... what's the point of wanting to be a doctor so bad and ruining your lives along with it? besides, i'm sure it will happen eventually for everyone, maybe with multiple tries for some people... just let things be.

Members don't see this ad :)
littleroo said:
Is the 'secret' that he's currently an enrolled student at Cornell? I think so...

I can't believe how awesome I am! :laugh:
undergrad or med school? cuz if its undergrad, I dont see how that 'secret' could really affect anything.

dr_stinky said:

hahaha i seriously might have to, i really think it's getting to me; in fact everything on the internet was getting to me today :(

that is not helping one bit :mad:

SitraAchra said:

you think 3 cups of coffee is bad? i have that much by 8 AM and drink it all day; if i pull an all-nighter i hate to even think how much coffee i drink :(

Thanks everyone for the words of confidence. Intellectually i know i can't get any interviews or anything until they get my MCAT score but it's just so darn frustrating. And i guess it's the first time i've allowed myself to think about the MCAT since shortly after i took it and to consider the ramifications of a really bad score.

i think it's pathetic that i experience caffeine withdrawl. i mean i can see if i shot up heroin or something, but i just like a hot cup in the morning and later in the day. maybe cuz it's starbucks, that stuff is damn strong.

:( i suppose i'd experience it too if i ever withdrew from it....

From prior experience, I can tell you that applying to medical school is a challenging process. It is inherently unpredictable and must be thought akin to a lottery. Don't give up hope but look for activities other then checking for new messages 500 times a day (if that is possible).

MDHub said:
From prior experience, I can tell you that applying to medical school is a challenging process. It is inherently unpredictable and must be thought akin to a lottery. Don't give up hope but look for activities other then checking for new messages 500 times a day (if that is possible).

i'm actually not even checking for messages since i know there won't be any, at least not until after i get my scores, but i guess i'm already imagining being in that realm and it's depressing. and i actually did plan a busy schedue of classes, volunteer work and ECs so i wouldn't have to think about it...it worked for awhile but started failing big time today. :(

So What's Your 'secret' Psycho????

SitraAchra said:
i think it's pathetic that i experience caffeine withdrawl. i mean i can see if i shot up heroin or something, but i just like a hot cup in the morning and later in the day. maybe cuz it's starbucks, that stuff is damn strong.

You think that's pathetic? How about Dr. Pepper withdrawal? :laugh:

Hey Psycho Doctor, I think a lot of people remember you from your MCAT posting. You tend to get pretty nervous and I remember people constantly telling you to relax.

I was just wondering what you do in your free time? All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, or at least that's what I've found out. Sometimes I need to fit in time to hang out with my girlfriend, chill, or go out to the movies or something, even if it's incredibly hard to fit in my schedule. Taking the time out to relax and enjoy yourself is just as important as studying.

ifailedmcat said:
You think that's pathetic? How about Dr. Pepper withdrawal? :laugh:

Hey Psycho Doctor, I think a lot of people remember you from your MCAT posting. You tend to get pretty nervous and I remember people constantly telling you to relax.

I was just wondering what you do in your free time? All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, or at least that's what I've found out. Sometimes I need to fit in time to hang out with my girlfriend, chill, or go out to the movies or something, even if it's incredibly hard to fit in my schedule. Taking the time out to relax and enjoy yourself is just as important as studying.

haha i'm actually not generally viewed as a nervous person in real life. perhaps i am more expressive on the internet :oops: . And i occupy my free time with plenty of things other than studying..perhaps that's one of my problems, i tend to socialize and hang out with friends in addition to clubs, ECs, and volunteer work, such that i often end up staying up half the night (or all night fairly often) trying to ge tmy work done. And yea i wish i could hang out with my gf except she was home for the summer when i was overwhelmed with summer school and the MCAT studying in addition to volunteer work, etc etc, and now she is far away at school....and yea i miss her incredibly :(

***makes mental note to call the airlines to fly out to see her

it's no big deal, it was just the point of what fireboy said that was ridiculous...just forget it

PsychoDoc,

Hey, look on the bright side.... when you start getting tons of interviews, you can visit your gf on the way. I mean flights are so damn expensive, you might as well visit people you never get to see & do this med school stuff at the same time. See..... now you have something to look forward to :laugh:

WHAT? People actually think you're calm in real life??? Impossible! (Just kidding :laugh: You know I think you're awesome)

Psycho Doctor said:

Don't be depressed. I know exactly what you are going through, because it took me forever to get my first acceptance. It is still very early in the process, and there is lots of time left to hear something.

If it makes ya feel any better, I got into my first choice school two days before it started. Trust me, it is still REALLY early. And when you do get your acceptance, it will feel that much better. :D

Perhaps this thread from last year will give you some hope :)

August MCATers

:luck: Treg

Psycho, If you took the august mcat then please stfu up.

Thanks,
Management

Shouldn't it just be 'stfu'?
isn't 'stfu up' redundant?

the management would be alittle more sympathetic...don't ya think?

tinkerbelle said:
PsychoDoc,

Hey, look on the bright side.... when you start getting tons of interviews, you can visit your gf on the way. I mean flights are so damn expensive, you might as well visit people you never get to see & do this med school stuff at the same time. See..... now you have something to look forward to :laugh:

:thumbup: :love: hey thanks!!!! now that is a good thing...IF i ever get an interview :thumbdown: :(
tinkerbelle said:
WHAT? People actually think you're calm in real life??? Impossible! (Just kidding :laugh: You know I think you're awesome)

yea believe it or not i console the gunners :oops:

Treg said:
Perhaps this thread from last year will give you some hope :)

August MCATers

:luck: Treg

i'm not sure how that's supposed to make me feel better...let me check it again later..thanks, i got to run

psycho, the harder the process is, the more beautiful the rewards will be. take it one day at a time, and remember, it's september. not march, things should be o.k.

when you get in, it will be great.
check out the Med School App. Discussion Thread

I'm going have to agree that if you took the August MCAT, you should stop worrying. The time has not yet arrived.

It's the waiting I hate more than anything. It's in the waiting that we begin to doubt and stress and fret and second guess and get depressed. Hang in there. :thumbup:

NYCDesi said:
So What's Your 'secret' Psycho????

He must be the son of a famous politician, or maybe a hollywood star. Why else would revealing it destroy his anonymity?

just to comfort you...interviewing early in the season means nothing at some schools like VCU, the dean basically told us that they don't fill the class until march. less than 5% of the class is filled by oct. 15th, everybody else who interviewed is either put on hold or rejected. the trend continues with december having the most offers.

since this is a school with rolling admissions...don't sweat it..i'm sure there are many schools with similar processes. the aug. scores might be holding you back a bit..but no worries...not that many medical schools are rushing to fill their classes as it won't be fair to others...

good luck and share the good news with us!

dandelion said:
He must be the son of a famous politician, or maybe a hollywood star. Why else would revealing it destroy his anonymity?
Maybe it's that he attended some prestigious undergrad institution? As I recall, he mentioned the existence of his secret when some troll rudely and gratuitously called into question whether he was good enough for a med school like cornell.

I'm with you PsychoDr. Lately I've really been struggling with this whole thing too, even though as an April MCATer I guess that I'm further in the process, but am feeling just as stuck. It seemed like while the secondaries were rolling in things were awesome. Everyone liked me, it was only a matter of time until I would be wading through acceptances. Then, my LOR writers were a little slow on getting there stuff in and everything ground to a halt. Now, only half of my files are complete and I haven't heard anything new in quite some time. Lately I have been compulsively checking email and snail mail.

But, I guess these feelings are pretty normal. We're all on SDN because we are excited about the possibility of going to medical school and we need to talk to others in the same place. As a postbaccalaureate student, I don't have a lot of friends in the neighborhood in the same spot I am, so SDN is doing me a world of good.

Let's all hang in there. Unfortunately, this process isn't even close to being finished. It's likely that we won't have a good idea of where our lives are going until next spring. I guess we have to live in the moment. Enjoy the fall colors, study hard, and remember that we volunteer and do ECs because we like them and get fulfillment out of them.

Peace to you all,
Diana :laugh: :laugh:

I haven't heard anything either. My files were complete mid-August with LOR. I guess my stats aren't stellar like most people here.

dandelion said:

no, i'm actually a nobody...even a small town guy, but i just rather not start giving out too much info about me..i don't know why, this whole internet things seems freaky to me at times

DianaLynne said:
I'm with you PsychoDr. Lately I've really been struggling with this whole thing too, even though as an April MCATer I guess that I'm further in the process, but am feeling just as stuck. It seemed like while the secondaries were rolling in things were awesome. Everyone liked me, it was only a matter of time until I would be wading through acceptances. Then, my LOR writers were a little slow on getting there stuff in and everything ground to a halt. Now, only half of my files are complete and I haven't heard anything new in quite some time. Lately I have been compulsively checking email and snail mail.

But, I guess these feelings are pretty normal. We're all on SDN because we are excited about the possibility of going to medical school and we need to talk to others in the same place. As a postbaccalaureate student, I don't have a lot of friends in the neighborhood in the same spot I am, so SDN is doing me a world of good.

Let's all hang in there. Unfortunately, this process isn't even close to being finished. It's likely that we won't have a good idea of where our lives are going until next spring. I guess we have to live in the moment. Enjoy the fall colors, study hard, and remember that we volunteer and do ECs because we like them and get fulfillment out of them.

Peace to you all,
Diana :laugh: :laugh:

right on, sister