Anyone else finding their classes to be easy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jagibbs07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I talked to a kid today who thinks pre med is pathetically "easy" whereas I am having a pretty hard time keeping my 3.7. Do you all struggle with your classes like me or do you find them to be easy? Im starting to think I don't have what it takes to become a doctor since I'm only a freshman and am already struggling.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I talked to a kid today who thinks pre med is pathetically "easy" whereas I am having a pretty hard time keeping my 3.7. Do you all struggle with your classes like me or do you find them to be easy? Im starting to think I don't have what it takes to become a doctor since I'm only a freshman and am already struggling.

Nice save, you were about to get flamed big time.

is he a psych major or something?

Yeah it shouldn't be that easy if you go to a 4-year university.

Members don't see this ad :)

it depends on what school you go to. At my school its VERY difficult to get a 3.7+

I never had a time in undergrad where I felt like I couldn't understand the material if I put in the effort. It just took dedicating the time. I think the pre-reqs for medical school were some of my "easier" science courses since they're obviously more basic. I wouldn't say it was pathetically easy, but it wasn't THAT hard either. Everyone's different.

If you can keep a 3.7 moving forward and can score in the 30s on your MCAT, you have what it takes to become a doctor. It just takes time and some sacrifice.

it depends on what school you go to. At my school its VERY difficult to get a 3.7+

This. I know some of the dumbest people from high school majoring in engineering at some really easy colleges with 4.0s.

It depends on who you're competing with. Generally, the lower ranked the college is, the easier it is to get a high GPA since you'll be one of the smartest there.

A 3.7 at MIT/Berkeley is VERY different from a 3.7 at, say, Liberty University.

This. I know some of the dumbest people from high school majoring in engineering at some really easy colleges with 4.0s.

It depends on who you're competing with. Generally, the lower ranked the college is, the easier it is to get a high GPA since you'll be one of the smartest there.

A 3.7 at MIT/Berkeley is VERY different from a 3.7 at, say, Liberty University.

I always feel like medical schools don't give enough credit for the difficulty of one's program. Majoring in biochemistry or engineering and graduating with a 3.5 IS more impressive than majoring in IR with a 3.8. Yet the IR major would probably have a better chance at getting in.

Then again i suppose thats where the MCAT score comes in to equalize everything.

Yeah, it's all about your school and specific program. If you're having trouble making grades, I might suggest foregoing some of the upper level bio courses if you don't need them. I often found that my upper level bio and chem classes were almost all set up as weeders. The biochem, physiology, and fundamental genetics courses all had harsh curves, really focused on details, and you were competing with grad students. I was pissed when people told me they were taking classes like food science for 3 and 400 level bio courses and it was easy as hell.

I always feel like medical schools don't give enough credit for the difficulty of one's program. Majoring in biochemistry or engineering and graduating with a 3.5 IS more impressive than majoring in IR with a 3.8. Yet the IR major would probably have a better chance at getting in.

Then again i suppose thats where the MCAT score comes in to equalize everything.

One could say the easier majors have more time to study for the MCAT since I doubt their classes are as intense as engineering/science classes. So they have more time, less stress, higher GPAs :/

Honestly? No. I have a bit of a special case-I'm at a Community College that feeds into a local University that has a very good Engineering program, and the average GPA graduating is quite low, I believe around a 3.0 or less. And yet, from anyone who transfers over, our teachers at the CC are much tougher and better than the ones at the university, at least in math and sciences.

So keeping up with these engineering classes as well as premed prereqs kicks my ass!

I think another aspect is in the long picture, much of the material learned in our UG isn't used in medicine. Sure, critical thinking and problem solving, but actual material? Not much transfers. So for me, it's hard to keep my eye on the prize, so to speak, at times.

Seems like the people who got really good SAT/ACT scores and have their hearts set on being a doctor should major in English and take the prereq's. That way they can spend their entire undergrad career preparing for VR and get teh good GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
One could say the easier majors have more time to study for the MCAT since I doubt their classes are as intense as engineering/science classes. So they have more time, less stress, higher GPAs :/

yeah true, but one could argue that a well seasoned science major would have to put less time into studying for the MCAT since they're accustomed to the topic. For example if you asked an english major how many hydrogen bonds a C:G base pairing has would they know that off the top of their heads? probably not. A science major probably will; not because they've studied it recently but rather they've seen it too many times to forget

Because writing extensive papers analyzing current and past international politics is easier than calculating dipole moments and memorizing cell signaling pathways? This has been said before, but you can't make comparisons like this. The generalizations just don't hold up.
FranZ has a point.. i've taken 2 psych classes and they've both been a walk in the park..
So these were upper level psychology courses then? You know, the kind that make up the majority of the study a psych major pursues? Regardless of your experience, we all know that generalizing based on anecdotes is logically unsound. In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if many times attitudes like these stem from cases where a student takes an intro course (general psychology or the equivalent from X department) and assumes because it was easy that the whole major is easy. Adding to that may be the perception that students in X department (where the intro course was easy) seem to do well, though one would do well to remember that there is likely self-selection going on here. Students that do well in a particular course of study likely chose it out of intrinsic interest and motivation to pursue the material, which would contribute to their success.

Are some majors easier than others at any given school? Probably (though there may be exceptions for very rigorous schools.) Are any majors unequivocally easier than others for everyone at every school? There is no way to confidently make such a claim.

Personally, I wouldn't want to pursue medical school if I was already struggling with freshmen classes. Yes, you do start to connect the dots between subjects as you learn more science and in some ways it gets easier, but some people are more naturally inclined to see those big pictures. When I finally started noticing unifying concepts, I stopped studying so much and actually did better. Others never have those "ah-ha" moments and their courses continue to be major hurdles.

Courses will get harder and the workloads will increase. If you feel like you don't have time for extracurriculars and socializing at this stage, why bother? You didn't say that was the case, but still it sounds like something's awry...If you are still enjoying it, then just don't listen to that kid. He may be a genius or he could be lying about his grades. You can only do what you're capable of.

The couple upper level bio classes I've taken were easy. They were rote memorization classes with very little conceptual emphasis. General chemistry was straight forward, physics was a bit confusing but more or less straight forward. I did poorly with organic chemistry, but I think that I could do much better if I retook the class. My upper level math classes (I'm a math major) are getting tough. The applied courses weren't too bad, but I'm really struggling in a pure math course because it's so damned abstract and pointless. :thumbdown:

My advice? Major in biology if you find biology easy. If you suck at biology, major in the social sciences. Avoid math/physics/engineering unless you're ridiculously smart. Chemistry, it's a toss up.

yeah true, but one could argue that a well seasoned science major would have to put less time into studying for the MCAT since they're accustomed to the topic. For example if you asked an english major how many hydrogen bonds a C:G base pairing has would they know that off the top of their heads? probably not. A science major probably will; not because they've studied it recently but rather they've seen it too many times to forget

CG three, it rhymes. AT two, it has consonance. Any English major would know that :p

I'm a junior at a decent university (say...top 20) majoring in cognitive sciences, psychology, and biochemistry, and my grades in 300/400 level bio courses are slightly lower than 300/400 level psychology courses (just calculated - 3.81 vs 3.90). However, I would say that the courses are hard for different reasons - I've had a lot of good bio courses that require you to synthesize and apply lecture/textbook material, whereas I find that that the only psyc courses in which I performed poorly were "difficult" because the tests were very nitpicky (e.g. asking for name of a specific psychologist who hadn't been discussed in class and was mentioned in literally one sentence of the book, or requiring a very specific wording of the answer with no partial credit given).

I'm not awesome at bio - I certainly never thought it was "pathetically easy" - but I like it, and I realized after a while that although I had planned to just fulfill the premed requirements and then take a couple of other bio courses here and there, I was actually on track to getting a major. Persistence and enthusiasm are better than raw ability and a bad attitude.

I know haha i had a moment of cockiness. i got a grade back and was pumped. i apologize

Lol no worries, just know that will get you killed around here haha.

There is a kid in my calc class who doesn't understand how can a person get a C. I wanted to slap him when he said it.

Because writing extensive papers analyzing current and past international politics is easier than calculating dipole moments and memorizing cell signaling pathways? This has been said before, but you can't make comparisons like this. The generalizations just don't hold up.

So these were upper level psychology courses then? You know, the kind that make up the majority of the study a psych major pursues? Regardless of your experience, we all know that generalizing based on anecdotes is logically unsound. In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if many times attitudes like these stem from cases where a student takes an intro course (general psychology or the equivalent from X department) and assumes because it was easy that the whole major is easy. Adding to that may be the perception that students in X department (where the intro course was easy) seem to do well, though one would do well to remember that there is likely self-selection going on here. Students that do well in a particular course of study likely chose it out of intrinsic interest and motivation to pursue the material, which would contribute to their success.

Are some majors easier than others at any given school? Probably (though there may be exceptions for very rigorous schools.) Are any majors unequivocally easier than others for everyone at every school? There is no way to confidently make such a claim.

So true. I remember taking an upper division sociology course when the professor gave "one, maybe two As" per semester (her words). I put more time into each of her assignments to get that A than I did to pull the top grade in a huge organic chem class. Everything is comparative. You have to not only account for the level, but the professors/faculty of a department who have the ability to make things as complicated as they like.

There is a kid in my calc class who doesn't understand how can a person get a C. I wanted to slap him when he said it.

It really depends on the person. Calc II was definitely the easiest A I got in a college class so far. Meanwhile, I received a B the same semester in an intro psychology class. It really depends each person's strengths and weaknesses rather than generalizing the difficulties of classes.

I had to take Oncology/Hemotology, Endocrine/Reproductory, Gastrointestinal/Genitourinary, Biomedical Lab, Advanced Pharmacoeconomics, and Clinical Pharmacokinetics.

No, that **** was not easy at all. Goddamn people in this thread taking organic and calculus :|

I had to take Oncology/Hemotology, Endocrine/Reproductory, Gastrointestinal/Genitourinary, Biomedical Lab, Advanced Pharmacoeconomics, and Clinical Pharmacokinetics.

No, that **** was not easy at all. Goddamn people in this thread taking organic and calculus :|

Aren't you in pharm school?

Never underestimate the amount of lying and ego boosting people do. It is pretty easy to tell a random person how "easy" classes are and how they don't understand how someone can struggle.

Some things come naturally for some people and not for others. There are classes with difficult material and difficult grading and others that may be the complete opposite.

Depends on the school, my uni is medicore. But I have some pre-med friends that go to a uni, and for all their classes the teacher gives them study guides for the test... Study guide rule is a mandate at their uni., if I know beforehand I would of went with them.

It really depends on the person. Calc II was definitely the easiest A I got in a college class so far. Meanwhile, I received a B the same semester in an intro psychology class. It really depends each person's strengths and weaknesses rather than generalizing the difficulties of classes.

He meant in general. Like he was surprised how can anyone get a C ever in any class in college.

If you do poorly for your freshman classes, it might be more noticeable if you managed to achieve 4.0's and worked harder after a disappointing result. Everyone has their moments of weaknesses. That guy just wasn't willing to show you his.

I love how on SDN every pre-med attends a school or majors in something with extremely difficult classes. Even the CC crowd complains about it.

Gotta love easy state schools, i guess :D

I majored in government and minored in philosophy then did a post-bacc, and my upper-division philosophy classes were definitely more difficult than my science classes. They weren't crazy hard, but harder than biology. I think science majors, and pre-meds in particular, just like to gripe.

It really depends on where you go and what your major program is like. Some schools are ridiculously hard (CalTech physics and math, for example), and others have programs that are known to be overwhelming for some courses (Wake Forest chemistry). Major in something you enjoy and in which you excel, and don't worry about the couple of people who think your classes are really easy. Everyone hits a challenge class eventually, whether in high school, college, or medical school. You'll also find that some people think that medical school is easy (though, in my class, it was more correlated with how much people study, rather than their natural ability).

From a math/comp sci professor's perspective, I try to make my courses fairly demanding but grade leniently at the end (some curves I enjoy are taking 70's to A's). Others make the work load light and grade leniently. Others make their class impossible. It really depends on who you have for courses and what their deparment heads' philosophy is.

This sounds like something some of my engineering friends would say. They (especially one Material Science know-it-al girl) would tell me that the pre-med pre-reqs are very easy and the difficulty of getting into medical school is nothing compared to doing well in engineering. (I go to a UC that is completely divided up by major its so freakin stupid) They make me mad :mad: and then I wanna beat them up :beat:. But I just remember that I am following my passion and nothing that they can say will defer me from becoming a health professional.

You are a freshman and in my opionion you are supposed to be struggling and working hard to keep you grades up. Besides that kid is probably full of crap.

I wouldn't say easy, exactly, but I feel like the material just comes naturally to me. I've had courses where it has been hard, but I've made it through, so maybe I fit your description of somebody who finds the material easy? (Sophomore, Molecular/Cell Bio (Neurobio) and Chem double major and Math Minor, all A's so far for anyone curious)

You think freshman college students ought to struggle?

I think its very very very normal for them to struggle in there first year. Espicially, the ones who didn't take honors, AP, or IB classes in HS. I think if I had took all easy non-science intro courses when I was a freshman, and didn't challenge myself early in the game with math and science courses, I don't think that would be able to keep up in my science courses now. :oops:

You'd be surprised how many people manage to pull off A's in a subject when they really don't understand ****. I know one kid with a 4.0 GPA who cant get into med school cause he can't score above mid 20's on the MCAT. There can be a HUGE difference in the same introductory class between two schools. The thing that's hard to do in science classes is take information you know and use that information to solve new problems. I find that schools either recognize this and emphasize it, or simply regurgitate old material leading to memorization rather than understanding. Memorization is easy. Truly understanding in the sense that you can apply the material to unfamiliar situations is hard.

If you have a 3.7, they're easy.

I should probably be using this time to study...lol. But no a 3.7+ doesn't necessarily mean that the classes are easy. I started with a 3.8 Freshman year (took all the general courses) and my GPA is a 3.5 at the moment after taking the hard science classes. Bare in mind that it also depends on which school you go to. My school is among the hardest college graders(there was even an article about it..lol), and is among the top medical school in my state (VA). Some schools however in my state and beyond have been known to inflate their grades something that med schools also take into consideration. Major choice does also play a big role. For me if had chosen and English Major then having a 4.0 gpa would not have been a problem, but oh well I stuck with Biology because I like Bio.

Work hard and you should be able to maintain your GPA. That would mean less social time and more studying unless you are one of those people who are good at procrastinating .

I majored in government and minored in philosophy then did a post-bacc, and my upper-division philosophy classes were definitely more difficult than my science classes. They weren't crazy hard, but harder than biology. I think science majors, and pre-meds in particular, just like to gripe.

In some parts, this is true. However, nationally, biological/physical science majors have the lowest GPA's when compared to Humanities, Social Science, and Business majors.

I do think that most Premeds like to whine about their course difficulty though. I've been in a number of classes where students professed the class was impossible or the professor unreasonable when it's actually not that bad.