Anyone Else Have a Scattered Prerequisite Schedule Like This?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Willie Pep

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting my prereqs in a few weeks. I'm going to be taking them at two different community colleges. I'm doing the Anat/Phys sequence this summer, although I may have to take the lab for the second part of the series in the Fall b/c its all full for the summer even though the lecture isn't. :scared: And I'm taking chem this fall at one CC, physics and psychology at another. In the spring it will probably be spread between the two again. This is all due to classes being full.

Also, due to scheduling issues I'll only be taking one bio class before I apply to PT school next year. Thankfully I've noticed many schools don't require bio or only one course.

What do you guys think about this schedule overall? Do you think it will make an unfavorable impression on admissions boards?

Members don't see this ad.

That's how I did it. Mostly unrelated undergrad degree at 1 university. Took pre-reqs 3 years later at 2 comm. colleges and another university. I took the class wherever I could get in.

I got in to the 2 schools I applied. Even discussed it in my interview (although it was hard to tell what they thought). They liked that I had experience with online classes though - something I had considered potentially a negative.

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting my prereqs in a few weeks. I'm going to be taking them at two different community colleges. I'm doing the Anat/Phys sequence this summer, although I may have to take the lab for the second part of the series in the Fall b/c its all full for the summer even though the lecture isn't. :scared: And I'm taking chem this fall at one CC, physics and psychology at another. In the spring it will probably be spread between the two again. This is all due to classes being full.

Also, due to scheduling issues I'll only be taking one bio class before I apply to PT school next year. Thankfully I've noticed many schools don't require bio or only one course.

What do you guys think about this schedule overall? Do you think it will make an unfavorable impression on admissions boards?

Wow...you totally sound like me. Here's what I did:

Senior year...decided to go PT route halfway through fall semester (communications/dance major, so basically no prereqs done previously).
- took anatomy at my undergrad school winter quarter, while simultaneously taking physics I at the local community college, about 30 minutes from my undergrad school/my apartment (CC #1)

Summer after senior year/graduation:
- Chem I at my home community college, 20 min from my parents' house (CC #2)
- Anatomy cadaver dissection course at CC#2
- Online psych class at CC#2
...meanwhile I'm primarily living in my apartment at my undergrad school (1.5 hours from my parents' house), and working 3 days a week at a PT clinic down the street from my apartment

Fall of my year off/application year (living at my parents' house now, also working 2 jobs, one at a PT clinic 30 min away, and at a high school nearby):
- Intro to Bio at CC#2
- Microbio at CC#2
- 2 credit physiology course at CC#2
- Gen Chem II at CC #1 (about an hour away)
- 2 credit advanced physiology course through my undergrad college, done as a special topic/independent study

Spring of my year off:
- Calculus at CC #2
- Physics II at Community College #3 (located 5 min from the PT clinic I now work at, about 35/40 min from my house...I'm out of district so I had my boss sign off and say I work full time so I could get in-district rates).

....yeah. I got interviews everywhere I applied (that offer interviews anyway), and I got into 2 schools....so you should be fine as long as you do well in your classes and have some good observation experience/recommendations :) I had to do a very convoluted schedule to get everything completed within the year, to work with my work schedule, etc. It's really hard though, mentally, to know where you're supposed to be and to stay on top of things. If you can do it well though, you should be fine :) Try to get in-district tuition though at the CCs so you can save some money...right now I'm "in-district" at 3 schools...the first I used my college apartment address, so they think I still live there, the second is my actual district CC, and the third I got through work.

Don't worry, it won't affect your application AT ALL! My post-bac courses crammed into 2 years in the evenings and weekends (I work during the day) at 4 different schools! The fact that I went to 4 different schools to fit in the course work never came up in my interviews. If anything, I'd think it shows commitment and won't negatively impact your application. The pain is when you have to have transcripts mailed in to PTCAS and to non-PTCAS schools: I went to a total of 6 colleges in my lifetime. :eek:

I applied to 8 programs. I got invited to interview at every school that interviews. I withdrew my application from 1 program due to a prereq issue, got turned down by 1 program, never heard back from 1 post-interview and got into 5.

Just do well in your courses (and GRE), volunteer in different settings, get solid recommendations and you won't have a problem at all! :luck: