Anyone else having a mild case of cold feet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was thinking about this today - how I've wanted this and been working so hard for it for so long and now that I have it, I'm kind of thrown for a loop. Reminds me of this time I saw a dog catch a squirrel. It sort of stopped like "well, now what do I do?" It still feels really strange to have made it.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah but it is really cool strange feeling isn't it! Myself I am just having a real bad case of senioritis. I don't even have to graduate from the MS program I am trying to finish, in order to be able to start vet school in the fall -- makes motivating myself to study each night just that little bit more daunting. :p

Definitely a good strange, not a bad strange...and I totally get the senioritis. I took 4 classes this semester, and made my decision...oh, about 48 hours after the drop deadline. Only need one of them for WI, and only a C at that. I should pull out just fine...but making myself care about calculus has been a study in self-discipline. Luckily, I saved the easy classes for this semester figuring something like this would happen...I know myself too well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just don't think I'm a 60-70 hr/wk person.

I have been having major cold feet and I think this is a major part of it. That and having to relocate to a crappier location for a good job, or having to remain here for the rest of my life for a good job. With my interests, I don't know how feasible it is for me to expect to come home and not have to do work-related things. Do researchers write at work and come home and relax? What about zoo vets? It definitely doesn't seem like an option if I stay in academia.

Oh, and having no free time. How do you destress if you've got no time? I don't want to go insane before I'm 21.

I think I'll be okay with the studying once I learn how to. I am a die-hard night before studier. I know that I should stop, but it works, so nothing's pushing me to change.

I don't even have to graduate from the MS program I am trying to finish, in order to be able to start vet school in the fall

I'm with you there! Comps are over, 1 of my 2 classes this semester is done, teaching is pretty much done, and now I need to keep my motivation up over the summer to get my thesis finished and defended.

Yeah but it is really cool strange feeling isn't it! Myself I am just having a real bad case of senioritis. I don't even have to graduate from the MS program I am trying to finish, in order to be able to start vet school in the fall -- makes motivating myself to study each night just that little bit more daunting. :p

I know, right?! I'm having a hard time writing my thesis...I want to finish it, but I just cannot get words on paper (haha, or on screen as the case may be).

Pardon me. I just had to step in here and say something:

HOLY CRAP!!!!!! :scared: :eek: :scared: :eek:

Thank you.

Oh and by the way, as a "young'un" at 24 going on 25, I'll certainly be one of the OLDEST people in my class, as the average UK student at uni is ~18!

As a non-trad heading to a UK school, this does not help! :p

I know some people are trying to studying in the summer and try to get ahead, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

haha, well if it's me you're referring to... I haven't... I'm trying to motivate myself to do it only because Orsini told me to, gave me the book, and will expect me to have once class starts... but so far, I can't motivate myself.

And there are always a few people from every class that drop/fail out. And no one ever thinks it's going to be them at the beginning.

It won't be you. Or me. Or dgm. Those people might not going in expecting to fail, but there are people who go in with the "C= VMD" attitude, and when the come just short of making that C, or they get to the next level, and that C's worth of info isn't enough to get them to the next C... that's where failure happens. We're motivated, we care about the grades, we're smart, and the two of you both seem like you're able to destress when you need to (esp. dgm... what a lush :p). We'll be fine, and we won't have to sink to Loretta Gage levels of study to get there (I hope...) :D

We'll be fine, and we won't have to sink to Loretta Gage levels of study to get there (I hope...) :D

Good, because I'm pretty sure my drinking schedule precludes that. (J/k... kindof).

Good point. I never gave much thought to cumulative classes. Probably my current state of denial.

Ahhahahah! I wish I could rise to her study levels! Sadly, I prefer a drink and a good nap. I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll be breathing new life into the friday happy hour.

I think our class single-handedly (is that a word??) kept the bars open this year! After every test we would meet at "the office"...code for bar. :) It was so nice to celebrate with the class. And now we're done!!! You guys can all do it too. Just don't resort to alcoholism! ;)

I think our class single-handedly (is that a word??) kept the bars open this year! After every test we would meet at "the office"...code for bar. :) It was so nice to celebrate with the class. And now we're done!!! You guys can all do it too. Just don't resort to alcoholism! ;)

Ha! We actually have 2 bars called The Office (The Office in Urbana and The Office II in Champaign).

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished my last exam (non-trad, distance learning) and have 1 DAY of work left!

However, I have lots of painting to do! Argh!

Like, painting the house? I have to do a lot of that too, only I still have to work. Lol. The bedroom is now 'jalapeno jelly' by Valspar, but it needs a third coat it looks like. And we're painting all the trim white, throughout the house. What a pain. But it will look much better when we're finished!

All I feel like doing when I think about actually starting vet school is... :barf:

I'm so glad everyone else feels this way too! I am just so nervous and worried that I'm going to burn out or realize that I should have been doing something else with my life. Plus I'm only 21 and I feel like I'm sacrificing my "prime" to studying and cooping myself up for 4 more years!! Ugh...

Plus I'm only 21 and I feel like I'm sacrificing my "prime" to studying and cooping myself up for 4 more years!! Ugh...

I can assure you....the early 20's are ok, but i would not consider them your 'prime' years :eek:. I think if you ask anyone in their 30's or even 40's if they wanted to go back to that time in their life, the answer is typically no way. So, you should be just fine and will have plenty of time to enjoy your prime years after school!

I don't want to go into work anymore...does that count as senioritis??:)

I so totally can relate to this. I have NO desire to be productive at work. Luckily it's been slow. :laugh:

ugh I'm right there with you. I picked up some extra hours at work, so am now working over 40 hours between a couple jobs, and i'm enjoying the paychecks, but am just counting the days till i take a month off before school starts... then i think about school and have the same reaction as Lckynmbrslefman lol

i question every day if i'll be able to handle it...

ugh I'm right there with you. I picked up some extra hours at work, so am now working over 40 hours between a couple jobs, and i'm enjoying the paychecks, but am just counting the days till i take a month off before school starts... then i think about school and have the same reaction as Lckynmbrslefman lol

i question every day if i'll be able to handle it...

Only 1 job at FT (not 2)--other than that, that's my life right now as well. Excited, but freaking out a little at the same time....Just yesterday, a vet that I sometimes work with dropped by with a bunch of her old Tufts materials for me to look through (old notes, schedules, some texts, etc.) Ooof. :eek: But we'll get through it together & be OK.

Hey Guppy--just a heads up: I interviewed at Tufts two cycles back and stayed at their alpha psi (frat) house there on campus. The students there mentioned the token one or two freshmen every year who drop out in the first week. Apparently they try to scare the poo out of students that first week (I guess to get rid of any weak links). Don't ask me how exactly--the frat students didn't go into details.

I don't have cold feet, but I am wondering how the rug'll be pulled out from under me--that I'll bomb my biochem final or the financial stuff won't come together. I guess I won't really believe it 'til I'm sitting in class that first day this August.

Hey Guppy--just a heads up: I interviewed at Tufts two cycles back and stayed at their alpha psi (frat) house there on campus. The students there mentioned the token one or two freshmen every year who drop out in the first week. Apparently they try to scare the poo out of students that first week (I guess to get rid of any weak links). Don't ask me how exactly--the frat students didn't go into details.

I don't have cold feet, but I am wondering how the rug'll be pulled out from under me--that I'll bomb my biochem final or the financial stuff won't come together. I guess I won't really believe it 'til I'm sitting in class that first day this August.

This wasn't the case with our class. We had a few people drop out during or after the first semester but it wasn't the first week. I my opinion they didn't try to scare us at all--but keeping up with course work was emphasised.

Thanks for the info--I'll keep all this in mind & brace myself come August. But I was planning on doing that anyway.....

Good luck on the biochem final, Catnapper! :luck:

Thanks! And I hope Angelo's right--that they don't in fact scare the poo out of you! :p

This thread was interesting for me so I bumped it up.

Even better, a year ago TT was still the amazing thread finder. Some things never change.

Well to continue in the vein for the new round of us to get cold feet:

Yes. Was reading a post earlier today on VIN from a new grad and a case they diagnosed, the jargon they were using, etc. and was like "holy **** I only have 4 years to get to that level!"

Totally off topic, but we can get VIN accounts now? Sweet!

While I am far from having cold feet, I am still rather intimidated by everything since I have no LA experience and a limited science background. However, I just want to school to start! I'm excited :)

Totally off topic, but we can get VIN accounts now? Sweet!
Yah I got denied earlier before I had decided on a vet school but filled in the data again recently with my vet school and expected graduation date and they let me in the next day. I guess since TAMU has our classes assigned to us now they can verify that we're actually enrolled.

I have gotten all my textbooks for the FIRST semester...and when I stack them up, they reach my hip. This is scary lol

I've gotten one text, and my puppy chewed the bottom corner off of it. Thanks...might be doing some pre-vet school practice.

IMG_1107.jpg

Whoa! That's crazy! I haven't started to even think about books yet. But Mississippi starts early, right?

Whoa, MS starts July 1st?!

I say we get all the miss. state SDNers to take a picture together at the coating ceremony July 1st and post it :)

Ooh, it'd be cool if all the SDNers could do this at their coating ceremonies as the schools start.

our ceremony isn't until after 3rd year, before we start clinicals.

Ooh, it'd be cool if all the SDNers could do this at their coating ceremonies as the schools start.

...I would be willing to take on the responsibility for organizing a Coating class photo and posting it for ISU... especially if others are willing to do it for their class...

VIN told me that they would activate mine on August 1.

Nyanko; they activated mine today!!!!! =) I would try to set it up again, all they need is your vet med school email address. =) Which I think for you, it hasn't changed right?

How about the students that have their white coat ceremonies as soon as they get there take one and those that don't have them immediately (such as myself) just get together and take a group photo. Granted, it won't look as nice...but it's just nice to have an idea.

How about someone take a pic of their class at the beginning of their own c/o 2014 semester, and post it? White coat, blue coat, (no coat til 3rd year) orientation pic, etc. [like wolfpack87 suggested]. I think it would be fun!

Nyanko; they activated mine today!!!!! =) I would try to set it up again, all they need is your vet med school email address. =) Which I think for you, it hasn't changed right?

Yeah but here's the response I got:

Since you still working towards your masters and will not start your vet degree program until September, your membership will remain with VSPN. We have raised a flag to switch you over to VIN as a vet student at the beginning of August at which time you will receive an email letting you know this has happened.

Maybe it's because I was a member of VSPN before I guess?

I have gotten all my textbooks for the FIRST semester...and when I stack them up, they reach my hip. This is scary lol

Please tell me you are 4'11??